HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

This is why 30 teams is too much!

Closed Thread

Old
11-29-2004, 10:16 PM
Madevilz

vCash: 500
This is why 30 teams is too much!

http://rds.ca/hockey/chroniques/167659.html

:lol

Old
11-29-2004, 10:30 PM
PeaceNLove

Omg...

Old
11-29-2004, 10:34 PM
Corey

What an honest admission!

Old
11-29-2004, 10:37 PM
Tuggy

vCash: 1484
Ah so true, so true.

Old
11-29-2004, 10:39 PM
EaGLE1

He said: ''one of the reason why i played in NHL''...

it's different then ''it's the only reason why i played in NHL''..

Basically, it's only the truth. He think he can still play there.

Old
11-29-2004, 11:40 PM
Form and Substance

I don't know what's so funny about the prospect of a marginal player not playing in the big leagues. I'm not trying to moralize in here, I really don't get the humor.

Old
11-30-2004, 05:18 PM
[nixloose] Christoph

Send a message via ICQ to [nixloose] Christoph Send a message via MSN to [nixloose] Christoph
:lol

omg this is too funny! I was loughing this morning, while reading his quote on my way to university

Old
11-30-2004, 06:19 PM
Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leachmeister2000
I don't know what's so funny about the prospect of a marginal player not playing in the big leagues. I'm not trying to moralize in here, I really don't get the humor.
You're not the only one. I guess some people have no shame kicking someone when he's already down.

Old
11-30-2004, 07:03 PM
tritone

I'm pretty well known for being a sarcastic sh8t raiser here but I really don't see any humour in this at all either. The guy is being honest and it can't be easy knowing what he knows.

What I DID find funny was the "pain noir salaire" comment...oh poor poor baby millionaires LOL

Old
11-30-2004, 09:45 PM
PeaceNLove

Don't mistake me: I do sympathize with Traverse. I'd never laugh at somebody because he might loose his job (and I didn't laugh in this thread either).

But as a hockey fan, I have to admit that, yes, 30 teams is too much because that means too many Traverse in the league. So it kind of made his comment ironic. I personally didn't find it funny, but sadly couldn't help but notice the irony.

Old
11-30-2004, 10:07 PM
Brisson11

Send a message via MSN to Brisson11
If anything you should feel sympathy for the guy. He's 30 and he's still playing in the AHL hoping to stabalize himself and get a second chance at cracking the NHL roster. That's determination and a love for the game.

Old
12-01-2004, 01:24 PM
Form and Substance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange
You're not the only one. I guess some people have no shame kicking someone when he's already down.
No you're mistaken, I usually do laugh at the crassest meanest things (with all due respect to Traverse) but I just didn't laugh at this one. It's because it didn't hit the funny bone, I'm criticizing the effctiveness of the joke rather than the actual content of the joke from which there is humor to be found . Well let's just hope he gets a scond chance with Dallas.

Old
12-01-2004, 03:07 PM
Bileur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisson11
If anything you should feel sympathy for the guy. He's 30 and he's still playing in the AHL hoping to stabalize himself and get a second chance at cracking the NHL roster.

I dont but that. He's had tons of chances, its up to him to step up and outplay someone, he needs to show he deserves to be in the top six. Otherwise the AHL is where he should to be anyways. Some players realise that they need to change their style, they are the ones who make it other's dont thats just the way it is.

Old
12-01-2004, 04:05 PM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

feel bad for Traverse but he is not a NHL calibre player. He had more than one chance to prove it.

Old
12-01-2004, 05:21 PM
Brisson11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bileur
I dont but that. He's had tons of chances, its up to him to step up and outplay someone, he needs to show he deserves to be in the top six. Otherwise the AHL is where he should to be anyways. Some players realise that they need to change their style, they are the ones who make it other's dont thats just the way it is.
You never know, he may have tried to change his style to better himself but he just doesn't have enough talent to be NHL full time. He obviously realizes he is not a Full Time NHL'er and not a Top 6 guy at that, but who knows what the guy has been through its gotta feel crappy to know you are that close to playing NHL games and you are that much short in the skills department.

Old
12-01-2004, 10:58 PM

Send a message via MSN to 2112
He's right...30 teams is way too much. At one point I was encouraging expansion (just cause of a higher chance of being drafted ) but that just totally dillates the quality.

Yay Traverse.

Old
12-01-2004, 11:03 PM
EaGLE1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisson11
If anything you should feel sympathy for the guy. He's 30 and he's still playing in the AHL hoping to stabalize himself and get a second chance at cracking the NHL roster. That's determination and a love for the game.
yeah, but that probably pay more than your job.

And he made himself rich when he played in the NHL for a few years.

He's probably the kind of guy who is likely to laugh at you .

