What do you think? Let's rank the goalies who have a shot at Provy and Beantown from 1 to 5. I haven't seen them play yet, but I imagine people might say (for example) something like:
Everyone talks about Hannu and Andy...but how have Shields and Potvin played??? They're important too!
In the 6 days of camp that I went to, each and every one of our goaltenders were lit up like Christmas trees during the scrimmages at one point or another.
Mike Brown outshone all five of the above guys on two of the six days. The other four days, they each made some great saves, but proved to be great sieves on other occasions.
To make Boston:
I firmly believe that Toivonen and Thomas will be minding net in Providence this season, and that Boston will keep three goalies around until something can be done with Shields (or Raycroft, but Shields is more likely to go), at/around the time of the waiver draft.
1) Toivonen - Unlimited ceiling.
2) Raycroft - Limited ceiling, but it's a high one.
3) Potvin - Very talented, but with a known, exploitable fault.
4) Shields - Needs the stars to be aligned.
5) Thomas - Low on skill, seems to do a good job of getting teams to 'play' for him though.
Political value (AKA Bruins Depth Chart)....
Potvin, Raycroft and Shields are playing for two spots. The odd man out is going to get ditched. I think that means Raycroft, too, if he's the odd man.