HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

Yelle Waived

Old
10-26-2009, 12:21 PM
karparules

vCash: 500
In my opinion, this was a straightforward hockey decision. Sutter is better than Yelle at this point in their careers. The team is struggling and Yelle wasn't bringing much to the table. For all the talk of him having a year in the minors to get his game together, we all know that Sutter would have made the team out of camp if it hadn't been for Yelle's signing. Therefore, when it seemed that Yelle wasn't really pulling his weight, why not try to lose him and bring Sutter up permanently. I think it's a good move.
Of course, I feel bad for Yelle and hope that he lands on another NHL team.

Also, I'm surprised at all the people saying "why not Wallin?" or Conboy. With Samsonov, we have too much $ invested to expect him to be picked up and we're not one of those teams that can afford to bury multi-million dollar contracts in the minors.
Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see how either Wallin or Conboy has anything to do with our poor record so far. To me, Wallin has been playing a much more effective and physical game than he has in years. I'm sure he's made some bad plays, but so has every player in the league, except maybe Nik Lidstrom. As for Conboy, he plays as expected every night and uses his limited minutes well. You don't expect him to score and yet he's come very close on several occasions. Not to mention his willingness to fight takes the pressure off of players like Gleason and Walker. There are some line chemistry problems for sure, but I'm not really for pointing the finger. These guys are going to have to figure out how to win themselves.

karparules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 12:29 PM
canesnecu

Quote:
Originally Posted by karparules View Post
In my opinion, this was a straightforward hockey decision. Sutter is better than Yelle at this point in their careers. The team is struggling and Yelle wasn't bringing much to the table. For all the talk of him having a year in the minors to get his game together, we all know that Sutter would have made the team out of camp if it hadn't been for Yelle's signing. Therefore, when it seemed that Yelle wasn't really pulling his weight, why not try to lose him and bring Sutter up permanently. I think it's a good move.
Of course, I feel bad for Yelle and hope that he lands on another NHL team.

Also, I'm surprised at all the people saying "why not Wallin?" or Conboy. With Samsonov, we have too much $ invested to expect him to be picked up and we're not one of those teams that can afford to bury multi-million dollar contracts in the minors.
Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see how either Wallin or Conboy has anything to do with our poor record so far. To me, Wallin has been playing a much more effective and physical game than he has in years. I'm sure he's made some bad plays, but so has every player in the league, except maybe Nik Lidstrom. As for Conboy, he plays as expected every night and uses his limited minutes well. You don't expect him to score and yet he's come very close on several occasions. Not to mention his willingness to fight takes the pressure off of players like Gleason and Walker. There are some line chemistry problems for sure, but I'm not really for pointing the finger. These guys are going to have to figure out how to win themselves.
BEST post in a long time. people love to point fingers and blame there favorite goat player (im guilty of pointing at Brindy) but it really comes down to whos doing there job and who isnt. Wallin and Conboy (just using the above examples) are doing exactly what they're being asked to, mistakes come with the game for ALL players but overall these guys are getting it done to their ability. Was someone really expecting Wallin to become a Norris candidate at 35, and Conboy an elite 4th line scorer? These guys just need to learn how to win.

canesnecu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 12:31 PM
caniac247

Well just got the tweet that depending on what happens with Yelle, Sutter will be moved to wing.

caniac247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 12:32 PM
canesnecu

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen View Post
i think sutters future is as wing not at center. dont know about with staal, but who knows. the kid hasnt shown any signs of being a playmaker, but definitely has it in him to go deep on the forecheck and work the boards for loose pucks. thats a good winger. his game seems very similar to a less offensive trevor linden to me, and the same problem occurred much of his career. despite his obvious preference to play rw and his best play coming from there, he often got put at center because he could win draws and was a decent center. jokinen has this same problem. long term id really love to see sutter get a long look at wing.

geoff sanderson was a center through junior, and he was played there as a rookie, holmgren took one look at him and threw him on wing - he scored 46 goals up from 13. not that sutter will ever do that, but players can play their entire careers at the wrong position, if no one ever thinks to try them elsewhere. just cuz a guy is "smart" and has played center doesnt mean he wouldnt make a better winger.
damn bleedgreen we're psychic
http://fans.hurricanes.nhl.com/topic/15678
”I think Brandon Sutter is a guy that can play more than one position,” said Maurice. “I think he’s going to need to if he ends up playing the fourth-line role now or three years from now. He’s going to need more ice time than just that. In order to do that, he’s got to play more than one position and get out of the middle.
“We may move him around,” Maurice continued. “I don’t think we’ll lose anything immediately in doing that, but we may gain something down the road with him having experienced another position.”

canesnecu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 12:33 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Quote:
Originally Posted by eerodynamic View Post
I agree with the Sutter minutes premise, though i would prefer to see him with top 9 wingers......but i dont particularly think a Walks/Sutter/TKO line would be able to contribute any more offensively, at least in terms of scoring, than the last group. That group doesnt have a finisher or a playmaker. Though i could see them grinding in the corners and keeping possesion of the puck for 60+ seconds
I still think we have more to see of Kostopolous and Walker has been surprisingly effective in an offensive capacity this season thus far. If anything, I think that line gives us a better chance to have some of those long shifts like the Bayda - Aucoin - Walker line had where they would just grind it out and have successful shifts that way as opposed to just scoring.

