HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Notices

Blues @ Coyotes (10/15/09)

Old
10-16-2009, 03:15 PM
PHX FireBirds18

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz View Post
Would you care to expand on your previous playing experience?
Don't pay any attention to him. That guy has been concussed in hockey more than Lindros. I feel bad for the guy. Saw him get boarded from behind one time. He came back to the bench, which was a miracle in itself, then proceeded to ask me what time Melrose Place starts. Then he threw up everywhere....

PHX FireBirds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2009, 03:15 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
I think Michalek's intelligence could turn out to be a nice addition to the second powerplay unit. He doesn't have that booming point shot, but decision making seems to be the bane of our powerplay, thus far. Who on the team is a better decision maker than Zbynek Michalek? Z would certainly hold the line, and pass effectively. Mueller playing forward on the powerplay isn't exactly a bad thing. It's not like he'd be losing powerplay minutes, he'd just be playing a different position.
I would be fine with Michalek. While he doesn't have the traditional "big" point shot, he has shown a very nice low slap shot of the type that tend to generate rebounds at the net.

mouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2009, 03:20 PM
PHX FireBirds18

Quote:
I think Michalek's intelligence could turn out to be a nice addition to the second powerplay unit. He doesn't have that booming point shot, but decision making seems to be the bane of our powerplay, thus far. Who on the team is a better decision maker than Zbynek Michalek? Z would certainly hold the line, and pass effectively. Mueller playing forward on the powerplay isn't exactly a bad thing. It's not like he'd be losing powerplay minutes, he'd just be playing a different position.
I've wanted Michalek back there for a long time. Due to all the defensive responsibilities the coaching staff always seem t give him, I didn't think that was a realistic option. It would be nice to have someone that can actually get back into the play and play D if there is a turnover. Having Aucoin and Jovo, and then they throw out Yandle and Mueller makes me cringe every time the puck jumps out of the zone. Mueller moving down low on the PP is an option as well. I wouldn't mind seeing those sweet hands of his closer to the net with a little more time and space.

Old
10-16-2009, 03:23 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouser View Post
I would be fine with Michalek. While he doesn't have the traditional "big" point shot, he has shown a very nice low slap shot of the type that tend to generate rebounds at the net.
Semi-OT, but isn't this sort of the scouting report on OEL, as well? Not a traditional PPQB, and is without a booming shot, but a smart player who is effective on the powerplay due to a variety of skills.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2009, 03:30 PM
PHX FireBirds18

Quote:
Semi-OT, but isn't this sort of the scouting report on OEL, as well? Not a traditional PPQB, and is without a booming shot, but a smart player who is effective on the powerplay due to a variety of skills.
I thought i read OEL has an incredible shot, he just needs to use it more.

Old
10-16-2009, 04:59 PM
GalenYote

I donít mind shots going wide if you are trying for a redirection or shot/pass. But when no one is with in 5 feet of the shooting lane it needs to be on net. I've noticed it most on Aucoin just because he has a rifle of a shot. But I'm tired of hearing it clang off glass every single time. Also I've noticed that we are not getting many screens setup. We are going to the net more then last year but we are not staying there, or we are going too late and the opportunity was missed. We need to go hard to the net, stop and screen and wait for that deflection. Clean up passes and clean up shooting and we will be sitting pretty.

GalenYote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2009, 05:01 PM
indczn

It's better than last year.

indczn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2009, 05:14 PM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

Quote:
Originally Posted by indczn View Post
It's better than last year.
its all better than last year. i will not complain. just soooo happy to have my team. Frankly with the economy being as it is, somedays just having this team here, and going to home games is what keeps me off the proverbial ledge.

TeamTippett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 01:42 PM
SuperDave21
Hockey Paradise

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX FireBirds18 View Post
Don't pay any attention to him. That guy has been concussed in hockey more than Lindros. I feel bad for the guy. Saw him get boarded from behind one time. He came back to the bench, which was a miracle in itself, then proceeded to ask me what time Melrose Place starts. Then he threw up everywhere....
Again, all valid and true points/stories...

If you all must know, I played 10 years of hockey from house leagues and travel teams and everything in between. I played in front of NHL scouts and minor league scouts in a Dallas scout camp and the like. I don't mean to brag or anything but I also worked in the Coyotes locker room as well as along side many of the front staff and beyond. Again, I've been around the game a bit more than most people think, but at the same time it really amounts to nothing.

Although my playing and work experiences were nothing special, and I'm personally nothing special, I have been around the game long enough to see certain things. Being on the ice is much different than watching from the stands. I remember coaches of years past instructing me on what to watch for and when to look for it. Just about every player has a pattern to their game and if you can find it, then you can stop it and throw them completely off.

PHX FireBirds18 knows me personally as we played together for many, many years. He can attest to my basic knowledge and principles of the game and all that nonsense. He can also attest, as he is/was a MUCH better player than I will ever be, that we played against some guys who are currently in the NHL or have been drafted, so we have both seen what NHL talent looks like and how it develops over the years. Personally, I believe that PHX FireBirds18 could have gone on to play at a much higher level than some of the kids drafted in our age group, but injuries and the like made sure that didn't happen. Sorry PHX FireBirds18, I didn't mean to take it to that personal level. Let me know if you want me to delete it.

SuperDave21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 02:09 PM
zz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDave21 View Post
Again, all valid and true points/stories...

If you all must know, I played 10 years of hockey from house leagues and travel teams and everything in between. I played in front of NHL scouts and minor league scouts in a Dallas scout camp and the like. I don't mean to brag or anything but I also worked in the Coyotes locker room as well as along side many of the front staff and beyond. Again, I've been around the game a bit more than most people think, but at the same time it really amounts to nothing. [...]
cool, thx for sharing.

zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 02:15 PM
SuperDave21
Hockey Paradise

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz View Post
cool, thx for sharing.
You're very welcome!

I usually like to keep that stuff hush-hush because it's not really something I like talking about. My experience, by no means, makes me an expert on the game but I am fortunate to have had those experiences and I don't mind sharing stuff like that.

If you really want an expert, talk to PHX FireBirds18. That dude knows the game on a much deeper level than I ever will.

SuperDave21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 03:12 PM
wpgyotes
Bye Bryz

I played on a line with Alex Steen for one season in my youth and spent five full seasons in junior hockey. I was also an eighth-round pick in 2002 that amounted to very little other than a paid university education. That still doesn't mean I'm in a position of authority to criticize the decision-making process of NHL-calibre players.

I think we as fans can be overly critical. The game is happening at HIGH speeds and looks a whole ton easier from a spectator perspective, whether that's in the stands or from the couch.

wpgyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 04:59 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgyotes View Post
I was also an eighth-round pick in 2002 that amounted to very little other than a paid university education.
Free college and the pleasure of being able to say you were drafted are two of the coolest things you could hope for.

Old
10-17-2009, 05:06 PM
PHX FireBirds18

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDave21 View Post
If you really want an expert, talk to PHX FireBirds18. That dude knows the game on a much deeper level than I ever will.
Me being a hockey nerd doesn't mean I know everything there is about the game. I was just reading some Tippet quotes because I'm bored waiting for 4 o'clock for some damn hockey to come on. Embarrassing I know. I know I've had some good coaches and some bad ones and have picked up a wealth of knowledge about the game from them. You're correct, watching the game live, through video footage, and on ice all offer different viewpoints to your game. Video review happens to be my favorite.

I remember after that hit you took that gave you your second concussion, our team took a penalty shortly there after and our coach was like get out there you two. I was like ummmmm... coach do you see what I'm looking at???? You went out there and played left wing, even though you were supposed to be my right D partner. I think once he saw that he got the point that maybe you should sit out for the rest of the game. I can understand why you stopped, getting multiple concussions at the age of 14 isn't the best way to live. I didn't fare much better. A couple of years later my crappy shoulder gave out. I remember when we were better than Esner, Strathman, Spina, and Collins. Oh well at least we were has beens...

Old
10-17-2009, 05:17 PM
zz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I was also an eighth-round pick in 2002 that amounted to very little other than a paid university education.
That's pretty awesome.

