HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Habs win in OT !

Old
10-25-2009, 01:42 AM
TankEller*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPrice View Post
I would love to see Higgins back. He did score 27 goals with us only a couple years ago. He just had an off year like the rest of the team last year. He is a top 6 forward, and when he isn't scoring makes for a great 3rd liner.
Koivu made a 30 goals scorer out of Zednik and a regular 25 goals scorer out of Brian Savage.

Koivu had many defaults, but his linemates always looked better offensively when paired with him. Making his linemates better is something he excells at, just watch how Latendresse and D'Agostini did with him... Even Sergei Kostitsyn in his first season was a beast with Saku... Tanguay, a pass-first player, looked like a goal scorer with him...

Higgins is a 18-22 goals scorer with great defensive talents. But he's in no way a top-6 forwards... He'll do good in the ideal conditions, but he's more of a great 3rd line player... Which is what he was drafted for anyway.

TankEller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 08:02 AM
Perrah

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
I'm really happy with Cammalleri, Gionta, Gomez, Chipchura, Latendresse, Plekanec, and D'Agostini. Metropolit was solid, Pacioretty was decent.

On defense, I wasn't thrilled with much. Spacek had a poor game, Gill was pretty bad, MAB was great on the PP but very scary in our zone quite a few times. Mara, Hamrlik, and Gorges were solid but not as good as they have been. Gorges' ""poor play"", is a result of being paired with Hal Gill, IMO.

Halak was pretty good, but not excellent. Most of the goals scored against him were incredible goals he had very little chance on. I thought the 1st goal was a bit weak, but the next 3 goals were as you'd say .. "good goals.". He made a couple of great saves in the final 10ish minutes of the game to secure 1-point (and later 2-points).

10-points on the season, 5-5, up to 9th in conference. Keep it up, boys!
4th was a little weak, Gaborik practically walked it into the net. Just making sure I have this right, the slot one timers are incredible goals with no chance?
Solid game though doesnt matter who plays next game either.

Perrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 08:26 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrah View Post
4th was a little weak, Gaborik practically walked it into the net. Just making sure I have this right, the slot one timers are incredible goals with no chance?
Solid game though doesnt matter who plays next game either.
As soon as you said the 4th goal was weak, I kind of stopped taking you seriously. No offense. Marian Gaborik on a breakaway is never a weak goal - and Jaroslav Halak is arguably our best breakaway goalie. Gaborik didn't make a move until the end, so Jaro tried the pokecheck. Unfortunately it failed, but in the end we got 2-points.

The slot timer he had virtually no chance on. It's not like it was a one-timer set up in front of the net - his plays kept losing and he was watching the play develop behind him. The pass came out and I think before he moved even a few inches, the shot was in the back of the net.

Every goal has "a chance" to be saved, but there are goals that if saved, are extreme luck. The 2nd and 3rd goals were exactly that. The fourth goal was a breakaway and that's a defensive lapse - but it didn't hurt us in the end, so who cares.

Halak was solid - especially with a couple big saves in the last 10 minutes of the 3rd when it was tied. Either way, he got the 2-points and that's what important. I hope Price can come in and continue the winning streak.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 10:21 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated R Superstar View Post
You don't bench Marian Gaborik.
his groin will take care of that...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 10:23 AM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
his groin will take care of that...
That's exactly why you don't bench him. You use him for as much time as you can before his injury.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 11:09 AM
Joe Malone

I thought Halak might get an assist on the winning goal. Anyone have the game taped? How did Cammy get the puck before he rushed up ice. I thought it was a shoot-in from New York and it touched Halak. I could be wrong, I only saw it once live. The video clips I've seen don't show how Cammy received the puck.

Just curious.

Joe Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 11:26 AM
Chris Cutter
BELIEVE IN DOUGLAS

Halak saved it, Cammalleri took the rebound and you know the rest of story.

Chris Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 11:49 AM
Joe Malone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Cutter View Post
Halak saved it, Cammalleri took the rebound and you know the rest of story.
Then Halak should have gotten an assist. He didn't.

No big deal. We won.

Joe Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 11:55 AM
jcpenny

I loved the win and all but man our D is unstable... Obyrne should help a bit, decreasing Gill's and MAB playing time should help even more.

jcpenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 12:30 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
As soon as you said the 4th goal was weak, I kind of stopped taking you seriously. No offense. Marian Gaborik on a breakaway is never a weak goal - and Jaroslav Halak is arguably our best breakaway goalie. Gaborik didn't make a move until the end, so Jaro tried the pokecheck. Unfortunately it failed, but in the end we got 2-points.

The slot timer he had virtually no chance on. It's not like it was a one-timer set up in front of the net - his plays kept losing and he was watching the play develop behind him. The pass came out and I think before he moved even a few inches, the shot was in the back of the net.

Every goal has "a chance" to be saved, but there are goals that if saved, are extreme luck. The 2nd and 3rd goals were exactly that. The fourth goal was a breakaway and that's a defensive lapse - but it didn't hurt us in the end, so who cares.

Halak was solid - especially with a couple big saves in the last 10 minutes of the 3rd when it was tied. Either way, he got the 2-points and that's what important. I hope Price can come in and continue the winning streak.
Not that I think Gaborik's goal was weak, but let's say Gabby was coming in on a breakaway and loses control of the puck but it slides under Halak, would that be weak? It doesn't really matter anyways because if that was Price you would have said he has to come up with a big save to keep us in the game.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 12:32 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPrice View Post
Not saying his 27 goals would happen again but he is a top 6 forward. He started out on the top line for the NYR for a reason. Obviously he has since been demoted, but he has the scoring ability to put up points and Torts saw that.

If he isn't producing he would easily be able to be shifted down to the third line and be very effective like he was last year.
Carbo also saw that. I think Torts was more likely going by the stat sheet than anything there. If Torts really thought that Higgins wouldn't be getting demoted after 2 weeks.

Old
10-25-2009, 01:26 PM
bib
#believe

Does anybody know where I can watch this game online? If I lived in Canada I'd just stream it off their site, but it's only available to people in Canada.

bib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 01:32 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
Gaborik didn't work too hard on defence either. Think Tortorella will be benching him soon?
you must have missed the part that went "if you aren't producing offensively". I think everybody would agree that Gabby has been producing.

Old
10-25-2009, 01:47 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
Not that I think Gaborik's goal was weak, but let's say Gabby was coming in on a breakaway and loses control of the puck but it slides under Halak, would that be weak? It doesn't really matter anyways because if that was Price you would have said he has to come up with a big save to keep us in the game.
Go read the gameday thread. Unless you just like skipping over stuff so you can support your opinions without quoting everything I say. You're quite the smart cookie aren't you.

I'm not replying to you again. I'm stick of your attitude towards me telling me I'm not a Price fan and blah, blah, blah. If that's the best you can come up with, you're not worth my time.
Posted via Mobile Device

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 01:49 PM
HarlemsFinest
teh gallys!!1

is there any vCash pool bets going on a) how many before gab's first injury and b) how many games he'll play in total?

HarlemsFinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 03:22 PM
Turboflex*

just wanna say that pass by gionta on the 1st camalleri goal was insane

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 03:26 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
you must have missed the part that went "if you aren't producing offensively". I think everybody would agree that Gabby has been producing.
You are right, but it doesn't excuse that PATHETIC effort on the backcheck that lead to the GWG.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 03:35 PM
Cupmonger

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalery View Post
Does anybody know where I can watch this game online? If I lived in Canada I'd just stream it off their site, but it's only available to people in Canada.
Well, for future reference, I know that channelsurfing.net streams most of the games live (r few seconds delay). As for yesterdays game, I don't know where you can see it at this point.

Cupmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 03:42 PM
David_99

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalery View Post
Not the answer you're looking for but you can watch them live on this site:

http://atdhe.net/

David_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 03:43 PM
CuteHockeyBunny

Slight derail. Is there a website that shows replays of games past? I didn't get a chance to see this match and I would like to watch the full 60 minute replay.

Thanks.

CuteHockeyBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 03:58 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
You are right, but it doesn't excuse that PATHETIC effort on the backcheck that lead to the GWG.
he saw cammy blow right past him and made no effort to catch up on the 4th habs goal too. Gabby is an adventure on both ends of the ice for completely different reasons.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 04:10 PM
alexstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
he saw cammy blow right past him and made no effort to catch up on the 4th habs goal too. Gabby is an adventure on both ends of the ice for completely different reasons.
Yeah, I just watched the recap for the 7th time and I can't believe how he COULD HAVE STOPPED camm (at least try to) but never cared to make the effort.

People over there are glad they got Gabby instead of Gomez...

For the "show", I'd take Gaborik...

but for everything else, I'd take Gomez. Team play, backchecking, etc.

Drury + Gabo = 14.5M cap
Gomez + Camm = 13.5M cap

For one million less, we've got a MUCH MORE efficient combo IMO.
They were oh so happy to shed Gomer, but IMO they got rid of the wrong guy. Had I been in Sather's shorts, I'd have done anything to get rid of Drury or Redden, I'd have kept Gomer to center Gabo... Now we're talking.
Anyways, so glad Gainey could get such a good center for that punk Higgins. Yes we lost McDo... but that's the price to pay and... he's still a surprise box at this time.

alexstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 05:30 PM
SpezNc

Quote:

Halak's stats and winning record are better then Price so far but:

Price has already STOLEN 2 games (on 6)
Halak 0

Halak has received MORE offensive AND defensive support then Price.

I don't remember one bad goal according by Price while I think that Halak has allowed one or two softies

But in the end, BOTH goaltender are good

But if Halak is 3-1 and Price 2-6 is only because the players never showed up when Price was the goaltender.

Goal by habs while Price: 4+2+1+1+2+2 (if i'm not mistaken) : 12/6 : Average of 2

Goal by habs while Halak : 3+3+5+5 = 16 goal in 4 game : AVERAGE OF 4

That's explain the record.

The goalie were good not always the offense.

By scoring 10 goals the last two games, I don't expect MORE that 3 goal next game.

SpezNc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 05:32 PM
habsrule4eva3089

Ummm I didn't know where to put this...but I have a Habs jersey with no name and does anyone know where I get Price and 31 written on it...how much does it cost anyone knows???

habsrule4eva3089 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 08:15 PM
fufonzo

Send a message via ICQ to fufonzo Send a message via MSN to fufonzo
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuteHockeyBunny View Post
Slight derail. Is there a website that shows replays of games past? I didn't get a chance to see this match and I would like to watch the full 60 minute replay.

Thanks.
Canadiens.com shows good replays of the game (they include a lot more than say TSN).

Just check their multimedia section.

fufonzo is offline   Reply With Quote