Sutter seems ready to me.... and really there is no point in blocking a guy when he reaches the point of being ready. Not in this day and age of RFA players getting paid like UFA players. May as well use them up on the ELC if you can.

I think Yelle was already on thin ice when Sutter played so well in the preseason. His play being lack luster only expedited the process.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 12:52 PM
imayagainknowanson
Jailbait

So, who will centering fourth line? Even Sutter is ready, i don't understand this move. Yelle is useless so far but i don't see what difference will make this kid. He's my favourite prospect really but...

When Cole is return, we will have Cole, Staal, Ruutu, Whiney, Cullen, Larose, Samsonov, Jokinen, Brind'amour, Walker, Kostopoulos, Conboy and Sutter. Really interesting situation. Maybe JR will try to move some useless guy (Samsonov) and give Sutter opportunity to play in top 9.

imayagainknowanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 12:52 PM
faulkingdynamic
J Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by canesnecu View Post
BEST post in a long time. people love to point fingers and blame there favorite goat player (im guilty of pointing at Brindy) but it really comes down to whos doing there job and who isnt. Wallin and Conboy (just using the above examples) are doing exactly what they're being asked to, mistakes come with the game for ALL players but overall these guys are getting it done to their ability. Was someone really expecting Wallin to become a Norris candidate at 35, and Conboy an elite 4th line scorer? These guys just need to learn how to win.
I think call for Wallin continues because most of us think someone like Carson would bring just as much to the table(with more mobility) and hopefully wouldnt be as prone to watching cross crease passes slide under his limbs to the opponent on the back door ready to hammer the puck. Sadly Nik has become a revolving door in front of the net

faulkingdynamic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 12:55 PM
faulkingdynamic
J Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by caniacho View Post
So, who will centering fourth line? Even Sutter is ready, i don't understand this move. Yelle is useless so far but i don't see what difference will make this kid. He's my favourite prospect really but...

When Cole is return, we will have Cole, Staal, Ruutu, Whiney, Cullen, Larose, Samsonov, Jokinen, Brind'amour, Walker, Kostopoulos, Conboy and Sutter. Really interesting situation. Maybe JR will try to move some useless guy (Samsonov) and give Sutter opportunity to play in top 9.

Staal, Ruutu, Whitney, and Cullen are only ones that would return anything and i dont think JR is looking to move any of them right now........a month from now i could see Cullen and Whitney being shopped.

Old
10-26-2009, 12:59 PM
QuitStaaling

Send a message via AIM to QuitStaaling
Excellent reaction to the poor start! This means Sutter is here to stay. I don't see us going after the much needed top 6 winger BUT we are getting faster and younger. I like you a little better today JR!

QuitStaaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 01:07 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

I'd like to Boychuk on the roster to be honest... Even more so than Sutter... Sutter looked good, but we seem intent to rush him and intent to slowly develop Boychuk. I'm not saying either philosophy is wrong, but I don't understand the reason they are treating the two so different

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 01:16 PM
karparules

Quote:
I think call for Wallin continues because most of us think someone like Carson would bring just as much to the table(with more mobility) and hopefully wouldnt be as prone to watching cross crease passes slide under his limbs to the opponent on the back door ready to hammer the puck. Sadly Nik has become a revolving door in front of the net
Yeah, I've seen Wallin make some bad plays in front of the net, but I've seen him make plenty of good ones as well. I'm excited about the possibilities of guys like Carson, Rodney and McBain too, but Brett Carson is injured right now and McBain is just starting to play well in Albany after looking a bit lost in the first few games. He needs more time in the AHL in my opinion. Bryan Rodney would be a good candidate for a defense callup, but he isn't going to help much with getting guys out of the crease. Whether you like him or hate him, barring injury, Wallin isn't going anywhere right now. At a minimum, Carson needs to get healthy and get in at least 5-10 games in Albany before we should even consider giving him a shot.

As for Boychuk, I do think that he has something to add at the NHL level right now, but his penchant for risky passes makes me nervous. I'd rather give Daniels a season to help him a bit with his decision making. That isn't a problem with Sutter. He has the poise of an NHLer; whether his physique is up to the challenge is a matter of opinion. Obviously, the Hurricanes think it is. I say good for Brandon. He is exactly the type of hard-worker you want on your team.

karparules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 01:19 PM
orignl6

jussi jokinen is much more effective as a centerman than a winger. he should be a full-time center on this team.

orignl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 01:32 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
#bandwagonwildcup

According to the link canesnecu posted above, that is exactly what Mo wants to do with him.

10-26-2009, 01:33 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by orignl6 View Post
jussi jokinen is much more effective as a centerman than a winger. he should be a full-time center on this team.
Completely agree... I'd rather him center for Staal than the other way around... Even though he's more of a 3rd line center... One of our main problems is no traditional 1st line centers

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 01:38 PM
bleedgreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane_SVT View Post
I'd like to Boychuk on the roster to be honest... Even more so than Sutter... Sutter looked good, but we seem intent to rush him and intent to slowly develop Boychuk. I'm not saying either philosophy is wrong, but I don't understand the reason they are treating the two so different
agreed 100%

i like jussi on wing better tho. he makes others around him better at center cuz he hangs back defensively more plays playmaker, i like HIM better when he has more freedom to work around the o zone on wing and tries to score more himself. i agree we are more successful with him at center though.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 01:41 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Yay now we get to see Sutter play 2-8 minutes a night now instead. His development be damned!

If we were willing to put Yelle on waivers we better be willing to put other guys who aren't hacking it on there too.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 01:48 PM
bleedgreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by canesnecu View Post
damn bleedgreen we're psychic
http://fans.hurricanes.nhl.com/topic/15678
”I think Brandon Sutter is a guy that can play more than one position,” said Maurice. “I think he’s going to need to if he ends up playing the fourth-line role now or three years from now. He’s going to need more ice time than just that. In order to do that, he’s got to play more than one position and get out of the middle.
“We may move him around,” Maurice continued. “I don’t think we’ll lose anything immediately in doing that, but we may gain something down the road with him having experienced another position.”
thats good, tho im not sure what he meant by fourth line 3 years from now, i hope he means he WONT be fourth line 3 years from now. if he is that is one wasted pick. i agree he need to not be pigeon holed at center, im glad at least mo is putting that in peoples ears now, and that it stays there if he goes this season or next.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 02:43 PM
Caniac4ever

vCash: 50
I was surprised when I heard this... Doesn't seem like typical JR to do something this soon into the season. That said, I'm tickled he did it. We had to do something, and the benefits of this move could be big... I just really hope another team picks up Yelle now.

Caniac4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 04:25 PM
faulkingdynamic
J Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen View Post
thats good, tho im not sure what he meant by fourth line 3 years from now, i hope he means he WONT be fourth line 3 years from now. if he is that is one wasted pick. i agree he need to not be pigeon holed at center, im glad at least mo is putting that in peoples ears now, and that it stays there if he goes this season or next.
I think the point was that he needed more time than a 4th liner to develop even if down the road he only ends up being a 4th line center. That either seems like a comment to keep the kid grounded, the media grounded, or the organization is starting to believe his ceiling is a third line PKer like John Madden was.

Old
10-26-2009, 04:33 PM
imayagainknowanson
Jailbait

Quote:
or the organization is starting to believe his ceiling is a third line PKer like John Madden was.
It's not that bad but i believe Sutter can be something like Richards from Flyers. Not that good on offense but he's still kid with 50 game in NHL. He just needs time. I will be happy if he developed to be #2. I believe he can do it.

If JR brings kid to be #4.... i will start to think this organisation don't know how to developed prospects.

imayagainknowanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 04:34 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
He worded his thought rather poorly. What he meant was that he would need the versatility to play multiple positions both right now, even on the 4th line, and three years from now.... wherever he may be.

Maurice speaks in fits and starts. He's well spoken, but sometimes he drops words in important places. Had he said, "He'll need the ability to play there both now on the 4th line and three years from now as he develops", then it wouldn't be so dubious.

I am 100% certain that Maurice wasn't implying that Sutter would be on the 4th line three years from now.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 04:41 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
#bandwagonwildcup

^ That was the way I interpreted it as well.

Gotta Catch Em Staal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2009, 12:34 AM
DuklaNation

Well, it didnt take a genius to see that the Yelle signing was a waste of time & money. Somewhat difficult to fix the roster at the current time given the pieces in place already and various contracts. Too many underperformers commanding too much playing time.

DuklaNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2009, 09:52 AM
caniacgirl12

Send a message via AIM to caniacgirl12 Send a message via MSN to caniacgirl12
I guess one minor improvement is cutting the "dead weight" now rather than carrying it on through the season & not making any changes.

10-27-2009, 12:03 PM
caniac247

Well he cleared.

ETA: Sutter was practicing at wing on the 3rd today.

caniac247 is offline   Reply With Quote