HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings v. Black and Blue Jackets: Total Destruction post game THOUGHTS & TIDBITS

Old
10-26-2009, 01:00 AM
nikolai19

vCash: 500
Teddy Purcell is going to lose his job to Scott Parse.

nikolai19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 01:12 AM
Bandit
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikolai19 View Post
Teddy Purcell is going to lose his job to Scott Parse.
It's certainly looking that way if Parse keeps it up. In any case, it's a nice problem for the Kings to have.

Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 01:16 AM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
It's certainly looking that way if Parse keeps it up. In any case, it's a nice problem for the Kings to have.
Or Purcell will step up his game and become a terrific 2nd line or 3rd line RW.

By the way, as Bandit said, it's a good problem to have BUT what the hell do we do with Williams when he comes back?

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 01:22 AM
SFKingshomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
Or Purcell will step up his game and become a terrific 2nd line or 3rd line RW.

By the way, as Bandit said, it's a good problem to have BUT what the hell do we do with Williams when he comes back?
I think Williams will go back to the top line and Purcell will battle with Parse for a 3rd line spot alongside Stoll and Simmonds.

SFKingshomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 01:25 AM
Malice430

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
It is possible.

"I enjoyed watching U2 get destroyed and eaten by GWAR."
i stand corrected

Malice430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 01:27 AM
Malice430

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willard View Post
Blue Jackets want Scuderi suspended. I beg to differ, the intent was to deliver a hip check & not intent to injure.
if he does end up with a fine/suspension then Chimera should get one for punching Fro in the back of the head

Malice430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 01:36 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willard View Post
Blue Jackets want Scuderi suspended. I beg to differ, the intent was to deliver a hip check & not intent to injure.
I don't think for a second that Scuderi went out there and said, "You know what I'm going to do? I'm going to find Chimera and injure him any way possible, clean or not."

But there's obviously a bit of a disconnect between intent and outcome. I don't think for a second that, say, Marty McSorley intended to stick Donald Brashear into la-la land, but that's what happened. I don't think Bertuzzi intended to maim Steve Moore, but that's what happened. And I don't think thousands of women intend to end up pregnant, but....well, you get the idea.

I think he went for the hip check, misjudged on the timing and/or location, and panicked by getting a lot lower than he wanted to. It doesn't make him a dirty player, but it was too low of a hit for the league not to at least take a close look at.

(And before someone tees off on the Chimera/Frolov thing, I was in the other room for a chunk of the third period and didn't see it)

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 01:37 AM
JDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
It is possible.

"I enjoyed watching U2 get destroyed and eaten by GWAR."

GWAR rules. I kept a shirt from one of their shows for a long time, but its bloody stink burnt a hole in my closet and eventually just disintegrated.

Haven't gone through the GDT, but has nobody mentioned that Purcell didn't play a lick in the 3rd?

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 01:43 AM
JDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
I don't think for a second that Scuderi went out there and said, "You know what I'm going to do? I'm going to find Chimera and injure him any way possible, clean or not."

But there's obviously a bit of a disconnect between intent and outcome. I don't think for a second that, say, Marty McSorley intended to stick Donald Brashear into la-la land, but that's what happened. I don't think Bertuzzi intended to maim Steve Moore, but that's what happened. And I don't think thousands of women intend to end up pregnant, but....well, you get the idea.

I think he went for the hip check, misjudged on the timing and/or location, and panicked by getting a lot lower than he wanted to. It doesn't make him a dirty player, but it was too low of a hit for the league not to at least take a close look at.

(And before someone tees off on the Chimera/Frolov thing, I was in the other room for a chunk of the third period and didn't see it)
As soon as I saw the hit, I expected a suspension for Scuderi. I was pleasantly very surprised at the game that we didn't get any penalty. Kudos to the Kings however for backing off when Dorsett jumped out. Had they not, all hell would have broken loose and someone just may have ended up in the hospital.

Speaking of hospitals.

I am very bothered that Mike Richards didn't get suspended for his hit on Booth. I thought that hit was dirtier than the hit on Tucker that got a 3 game suspension. To suspend Scuderi for a low hip check on the same night they decide to let Richards walk away with putting Booth in the hospital with the kind of hit to the head the NHL has made such a fuss over "cracking down on", would be very upsetting to me. So based purely on that, I hope and expect no suspension.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 01:47 AM
FroFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
Haven't gone through the GDT, but has nobody mentioned that Purcell didn't play a lick in the 3rd?
I haven't gone through the GDT either, but I did notice that he didn't play in the third. I took a look at the tape, and his last shift was the play where Doughty got elbowed by Voracek. Purcell had a chance to clear the puck out of the Kings' zone on that play, and failed to do so. The point man intercepted his weak clearing attempt, threw it behind the net, and moments later Doughty got elbowed. I speculate that the coaches were sending him a message about his weak board play.

Too bad, because I thought he'd played a strong game up to that point. Aside from the 2 penalties, I thought Parse played a strong game, too. It'll be interesting to see if he can maintain this level of intensity.

FroFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 01:52 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
As soon as I saw the hit, I expected a suspension for Scuderi. I was pleasantly very surprised at the game that we didn't get any penalty. Kudos to the Kings however for backing off when Dorsett jumped out. Had they not, all hell would have broken loose and someone just may have ended up in the hospital.

Speaking of hospitals.

I am very bothered that Mike Richards didn't get suspended for his hit on Booth. I thought that hit was dirtier than the hit on Tucker that got a 3 game suspension. To suspend Scuderi for a low hip check on the same night they decide to let Richards walk away with putting Booth in the hospital with the kind of hit to the head the NHL has made such a fuss over "cracking down on", would be very upsetting to me. So based purely on that, I hope and expect no suspension.
The only thing I can think of is the league suspending Scuderi to make an example of the different kind of hits that are questionable. I can't think of the last time someone would punished for a low hit like Scuderi's. Most of the time it always involves aiming for the head or hitting in the numbers. Has a low hipcheck ever been penalized (outside of a game) before?

“We still have a lot of guys who haven't scored a goal since Jesus was a baby.” - Darryl Sutter
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 02:03 AM
aegwillnotwinthecup*

This team is silly good when they're clicking. I don't think even the most devout Kopitarians (me) saw a season like this from Anze. I really hope he keeps this up.

I remember saying in a poll thread like two years ago that Kopitar will score 40 goals at least once in his career and I was laughed at. Everyone always thought he was more of a playmaker than anything else. Who's laughing now?

That first Frolov goal was a thing of beauty. Keep it up, Fro. Prove Murray and everyone else wrong, and earn that extension.

aegwillnotwinthecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 02:06 AM
Bandit
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post

Yeah, I don't think there was any intent on Scuderi's part to injure, but similar to a high stick, you should be in control and responsible at all times. I wouldn't have a problem with him getting a game or two. The hit was low and he could have blown out Chimera's knee. I don't blame the Jackets for being pissed.

Regarding the Frolov/Chimera thing, I know you said you didn't see it so this isn't directed at you, but honestly I think Chimera deserves a game or two as well. You can't **** around with guys getting punched in the back of the head. They don't even allow that in boxing. I'm just thankful that when Frolov's helmet came off he didn't go head first into the boards because that would have been really terrible.

And for the record, Richards not getting a suspension was a joke. Again it was a situation where there probably wasn't any intent, but still, you need to be in control. So much for the NHL taking shots to the head seriously.

Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 02:09 AM
Carbonneau 21

seems since williams has better natural offensive abilities than simmonds, and the first line is clicking well as is, why not drop JW down to the 2nd or 3rd line to better spread the scoring? Then when the first line slumps, as it most likely will at some time during the season, bump JW back up on the line to give it a timely boost...

Carbonneau 21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 02:11 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
I was pretty upset over the punch on Frolov, I was watching the game with a friend and I turned to him just after the play and the first thing I said was that "Frolov wouldn't even get into a fight with you if you shot his wife" (exaggerating of course), but Chimera was way out of line for targeting anyone, but even more so for going after Frolov of all people...

Old
10-26-2009, 02:14 AM
Carbonneau 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
I was pretty upset over the punch on Frolov, I was watching the game with a friend and I turned to him just after the play and the first thing I said was that "Frolov wouldn't even get into a fight with you if you shot his wife" (exaggerating of course), but Chimera was way out of line for targeting anyone, but even more so for going after Frolov of all people...
you mean no one mess around when Ivanans was on the ice?

Carbonneau 21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 02:16 AM
ru4reals

I watched Scuderi's hit over and over and it wasn't a dirty hit at all. I don't know what the outcry is about. He better not get any fines or suspensions. That was a great hip check and it happens all the time in this game. It was clean and Chimera skated right into it. It just happens that he tumbled over and slammed his face on the ice. It was very similar to when Jack got hip checked in his very first or was it second game. Richards didn't get suspended so Scuds better not as well.

ru4reals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 02:16 AM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbonneau 21 View Post
you mean no one mess around when Ivanans was on the ice?
Ivanans was getting ready for his PP shift, he can't be held responsible for his actions or lack thereof before this time frame.

William H Bonney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 02:18 AM
ru4reals

Quote:
Originally Posted by aegwillnotwinthecup View Post
This team is silly good when they're clicking. I don't think even the most devout Kopitarians (me) saw a season like this from Anze. I really hope he keeps this up.

I remember saying in a poll thread like two years ago that Kopitar will score 40 goals at least once in his career and I was laughed at. Everyone always thought he was more of a playmaker than anything else. Who's laughing now?

That first Frolov goal was a thing of beauty. Keep it up, Fro. Prove Murray and everyone else wrong, and earn that extension.
Serious. Dean should have called out Froloaf as well. Unless he did already. But that's the Fro we all know.

