HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

10/28/09 Montreal @ Pittsburgh 730PM RDS/FS-P habs lose a big one

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-28-2009, 09:18 PM
  #26
zx81
Registered User
 
zx81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,554
vCash: 500
1 Win in regulation in 12 games.
Bah expect another humiliation Friday.

zx81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2009, 09:18 PM
  #27
Canadian_Brewtality
Registered User
 
Canadian_Brewtality's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,992
vCash: 500
few observations:

-Started off very strong, Fleury played well.
-Crosby put on a show
-First line was invisible
-2nd line was invisible
-too many turnovers in the D zone
-Gionta had his worst game as a hab
-I absolutely hated Price's body language. Looked like he was sulking in nets. I cant believe this guy.

JM really needs a way to tighten it up on the road.

Canadian_Brewtality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2009, 09:19 PM
  #28
m00ks
Registered User
 
m00ks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 7,911
vCash: 500
We had no fight after that 2nd goal. Pure intimidation. Friday's response is crucial. May have demoralized this team and played with their confidence. Big line better have a big one.

m00ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2009, 09:19 PM
  #29
MathMan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 17,258
vCash: 500
Meh. IMO blowouts are often just about meaningless when comparing teams, when they're like this when a game that was more or less evenly played for a while spirals out of control, or just goes out of control right off the start. Hockey's like that, it's really easy to pounce on three breakdowns and end up scoring 3 quick goals. With the Habs still in the growing pains stage and missing their best player, I wouldn't put too much meaning into this game. Works both ways, too -- one of these days the Habs will catch a team when their defense is off and pounce and blow them out without having to actually outplay them by a lot.

I'm actually reminded of a game the Habs won 4-0 against the Sens last year -- Higgins had a hat trick. I came away thinking that yeah, the Habs had been better, but not 4-0's worth of better. After two periods tonight, had the Pens *really* been 4-0's worth of better... or had they just pounced on bad breakdowns?

I'm also reminded of another game they played against Ottawa in 07-08, where the Habs had a number of early breakdowns, allowed 3 or 4 goals in the first 5 minutes, and lost something like 6-1, too. Didn't mean a whole lot then, either, and the Habs came back to win the next two games between the two -- one a spiral-out-of-control game where they led 7-1 after 2 (then mailed the third in), and one a truly dominating 3-0 shutout.

I dunno. I still like this team's potential better than any Habs team in recent years. Breakdowns are a lot more fixable than getting schooled on possession.

I am, however, worried by this tendancy of outplaying teams and coming into the 2nd tied or losing -- with the Habs' atrocious puck luck, that's bound to happen again -- and then losing the handle on the game. Have to keep at it.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2009, 09:19 PM
  #30
KingGallagherXI
Registered User
 
KingGallagherXI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,827
vCash: 500
The team wasn't "tight" at all tonight.

I thought Latendresse, Pacioretty and A. Kostitsyn were pretty damn bad.

KingGallagherXI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2009, 09:20 PM
  #31
Vinceee
Go Foreurs Go!
 
Vinceee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Amos, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,455
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Vinceee
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastRide View Post
Bob should pick up a few more slow footed defensemen. This way we can see more breakaways.
Hammer and Spacek were on the ice for that breakaway goal... nice try tough

Vinceee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2009, 09:21 PM
  #32
totalrecall
 
totalrecall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 3,498
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysonlu View Post
I has mentionned in the other thread, we should suck and then pick a few superstars that will carry us to success for the next 15 years. The tried and true Penguins model.

Really, this is a ****ing joke: Mario Lemieux, Jagr, Malkin, Crosby, WTF? And the Lightning: Lecavalier, Richards, Stamkos, Hedman. **** hockey cities getting all the goods. Oh and did I mention Washington?
big facepalm for you


totalrecall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2009, 09:21 PM
  #33
odishabs
Registered User
 
odishabs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 4,154
vCash: 500
THE SECRET TO BEATING PRICE

"high glove"

odishabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2009, 09:23 PM
  #34
overlords
#BargainBanned
 
overlords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 26,528
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Meh. IMO blowouts are often just about meaningless when comparing teams, when they're like this when a game that was more or less evenly played for a while spirals out of control, or just goes out of control right off the start. Hockey's like that, it's really easy to pounce on three breakdowns and end up scoring 3 quick goals. With the Habs still in the growing pains stage and missing their best player, I wouldn't put too much meaning into this game. Works both ways, too -- one of these days the Habs will catch a team when their defense is off and pounce and blow them out without having to actually outplay them by a lot.

I'm actually reminded of a game the Habs won 4-0 against the Sens last year -- Higgins had a hat trick. I came away thinking that yeah, the Habs had been better, but not 4-0's worth of better. After two periods tonight, had the Pens *really* been 4-0's worth of better... or had they just pounced on bad breakdowns?

I'm also reminded of another game they played against Ottawa in 07-08, where the Habs had a number of early breakdowns, allowed 3 or 4 goals in the first 5 minutes, and lost something like 6-1, too. Didn't mean a whole lot then, either, and the Habs came back to win the next two games between the two -- one a spiral-out-of-control game where they led 7-1 after 2 (then mailed the third in), and one a truly dominating 3-0 shutout.

I dunno. I still like this team's potential better than any Habs team in recent years. Breakdowns are a lot more fixable than getting schooled on possession.

I am, however, worried by this tendancy of outplaying teams and coming into the 2nd tied or losing -- with the Habs' atrocious puck luck, that's bound to happen again -- and then losing the handle on the game. Have to keep at it.
i really like your posts and this one in particular felt like you were giving me a hug to make me feel better

overlords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2009, 09:23 PM
  #35
habfan1968
Registered User
 
habfan1968's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,137
vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysonlu View Post
I has mentionned in the other thread, we should suck and then pick a few superstars that will carry us to success for the next 15 years. The tried and true Penguins model.

Really, this is a ****ing joke: Mario Lemieux, Jagr, Malkin, Crosby, WTF? And the Lightning: Lecavalier, Richards, Stamkos, Hedman. **** hockey cities getting all the goods. Oh and did I mention Washington?
Stop it already, as a habs fan you know that is never going to happen, never, ever ever. You can want it if you want but if that is what you truly want there are teams looking for fans in Phoenix, Tampa, etc.. We don't need you here.

habfan1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2009, 09:23 PM
  #36
Nedved
Registered User
 
Nedved's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,790
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by odishabs View Post
THE SECRET TO BEATING PRICE

"high glove"
i thought it was just get the puck on net, or even near it.

Nedved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2009, 09:24 PM
  #37
Hab-a-maniac
Registered User
 
Hab-a-maniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Toronto via Calgary!
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,375
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysonlu View Post
I has mentionned in the other thread, we should suck and then pick a few superstars that will carry us to success for the next 15 years. The tried and true Penguins model.

Really, this is a ****ing joke: Mario Lemieux, Jagr, Malkin, Crosby, WTF? And the Lightning: Lecavalier, Richards, Stamkos, Hedman. **** hockey cities getting all the goods. Oh and did I mention Washington?
I hear ya but Pittsburgh is not a **** hockey market. Washington has been average and Tampa has been poor, only flocking to games to see a cup winner (I don't care what any Bolts fan says because very few other teams have a more fairweather fanbase). All those Hab superstars of the 40s to 70s and since then almost nothing. The league changed in the post-WHA days and not for the better as far as NHL original six teams are concerned. Have to share the wealth with **** hockey markets now. And it's not like MLB since the Habs are not in one of the richest markets and couldn't spend more than anyone else in a non-cap world like the Yankees do to keep their empire going. (Sigh) Most of us were born a few decades too late to see any regular Hab glory. Now we're sitting in the midst of the black years in an otherwise wildly successful franchise history.

Hab-a-maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2009, 09:25 PM
  #38
Aznrx8
Registered User
 
Aznrx8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 361
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysonlu View Post
I has mentionned in the other thread, we should suck and then pick a few superstars that will carry us to success for the next 15 years. The tried and true Penguins model.

Really, this is a ****ing joke: Mario Lemieux, Jagr, Malkin, Crosby, WTF? And the Lightning: Lecavalier, Richards, Stamkos, Hedman. **** hockey cities getting all the goods. Oh and did I mention Washington?
Dude you would be the one posting about how we suck all those years before getting any of those players. You would still whine if we tank so what's the point?

Aznrx8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2009, 09:25 PM
  #39
Bill McNeal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,662
vCash: 50
Amazing that even in a game where Halak gets pulled Price gets grief in the PGT.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2009, 09:25 PM
  #40
MathMan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 17,258
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
i really like your posts and this one in particular felt like you were giving me a hug to make me feel better
I don't want to pretend that being blown out is a good thing, and I am getting increasingly worried by how the Habs are getting badly outscored at evens.

But I hate things getting blown out of proportion, too.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2009, 09:26 PM
  #41
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable
 
Fish on The Sand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Nanaimo
Country: Canada
Posts: 52,474
vCash: 500
maybe we can take out our frustration on Huet.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2009, 09:26 PM
  #42
Maliki2
Registered User
 
Maliki2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Saint Albans, VT
Country: United States
Posts: 10,989
vCash: 500
Ugh just got home from work, watched the DVR of the game. This is what I was afraid of, our D is just not good enough for the decent teams. And when our first line isn't scoring there isn't much else.

Maliki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2009, 09:26 PM
  #43
Poulet Kostopoulos
Registered User
 
Poulet Kostopoulos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,852
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan1968 View Post
Stop it already, as a habs fan you know that is never going to happen, never, ever ever. You can want it if you want but if that is what you truly want there are teams looking for fans in Phoenix, Tampa, etc.. We don't need you here.
Why so serious? It's just hockey. Will you lose sleep tonight?

Poulet Kostopoulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2009, 09:27 PM
  #44
Brisk-Illusion
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,159
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zx81 View Post
1 Win in regulation in 12 games.
Bah expect another humiliation Friday.
It's actually 1 in 20 when you count in the end of last season.

Anyways, it doesn't really matter as does tonight's game; it was a collectively bad game against a far superior opponent. These kinds of games will happen to any team once in a while during an 82 game schedule.

On a side note, I wonder what causes Halak to be such a different goalie at home and away.

Brisk-Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2009, 09:28 PM
  #45
Corey
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,300
vCash: 500
I'm discouraged. We'll see additional games in which the Little Three line dominates weak teams, but it won't mean a thing.

Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2009, 09:30 PM
  #46
zx81
Registered User
 
zx81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,554
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by m00ks View Post
Lol Idiotic comment.
How's that idiotic ?
Have you seen them play on the road this season ?
I expect Chicago to score at least 5.
Hawks 5 Habs 2

zx81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2009, 09:30 PM
  #47
Poulet Kostopoulos
Registered User
 
Poulet Kostopoulos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,852
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aznrx8 View Post
Dude you would be the one posting about how we suck all those years before getting any of those players. You would still whine if we tank so what's the point?
OK, I just realize some fans are sooo freaking serious about hockey and their team. For God sakes, relax. Are you people the ones out there in front of the Bell Center begging that the Habs to sign Kovy at all cost?

Of course, the Habs won't and shouldn't tank. Just to point out the ridiculous cases of the Pens, the Lightnings and some other teams.

Poulet Kostopoulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2009, 09:30 PM
  #48
m00ks
Registered User
 
m00ks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 7,911
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanwuc View Post
: did you see the two goals?
Coming in cold amidst and onslaught, yeah it was expected. The game was lost at that point and Martin put him in to dust off some cobwebs.

m00ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2009, 09:30 PM
  #49
Coldplay
Courage
 
Coldplay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,578
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Excellent contribution there bub.

Good to know I can't call out a player for playing poorly without be branded as part of X's brigade.
Hey, I was just mirroring your comment but for the Price homers.

Didn't exactly say you're a part of X's brigade.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2009, 09:31 PM
  #50
King Woodballs
**** HFJets
 
King Woodballs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Your Mind
Posts: 34,160
vCash: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanwuc View Post
: did you see the two goals?
yeah the first was a screem from three people and the second was on a break that could have been stopped
halak 3 **** goals and then crosby's dangle in front

but at the end of the day everyone stank goalies included

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:35 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.