HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Yan Stastny on re-entry waivers

Old
10-26-2009, 02:40 PM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

vCash: 50
Yan Stastny on re-entry waivers

According to Andy Strickland
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Andy-...Closer/5/23904

Stastny getting recalled.
Armstrong back from the swine flu
Carlo will be ready by Wednesday
Brewer VERY VERY CLOSE!

Randall Ritchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 02:52 PM
Stang

vCash: 500
Hopefully nobody touches Yan! Good to hear Cola is ok but with him being Ok and Brewer being that close to return...Petro's chances get slimmer and slimmer

Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 03:33 PM
STL fan in IA

Good to see Yan get the call - he deserves it. I just hope he doesn't get claimed.

STL fan in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 04:12 PM
blue bleeder 24-7

It'd be great to see Brewer back in the line-up. I really hope Brewer isn't rushing to get into the line-up. I know I read somewhere that Murray (I think) said it's Brewer's timetable. I'm not accusing management, I just hope Brewer is 100% when he comes back... re-injuring his back could be absolutely disastrous.

I guess I'm just a worrier, that's why my friends call me whiskers.

blue bleeder 24-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 04:34 PM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang View Post
Hopefully nobody touches Yan! Good to hear Cola is ok but with him being Ok and Brewer being that close to return...Petro's chances get slimmer and slimmer
Depends, if Petro plays the way he did last game, he's not going ANYWHERE.

Old
10-26-2009, 07:51 PM
execwrite

According to pjstar.com, Stasny won't have to clear waivers.
==============
But St. Louis is down to 11 forwards, which is trouble for the Rivermen. The 11, however, is an important distinction, in that under NHL rules St. Louis can now call-up a waivers-eligible forward from the Rivermen under emergency conditions.
On a regular call-up for a veteran like Yan Stastny or Derek Armstrong, a clock would start on the player when he reaches the NHL. If his stay reaches 10 games or 30 days, he would have to be offered on NHL Waivers again in order to get him back down to Peoria.
But on emergency call-up, the clock does not start. The player can go up, stay and play, and return without waivers. Twelve healthy forwards is the cutoff. Once an NHL team has fewer than 12, it can classify call-ups as emergency.

execwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 08:43 PM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by execwrite View Post
According to pjstar.com, Stasny won't have to clear waivers.
==============
But St. Louis is down to 11 forwards, which is trouble for the Rivermen. The 11, however, is an important distinction, in that under NHL rules St. Louis can now call-up a waivers-eligible forward from the Rivermen under emergency conditions.
On a regular call-up for a veteran like Yan Stastny or Derek Armstrong, a clock would start on the player when he reaches the NHL. If his stay reaches 10 games or 30 days, he would have to be offered on NHL Waivers again in order to get him back down to Peoria.
But on emergency call-up, the clock does not start. The player can go up, stay and play, and return without waivers. Twelve healthy forwards is the cutoff. Once an NHL team has fewer than 12, it can classify call-ups as emergency.
Armstrong doesn't have to clear anyway as he took a low salary so he wouldn't have to, or something those lines.

Old
10-26-2009, 10:41 PM
STL fan in IA

Eminian probably could've written his piece a little more clearly but he's referring to Yan not having to go through waivers on the way back down to Peoria not re-entry waivers on the way up. Normally, players have to go through waivers again if they are sent down but have been on the NHL roster for either 10 games or 30 games (whichever comes first) but in this instance, since the Blues are under 12 forwards, that clock doesn't start. For that to even come into play though, Yan still has to clear re-entry waivers.

Old
10-27-2009, 12:33 AM
rumrokh
I Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshniak View Post
Armstrong doesn't have to clear anyway as he took a low salary so he wouldn't have to, or something those lines.
This would be the first I've ever heard of such a thing. He signed a two-way contract, but that doesn't affect waivers, all it does is mean his salary is reduced when he's playing in the AHL. He had to clear waivers to go down earlier in the year, he'd have to clear waivers to come up now.

rumrokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2009, 12:49 AM
Cheli

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumrokh View Post
This would be the first I've ever heard of such a thing. He signed a two-way contract, but that doesn't affect waivers, all it does is mean his salary is reduced when he's playing in the AHL. He had to clear waivers to go down earlier in the year, he'd have to clear waivers to come up now.
Not sure if this is where Oshniak got it from, but JR mentioned the same in his blog:
http://www.stltoday.com/blogzone/mor...t-at-practice/

Quote:
Correcting a blog that I wrote Saturday, Statsny does need to clear re-entry waivers. That’s because he has a contract ($500,000) that exceeds $105,000.
Armstrong does not have to clear re-entry waivers. He purposely accepted a contract of $105,000 so that he wouldn’t have to clear.
I guess he needs to clear waivers going down (e.g. earlier this year) but not re-entry?

Cheli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2009, 01:03 AM
rumrokh
I Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheli View Post
Not sure if this is where Oshniak got it from, but JR mentioned the same in his blog:
http://www.stltoday.com/blogzone/mor...t-at-practice/

I guess he needs to clear waivers going down (e.g. earlier this year) but not re-entry?
Now I remember hearing/reading something about that. I guess we'll have to see.

Old
10-27-2009, 12:12 PM
STL fan in IA

Again, Stastny definitely had to clear re-entry waivers to join the team and he cleared this morning. Depending on the circumstances, Yan likely won't have to clear waivers on the way back down - that's all Rivermen beat writer Dave Eminian was talking about.

Old
10-27-2009, 01:26 PM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

Stastny Clears. I hope he impresses enough to stay. He's got a lot of skill. He's just always put in places where he cant score. He'll likely center a line of Janssen and Winchester. He's not going to score much on that line.
Put him in position to score, and he will.

Last edited by Randall Ritchey: 10-27-2009 at 01:43 PM.
Old
10-27-2009, 01:48 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 714
Quote:
Stastny Clears. I hope he impresses enough to stay. He's got a lot of skill. He's just always put in places where he cant score. He'll likely center a line of Janssen and Winchester. He's not going to score much on that line.
Its overall better for the team to upgrade...so if he bumps someone out its good for the Blues. But whose place would he take? Or are you just assuming King is gone long-term (probably a reasonable assumption) and no one else goes down?

I'm glad Stastny is getting a chance, if for no other reason than its good for morale in Peoria for the players to see a guy work hard, do well and then get rewarded. I'm also glad to see Blues' management sticking to what they told him (ie that he would be the first call-up if he was the best player).

I'm just as eager to see Eller and then Palushaj as the next guy, but this feels like the move with more integrity. I view Stastny as a replacement for Steen more than anything, although he could very well likely stay up when Steen returns.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2009, 03:19 PM
rumrokh
I Bleed Blue

Quote:
He's got a lot of skill. He's just always put in places where he cant score. He'll likely center a line of Janssen and Winchester. He's not going to score much on that line.
I disagree with this. He's fairly fast and physically solid and he has some decent skills, like a relatively quick release. But as far as the majority of the NHL goes, Yan Stastny has hands of stone and not much offensive IQ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
IOr are you just assuming King is gone long-term (probably a reasonable assumption) and no one else goes down?
King has a broken/dislocated hand and is out at least two months, probably more.

Old
10-27-2009, 04:47 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
Its overall better for the team to upgrade...so if he bumps someone out its good for the Blues. But whose place would he take? Or are you just assuming King is gone long-term (probably a reasonable assumption) and no one else goes down?

I'm glad Stastny is getting a chance, if for no other reason than its good for morale in Peoria for the players to see a guy work hard, do well and then get rewarded. I'm also glad to see Blues' management sticking to what they told him (ie that he would be the first call-up if he was the best player).

I'm just as eager to see Eller and then Palushaj as the next guy, but this feels like the move with more integrity. I view Stastny as a replacement for Steen more than anything, although he could very well likely stay up when Steen returns.
Palushaj hasn't been playing very well at Peoria. Until he does, I don't think we should worry about seeing him in The NHL. We haven't even seen Eller yet (who has been playing at a PPG pace and flashing a lot of skill. I'll be happy just having Eller come up.

Last edited by Robb_K: 10-27-2009 at 10:00 PM.
Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2009, 08:38 PM
execwrite

I hope Eller, Palushaj, Bishop and Junland all stay in Peoria for the whole season. Riding the shuttle up and down just slows their growth unless they are ready for the NHL full-time.

Old
10-27-2009, 09:49 PM
ChicagoBlues

Quote:
I hope Eller, Palushaj, Bishop and Junland all stay in Peoria for the whole season. Riding the shuttle up and down just slows their growth unless they are ready for the NHL full-time.
I kind of agree with that. Although, I wouldn't be surprised to see Eller and Junland called up at some point.

ChicagoBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2009, 10:02 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
Not sure about Junland, but I'd bet Eller is ready, and won't need to return to The AHL. The sooner he's brought up, the better (is my opinion).

Old
10-28-2009, 07:16 AM
execwrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb_K View Post
Not sure about Junland, but I'd bet Eller is ready, and won't need to return to The AHL. The sooner he's brought up, the better (is my opinion).
I agree with you that every player is different. Eller may well be ready. But I don't see a full-time role for him in St. Louis now. If Kariya or Tkachuk go down to injury for an extended period, then I say bring up Eller and let him play every game.

I think he certainly replaces one of them next season.

Old
10-28-2009, 12:46 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
I agree with you that every player is different. Eller may well be ready. But I don't see a full-time role for him in St. Louis now. If Kariya or Tkachuk go down to injury for an extended period, then I say bring up Eller and let him play every game.

I think he certainly replaces one of them next season.
With the poor scoring from the forwards, currently, and with Winchester not producing and not playing well, I think there could be a place for Eller. Winchester could be a healthy scratch. Oshie and DJ. are out. There IS room.

Old
10-28-2009, 12:55 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 714
Quote:
With the poor scoring from the forwards, currently, and with Winchester not producing and not playing well, I think there could be a place for Eller. Winchester could be a healthy scratch. Oshie and DJ. are out. There IS room.
I had the same thought. Winchester is playing himself out of the line-up at the moment. I realize Eller doesn't have the size...but he is more physical than a few of our current offensive forwards.

I have no complaints about how things are going for Eller at the moment, but I'm very much looking forward to seeing him in St Louis some time this season.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2009, 01:49 PM
Silent Shout

Quote:
I had the same thought. Winchester is playing himself out of the line-up at the moment. I realize Eller doesn't have the size...but he is more physical than a few of our current offensive forwards.

I have no complaints about how things are going for Eller at the moment, but I'm very much looking forward to seeing him in St Louis some time this season.
I can see Eller getting a call up in December if things continue the way they are. This could turn into one of those speed bump years that happens to young teams.

Silent Shout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2009, 01:59 PM
STL fan in IA

Quote:
While I would like to see Eller, from a business standpoint, I would be shocked if the Blues sat a healthy Winchester (or anyone else for that matter) and recalled Eller to take his place in the lineup. Winchester costs $800k whether he's playing in the NHL, in the AHL, injured or sitting as a healthy scratch. Eller on the other hand only makes $65k in the AHL but the Blues would have to pay him $875k (prorated) in the NHL. I just don't see the Blues taking on that extra expense to sit a healthy player. They'd likely only do it to replace an injured player - in that scenario the Blues would have to take on the extra expense simply to be able to dress a full lineup.

I would like to see Eller get his chance as much as anyone but from a business perspective, I can see why it likely won't be right away. Besides, while he's doing quite well in Peoria, it's not like he's dominating nor is it like he doesn't have more he can learn in the AHL. If at some point it becomes apparent that Eller is beyond the AHL and should be with the Blues and would likely help the team quite a bit, my guess is the Blues would try to do what they would have to to get Eller in STL. I don't think we're at the point yet though. Eller's had a good start; he just needs to keep going.

Old
10-28-2009, 02:58 PM
execwrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL fan in IA View Post
While I would like to see Eller, from a business standpoint, I would be shocked if the Blues sat a healthy Winchester (or anyone else for that matter) and recalled Eller to take his place in the lineup. Winchester costs $800k whether he's playing in the NHL, in the AHL, injured or sitting as a healthy scratch. Eller on the other hand only makes $65k in the AHL but the Blues would have to pay him $875k (prorated) in the NHL. I just don't see the Blues taking on that extra expense to sit a healthy player. They'd likely only do it to replace an injured player - in that scenario the Blues would have to take on the extra expense simply to be able to dress a full lineup.

I would like to see Eller get his chance as much as anyone but from a business perspective, I can see why it likely won't be right away. Besides, while he's doing quite well in Peoria, it's not like he's dominating nor is it like he doesn't have more he can learn in the AHL. If at some point it becomes apparent that Eller is beyond the AHL and should be with the Blues and would likely help the team quite a bit, my guess is the Blues would try to do what they would have to to get Eller in STL. I don't think we're at the point yet though. Eller's had a good start; he just needs to keep going.
Very good point about the economics. Not something that I considered but clearly an important factor to management.