Old
12-02-2004, 01:32 PM
Brisson11

Quote:
Originally Posted by EaGLE1

He may be rich but he's not getting anywhere in his career and I am so what do I care whether or not he makes more money than me?

Old
12-02-2004, 10:40 PM
tritone

Quote:
Originally Posted by EaGLE1

That's a pretty silly thing to say...You have no idea what kind of person Traverse is . From what I have heard from his mouth he seems less likely to laugh at people than you do .

Old
12-02-2004, 11:11 PM
MontrealCruiser_83*

No pity for him.

He's made more then enough money for himself. He can still play the sport he loves but everybody reaches a point when they can't cut it in the big leagues anymore. So what. It's part of professional sports. It's also a main reason as to why salaries are getting higher; careers are getting shorter.

Old
12-03-2004, 09:41 AM
Joe Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontrealCruiser_83
No pity for him.

He's made more then enough money for himself. He can still play the sport he loves but everybody reaches a point when they can't cut it in the big leagues anymore. So what. It's part of professional sports. It's also a main reason as to why salaries are getting higher; careers are getting shorter.

MontrealCruiser_83, I am not picking on you, just using your post to comment on careers in hockey.

There is a general concept in union/business relatuonships. Most companies that have unionized employees reuire a particular skill set which is useless for any other employer. The employee knows this going in, so does the business owner.

The employee trades his future for a great paying job and a degree of job security. The best example is an automobile assembly line worker. Sure they get paid a lot. But, if the company every dissapears or they just wante dto fire the worker after 20 years of service, what is he going to put on his resume? "I bolted fenders onto a car frame." Not like that is worthwhile experience for any other employer.

Now, hockey players. If you want to be a pro hockey player, chances are you did not get serious in school. So forget a career at IBM. You traded that for a chance to make big bucks playing a game. We have all seen (and tortured by) player interviews, these guys are not going to find the cure for cancer. But they are amazing athletes. they have very very slim chances of making a career in hockey, whether on or off the ice. There are only so many coach/scout/GM jobs to go around. You better be one the most conected/nice/smart players if you want to get a job after you hang up the skates.

I wish I had the drive to continue playing when I was 16. After my first year of midget, i quit because it was getting too much with school, my band (yeah, another great idea) and having a social life that included the opposite sex. I had the size, smarts and talent to play pro...maybe in Europe. But then again, I would probably now be a 35 year old ex-hockey player looking for a decent job selling sticks for CCM, rather then a relatively successful small business owner who plays garage hockey.

We make choices in life. Traverse made his. We live with the pros and cons of those decisions and the worries and regrets that come along with it.

Sorry for the long post

Old
12-03-2004, 10:01 AM
Joe Cole

oh yeah, and 30 teams is too much. Not because talent is dilluted, but because the cities needed to support 30 teams are not always cities that can relate to hockey.

New rule.... no snow, no team.

Old
12-03-2004, 02:12 PM
MontrealCruiser_83*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole
MontrealCruiser_83, I am not picking on you, just using your post to comment on careers in hockey.

There is a general concept in union/business relatuonships. Most companies that have unionized employees reuire a particular skill set which is useless for any other employer. The employee knows this going in, so does the business owner.

The employee trades his future for a great paying job and a degree of job security. The best example is an automobile assembly line worker. Sure they get paid a lot. But, if the company every dissapears or they just wante dto fire the worker after 20 years of service, what is he going to put on his resume? "I bolted fenders onto a car frame." Not like that is worthwhile experience for any other employer.

Now, hockey players. If you want to be a pro hockey player, chances are you did not get serious in school. So forget a career at IBM. You traded that for a chance to make big bucks playing a game. We have all seen (and tortured by) player interviews, these guys are not going to find the cure for cancer. But they are amazing athletes. they have very very slim chances of making a career in hockey, whether on or off the ice. There are only so many coach/scout/GM jobs to go around. You better be one the most conected/nice/smart players if you want to get a job after you hang up the skates.

I wish I had the drive to continue playing when I was 16. After my first year of midget, i quit because it was getting too much with school, my band (yeah, another great idea) and having a social life that included the opposite sex. I had the size, smarts and talent to play pro...maybe in Europe. But then again, I would probably now be a 35 year old ex-hockey player looking for a decent job selling sticks for CCM, rather then a relatively successful small business owner who plays garage hockey.

We make choices in life. Traverse made his. We live with the pros and cons of those decisions and the worries and regrets that come along with it.

Sorry for the long post
The problem with that analogy is that assembly line workers don't make nearly the amount of money that hockey players do. While it's true that after competitive hockey Traverse's career paths are limited, the guy probably earned well over 3-4 million dollars American in his career. And that is a very very conservative estimate. Assembly line workers don't even compare in earnings. Athletes are over-payed and few should be pitied when they retire (unless it's due to serious injury).

Closed Thread