It's nice to have a some background info on you guys' hockey experiences. It gives your posts come helpful context.

I've played just enough hockey as a kid to know what being boarded feels like, how awful a locker room smells like, how frustrating it is to not be able to lift a slap shot (god that took mne a while), how short 5'8'' is when playing junior hockey, how dedicated hockey parents need to be, and how ungrateful their kids can be.

True story: my first hockey game, age 9, I had skated maybe 5 times before. Our hockey organization was very new, and hockey was not exactly a popular sport in my home country. Nobody on my team could take 10 strides on the ice in full hockey gear without falling. We went on a 3 hour bus ride to the closest town with a youth hockey team. Those guys could actually play. We lost 48-0. It was a 3x10 minute game. The refs got so sick of waiting for us for each face off after a goal they would literally pick us up & drop us where were supposed to be.

That was 25 years ago, and my ass still hurts from being kicked so hard.

zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 05:29 PM
Gwyddbwyll

Quote:
I played on a line with Alex Steen for one season in my youth and spent five full seasons in junior hockey. I was also an eighth-round pick in 2002 that amounted to very little other than a paid university education. That still doesn't mean I'm in a position of authority to criticize the decision-making process of NHL-calibre players.
I think I have an idea now Are you considering Europe? Some British and Italian clubs offer further free university education if you're interested in that. I know some players come over to get qualified in Business studies and that.

BTW very cool to read about yours and the others' playing experiences on this board.

Gwyddbwyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 08:01 PM
wpgyotes
Bye Bryz

http://hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=55367

Jets fan initially, but I've been down to Phoenix for several games and would like to see the team stick there.

Old
10-22-2009, 08:18 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:

Jets fan initially, but I've been down to Phoenix for several games and would like to see the team stick there.
Are you the head coach of the Chase Chiefs?

Old
10-23-2009, 11:24 PM
wpgyotes
Bye Bryz

Quote:
Are you the head coach of the Chase Chiefs?
Yep. Still learning on the job, don't know if I'm cut out for this. Off the record, but KIJHL level players can frustrate the heck out of you.

Old
10-24-2009, 04:33 AM
Gwyddbwyll

Quote:
I was thinking this one
http://hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=50173

because of playing in the CIS but I think you must be right as Winnipeg is where Alex Steen grew up.

Old
10-25-2009, 09:10 PM
wpgyotes
Bye Bryz

Craig Carlyle and Brady Murray were also on that team. Needless to say we won the city championship.

I am still finishing up a finance degree from Thompson Rivers in Kamloops. I haven't considered Europe and doubt I ever will. Been out of competitive hockey for awhile and I'm a little banged up. I avoided injury for most of my time in the WHL but have a lingering knee injury from a men's hockey game...lol. I'd prefer to stay anonymous online, but a little background can't hurt.

Old
10-25-2009, 09:47 PM
lanky

Quote:

I recognize your name from when I played a couple years of Tuxedo Lightning soccer as a little kid. Carlyle, Murray and Steen were also on that team. Small world.

lanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 02:46 AM
Gwyddbwyll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwyddbwyll View Post
because of playing in the CIS but I think you must be right as Winnipeg is where Alex Steen grew up.
Doh! For some reason I didnt realise the post with a hockeydb link was you wpgyotes, I thought it was another poster. Let me know if you want the links removed anyway. Cheers

Old
10-26-2009, 07:27 AM
wpgyotes
Bye Bryz

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanky View Post
I recognize your name from when I played a couple years of Tuxedo Lightning soccer as a little kid. Carlyle, Murray and Steen were also on that team. Small world.
Yeah, we were the Tuxedo Lightning haha. I think a signed jersey or banner of that hockey team is hanging up at the little outdoor rink/community centre there.

Old
10-26-2009, 07:28 AM
wpgyotes
Bye Bryz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwyddbwyll View Post
Doh! For some reason I didnt realise the post with a hockeydb link was you wpgyotes, I thought it was another poster. Let me know if you want the links removed anyway. Cheers
It's fine. I should be letting this thread die but I keep bumping it up. Sticking to Coyotes talk from now on.