the 6 degrees of the Boston Broons & other stuff

Closed Thread

Old
09-20-2003, 09:54 AM
DKH

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DKH
the 6 degrees of the Boston Broons & other stuff

last night while flipping on the Cards-Stros game I ended up by mistake on ESPN Classic, and they start out SportsCentury with the "Sanderson behind the net....to Orr, he scores and the Boston Bruins have won the Stanley Cup" call by Dan Kelly. Honestly, I am getting chills thinking of it as I type. No video but the call and its the first time it came to me that the call may be as good as the goal itself. Its so rich sounding and Kelly had the greatest goal calls ever; he and Cusick to me are the best two play by play men I have ever heard. Whats also interesting is that even though it was pretty much a forgone conclusion that the Blues had no chance it occured to me the Broons and Patriots both won Championships on the Final play of the game. Amazingly, I can't recall the Celts doing it and many of them were before my time- and the Sox ....anyways, the call of Kelly has the same effect on me as it did the day it happened; sortof like hearing Mrs Robinson by Simon and Garfunkel- I just never got tired of that song and hope I never do and our little smiley face was all the rage just about that time.

Also, John Buccigross, who is my favorite guy on ESPN flipped in a few hockey references with Rob Dibble last night- gotta love Buccigross, who I believe is a Broon guy all the way. He's worked Broon stuff into his shows from time to time and he is fantastic on the hockey show. He's one guy you could talk hockey, politics, music, Cubs history, and Cam Neely as the second best power forward winger to ever play the game.

wondering if Zino hit town and if JJ has any plans to serve Zima or whatever that alcoholic drink is- heck, I had it one time and am not sure if they even make it anymore. I know if JJ had extra Schlitz and Red Dog in the Fleece ice lockers he'd be selling them as nostalgia beer instead of discount.

and if hubofhockey is really kpd- then he just skyrocketed in my eyes to HOF; this is a close knit group and even my lurking buddies who troll here tull me its the best site they have seen in any other sports- and have wondered if the Sox, Celts and Pats ever could pull something off like this; one buddy said the Sox and Pats would probably be to big that this board has a certain number of people and the moderators know who and what they are getting. And whatever happened to (which could be a weekly section) Black Eye? He was buying a house but has vanished- not to confuse with the 70's Drive Inn cult flick 'The House that Vanished'....and Craig who has likewise gone....Craig was great, had an edge to him but had great posts. I also haven't seen many of Taz trades lately- I never read a Taz trade after a night out with the boys because they can be pretty complicated- but one thing is constant. Cal Hulse will be in there somewhere- even if he isn't on the trading teams

Old
09-20-2003, 10:01 AM
Gee Wally
Retired

vCash: 50
Awards:
great post bud...

I'm awaiting confirmation on hubofhockey...my moles are at work..

no matter who he is .. he'll earn his stripes here like everybody else.
That's what sets this place apart from all the rest. It's posters that contribute... IMO..

about BlackEye.. I haven't talked to him in weeks... I don't have his E-mail addy at home and haven't been to work in over a week. I'm planning on hobbling in on Monday and i'll drop him a line..

Or.. B.E. ..if you are lurking say something will ya.

I have no idea about Craig.. though.. wish he too would make an appearance.

BOSTON STRONG !!!
Old
09-20-2003, 10:04 AM
DKH

Wally, I just got back bowling with 3 8ish year olds girls- where is the advil :p ; I wanted to do minigolf in the great weather but ended up in a bowling alley listening to music my kid says "is cool, dad, unlike you" :mad: yah, next time she wants to sit in the car and hear Touch Me by the Doors, I'll make sure to point out this is MY music; I may not be cool but she says Joe Thornton and Sergei Samsonov are- always linking the two together (like I hope it always will be....imagine someday if they both had their #'s retired the same night in the rafters?) I know what your thinking but young Charlie may be at the helm and he may say screw the extra gate and do something thats really COOL.

I'm not greedy- give me ONE STANLEY CUP in the next half dozen years and the dual jerseys in the rafters in 2015 and I'll consider my time as Broons fan from Orr to that night complete.

