HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The AHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The AHL Discuss the American Hockey League; its players, teams, and games.

Your thoughts on these Pens prospects:

Closed Thread

Old
12-01-2004, 02:52 PM
ThememanXX
It's a hockey night!

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ThememanXX
Your thoughts on these Pens prospects:

What is everyone thinking about the following Pittsburgh Penguins prospects:

Ryan Whitney
Marc-Andre Fleury
Andy Chiodo
Kris Beech
Shane Endicott
Colby Armstrong
Michel Ouellet
Maxime Talbot

I'll post my thoughts on each later tonight, after what i've seen from each of them so far this season. Also, Chiodo was just demoted to Wheeling to get some playing time in, since our coach just named Marc-Andre Fleury our #1 goaltender.

Old
12-02-2004, 01:28 AM
Jacob

Quote:
I'll post my thoughts on each later tonight
Well?

Old
12-02-2004, 01:29 AM
Rowsdower

Send a message via AIM to Rowsdower
I'll give it a go...

Ryan Whitney - I'm undecided. I'm certainly not sold on him yet, but I feel he has all the tools to become an top pairing dman. That said, he has been pretty average this season.

Marc-Andre Fleury - Has settled into the AHL, and with Chiodo's demotion has been given the reigns...and has played excellent (shootouts withstanding). Though still a step behind Lethonen, he could start to close the gap. Will be a top goalie in the league IMO.

Andy Chiodo - Though awesome in the playoffs last season, he has not fared well thus far this season...should develop into a solid backup.

Kris Beech - I've basically given up on the guy, but he could still pull a 'Milan Kraft' and prove he is useful....I won't hold my breath though.

Shane Endicott - Having a breakout year in the A...helped the Pens dig themselves out of mediocrity early in the year. Could develop into a great bottom 6 character foward.

Colby Armstrong - Pretty much the same as Endo. Could be making a jump to the NHL very soon as a fixture on the checking line.

Michel Ouellet - A hit or miss guy IMO. Upside - Solid 2nd line scoring winger. Downside - career AHLer. Is having another solid season in the AHL.

Maxime Talbot - Great PK'er, scores some timely goals. Our future checking center still needs some seasoning.

Last edited by Rowsdower: 12-02-2004 at 01:51 AM.
Old
12-02-2004, 01:00 PM
ThememanXX
It's a hockey night!

Ryan Whitney- He's making alot of rookie mistakes and looks VERY uncomfortable while carrying the puck out of his own zone. Even on the offensive side, when he has the puck, 9 times out of 10 he'll pass it, even if he has a wide open shot. He needs to toughen up and start throwing some hits and not just absorbing them. He can put up a ton of points if he tries.

Marc-Andre Fleury- He was off to a shaky start, but has been STELLAR in the last few weeks. I don't think he's lost a game in regulation, and his GAA is under 1.9. He's playing alot bigger in net also, and isn't intimidated with alot of traffic in front. My only complaint is that he should stay in his crease during the shootouts and not come too far out....there is a reason we're 1-4 in shootouts this year, and it isn't due to lack of goals on our part.

Andy Chiodo- Was reassigned to Wheeling of the ECHL earlier this week after a miserable start to the season. I feel that it's just a sophomore slump, and he'll get some playing time down in the 'E' and will come back sharper.

Kris Beech- I've never liked him since he arrived in Wilkes-Barre. He's a great guy, with tremendous talent, he just doesn't utilize it at all. If the other team breaks out and gets a scoring chance, he immediately gives up and doesn't play defense. He only gives it his all when it comes to arguing with the referees and taking minor penalties. He's SECOND on the team in PIM, and has taken the most minors in the AHL. With only one goal on the year, he isn't producing well enough to make any excuses.

Shane Endicott- Absolutely on fire this year. He seems to be in the right place at the right time on almost every shift. He's offensive minded, but isn't afraid to get his nose dirty. With 11 goals and 8 assists, he's off to a great start. Barring any injuries, he should be our greatest offensive asset.

Colby Armstrong- Makes some extremely stupid mistakes every now and then, but makes up for it with some brilliant plays. He scored a unassisted, shorthanded goal earlier this year against Hamilton with some brilliant defensive stickwork, and in that same game set up an Endicott goal with a great pass from behind the net. He's also coming into his own, and is not afraid to drop the gloves either. He deserves an NHL shot.

Michel Ouellet- The teams leading scorer right now, and he seems very comfortable with that role. His speed and skills are underestimated by other teams, and he continues to shock them and impress everyone else. He can also throw a mean check when he needs to.

Maxime Talbot- Excellent prospect, just needs some work on winning faceoffs. He's gritty and will hit everything in a different color jersey. He's not afraid to stand up for himself or his teammates, and although he only has 4 points so far, I think his scoring touch will come with experience.

Each week, i'll review a few Penguins players. Until next time, feel free to discuss what i've posted.

Old
12-02-2004, 01:06 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThememanXX
Ryan Whitney- He's making alot of rookie mistakes and looks VERY uncomfortable while carrying the puck out of his own zone. Even on the offensive side, when he has the puck, 9 times out of 10 he'll pass it, even if he has a wide open shot. He needs to toughen up and start throwing some hits and not just absorbing them. He can put up a ton of points if he tries.

Marc-Andre Fleury- He was off to a shaky start, but has been STELLAR in the last few weeks. I don't think he's lost a game in regulation, and his GAA is under 1.9. He's playing alot bigger in net also, and isn't intimidated with alot of traffic in front. My only complaint is that he should stay in his crease during the shootouts and not come too far out....there is a reason we're 1-4 in shootouts this year, and it isn't due to lack of goals on our part.

Andy Chiodo- Was reassigned to Wheeling of the ECHL earlier this week after a miserable start to the season. I feel that it's just a sophomore slump, and he'll get some playing time down in the 'E' and will come back sharper.

Kris Beech- I've never liked him since he arrived in Wilkes-Barre. He's a great guy, with tremendous talent, he just doesn't utilize it at all. If the other team breaks out and gets a scoring chance, he immediately gives up and doesn't play defense. He only gives it his all when it comes to arguing with the referees and taking minor penalties. He's SECOND on the team in PIM, and has taken the most minors in the AHL. With only one goal on the year, he isn't producing well enough to make any excuses.

Shane Endicott- Absolutely on fire this year. He seems to be in the right place at the right time on almost every shift. He's offensive minded, but isn't afraid to get his nose dirty. With 11 goals and 8 assists, he's off to a great start. Barring any injuries, he should be our greatest offensive asset.

Colby Armstrong- Makes some extremely stupid mistakes every now and then, but makes up for it with some brilliant plays. He scored a unassisted, shorthanded goal earlier this year against Hamilton with some brilliant defensive stickwork, and in that same game set up an Endicott goal with a great pass from behind the net. He's also coming into his own, and is not afraid to drop the gloves either. He deserves an NHL shot.

Michel Ouellet- The teams leading scorer right now, and he seems very comfortable with that role. His speed and skills are underestimated by other teams, and he continues to shock them and impress everyone else. He can also throw a mean check when he needs to.

Maxime Talbot- Excellent prospect, just needs some work on winning faceoffs. He's gritty and will hit everything in a different color jersey. He's not afraid to stand up for himself or his teammates, and although he only has 4 points so far, I think his scoring touch will come with experience.

Each week, i'll review a few Penguins players. Until next time, feel free to discuss what i've posted.
Kinda condricted yourself on Beech. Beech sucks. The two that interest me are Fleury and Whitney. Personally i think Fleury is overated (still good) and Whitney is underated. Whitney kinda reminds me of Krajicek. Lots of offensive ability but not physical and not great at defending. Chiodo is a solid guy and it probably is the sophomore slumps.

Old
12-02-2004, 04:55 PM
Jacob

Aside from Fleury's excellent play since the end of October or so, I get the impression from listening that he's improved his puckhandling.

Old
12-02-2004, 05:16 PM
ThememanXX
It's a hockey night!