Old
10-26-2009, 02:24 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4reals View Post
I watched Scuderi's hit over and over and it wasn't a dirty hit at all. I don't know what the outcry is about. He better not get any fines or suspensions. That was a great hip check and it happens all the time in this game. It was clean and Chimera skated right into it. It just happens that he tumbled over and slammed his face on the ice. It was very similar to when Jack got hip checked in his very first or was it second game. Richards didn't get suspended so Scuds better not as well.
Well, it would have been a great hipcheck 20 years ago, but in the new NHL few would side with you. What makes the play bad wasn't the fact that it sent Chimera flying or that he got hurt when he landed, but entirely on how low it was.

I mean Scuderi was playing limbo on that play. He was about as low as he could possibly be to the ice and continue skating. When you are that low it is like Chimera was running into a knee-high cement divider, everything went to his knees and leg joints. It is a very dangerous collision. If it had been a normal hipcheck (hip, groin, or even high thigh level) it would have been fine, but because Scuds went so low that it was down at the knees, it will get a look for sure.

I wonder, do we have anyone that can make a Youtube video of Chimera punching Frolov in the back of the head?

Quote:
Serious. Dean should have called out Froloaf as well. Unless he did already. But that's the Fro we all know.
He has been for a while, around the same time he was calling out Kopitar's conditioning till now. Whenever reporters ask him about Frolov he throws up his arms, sighs, and says that he thinks Frolov could score 40 goals, but he guesses he just has to accept the 30.

Last edited by Telos: 10-26-2009 at 02:45 AM.
Old
10-26-2009, 02:44 AM
ru4reals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
Well, it would have been a great hipcheck 20 years ago, but in the new NHL few would side with you. What makes the play bad wasn't the fact that it sent him flying or that Chimera got hurt when he landed, but entirely on how low it was.

I mean Scuderi was playing limbo on that play. He was about as low as he could possibly be to the ice and continue skating. When you are that low it is like Chimera was running into a knee-high cement divider, everything went to his knees and leg joints. It is a very dangerous collision. If it had been a normal hipcheck (hip, groin, or even high thigh level) it would have been fine, but because Scuds went so low that it was down at the knees, it will get a look for sure.

I wonder, do we have anyone that can make a Youtube video of Chimera punching Frolov in the back of the head?

He has been for a while, around the same time he was calling out Kopitar's conditioning till now. Whenever reporters ask him about Frolov he throws up his arms, sighs, and says that he thinks Frolov could score 40 goals, but he guesses he just has to accept the 30.
Yeah that's true, but I still don't think Scuds should get suspended especially when people know he's not a dirty player ala Bryan Marchment who's known for dirty hits.

Old
10-26-2009, 02:48 AM
ReverseSweep
Kingspiracy.

Quote:
I think they're pretty selective about who gets suspended and who doesn't. I think he'll get two games. Ovie didn't get one so it'll bounce over to Scuderi. He'll be used as an example.

ReverseSweep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 03:00 AM
MxH0CKEY

WOO HOO! GREAT WIN! Too bad I did not get to watch because I was in Chicago...

MxH0CKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 04:36 AM
FrozenRoyalty
HFB Partner

Frozen Royalty Audio: Kopitar, Frolov Lead Kings Past Blue Jackets, 6-2

Frozen Royalty Audio: Kopitar, Frolov Lead Kings Past Blue Jackets, 6-2

Talked to Kopitar, Scuderi, Terry Murray and Parse after the game...

FrozenRoyalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 04:46 AM
RightKinger

Can we get some ZUS love in this *****!

Simmonds and Handzus are both gods. These guys do EVERYTHING.

Brown played great and has been playing great for the past few games. Great to see him pick up his game and look like old Brownie.

I hope TM yells at Brown for not doing anything on that Chimera/Frolov play. That is when your captain has to drop the gloves and show other teams that we don't take **** from anyone but he just stood there watching. I know he probably knew the Kings would have a PP and he didn't want to risk it but the game was in the bag at that point so he should have done something IMO.

Scuderi should get a few games even though it wasn't intent to injure. The check was careless and he could have seriously hurt the guy.

Props to Stoll/Frolov for picking up their offensive games and adding some much needed secondary scoring. Hopefully Fro gets it going and Stoll is completely over the arthritis thing.

Kopitar is getting some lucky bounces but damn he is on fire. I don't think he'll keep up the goal scoring but so far so good. Anyone else notice that he hasn't taken too many(any?) slapshots this season?

Parse is playing great...throwing some nice checks, playing smart, making some good offensive plays, and playing with a lot of energy. He is 25 so this is probably his last chance to make it and he is looking like an NHL player so far.

Nice win overall. No letdown in game 2 of the back to back. San Jose will be hungry with the division lead at stake on Wednesday and they will want to avenge that loss at Staples from earlier this season.

GO KINGS!

Last edited by RightKinger: 10-26-2009 at 05:00 AM.
RightKinger is offline   Reply With Quote