HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Really struggling with energy level.

Old
10-24-2009, 10:32 PM
tobyandmisty

vCash: 500
Really struggling with energy level.

I am very unhappy with my energy level when I play once a week in pick up games. Currently it is all I can play due to my schedule. I am 40 years old, 5"11 185, could lose a few but not obese. When I go out once a week I am finding that I am in really bad shape or I am missing something. It was not as bad in the summer when I had spent more time outdoors, now as I am indoors more I am not moving around as much.

Saying that, pick up games can be tough sometimes when there are not enough people who show up and you cannot get off of the ice when you need to to. I am the type of player who plays defense pretty much, but I skate very hard not like a lot of the others who just cherry pick to score or not give it there all to defend.

I am not wondering if maybe my skating habits are bad or the skate that I have is not the right one. I skate on the Bauer 105 which I really like. Is it possible they are too heavy? Maybe my stride is bad. Sometimes I over do it real bad and I am concerned.

I want to have fun, play with my all but need to try and not get so winded.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

tobyandmisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2009, 10:47 PM
Placebo Effect

How long have you been playing? I'm in much worse shape than you but I am also younger. I just started playing this summer and it took me awhile before I could really give a good amount of effort per shift for an entire game (would take a few shifts off per game to for the first few games but now I play every one).

Placebo Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2009, 10:57 PM
K-PAX*

Try running or doing cardiovascular work at your local gym. I'm one of those guys who cherry picks but I work out enough so that if I really need to I can skate all-out for a shift or two. Cherry picking is easier and more rewarding usually however.

K-PAX* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2009, 11:26 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobyandmisty View Post
I am very unhappy with my energy level when I play once a week in pick up games. Currently it is all I can play due to my schedule. I am 40 years old, 5"11 185, could lose a few but not obese. When I go out once a week I am finding that I am in really bad shape or I am missing something. It was not as bad in the summer when I had spent more time outdoors, now as I am indoors more I am not moving around as much.

Saying that, pick up games can be tough sometimes when there are not enough people who show up and you cannot get off of the ice when you need to to. I am the type of player who plays defense pretty much, but I skate very hard not like a lot of the others who just cherry pick to score or not give it there all to defend.

I am not wondering if maybe my skating habits are bad or the skate that I have is not the right one. I skate on the Bauer 105 which I really like. Is it possible they are too heavy? Maybe my stride is bad. Sometimes I over do it real bad and I am concerned.

I want to have fun, play with my all but need to try and not get so winded.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Firstly welcome to middle age ... I'm 41.

If I play only one game a week it just isn't enough to stay up to snuff with stamina.

I also have an added problem of being Anemic which is that my body doesn't make enough red blood cells unless I take vitamin supplements needed for blood production and nerve health.

Some days i have it going good for hockey and some days not so much.

Tonight was great night for me playing.

I play twice a week at the minimum in the summer and I play 3 to 5 times a week during the winter months where outdoor ice really helps with free ice time.

If I were forced to play only once a week in order for me to stay in shape for hockey after 40 years old i absolutely would join a gym for the exercise bikes they have. I cannot treadmill run because of a bad leg injury when i was 11 which almost resulted in amputation due to a very serious bacterial infection.

I can do most things normally but running while okay is not something i can do without feeling it later on as some cartilage is missing and the knee notices it now after 40 years old.

So for you seriously i would either get an exercise bike, ride a real bike or do some running as others have mentioned here.

You need your cardio vascular to have an upgrade and that is your only problem. it isn't skate weight I can assure you of that, no skate should impair you that much no matter what it is.

I wear a pair of 2003 Bauer Vapors which were the step up from mid priced intermediates but not the top end line and they are heavier than all skates made today of equal quality level.

I have No issues with stamina but i do take quick shifts because 41 years old is 41 years old fella. You need to make sure that you're not just simply getting old.

I should add that I lost 40lbs (35 to 40 , pretty sure it was 40) last winter because my blood pressure was starting to get borderline high. My hockey stamina wasn't there and I was only playing once a week.

Sound familiar with your story? I think so .... go on a diet and increase your exercise. Don't diet without exercise as that never works.

Mainly I just cut out junk food and high calorie foods such as pasta meals like a heaping plate of spaghetti and meatballs and things like soda pop and pizza.

I buy a cheat pizza once a month though.

Good luck .... lose a few pounds and you will notice a very immediate change in your stamina especially if you are exercising more than you are now as well.

it works trust me on it fellow hockey player. Also drink lots of water and try to replacing milk with your dinner with some water instead.

Water speeds up your metabolism and you will find that most pro players drink tons of water all day long for this reason. YOU WILL SEE RESULTS.

Now to maintain my weight I eat 2 good meals a day and snack on things like apples and bananas in between those two meals. No more chocolates, ice cream, chips etc.

Last edited by Hockeyfan68: 10-24-2009 at 11:38 PM.
Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 12:32 AM
nullterm

vCash: 800
Work the cardio. Something to get the heart rate elevated for a consistent period of time.

On top of that, do some short interval, high intensity training once your basic cardio level is improved.

Work on your stride too. Hit a public skate and just focus on balance and technique. Make sure you are bending your knees and making long powerful strides instead of lots of short chippy ones.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 01:38 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'm hoping the weight loss helps my stamina...gained 25 pounds on meds this summer, lost 10 and counting since stopping them a few weeks ago, but I was dying in league tonight.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 03:38 AM
NigelSPNKr
#SavetheGoons

vCash: 164
Banana and walnuts/pistachios/peanuts before the game.

NigelSPNKr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 10:37 AM
tobyandmisty

Thanks guys. Unfortunately I really know I need to excercise more. My current schedule has had me going in very early, but hopefully I can get in later and get back on the treadmill for a half an hour in the morning.

tobyandmisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2009, 03:30 PM
RaoulDuke2k

Aside from cardio, if you have access to a gym try to work your legs out if you can. Stronger legs will help with fatigue.

If I do some squats and lunges - not necessarily a lot of weight - and do some plyometric exercises, I have much more jump at the end of the game.

RaoulDuke2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 11:47 AM
pfloyd75

As others have stated, the obvious answer is to do some kind of cardio to get your stamina up. Additionally, make sure you drink LOTS of water. Especially the day of the game AND the day before. I'm 34 and in mediocre shape, but I find that if I don't properly hydrate, I am pretty tired by the end of the first period. When I drink water like I should, I don't get tired until well into the 3rd... if at all.

Hydration is the easiest, cheapest way to improve your stamina.

pfloyd75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 12:16 PM
milbs06

get in better shape. go for a run a couple times a week and you'll feel better.

milbs06 is offline   Reply With Quote