HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

What puck moving defender would your team trade???

Old
10-25-2009, 03:33 PM
CupofOil

vCash: 500
What would you give the Oilers for Gilbert? 45 pt season last year $4 mil/yr cap hit

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 03:35 PM
CupofOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof Daddy View Post
I'd rather move Grebs. A deal surrounding Clarkson would be ideal, which was discussed on these boards before the season (where my Oiler brethren claimed I'm crazy to value Clarkson that much. Ha!).

Grebs is high risk, high reward, but there's no doubt about his skill level and ability to jump up in the play. He currently has 1 less point than the entire Devils D. Clarkson is off to a hot start, but in all reality he's a 20G 45pt light heavyweight tough guy. I think he'd look great on the wing with Brule and Comrie. We'd likely have to make it a 2 for 1 and move a forward. Can't remember if this is close to what I originally proposed before the season, but:

To NJ: Grebeshkov, Pouliot

To EDM: Clarkson, 2nd
You would rather trade Grebs over Gilbert Why?

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 04:02 PM
Rob Nieds work ethic
Swarm it up Devils!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laoghaire View Post
Josefson for Campoli? I noticed he isn't on your list.
The Sens would have to add. The Devils are super high on Josefson. I would trade Tedenby before Josefson.

Rob Nieds work ethic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 04:07 PM
hlundqvist30*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVILS ALL THE WAY View Post
Eckford or Corrente can do the job if Lou doesn't want to jeopardise the youth he's been adding threw the past couple of drafts via trades.

You do realise that we're the New Jersey Devils and the main thing from our GM is not to panic when those kind of situations come up. We are not the Rangers and we won't trade away half our roster just because we had a key player go down to injury. Some guy by the name of Martin Brodeur got injured last year, did we panic, no... did we trade for another goaltender, no... did we finish 1st in the division over the Pens, the Flyers, the Isles and the Rags, YES !!!

Lou will take his time and be patient... did you expect anything different ?!?!?
I can't comment about Eckford but I know that Corrente was a major dissapointment in camp. Both are hardly good puck movers at this time.

And I never said anything about the Devils "trading half the roster." All I said was that I find it laughable that anyone could believe that the Devils could even replace half of Martin's ability from within.

And I'm tired of hearing about Lou "taking his time and being patient." Where the hell has that gotten the Devils the past few years? The Devils won their cups with bold moves. Malakhov for Souray; McKay and Arnott for Nieuwendyk and Langenbrunner; Kozlov for Berglund; Rolston for Lemieux; which one of these moves showed Lou being "patient and taking his time"? What the hell has been Lou's boldest move since the lockout? Trading for Nik Havelid?

I'm not suggesting Lou should panic and sell the farm for Tomas Kaberle, but every time something appeared to have been wrong Lou has attempted to handle it by either calling up some journeyman from the minors or trading for a depth piece.

The Devils lost Brodeur and still won the division. Woopdie ****ing doo. They then proceeded to collapse at home in game 7 of the first round. A bunch of first and 2nd round exits is acceptable for a team like the Rangers who has been a pile of **** for previous years. A team like the Devils, who has been a winner in the recent past and has the "greatest goalie of all time" in net, shouldn't accept such mediocrity.

Once again, I'm not suggesting blowing up the roster, but the idea that Lou's "safe" approach, which has failed since the lockout, is now suddenly going to work, is a laughable idea. The only thing Lou seems inclined to ever change is his head coach, and no matter who has been at the head recently the same results have occurred.

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 04:38 PM
Stu Macher

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
How about Brian Pothier? A bit expensive for a supporting player, but he'll be a UFA so it's no big commitment. This is assuming the Caps are comfortable moving him, of course, and that may not end up being the case.
I was thinking the same thing.

Stu Macher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 04:42 PM
Alex28*

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
How about Brian Pothier? A bit expensive for a supporting player, but he'll be a UFA so it's no big commitment. This is assuming the Caps are comfortable moving him, of course, and that may not end up being the case.
Rather not move him. Without him our 3rd pairing will get dominated. We need more able puckmovers not less. Plus he's probably the only defenseman we have capable of making smart decisions with the puck under pressure.

Would be very solid for the Devils though if he's just allowed to do his thing.

Alex28* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 04:45 PM
BPD

We'll seriously give you Rozy or Redden for Marty's nutritionist.

BPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 04:47 PM
BPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlundqvist30 View Post
I can't comment about Eckford but I know that Corrente was a major dissapointment in camp. Both are hardly good puck movers at this time.

And I never said anything about the Devils "trading half the roster." All I said was that I find it laughable that anyone could believe that the Devils could even replace half of Martin's ability from within.

And I'm tired of hearing about Lou "taking his time and being patient." Where the hell has that gotten the Devils the past few years? The Devils won their cups with bold moves. Malakhov for Souray; McKay and Arnott for Nieuwendyk and Langenbrunner; Kozlov for Berglund; Rolston for Lemieux; which one of these moves showed Lou being "patient and taking his time"? What the hell has been Lou's boldest move since the lockout? Trading for Nik Havelid?

I'm not suggesting Lou should panic and sell the farm for Tomas Kaberle, but every time something appeared to have been wrong Lou has attempted to handle it by either calling up some journeyman from the minors or trading for a depth piece.

The Devils lost Brodeur and still won the division. Woopdie ****ing doo. They then proceeded to collapse at home in game 7 of the first round. A bunch of first and 2nd round exits is acceptable for a team like the Rangers who has been a pile of **** for previous years. A team like the Devils, who has been a winner in the recent past and has the "greatest goalie of all time" in net, shouldn't accept such mediocrity.

Once again, I'm not suggesting blowing up the roster, but the idea that Lou's "safe" approach, which has failed since the lockout, is now suddenly going to work, is a laughable idea. The only thing Lou seems inclined to ever change is his head coach, and no matter who has been at the head recently the same results have occurred.
The biggest problem the Devils have right now is ZERO depth. At the very least they should have made signings for Lowell in the offseason. Now, faced with critical injuries to critical players, instead of being able to call up a capable stop-gap, the years and years of mediocre drafts have finally caught up.

Unfortunately, if Martin is done for a long time, your hands are tied. Lou either does something or watch his offense and defense sink as Colin White tries his best impersonation of a competent defender.

BPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 04:55 PM
knivez

Chicago fans should be ALL over this.

knivez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 04:56 PM
hlundqvist30*

Quote:
Originally Posted by knivez View Post
Chicago fans should be ALL over this.
No way are the Devils taking Campbell.

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 04:56 PM
Roof Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gio14 View Post
Clarkson will not go, he is doing amazing right now.

Untouchable
Parise
Zajac
Bergfors
Clarkson
Elias
Langenbrunner
Oduya
Martin

I wouldn't be surprised to see Tendenby or Rolston go in a blockbuster deal.
If those players scream "blockbuster" to you, I have a feeling you'll be grossly disappointed with your "blockbuster" return... though maybe not given your untouchables list. Parise and Zajac - absoultely. After that I have trouble understanding why the remaining players are untouchable. Clarkson is about as good a player as you could hope for in his particular role, but if your team isn't willing to move a good 3rd liner/fringe 2nd liner then I wouldn't expect a high calibre PMD in return.

Roof Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 05:08 PM
Roof Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
You would rather trade Grebs over Gilbert Why?
While both have struggled in their own zone early this season, I feel Gilbert is the superior defensive player of the two. Rarely does Gilbert take any penalties, let alone bad ones, and yet he's very active with his stick. That's a defensive intangible I don't see Grebs using. For sure Grebs has the higher offensive potential, but it comes with risky play. Last night his spinerama at the blueline turns into a Borque shorty - though I've seen him score/set up goals with the exact same move. Exciting? Yes, but a good PP shouldn't rely on coinflip theatrics. As well, who knows what kind of money Grebs will be looking for next year. If he wants 4mil, I think you have to choose between him and Gilbert

Bottom line, we have a guy who can provide better puck movement with less risk attached (Vis). After that Gilbert and Souray are solid in their puck movement without the high risk plays attached. Also, Grebs may hold greater value to teams like Jersey who are completely deprived of offense from the back end because he's more dynamic in that regard.

Old
10-25-2009, 05:08 PM
thedoctor
                    

no interest in Liles? He's available for the right price...

thedoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 05:10 PM
ericnut

Ryan Whtiney.

ericnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 05:23 PM
Erickkelly26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClericMercenaryAgent View Post
Apparently the Avs are ready to trade Liles, I'm sure Preissing and Clark could be had as well.
The Avs will not trade Liles. Once he was down injured, they realized how important he was to the sucess of their power play

Erickkelly26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 05:26 PM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

Quote:
While both have struggled in their own zone early this season, I feel Gilbert is the superior defensive player of the two. Rarely does Gilbert take any penalties, let alone bad ones, and yet he's very active with his stick. That's a defensive intangible I don't see Grebs using. For sure Grebs has the higher offensive potential, but it comes with risky play. Last night his spinerama at the blueline turns into a Borque shorty - though I've seen him score/set up goals with the exact same move. Exciting? Yes, but a good PP shouldn't rely on coinflip theatrics. As well, who knows what kind of money Grebs will be looking for next year. If he wants 4mil, I think you have to choose between him and Gilbert

Bottom line, we have a guy who can provide better puck movement with less risk attached (Vis). After that Gilbert and Souray are solid in their puck movement without the high risk plays attached. Also, Grebs may hold greater value to teams like Jersey who are completely deprived of offense from the back end because he's more dynamic in that regard.
I agree on one count. As bad as Gilbert has been defensively this year, Grebeshkov has been worse. At the same time I wouldn't trade either guy. They are too talented. They have it in them to be good all around dmen. Those 2 and Smid are imo untouchable unless it's for some kind of superstar.

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 05:44 PM
Czech Trio
from jersey

Quote:
If those players scream "blockbuster" to you, I have a feeling you'll be grossly disappointed with your "blockbuster" return... though maybe not given your untouchables list. Parise and Zajac - absoultely. After that I have trouble understanding why the remaining players are untouchable. Clarkson is about as good a player as you could hope for in his particular role, but if your team isn't willing to move a good 3rd liner/fringe 2nd liner then I wouldn't expect a high calibre PMD in return.
I would take a closer look, Tendenby, Rolston, and a first rounder will go far. Salvador is a solid stay at home defender. I'm just saying we have a lot of good guys that just need some time to adjust.

Again let me say it WE DONT NEED A MIKE GREEN!!!!!!!!!!!

You people think the Devils need a Shea Weber or Green!

Czech Trio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 05:58 PM
Sitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoctor View Post
no interest in Liles? He's available for the right price...
No hes not.

Sitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 06:50 PM
Roof Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gio14 View Post
I would take a closer look, Tendenby, Rolston, and a first rounder will go far. Salvador is a solid stay at home defender. I'm just saying we have a lot of good guys that just need some time to adjust.

Again let me say it WE DONT NEED A MIKE GREEN!!!!!!!!!!!

You people think the Devils need a Shea Weber or Green!
Adding Rolston in a package is basically devaluing the package. 5mil per for the next 3 yrs for a guy who will be 37 in February. You really think teams are desperate for a guy who might put up 50 pts - and thats a big maybe. Solid 2way guy, but overpaid and old.

Old
10-25-2009, 08:44 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlundqvist30 View Post

That's the MAIN difference between the Rangers and the Devils. It's not a team based around "big name players" but players based in a "team concept". We can lose Gomez, Holik, Rafalski, Madden, Niedermayer, etc, etc, etc... and not lose a step. Lou will always find a way to make this team competitive no matter what happens. If you think that we dropped the ball last year against Carolina in the 1st round, you might be right but last time I checked there's only one team that won Lord Stanley, so there's 29 other teams that failed. Working with a salary cap isn't the same thing it was when you could trade who ever to whom ever without worrying about $$$. Look at the Hawks (or closer to home, the Rangers ) who signed Campbell, Huet, Hossa, Madden, etc... now they're screwed cause it leaves them zero flexibility to resign RFA's like Toews, Kane and Keith. It's a business and the best way to "invest" is to get the best return for your buck. We have Mike Mottau who is a solid d-men and earns peanuts... you have Redden who is almost on the same level and earns 6M$. Lou has not made a "important" move in a long time but who's to say that he didn't try ?!?!? You might want something but if the other party doesn't want to "dance", there's really not much you can do.

Matt Corrente and Tyler Eckford can do the job for a short period of time, no doubt about it. Corrente had a awesome training camp last year but the same thing can't be said this year. Eckford had a good training camp and a solid pre-season so saying that he's not able to prove himself in the big league is a strech. Can you honestly tell me that you thought Del Zotto was gonna put up the #'s he's putting at the moment ??? There's this perception that the Devils have no depth and that they have zero relief once the "big names" will be gone but to the surprise of everyone, they'll be on top... ONCE AGAIN !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPD View Post
The biggest problem the Devils have right now is ZERO depth. At the very least they should have made signings for Lowell in the offseason. Now, faced with critical injuries to critical players, instead of being able to call up a capable stop-gap, the years and years of mediocre drafts have finally caught up.

Unfortunately, if Martin is done for a long time, your hands are tied. Lou either does something or watch his offense and defense sink as Colin White tries his best impersonation of a competent defender.
The New Jersey Devils and Lou Lamoriello have done wonders with this team over the last 20 years or so. They missed the playoffs once in the last what, 15 or 16 years !!! We were drafting in the mid/late 20's for the past decade, so adding depth like the bottom feeding teams that picked in the top 10 wasn't gonna happen and throwing big bucks for UFA's isn't "the Devils way" of doing business. Saying that our depth is weak is not accurate at all. The Devils won't pick the B.P.A. in a draft... they'll pick wich ever player is best suited for our "system". We don't have to throw $$$ at every big name UFA that's available during the summer cause that's not the way we do things in Devils land. They have a mindset that no other team (maybe Detroit and Buffalo) has and that's built your team from within and not vice-versa.

Like I've mentionned before, we've been losing key players for years and yet, we managed to always be part of the elite. It's a team game and the fact that we've been dressing a mediocre defense (on paper) for the past 5 years or so, we've been able to finish on top. The players don't make the system but the system can make a player.

Last edited by DEVILS ALL THE WAY*: 10-25-2009 at 08:54 PM.
DEVILS ALL THE WAY* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 08:49 PM
dobiezeke*

From the Oilers:

Gilbert - has great offensive puck moving skills

Staios - Is great at moving the puck towards the opponents or his own net...

dobiezeke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 09:13 PM
TheRealThornton22

Andrew Ference?

TheRealThornton22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 09:17 PM
tzinc

What would the Devils want for Kaberle?

tzinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 09:28 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

You want Kevin Klein on your team.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 09:35 PM
ItsOurGame

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzinc View Post
What would the Devils want for Kaberle?
ummm...I think you baffled that sentence.
Clarkson, Corrente/Cormier and a 1st would be my absolute minimum, and probably still wouldn't do it. In a year we don't have our first we can't be trading our 'only' puck mover and arguably our best player for the future.

ItsOurGame is offline   Reply With Quote