HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings v. Black and Blue Jackets: Total Destruction post game THOUGHTS & TIDBITS

Old
10-26-2009, 08:50 AM
BringTheReign

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
(And before someone tees off on the Chimera/Frolov thing, I was in the other room for a chunk of the third period and didn't see it)
Long story short, he basically hit Frolov from behind with both hands leading into Frolov's face, knocking his helmet off as Frolov slammed into the boards.

BringTheReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 09:00 AM
saintsnsoldiers
The Nolanator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMFJ 3 View Post
Not with those 2 offensive zone penalties, otherwise he's been solid.
I think Parse's play on the boards and his 2 big hits plus his assist and his strong play on the puck overshadow his 2 penalties. I hope he sticks, always liked him.

saintsnsoldiers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 09:40 AM
Sane Voice

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightKinger View Post
Kopitar is getting some lucky bounces
Luck has nothing to do with it. Either you are there or not. Either you are doing the right things or not. If you are, then you are scoring goals.

I find it funny, how some people say for every goal Kopitar scores, that "it shouldn'y have happened, goalie mistake". I wonder if these guys realize that Ovechkin has 40 shots per game? Go on NHL.com and see Ovechkin's number of shots and then compare it with Kopitar's.

Sane Voice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 09:59 AM
triplcrown

This is what good chemistry is like.

God, please, make it last!!

triplcrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 10:08 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 552
Wish I saw more of this. Instead I saw a Rob Blake-captained team beat the Flyers.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 10:58 AM
Rommel

Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 11:01 AM
not tellin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
Don't sweat it Justin.

You are still the man.

Hurry back.

He's a good looking guy. Almost as handsome as I am.

not tellin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 11:21 AM
not tellin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
I was pretty upset over the punch on Frolov, I was watching the game with a friend and I turned to him just after the play and the first thing I said was that "Frolov wouldn't even get into a fight with you if you shot his wife" (exaggerating of course), but Chimera was way out of line for targeting anyone, but even more so for going after Frolov of all people...
well, when no one else from the team will fight you that's what ends up happening. i dont blame him and think he was trying to send a message, something that i wish our team did more once the game was out of reach. i'm also not happy that there was no response from ANYONE after the frolov incident, brown was right there, not even a face wash. c'mon guys.

not tellin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 11:28 AM
TonySCV
3 in 5 > 3 in 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by aegwillnotwinthecup View Post
This team is silly good when they're clicking.
It's a good sign that the team is playing this well and it doesn't look like they are overachieving to do it. Aside from Kopitar (while I don't think he's overachieving, it's hard for me to fathom him keeping up a 1.6+PPG pace all season long), the rest of the team just looks like they are doing their part and buying in to the system.

It's nice to see the team starting to find the balance between the solid D they played last season and the improved offense that TM is injecting in to the team this season. It's still a bit shaky at times, but overall, things are improving.

It's good to see Quick settling back into his A game as well.

- T

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 11:45 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
I love this! Thank you. Welcome back Alexander Frolov!

“We still have a lot of guys who haven't scored a goal since Jesus was a baby.” - Darryl Sutter
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 11:56 AM
Knight of the Realm
Heart & Soul

Cautiously optimistic. Good to see Kopi playing the way we all knew he could. Tough games coming up, keep it going boys. Enjoying the success but there is still along way to go.

Knight of the Realm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 11:57 AM
Goallum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

Goallum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 12:04 PM
Sane Voice

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
Aside from Kopitar (while I don't think he's overachieving, it's hard for me to fathom him keeping up a 1.6+PPG pace all season long)
I don't expect that he would start playing worse but... Kopitar is so dominant at the moment, that it pays off for other teams to take some special measures to stop him. This should give much more "room" for other lines and Frolov/Stoll etc. need to take over now.

Old
10-26-2009, 12:57 PM
RightKinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sane Voice View Post
Luck has nothing to do with it. Either you are there or not. Either you are doing the right things or not. If you are, then you are scoring goals.

