HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#9: Sharks at Flyers - October 25, 2009 - 7:00 PM (ET)

Old
10-26-2009, 11:57 AM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBoone View Post
How did Gagne look to you all?
Slow and disinterested.

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 12:02 PM
Orange and Black

vCash: 500
Quote:
I was at the game last night, and the best way I could describe his play was soft and uninvolved.

Orange and Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 12:12 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Someone said earlier this season that he had 'Riley Cote hands.' I'm glad that myth was quashed.
I wonder who said that....

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 12:28 PM
Jules801
Just Some Broad

The highlight of the night last night was the self-absorbed Water Ice guy that felt the need to roll up his sleeves to show off his "guns". Hysterical.

That was it.

Jules801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 12:51 PM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:
terrible

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPhish5858 View Post
Slow and disinterested.
or this. more accurately

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules801 View Post
The highlight of the night last night was the self-absorbed Water Ice guy that felt the need to roll up his sleeves to show off his "guns". Hysterical.

That was it.
is this the one with the egregiously popped collar?

UseYourAllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 01:11 PM
Murphy7
Drop the puck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules801 View Post

That was it.
Holy ****! My wife was saying the same thing. She also enjoyed the "festivities" with the small group of Sharks fans in 216.
Welcome back, Jules. Happy all is well at home.

Murphy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 01:21 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Oh, he absolutely should have played against Florida...and when Boucher asked for SJ, Stevens should have said no. If you think SJ is a legit Cup Contender (I do), then it makes a lot of sense to see how you match up with them using Emery...then again, they gave us their backup too.
I think their back up is playing as well as, or better than, Nabokov at this point. He seemed sharp but not comfortable, if that makes sense. I think if at some point he takes the starting job from Nabokov he could have a break out year behind that team.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 01:25 PM
Jules801
Just Some Broad

Quote:
Originally Posted by UseYourAllusion View Post
Haha, ya know...I didn't notice.. I was laughing too hard at the arms...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy7 View Post
Holy ****! My wife was saying the same thing. She also enjoyed the "festivities" with the small group of Sharks fans in 216.
Welcome back, Jules. Happy all is well at home.
I'm glad I'm not the only one that thought it was funny! And, this is my 2nd game back! Thank goodness for Grandma's!!

Jules801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 01:34 PM
IrishSniper87

Can we trade Boucher + for Schneider, please?

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 01:42 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
Can we trade Boucher + for Schneider, please?
I'm sure the Canucks are willing to take on Brian Boucher for a highly-regarded prospect when they already have a mediocre backup goalie of their own.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 01:44 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
I'm sure the Canucks are willing to take on Brian Boucher for a highly-regarded prospect when they already have a mediocre backup goalie of their own.
Hey man, I can dream.

Cory Schneider for Simon Gagne?

Let the crazyness and name calling begin!

Is Manny Fernandez still chilling on his couch?

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 01:55 PM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
Quote:
Originally Posted by UseYourAllusion View Post

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 01:56 PM
Rickety Cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am The Mush View Post
I think their back up is playing as well as, or better than, Nabokov at this point. He seemed sharp but not comfortable, if that makes sense. I think if at some point he takes the starting job from Nabokov he could have a break out year behind that team.
This was his first start this season, it's too early and too small of a sample size to say he's better than Nabby

Rickety Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 02:17 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickety Cricket View Post
This was his first start this season, it's too early and too small of a sample size to say he's better than Nabby
Yeah but not his first game. I distinctly recall seeing him in another San Jose game this year and noticing him (at the time I didn't realize it was him and I was thinking how different Nabokov looked, then I heard the commentator say his name). I guess when I saw him it was in relief. If you look at my post, I also was careful not to say he was better, just playing better right now.

Old
10-26-2009, 02:29 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Boucher had a better save percentage then Nabokov last year.
doesnt mean hes a better goalie.
Griess is not better then Nabokov, if he was he wouldnt of spent the last couple of seasons in Worcester.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 02:56 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStevensDotCom View Post
Griess is not better then Nabokov, if he was he wouldn't have spent the last couple of seasons in Worcester.
A.) It's just that simple, huh? Young athletes do not improve, and aging athletes do not decline. Gotcha.

B.) I didn't say he was better. There is a difference between being better than someone, and playing "as well as, or better than" someone. We have all seen Nabokov's A game, and it is very good. I don't think he's got it at the moment.

C.) I made no predictions.
Quote:
I simply said IF Griess were able to take the starter's job (either from out playing Nabokov, or perhaps if Nabokov gets injured), that he would be capable of having a break out year behind a very good Sharks team. I was implying that if he were able to get comfortable and into a good rhythm (via more starts) that he could play even better (though obviously his % from last night looks very good).

Also, one game is too small a sample size to make a firm evaluation of a player, if all you have to go off of is results. If you actually watch the player and evaluate their game however, it isn't that hard to get a decent sense of how good someone is or can be. Also like I said, this isn't the first time I have seen him play.

Old
10-26-2009, 03:15 PM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
Someone said earlier this season that he had 'Riley Cote hands.' I'm glad that myth was quashed.
The criticism Powe was receiving this offseason was ridiculous. He has played very well yet again for us this season. 3 goals in 9 games with not a ton of ice time and not the best linemates. He won't keep up that pace for a full season, but I said before the season began that i believed he could score up to 15 goals and ~35ish points. Sometimes i just don't understand what people are watching out there... "Riley Cote" hands

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 05:19 PM
Rickety Cricket

Quote:
Yeah but not his first game. I distinctly recall seeing him in another San Jose game this year and noticing him (at the time I didn't realize it was him and I was thinking how different Nabokov looked, then I heard the commentator say his name). I guess when I saw him it was in relief. If you look at my post, I also was careful not to say he was better, just playing better right now.
He played half a game before last night, made a couple of nice saves and then let in one of the worst goals I've seen in a while.

The sample size is too small to say that he is playing better than Nabokov.

Old
10-26-2009, 11:52 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickety Cricket View Post
The sample size is too small to say that he is playing better than Nabokov.

The sample size is too small to say he is better, the sample size is not too small to say he is playing better (you could obviously argue that the sample size is too small for it to mean much). I guess if you can't make the distinction between playing better than someone and being better than someone, I don't know what to tell you.

Old
10-27-2009, 12:52 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
A.) It's just that simple, huh? Young athletes do not improve, and aging athletes do not decline. Gotcha.

B.) I didn't say he was better. There is a difference between being better than someone, and playing "as well as, or better than" someone. We have all seen Nabokov's A game, and it is very good. I don't think he's got it at the moment.

C.) I made no predictions.

I simply said IF Griess were able to take the starter's job (either from out playing Nabokov, or perhaps if Nabokov gets injured), that he would be capable of having a break out year behind a very good Sharks team. I was implying that if he were able to get comfortable and into a good rhythm (via more starts) that he could play even better (though obviously his % from last night looks very good).

If the Sharks felt they could get out of Greiss over the longhaul why wouldnt they put Griess in there?
I am talking about right now. Today. Today Greiss isnt good enough to be the starter over the long stretch. Maybe in a year or 2 but not right now. He never got more then 50 starts in his pro career until last season in Worcester where he had slightly over a .900 save % in Worcester. Maybe thats why right now he is in the AHL to build up that endurance and "rythym." IMO he is a year or 2 away from being thought of as a starter or the heir apearant to Nabokov.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2009, 02:14 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Quote:
If the Sharks felt they could get out of Greiss over the longhaul why wouldnt they put Griess in there?
I don't know what the Sharks feel, but its Nabokov's job and as Cricket said, Greiss has played a game and a half. My comment was more on his skill set as I saw it and what I thought he could do in a hypothetical situation. I never really said my hypothetical was extremely likely.

Quote:
I am talking about right now. Today. Today Greiss isn't good enough to be the starter over the long stretch. Maybe in a year or 2 but not right now. IMO he is a year or 2 away from being thought of as a starter or the heir apparent to Nabokov.
You might be right. We'll never know till he gets a shot, which like you said, might not happen for a couple years. And you might be correct about his readiness to play every day, its just tough to judge with goalies. All you can do is look at a guy and see if he possesses the physical ability and skills to succeed, but even so having the tools doesn't guarantee anything. I obviously think he has a good amount of ability, and you guys think I'm jumping the gun in saying he could have a good year if for whatever reason he got a lot of starts. I don't think there's anywhere left for this to go but an agreement to disagree .

Old
10-27-2009, 02:20 PM
Rickety Cricket

Quote:
The sample size is too small to say he is better, the sample size is not too small to say he is playing better (you could obviously argue that the sample size is too small for it to mean much). I guess if you can't make the distinction between playing better than someone and being better than someone, I don't know what to tell you.
I understand the difference, the main meat of my argument is that it is too small of a sample size to really mean anything

Old
10-27-2009, 02:55 PM
Wolfy*
The Hobbit Rules!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Obviously, but they're going to catch the retaliation 100% of the time. Stupid play by Tolly, decides to go in for a crosscheck instead of sucking it up and getting on with it.
wtf...he was hit from behind and the refs ignored it. Of course he got pissed, I'd do the same thing. And he will retaliate and take penalites again in situations like that.

But they managed to teach Carcillo how to control his temper, maybe they can do the same thing with Tolly.

Wolfy* is offline   Reply With Quote