HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Question from Habs fan - Why did LA trade Michael Cammalleri?

Old
10-25-2009, 04:34 PM
SFKingshomer

vCash: 500
Cammy would look good riding the pine next to Frolov.

SFKingshomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 04:46 PM
habspinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishhead View Post
The tax rate for players in California is about 45%, not that far off from Quebec, really. It cost more tax money to play in some locales, but think of it this way. Out of that $1M extra Cammy took he would only get around $50K less than if he took the same offer from the Kings.

Alberta's rates aren't that far off from Quebec, IIRC. I'm also pretty sure they have a special tax of 12.5% levied against all NHL players, visiting and home, that play in the province. If anything Cammy may have gotten taxed more as a Flame than as a Hab, not the other way around.
Sorry my friend - I work and live in Montreal and the company I work for is based in Alberta - the highest tax rate in Alberta combined with the Federal tax is 41% - I've never heard of the 12.5% tax rate in Alberta levied on NHL players, I would think that would be unnecessary considering the fact that only recently Alberta is running with a deficit (since the price of oil dropped below 65$). Alberta is the richest province in all of Canada by far, with the lowest tax rates in the country, probably even lower than most of the US.

habspinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 05:12 PM
Fishhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by habspinner View Post
Sorry my friend - I work and live in Montreal and the company I work for is based in Alberta - the highest tax rate in Alberta combined with the Federal tax is 41% - I've never heard of the 12.5% tax rate in Alberta levied on NHL players, I would think that would be unnecessary considering the fact that only recently Alberta is running with a deficit (since the price of oil dropped below 65$). Alberta is the richest province in all of Canada by far, with the lowest tax rates in the country, probably even lower than most of the US.
I remember when the law was talked about 5 years ago and the players losing their grievance.

Here's a link: http://www.cbc.ca/sports/story/2003/...rta030305.html

Even at 41%, players in Alberta are paying 53.5%. Not saying Albertans pay more taxes overall, just that players do. Several cities in the US also have a tax on players, but it's usually just visiting players and not home ones like the Alberta Tax.

Regardless, my original point was actually that the taxes players pay have a minimal effect on where they sign. We have states here that have zero state income taxes - Florida and Texas most notably. It's not like these states have an easier time paying players or drawing talent. California has some of the highest taxes in the nation, yet tons of high profile free agents sign on here in many sports. At least here, it's pretty easy to just to find write-off's and things to ease State tax burdens. No one would ever say the Lakers are at a disadvantage signing players because there are way higher taxes here than most of the nation. On the contrary, their history makes players want to come play here even if the tax hit is higher, and I would guess it would be the same for a storied franchise such as Montreal.

Fishhead is offline   Reply With Quote