I find it funny, how some people say for every goal Kopitar scores, that "it shouldn'y have happened, goalie mistake". I wonder if these guys realize that Ovechkin has 40 shots per game? Go on NHL.com and see Ovechkin's number of shots and then compare it with Kopitar's.
Ovechkin has a very dangerous wrist and slap shot whereas Kopitar just has a good wrist shot. Brown shoots a lot too but do you see him putting up big numbers? Kopitar admitted that the goal he scored in the first was a bit lucky.

I'm not saying that he does not deserve what he is getting or anything but you have to admit that some of the goals he has scored of late have been a little lucky. Lucky as in the goaltender will make the save on the shot most of the time. Kopitar is my favorite player so I'm not hating on him...just trying to keep it real.

RightKinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 01:11 PM
vh2k7

Send a message via AIM to vh2k7 Send a message via MSN to vh2k7 Send a message via Skype™ to vh2k7
Quote:
Ovechkin has a very dangerous wrist and slap shot whereas Kopitar just has a good wrist shot. Brown shoots a lot too but do you see him putting up big numbers? Kopitar admitted that the goal he scored in the first was a bit lucky.

I'm not saying that he does not deserve what he is getting or anything but you have to admit that some of the goals he has scored of late have been a little lucky. Lucky as in the goaltender will make the save on the shot most of the time. Kopitar is my favorite player so I'm not hating on him...just trying to keep it real.
good players and goal scorers are frequently among the "luckiest" players in the league. they create their own luck by being in the right places. not every goal ovechkin scores is some cannon from the circle or some epic deke around the goalie. he scores his fair share of garbage, but he's always dangerous because he's always in good position to do damage. kopitar is starting to head toward that kinda territory...obviously not nearly as high up as ovy, but he's just so dangerous every time the puck is near him right now. he's a force.

yeah, mason should've had the first goal yesterday, but kopitar went to the seam, caught the pass, and was in a good position to make a play. it just happened to go in.

vh2k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 01:23 PM
Sane Voice

Quote:

Nobody says you are hating him, this is Kings part of the forum. Post from vh2k7 sums up all my thoughts so I will not repeat it. Ovechkin scores a lot of lucky crappy goals but nobody says how lucky he was, when that happens, that is my point. It is not that easy to score these "lucky" goals, at least not with consistent pace. Last NHL finals had many of those garbage goals, that is how games are often won. I don't think that anyone can score 30 goals in a season without having couple of lucky bounces and goalies not making 100% saves. Goalies are dominant in NHL today, they are huge and it is damn hard to beat them when they do everything right.

Old
10-26-2009, 01:27 PM
KingsCrown

I think im more surprised of Parse's play than anything. He has just made great decisions, smart plays and is actually helping the offense. Who wouldve thought that. Good job by the staff to bring him up and see what he can do. I think he'll definitely stay if he keeps playing like he has been.

KingsCrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 01:40 PM
RightKinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sane Voice View Post
Nobody says you are hating him, this is Kings part of the forum. Post from vh2k7 sums up all my thoughts so I will not repeat it. Ovechkin scores a lot of lucky crappy goals but nobody says how lucky he was, when that happens, that is my point. It is not that easy to score these "lucky" goals, at least not with consistent pace. Last NHL finals had many of those garbage goals, that is how games are often won. I don't think that anyone can score 30 goals in a season without having couple of lucky bounces and goalies not making 100% saves. Goalies are dominant in NHL today, they are huge and it is damn hard to beat them when they do everything right.
There is a big difference between garbage/good position goals and lucky goals but I get where you guys are coming from.

RightKinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 01:42 PM
DeeMeck

Kopi's adjustments are top-notch.

Other teams look at him as a playmaker (which he is). They give him alot of space and cover the other players so they can't receive his passes.

Kopi answers by going all Heatley on everyone and shooting from everywhere. Pucks are going in the net so now teams will have to close in on Kopi...which is EXACTLY what he wants them to do.

When this happens he can go back to playing his game and setting up his linemates for tap-in goals.

As long as he keeps making these great adjustments he will be absolutely unstoppable. You can call Kopi's 1st goal lucky or whatever. Mason was expecting pass 100% and that's why the puck went into the net.

Look at how frustrated Sharks fan are with Thornton. He won't shoot the puck in any circumstance it seems like and other teams have adjusted to this. If he just shot more teams would have no choice but to try and go after him, and that is when Joe is at his best.

These adjustments will set Kopitar apart from everyone else. It is near impossible to prepare for a guy who is going to keep you guessing.

Goalies can play for the pass or play for a shot. He beat nabokov and mason by putting them to sleep because they were expecting a pass. Bryz came out and challenged him and he slid it to Brown for a tap-in.

That is a man who is in top of his game.

Last edited by DeeMeck: 10-26-2009 at 01:48 PM.
DeeMeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 01:56 PM
SFKingshomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeMeck View Post

Other teams look at him as a playmaker (which he is). They give him alot of space and cover the other players so they can't receive his passes.

Kopi answers by going all Heatley on everyone and shooting from everywhere. Pucks are going in the net so now teams will have to close in on Kopi...which is EXACTLY what he wants them to do.

When this happens he can go back to playing his game and setting up his linemates for tap-in goals.

As long as he keeps making these great adjustments he will be absolutely unstoppable. You can call Kopi's 1st goal lucky or whatever. Mason was expecting pass 100% and that's why the puck went into the net.

Look at how frustrated Sharks fan are with Thornton. He won't shoot the puck in any circumstance it seems like and other teams have adjusted to this. If he just shot more teams would have no choice but to try and go after him, and that is when Joe is at his best.

These adjustments will set Kopitar apart from everyone else. It is near impossible to prepare for a guy who is going to keep you guessing.

Goalies can play for the pass or play for a shot. He beat nabokov and mason by putting them to sleep because they were expecting a pass. Bryz came out and challenged him and he slid it to Brown for a tap-in.

Spot on and It's nice to see Kopitar stiff arm players off of him with his strength. He has all the tools to be a top 5 player in this league if he continues to crash the net.

SFKingshomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 02:08 PM
Sane Voice

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeMeck View Post

Great post, I haven't really thought about it this way. Another King who has this ability is definitely Frolov. We saw his second goal yesterday.

Old
10-26-2009, 03:15 PM
DIEHARD the King fan

"100% of the shots not taken, dont go in."
Wayne Gretzky.

Scorers who shoot alot get those lucky bounces. Put the puck at the net, crash the net and get more goals. The whole team bought in and it showed its merit last night against a very good goalie. Hats off to the boys, Great to see Frolov break out too.

As for the Scud attack on Chimera, that's called a hipcheck. Yes he went low, but I don't believe that is prohibited by the rules of hockey. It looked far worse than it was because Chimera's own momentum carried him over and he bounced his face on the ice.
I would be shocked (well not really) if he got any suspension for that hit.

So much more fun to watch than last season. Keep it up!

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 04:43 PM
Holden Caulfield
Global Moderator
The Eternal Skeptic

I really don't think that the Scuds hit was bad. He wasn't really THAT low, I mean he was above the knees. People keep saying, well he SHOULD have hit knees. But he DIDN'T. He was above Chimera's knees, making it legal, IMO. I think once again the consquences(Chimera bleeding) is more to blame than the actual hit.

And BTW, the pic with Chimera's face in the ice is amazing timing, I love it.

Holden Caulfield is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 05:04 PM
lak4ever

I agree that something should have been done after Chimera punched Frolov in the back of the head. I could be mistaken, but was Frolov the player Chimera was threatening on the bench?

lak4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 05:11 PM
Ollie Weeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by lak4ever View Post
I agree that something should have been done after Chimera punched Frolov in the back of the head. I could be mistaken, but was Frolov the player Chimera was threatening on the bench?
They were yacking at each other after the hit. You can see it on the replays.

Ollie Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote