HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Sbisa sent back to Juniors

Old
10-26-2009, 08:20 PM
Gert B Frobe

vCash: 500
Sbisa sent back to Juniors

Probably better for his development in the long run. Who knows - maybe he never matures properly, Lupul quits hockey to pursue a career in music and the Flyers make out in that deal after all.

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 08:25 PM
ForsbergIsOdin

Send a message via AIM to ForsbergIsOdin
Lupul...?

ForsbergIsOdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 08:26 PM
mm6492

I thought he played well against us, but I have not seen him in any other games.

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 08:27 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5775
It was the right decision. Just wish we had the same foresight last year when it was even more clear that he should have been in juniors. I didn't see every game of the Ducks, but I do know he was falling fast on the depth chart.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 08:28 PM
flyguy
Sean Cubeturier

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to flyguy
Until we see what becomes of the 2 first rounders. If we don't win the cup we lose that deal.

Sucks for Sbisa. Hope it doesn't screw him up.

flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 09:12 PM
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher

Luplol.

Vikke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 09:19 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Sbisa started out hot for us last season and slowly trailed off into nothingness.

Same thing has happened to him on the Ducks this year.

He should've stayed in the minors to begin with. There he could've ridden out his bad play and eventually overcome it. In the NHL, if he goes on a bad streak people will second guess him more quickly since he is so young and can be sent back to juniors. This way he never gets to ride out his slump and fix his problems. It's a shame, but this may be the thing that screws him up, not him joining the NHL so quickly.

Granted I'm of the mindset that we should've called up a different defenseman last season when Jones and Parent went down to begin with. If that had never happened these issues about his slumping would have never come to light anyway.

It's almost as if he has all kinds of energy when he first enters the season but runs out of gas quickly. Then he tries to force things.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 09:22 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 1810
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
The NHL rule about the age limit for the AHL is retarded. There are clear examples where you're stunting the development of a tremendous hockey player. He's too good for juniors, but not good enough in the AHL. There's a reason the AHL exists, make it accessible to all players.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 09:28 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
The NHL rule about the age limit for the AHL is retarded. There are clear examples where you're stunting the development of a tremendous hockey player. He's too good for juniors, but not good enough in the AHL. There's a reason the AHL exists, make it accessible to all players.
I agree to an extent, but if this were the case many organizations might try to take advantage of it. The teams will want to bring their prospects up, especially the higher end ones, under an environment that they control, at least a little bit.

Remember Holmgren not liking the developmental path JVR was taking in college? Though the media blew it way out of proportion, the problem still existed. Holmgren wanted to have more control over the situation.

That said, I'm glad he stayed in college. You don't want to force these kids to grow up too quickly.

It's not good for the players or for the sport. It puts 18 year-olds in locker rooms with 40 year olds. That can happen in the NHL of course, but those circumstances are very rare. What you in essence want to do is open the flood gates.

It'll cost other players jobs in the AHL, and often we forget that a lot of these people do this as their job. Those same veterans that help guide younger AHL prospects would become a thing of the past.

Teams in the CHL would lose revenue from all their stars jumping to the AHL so quickly. It'd almost be like a mass exodus of talent every year. Why would the CHL want to do that?

NCAA is no different. The colleges want to keep players for four years. If kids jump right to the AHL because the organization wants them to, NCAA hockey will take a huge dip. D-1 will just become a glorified league of scrubs. Nobody wants that either.

Let the kids be kids and be around other kids. I think it's better for their development in the long run anyway.

I will agree though that in cases like Sbisa's it would be much better if he were sent down to the AHL. That's where I agree with you. Situations where the player has spent a significant amount of time in the NHL already should be taken into consideration.

Last edited by CS: 10-26-2009 at 09:36 PM.
CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 09:32 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

This thread in our section makes me sad that we dont have him anymore....

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 10:19 PM
six sigma
Seahawks/Flyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
This thread in our section makes me sad that we dont have him anymore....
That trade was a great example of how you gotta give to get. Almost all of us were sad to see him go.

six sigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 10:30 PM
Black Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by six sigma View Post
That trade was a great example of how you gotta give to get. Almost all of us were sad to see him go.
Yeah, I kinda wish we still had Luca. My 18 year old mentally challenged (okay mildly mentally retarded) nephew liked him and he doesn't usually pay attention to hockey. I wish Luca well in the future.

Black Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2009, 08:09 AM
jd2210
Registered Non User

I think he's still going to be a special player. That said I sure do like watching Pronger in the orange and black.

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote