HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Modano vs Forsberg

Old
10-22-2009, 03:02 PM
marty 4 hart*

vCash: 500
Modano vs Forsberg

Who was better?

Last edited by marty 4 hart*: 10-22-2009 at 03:11 PM.
marty 4 hart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 03:11 PM
BeauRoger

joke thread?

BeauRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 03:13 PM
odgersfan83

Modano

Unless we're talking hockey....then Forsberg

odgersfan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 03:16 PM
jzqt

Forse

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty 4 hart View Post
Who was better?
Forseberg way better

jzqt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 03:30 PM
Pentothal
Listen with one ear

I guess Forsberg isn't overrated then.

Pentothal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 04:05 PM
TasteofFlames

I'm as big of a fan of Modano as there is, but Forsberg is in a completely different realm.

TasteofFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 04:10 PM
Nordic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentothal View Post
I guess Forsberg isn't overrated then.
I was just thinking that too, hehe..

Nordic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 04:11 PM
Washington Capitals

Are you serious?

Washington Capitals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 04:12 PM
Modo
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
Oh man, I'm so happy that OP doesn't know how to create an actual poll.

Someone lock this thread, it's an embarrassment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by odgersfan83 View Post
Modano

Unless we're talking hockey....then Forsberg

Pretty much. I'm as big a fan of Modano as anyone here, but there truly is no comparison.

10-22-2009, 04:35 PM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

Just look at the hardware. It's not close.

Art Ross
Hart Trophy
2 olympic golds
2 stanley cups

Guess which guy has those.

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 04:37 PM
Wario Lemieux*

Liked Modano's career better, but Forsberg was a lot more unstopable in his prime.

Wario Lemieux* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 04:38 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaBargnani View Post
Just look at the hardware. It's not close.

Art Ross
Hart Trophy
2 olympic golds
2 stanley cups

Guess which guy has those.
Actually, Modano has 1 of the things listed. Yeah, um, not close.

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 05:03 PM
TrevorLinden16

well... Modano was injured less...

TrevorLinden16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 05:09 PM
The Big Swede

I guess Forsberg was better when he actually played

The Big Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 05:45 PM
66Lemieux

Not even close Foppa all the way.

66Lemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 06:00 PM
MrDIF

Forsberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Actually, Modano has 1 of the things listed. Yeah, um, not close.
That still doesn't make it close...

MrDIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 07:40 PM
Blackwater Park*

Please, make it stop!

Blackwater Park* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 07:44 PM
tony d
RIP Hot Rod

Peter Forsberg

tony d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 12:52 PM
Nordic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wario Lemieux View Post
Liked Modano's career better, but Forsberg was a lot more unstopable in his prime.
What was better about Mods career?

Old
10-25-2009, 11:17 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
Oh man, I'm so happy that OP doesn't know how to create an actual poll.

Someone lock this thread, it's an embarrassment.
Yeah. Ouch

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 01:17 AM
Blades of Glory
Troll Captain

My only gripe with Forsberg is that he wasn't even close to the best player on either one of his Cup-winning teams. He didn't even play the WCF and SCF in 2000-01, when Sakic, Blake, and Roy carried the Avalanche to a Cup victory without him. In 1995-96, he was a distant, and I mean distant, second to Sakic in the playoffs, as far as skaters go.

He was amazing in almost every other playoff situation, but that is a little weird to see considering how dominant a player he was. No question that his 27 points in three rounds in 2002 were an exhibition of dominance, but then again, he sat out the entire season, while Joe Sakic played 82 games and the Olympics, after playing into June the year before.

As great as Forsberg was, Sakic was the man in Colorado. He proved he could win the Cup with or without Forsberg. He won a Hart Trophy, captained a Stanley Cup champion into mid-June, played all 82 games the next year, was an alternate captain on a Gold Medal-winning Olympic hockey team, and still put up fantastic playoff numbers until he finally got tired, against Detroit in the Western Finals.

As a Sharks fan, who has seen a lot of Peter Forsberg in the playoffs, I can tell you that he was more skilled and more intimidating to face than Sakic. But when the game was close and the stakes were highest, it was #19 that I feared the most. Sakic singlehandedly brought the Avalanche back from down 3-0 in 2004 to 3-2, against the Sharks. Scored the only goal in Game 4 in OT. Scored the tying goal and set up an OT tap in for Forsberg in a 2-1 Game 5 win.

That's why I have trouble ranking Forsberg as high as so many others do. If he had been completely healthy, this whole thing probably wouldn't be an issue. But he never was, and the crazy love for Forsberg on this site is a little much, especially concerning his playoff performances. Were they the stuff of a Hall of Famer? No question the guy is one of the most skilled and best all-around hockey players ever to play. But all these "greatest ever" threads that pop up with his name in it baffle me. He is an all-time great, no doubt, but he still ranks behind someone playing his own position on his own team.

Blades of Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 02:21 AM
Wario Lemieux*

Much, longer career he was a more graceful skater and honorable player. Also played for one team throughout his career. I'm not really trying to say he was a better player or more successful, but I did like how his career turned out.

Wario Lemieux* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 07:35 AM
Nordic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades of Glory View Post
My only gripe with Forsberg is that he wasn't even close to the best player on either one of his Cup-winning teams. He didn't even play the WCF and SCF in 2000-01, when Sakic, Blake, and Roy carried the Avalanche to a Cup victory without him. In 1995-96, he was a distant, and I mean distant, second to Sakic in the playoffs, as far as skaters go.

He was amazing in almost every other playoff situation, but that is a little weird to see considering how dominant a player he was. No question that his 27 points in three rounds in 2002 were an exhibition of dominance, but then again, he sat out the entire season, while Joe Sakic played 82 games and the Olympics, after playing into June the year before.

As great as Forsberg was, Sakic was the man in Colorado. He proved he could win the Cup with or without Forsberg. He won a Hart Trophy, captained a Stanley Cup champion into mid-June, played all 82 games the next year, was an alternate captain on a Gold Medal-winning Olympic hockey team, and still put up fantastic playoff numbers until he finally got tired, against Detroit in the Western Finals.

As a Sharks fan, who has seen a lot of Peter Forsberg in the playoffs, I can tell you that he was more skilled and more intimidating to face than Sakic. But when the game was close and the stakes were highest, it was #19 that I feared the most. Sakic singlehandedly brought the Avalanche back from down 3-0 in 2004 to 3-2, against the Sharks. Scored the only goal in Game 4 in OT. Scored the tying goal and set up an OT tap in for Forsberg in a 2-1 Game 5 win.

That's why I have trouble ranking Forsberg as high as so many others do. If he had been completely healthy, this whole thing probably wouldn't be an issue. But he never was, and the crazy love for Forsberg on this site is a little much, especially concerning his playoff performances. Were they the stuff of a Hall of Famer? No question the guy is one of the most skilled and best all-around hockey players ever to play. But all these "greatest ever" threads that pop up with his name in it baffle me. He is an all-time great, no doubt, but he still ranks behind someone playing his own position on his own team.

That's pure bs as usual.

Old
10-27-2009, 09:18 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades of Glory View Post

Maybe what that means is that his game was pretty consistent in the playoffs, but when the team got higher levels of production from his supporting cast they were able to get over the hump. Just a thought.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote