HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL source: Gagne may need hernia surgery (updates posts #41 and 42)

Old
10-27-2009, 06:39 PM
Bobo420

vCash: 500
Can't resist:

But seriously, I hate to see Gagne go down, he's been one of my favorite players since his days in the Q, hope he's not out for too long.

Last edited by Opus: 10-27-2009 at 06:49 PM. Reason: imbed youtube for poster...
Bobo420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2009, 07:36 PM
Slowbro

well, just remember how well we did without him 2 years ago!

Slowbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2009, 12:16 AM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
There are three options:

1) This is why we have so many players on the roster. Asham, Powe, and Lappy fill in on the top-9.

2) This is why we have all this cap space. Maroon gets called up.

3) SIGN SHANAHAN! WE NEED WINGERS!!!!

Most likely we stick with number one. Betts will be back soon. Asham, Powe, and Lappy are playing well.

By the way, it's a shame but this likely puts the nail in coffin for Gagne's Olympic hopes. I considered him a lock a month ago.
How about signing Miroslav Satan if Simon is gone for a long time? He skates better than Shanny and he will be anxious to play vs. the Pens? Not sure myself, but he's an option, he has skill and he's not that old.

Only news I can find is that he was skating at the Isles' practice rink.

http://www.newsday.com/blogs/sports/...kees-1.1522788

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2009, 12:22 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
How about signing Miroslav Satan if Simon is gone for a long time? He skates better than Shanny and he will be anxious to play vs. the Pens? Not sure myself, but he's an option, he has skill and he's not that old.

Only news I can find is that he was skating at the Isles' practice rink.

http://www.newsday.com/blogs/sports/...kees-1.1522788
Fall-back list:

1. Simon Gagne.

He's injured so I think the team goes to

2. Powe, Asham, Laperriere

If that fails then the team goes to

3a. Maroon ---> Nodl ---> Kalinski

or

3b. Kaspar ---> Kolanos ---> Maroon

depending on whether or not they want to let Maroon get another full year.

If all else fails then it goes to

4. Shanahan
5. Bobby Clarke suits up
6. Satan

What I'm hoping for is 3a.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2009, 01:24 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Fall-back list:

1. Simon Gagne.

He's injured so I think the team goes to

2. Powe, Asham, Laperriere

If that fails then the team goes to

3a. Maroon ---> Nodl ---> Kalinski

or

3b. Kaspar ---> Kolanos ---> Maroon

depending on whether or not they want to let Maroon get another full year.

If all else fails then it goes to

4. Shanahan
5. Bobby Clarke suits up
6. Satan

What I'm hoping for is 3a.

I totally agree, there is a reason some of these guys were signed right? we have guys that are going to have to step up no doubt.
Havent followed the Phantoms as much as I would have liked to so far so I dont know how well Maroon,or Kaspar have faired so far. I would hope they take either of those guys ahead of special K.
Stay far, far away from Shanny.
Didnt he say no to the Flyers last year anyway?

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2009, 01:39 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStevensDotCom View Post
I totally agree, there is a reason some of these guys were signed right? we have guys that are going to have to step up no doubt.
Havent followed the Phantoms as much as I would have liked to so far so I dont know how well Maroon,or Kaspar have faired so far. I would hope they take either of those guys ahead of special K.
Stay far, far away from Shanny.
Didnt he say no to the Flyers last year anyway?
He said no to Philadelphia because he wanted to stay in the NEW YORK area.

Well the Rangers aren't going to take him, and he's done with NJ. That leaves the Islanders? Well, we're pretty close.

The problem is we don't need him. It'd be nice to have him, but he didn't stay in NJ because they didn't give him a top 9 role if I understand it correctly.

Are you going to bench Powe or Asham for anyone other than Gagne or an absolutely on fire Maroon/Nodl at the AHL level?

Those two have earned their ice-time here. Let them have it.

Personally I love Shanny, but he's redundant. You don't fix what's not broken.

Old
10-28-2009, 01:42 AM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:
I loved him too, but its not 1997. or even 06 for that matter.

UseYourAllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2009, 01:54 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
He said no to Philadelphia because he wanted to stay in the NEW YORK area.

Well the Rangers aren't going to take him, and he's done with NJ. That leaves the Islanders? Well, we're pretty close.

The problem is we don't need him. It'd be nice to have him, but he didn't stay in NJ because they didn't give him a top 9 role if I understand it correctly.

Are you going to bench Powe or Asham for anyone other than Gagne or an absolutely on fire Maroon/Nodl at the AHL level?

Those two have earned their ice-time here. Let them have it.

yup. Powe has played very well and Asham has been an offensive suprise as well.
they are going to need another forward. Do you really want to keep putting Cote out there long term? I am not saying call up a guy to replace Powe or Asham, call up someone to replace Cote who is useless.
I guess it would probably be Maroon then right? 2G, 4A in 8 games up in Glens Falls.
I dont like Nodl's game. He didnt show anything last year that is deserving of a recall.

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2009, 02:09 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStevensDotCom View Post
yup. Powe has played very well and Asham has been an offensive suprise as well.
they are going to need another forward. Do you really want to keep putting Cote out there long term? I am not saying call up a guy to replace Powe or Asham, call up someone to replace Cote who is useless.
I guess it would probably be Maroon then right? 2G, 4A in 8 games up in Glens Falls.
I dont like Nodl's game. He didnt show anything last year that is deserving of a recall.
Betts will be back soon so there's no need.

Hartnell - Richards - Asham/Powe/Lappy
vanRiemsdyk - Carter - Briere
Asham/Powe/Lappy - Giroux - Asham/Powe/Lappy/Pyorala
Carcillo - BETTS - Asham/Powe/Lappy/Pyorala

That's what I expect. Obviously shuffled for Stevens' flavor of the period.

If Betts isn't ready yet Cote will be in the lineup. Stevens has shown he's not going to flinch on doing that.

The only way one of our rookies gets called up to replace Gagne, or anyone is brought in for that matter, is if Asham, Powe, Lappy, or Pyorala can no longer hack it on the scoring lines.

In that situation I think Pyorala is the first to get benched.

If they put Gagne on LTIR what they might do is call up Kalinski, Ross, Kaspar, or Kolanos in much the same way they called up Bartulis; to sit around in street clothes basically.

Doubtful Maroon gets called up unless someone else in the top 9 goes down. Quite frankly, god forbid that happens. I want to see Maroon and all, but another AHL season won't hurt him.

Next year I expect only three of Powe, Asham, Betts, Pyorala, and Carcillo to be back at the most. I want it to be Powe, Betts, and my choice between Pyorala and Asham will be determined by the end of the season.

That'll give Maroon his roster spot next season.

Old
10-28-2009, 07:23 AM
captainpaxil

if gagne is going to be out a game or two i dont mind juggling the lines a bit but if he hits ltir then id rather see marroon get the call. his presence in front of the net would be a valuable addition to the top 9 and the lack of one has been evident in the last two games. beyond that id be auditioning kaspar kolanos and probably even legein before i try and bring up nodl for a trade showcase and only after that fails would i look into shanahan. i have absolutely no interest in satan. at least the good news is that its apparently a regular hernia and not the sports hernia that troubled briere etc.

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2009, 07:58 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainpaxil View Post
if gagne is going to be out a game or two i dont mind juggling the lines a bit but if he hits ltir then id rather see marroon get the call. his presence in front of the net would be a valuable addition to the top 9 and the lack of one has been evident in the last two games. beyond that id be auditioning kaspar kolanos and probably even legein before i try and bring up nodl for a trade showcase and only after that fails would i look into shanahan. i have absolutely no interest in satan. at least the good news is that its apparently a regular hernia and not the sports hernia that troubled briere etc.
Based on what, the fact that he's scored some goals in the AHL? Maroon may or may not be a help at the NHL level, but there's no way to know that right now.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2009, 08:27 AM
captainpaxil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Based on what, the fact that he's scored some goals in the AHL? Maroon may or may not be a help at the NHL level, but there's no way to know that right now.
its not so much what hes done but how hes done it. thers isnt someone on the team right now who really excels in the slot. the biggest knock on phat pat has been that hes a one trick pony and its that one trick that we cant really do well right now. im not saying hes a shoe in but hes the kind of player we should be looking at.

Old
10-28-2009, 08:29 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
This.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Maroon looked GREAT in rookie camp and GREAT in prospect camp. Hell, he looked pretty good all last year.

The problem was, I didn't see him at the Flyers vs. Caps rookie scrimmage because he was hurt. That injury followed through the majority of training camp. He was invisible in the preseason after he came back though in all fairness he was not 100%.

I might feel more confident in Kalinski or Ross or Kaspar if it's just for the bottom groupings. No need to bring up Maroon at all. He's got to get tested eventually, but now is not the time. Right now Asham and Powe and even Laperriere fit in the top 9 in short-term roles. Let's not fix what isn't broken.

Old
10-28-2009, 08:52 AM
captainpaxil

Quote:
This.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Maroon looked GREAT in rookie camp and GREAT in prospect camp. Hell, he looked pretty good all last year.

The problem was, I didn't see him at the Flyers vs. Caps rookie scrimmage because he was hurt. That injury followed through the majority of training camp. He was invisible in the preseason after he came back though in all fairness he was not 100%.

I might feel more confident in Kalinski or Ross or Kaspar if it's just for the bottom groupings. No need to bring up Maroon at all. He's got to get tested eventually, but now is not the time. Right now Asham and Powe and even Laperriere fit in the top 9 in short-term roles. Let's not fix what isn't broken.
i did put in the presumption that were looking at 5 or 6 weeks if gagne has hernia surgery. for a stint like that i think we should be exploring our options as far as depth is concerned.

id also put carcillo in that mix (cmon ya knew it was coming) for guys to look at moving up in the lineup.

Old
10-28-2009, 09:09 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainpaxil View Post
its not so much what hes done but how hes done it. thers isnt someone on the team right now who really excels in the slot. the biggest knock on phat pat has been that hes a one trick pony and its that one trick that we cant really do well right now. im not saying hes a shoe in but hes the kind of player we should be looking at.
Look, I hope Maroon gets in some games this year...so we can see what he can do. However, there's no evidence he can be a valuable contributor in the top 9 right now; and we have no way of knowing if he can even keep up with the pace of play at the NHL level.

Old
10-28-2009, 11:25 AM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Quote:
Look, I hope Maroon gets in some games this year...so we can see what he can do. However, there's no evidence he can be a valuable contributor in the top 9 right now; and we have no way of knowing if he can even keep up with the pace of play at the NHL level.
Yep, That should always be a top concern bringing a young player up from the AHL. How can you know before he plays a game at the NHL level?

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2009, 11:29 AM
Opus

Reports...

Quote:
The Philadelphia Flyers have placed Simon Gagne (groin) on the injury reserve list retroactive Monday.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2009, 11:31 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
Yep, That should always be a top concern bringing a young player up from the AHL. How can you know before he plays a game at the NHL level?
Especially in this case. No one has ever questioned Maroon's hands. The problem for him is whether his hands are good enough to keep him in a scoring line role, and if his feet are good enough to get him chances at the NHL level. Given his footspeed problem, I find it unlikely you can view him as an option on a third line...so, I'm not sure he's a saving grace, or demanding a call up at this point.