Old
09-20-2003, 10:08 AM
sammy87

Buccigross, is my favorite anchor on ESPN and he is a huge Bruins fan. He posts weekly articles on ESPN.com's NHL page. Here's one about a golf round with Ray Ferraro, Ray Bourque, and Reggie Lemelin. http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/playof...ory?id=1556363

One Lemelin story from the round.
Lemelin once had a teammate who spoke French, but very little English. In fact, he spoke so little English that no matter what anybody said, his response was: "I tell you one thing, I tell you that!" Reggie said it became a catchphrase on a late 80s Bruins team.

Any idea on who that might be?

Old
09-20-2003, 10:12 AM
Gee Wally
Retired

Awards:
oh and we gotta get Kirk back here too !!

Kirk if you're reading.. It's game time bro. ...check in will ya .. !!!!

and yeah DKH..I have very high hopes of young Charlie....
Give me another Cup ....

and a Sox Championship before I go to the big rink in the sky ..

Old
09-20-2003, 10:39 AM
Ratty

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy87
Buccigross, is my favorite anchor on ESPN and he is a huge Bruins fan. He posts weekly articles on ESPN.com's NHL page. Here's one about a golf round with Ray Ferraro, Ray Bourque, and Reggie Lemelin. http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/playof...ory?id=1556363

One Lemelin story from the round.
Lemelin once had a teammate who spoke French, but very little English. In fact, he spoke so little English that no matter what anybody said, his response was: "I tell you one thing, I tell you that!" Reggie said it became a catchphrase on a late 80s Bruins team.

Any idea on who that might be?
I'ld say it was Normand Leveille. But he played in the early 80's. Reggie showed up in '87. Then again, it could have been Paul Boutilier, a defenceman. Then again, as I jog my memory it could have been either of two other defencemen, Alain Cote or Stephane Quintal.

Old
09-20-2003, 10:46 AM
DKH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratty
I'ld say it was Normand Leveille. But he played in the early 80's. Reggie showed up in '87. Then again, it could have been Paul Boutilier, a defenceman.
think back to the late 80's at the Gahden....."REG-GIE, REG-GIE" I have a fight tape courtesy of HNIC that made the Broon rounds back in the mid to late 80's that has Lemelin fighting Linsman (Oilers). The Rat runs at Reggie and all heck breaks lose. Every March when I get the flu or a bad cold I take the day off and watch this tape along with Slap Shot and my senior thesis video titled, "why Wayne Gretzky can't carry Bobby Orr's jock, and why Gretzky doesn't need to wear one." Its a great day of eating junk food, taking mind altering cold medicine, and watching Stan Jonathan in both french and english beat the beejezus out of Butch Bouchard.

Old
09-20-2003, 01:49 PM
Jim Carey Price

We have Schlitz in Canada...I drink it every now and again....gets you pretty wasted i think its 8%

Old
09-20-2003, 02:11 PM
Bruwinz37

and if hubofhockey is really kpd- then he just skyrocketed in my eyes to HOF; this is a close knit group and even my lurking buddies who troll here tull me its the best site they have seen in any other sports- and have wondered if the Sox, Celts and Pats ever could pull something off like this
------------------------

If you are an avid sox fan check out SonsofSamHorn.com...by far the best Sox discussion group out there. Not sure if they are still accepting members, but you can learn a ton by browsing. Not for the statistically faint at heart.

As far as Dupes, he is most certainly a welcome addition to this board, but just because he posts here doesnt mean I am going to hold him to a different standard. Just about everyone one of us have given him hell because of the work he has put out, now this place is like a virtual love fest for the guy.

I do, however, certainly respect his attempt at conversing with the*real* Bruin fans out here at HF and getting a pulse on what we think, not what Joe Blow Radio Call in guy thinks. If KPD actually listened to what we think are the problems and presented his pieces with our point of view it would be fantastic. If he realizes that a lot of Bruin fans care about things like the draft, prospects etc perhaps he will pay more attention in the future to it and less attention to taking pot shots at Bruins who havent played here in ten years (hello Jon Casey).

Again, I dont want this to seem like I am bashing the guy, and I do respect him for posting here, that takes balls, but I want to see some constructive pieces before I change my view....and dont get me wrong, he is more than capable of doing it, we just only get to see it very sparingly.

Wecome Kevin.

Old
09-20-2003, 02:15 PM
BostonGrl819

Interesting that he reads this site but I still think he complains too much. I'd rather read Nancy Marrapese Burrell anyday (or Kirk, or Murph from the Metro and insidehockey.com).

Old
09-20-2003, 03:53 PM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
I'm not from the area, but KPD just comes across as a pi$$ed off Bruins fan who is just sick of the company line. How can we fault him for that? I can't.

Old
09-20-2003, 04:03 PM
Gee Wally
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8
I'm not from the area, but KPD just comes across as a pi$$ed off Bruins fan who is just sick of the company line. How can we fault him for that? I can't.
neither can I bud...

but , IMO, there's a lot more to it than just being pissed like a lot of us..

Like sharing info. Insight. Prospects. There has to be something right .. no ?

and don't get me wrong.. I'm not looking for a little Sally Sunshine piece but more of who's hot in camp..who's not..

What differences seen so far Sully versus Ftorek...in style, communication.. etc..
Enquiring mind stuff..

not the same old "names" for players that may have been funny a few years ago..

We in Boston pretty much get shutout on talk radio.. NESN rather show freakin' bass masters than a Bruins pre-season game..

What guys like the Boston writers have forgotten is that there is a helluva lot of us real Bruins fans starving for info about our team.
It's hard to come by..

I'll ask a queastion..

Regardless of how we or you "feel" about a writer, any writer, what is the first thing you turn to in the paper ?

I'm not even up the driveway ..I know to turn to page 2 or 3 and try to find anything in the Globe .

That's pretty heady stuff..and I know I'm not the only nut doing it either.

Old
09-20-2003, 04:09 PM
WBC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Wally
neither can I bud...

but , IMO, there's a lot more to it than just being pissed like a lot of us..

Like sharing info. Insight. Prospects. There has to be something right .. no ?

and don't get me wrong.. I'm not looking for a little Sally Sunshine piece but more of who's hot in camp..who's not..

What differences seen so far Sully versus Ftorek...in style, communication.. etc..
Enquiring mind stuff..

not the same old "names" for players that may have been funny a few years ago..

We in Boston pretty much get shutout on talk radio.. NESN rather show freakin' bass masters than a Bruins pre-season game..

What guys like the Boston writers have forgotten is that there is a helluva lot of us real Bruins fans starving for info about our team.
It's hard to come by..

I'll ask a queastion..

Regardless of how we or you "feel" about a writer, any writer, what is the first thing you turn to in the paper ?

I'm not even up the driveway ..I know to turn to page 2 or 3 and try to find anything in the Globe .

That's pretty heady stuff..and I know I'm not the only nut doing it either.

Obviously here in NJ I don't get much Bruins stuff and I have just started reading the Globe online (believe it or not!), as I come here for my Bruins news. The Metro papers here don't offer anything either.
One of my Devils fan friends always calls me the day after the opening game so I can give him the scoop on the new Devils he sees. They don't give you ANYTHING.

Old
09-20-2003, 04:13 PM
Gee Wally
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Obviously here in NJ I don't get much Bruins stuff and I have just started reading the Globe online (believe it or not!), as I come here for my Bruins news. The Metro papers here don't offer anything either.

I guess I'm like Oliver Twist .. "I want more"...

maybe I've become spoiled by this site. and the Hockey News and Kirk's New England Hockey Journal...

maybe it is me.. I just hold ALL the Boston writers more accountable.
Seems to me being tied to the hip of the team..that is where the utmost of info. should come from..

Old
09-20-2003, 04:29 PM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Well he is a writer, reporter, columnist...whatever you choose, and they are supposed to do more than piss and moan and use tired cliches.

He writes for the biggest paper in Boston I expect a heckuva lot more. For examples see Kirk Ledueke and Russ Conway as examples of how hockey *should* be covered.

Old
09-20-2003, 05:05 PM
WBC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz20
Well he is a writer, reporter, columnist...whatever you choose, and they are supposed to do more than piss and moan and use tired cliches.

He writes for the biggest paper in Boston I expect a heckuva lot more. For examples see Kirk Ledueke and Russ Conway as examples of how hockey *should* be covered.

You won't get any arguments from me on Kirk and Russ.....top notch.

Closed Thread