He's been getting better. He's more confident in clearing the puck by himself during the penalty kill.....it takes alot of pressure off of the defense.

Old
12-02-2004, 05:36 PM
Jacob

I always projected Fleury as being an above average puck handling goaltender. He has what guys like Giguere and Luongo don't have, and that's the skating ability to get out to those loose pucks. The only problem is that once he got there he made questionable decisions with that puck.

Old
12-02-2004, 05:56 PM
Luigi Lemieux

talbot will probably need 2-3 seasons in WBS before he's ready for the NHL. im assuming the pens will develop him the way they've been developing armstrong and endicott.

fleury, what can i say, stud goaltender.

endicott should be ready for the nhl soon. i'm guessing he'd be a 3rd line type guy?

whitney has great offensive ability, though defensive positioning and decision making could use work.

anyone know when eaves will be entering the lineup?

Old
12-02-2004, 05:59 PM
Jacob

We have a crapload of future 3rd line centers. Stone, Talbot, Endicott, etc.

Old
12-02-2004, 06:03 PM
Seabass
Onward and Upward

Send a message via AIM to Seabass
Ryan Whitney - Not all that physical, but oh well. He's got a good, low wrister from the point that he should use more often. Needs to work on breakout passes through the neutral zone and work along the boards in the defensive zone.

Marc-Andre Fleury - IMO The most talented goalie in the league. There are better, sure, but he's got an amazing set of reflexes. This season should do a world of good. Needs to work on puckhandling and patience.

Andy Chiodo - Fueled by the crowd. When the fans are into the game, he excels. Examples: First game of the season last year (Brochu plays terrible, Chiodo comes in and makes some brilliant saves even though they get destroyed; at first he was cheered for making a simple pad save), last year's playoffs, etc. But he is a smart guy, usually plays it safe (one exception being fights). Needs some work five-hole.

Kris Beech - I really wish Therrien would grow some balls and put him on the fourth line, to hopefully get him fired up a bit. Hopefully Eaves can bump him down. NEEDS TO WORK ON AGGRESSION.

Shane Endicott - The puck's finally going in for him. As clueless as he may look, Endicott always seems to be in the right place. He's made tons of progress on his skating, but more work needs to be done.

Colby Armstrong - He put on some weight this offseason, and honestly, I think it's helped him more mentally than anything. He's got that confidence to be the first one in the corner. That weight has put some more mustard on his shot, which he's getting off quick and more often. Needs to work on his angles and should try to crash the net more.

Michel Ouellet - Has a great shot. I've thought a couple of times that he might be better on left wing, but WBS' depth there and lack of it on the right side doesn't maked that very likely. Pretty average in every department except his offensive skillset (moves/shot wise: great) and quickness (subpar). Many people point at his skating as a weakness, I think it's fine, he just doesn't have that first burst (ha, rhyme).

Maxime Talbot - A high scorer in juniors, but his points have been coming from garbage goals. Aggressive as hell, gets under the other team's skin, a solid face-off man, great PKer. I might've brought this up before, but if he gets the chance to dump it from the neutral zone on the PK, he skates into the zone and stops along the boards, letting the defensemen try to take him off the puck. I love it. Never shoots the puck, hopefully he'll get over that.

Old
12-02-2004, 07:00 PM
PanthersRule96

Quote:
Originally Posted by J17ster
Kinda condricted yourself on Beech. Beech sucks. The two that interest me are Fleury and Whitney. Personally i think Fleury is overated (still good) and Whitney is underated. Whitney kinda reminds me of Krajicek. Lots of offensive ability but not physical and not great at defending. Chiodo is a solid guy and it probably is the sophomore slumps.
IMO, Krajicek and Whitney are two completley different players. Whitney is better defensively by far and Krajicek is better offensively by far. Whitney is bigger too than Krajicek. Two completley different players IMHO.

Old
12-03-2004, 01:03 AM
ThememanXX
It's a hockey night!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Metamorphosis
anyone know when eaves will be entering the lineup?
Eaves is no longer wearing the red during practice, and will be ready to go sometime within the next 2 weeks.

Closed Thread