HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

10/28/09 Montreal @ Pittsburgh 730PM RDS/FS-P habs lose a big one

Old
10-28-2009, 09:18 PM
zx81

vCash: 500
1 Win in regulation in 12 games.
Bah expect another humiliation Friday.

zx81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2009, 09:18 PM
Canadian_Brewtality

few observations:

-Started off very strong, Fleury played well.
-Crosby put on a show
-First line was invisible
-2nd line was invisible
-too many turnovers in the D zone
-Gionta had his worst game as a hab
-I absolutely hated Price's body language. Looked like he was sulking in nets. I cant believe this guy.

JM really needs a way to tighten it up on the road.

Canadian_Brewtality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2009, 09:19 PM
m00ks

We had no fight after that 2nd goal. Pure intimidation. Friday's response is crucial. May have demoralized this team and played with their confidence. Big line better have a big one.

m00ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MathMan

Meh. IMO blowouts are often just about meaningless when comparing teams, when they're like this when a game that was more or less evenly played for a while spirals out of control, or just goes out of control right off the start. Hockey's like that, it's really easy to pounce on three breakdowns and end up scoring 3 quick goals. With the Habs still in the growing pains stage and missing their best player, I wouldn't put too much meaning into this game. Works both ways, too -- one of these days the Habs will catch a team when their defense is off and pounce and blow them out without having to actually outplay them by a lot.

I'm actually reminded of a game the Habs won 4-0 against the Sens last year -- Higgins had a hat trick. I came away thinking that yeah, the Habs had been better, but not 4-0's worth of better. After two periods tonight, had the Pens *really* been 4-0's worth of better... or had they just pounced on bad breakdowns?

I'm also reminded of another game they played against Ottawa in 07-08, where the Habs had a number of early breakdowns, allowed 3 or 4 goals in the first 5 minutes, and lost something like 6-1, too. Didn't mean a whole lot then, either, and the Habs came back to win the next two games between the two -- one a spiral-out-of-control game where they led 7-1 after 2 (then mailed the third in), and one a truly dominating 3-0 shutout.

I dunno. I still like this team's potential better than any Habs team in recent years. Breakdowns are a lot more fixable than getting schooled on possession.

I am, however, worried by this tendancy of outplaying teams and coming into the 2nd tied or losing -- with the Habs' atrocious puck luck, that's bound to happen again -- and then losing the handle on the game. Have to keep at it.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
KingGallagherXI

The team wasn't "tight" at all tonight.

I thought Latendresse, Pacioretty and A. Kostitsyn were pretty damn bad.

KingGallagherXI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2009, 09:20 PM
Vinceee
Go Foreurs Go!

Send a message via MSN to Vinceee
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastRide View Post
Bob should pick up a few more slow footed defensemen. This way we can see more breakaways.
Hammer and Spacek were on the ice for that breakaway goal... nice try tough

Vinceee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2009, 09:21 PM
totalrecall

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysonlu View Post
I has mentionned in the other thread, we should suck and then pick a few superstars that will carry us to success for the next 15 years. The tried and true Penguins model.

Really, this is a ****ing joke: Mario Lemieux, Jagr, Malkin, Crosby, WTF? And the Lightning: Lecavalier, Richards, Stamkos, Hedman. **** hockey cities getting all the goods. Oh and did I mention Washington?
big facepalm for you

totalrecall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2009, 09:21 PM
odishabs

THE SECRET TO BEATING PRICE

"high glove"

odishabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2009, 09:23 PM
overlords
#BargainBanned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Meh. IMO blowouts are often just about meaningless when comparing teams, when they're like this when a game that was more or less evenly played for a while spirals out of control, or just goes out of control right off the start. Hockey's like that, it's really easy to pounce on three breakdowns and end up scoring 3 quick goals. With the Habs still in the growing pains stage and missing their best player, I wouldn't put too much meaning into this game. Works both ways, too -- one of these days the Habs will catch a team when their defense is off and pounce and blow them out without having to actually outplay them by a lot.

I'm actually reminded of a game the Habs won 4-0 against the Sens last year -- Higgins had a hat trick. I came away thinking that yeah, the Habs had been better, but not 4-0's worth of better. After two periods tonight, had the Pens *really* been 4-0's worth of better... or had they just pounced on bad breakdowns?

I'm also reminded of another game they played against Ottawa in 07-08, where the Habs had a number of early breakdowns, allowed 3 or 4 goals in the first 5 minutes, and lost something like 6-1, too. Didn't mean a whole lot then, either, and the Habs came back to win the next two games between the two -- one a spiral-out-of-control game where they led 7-1 after 2 (then mailed the third in), and one a truly dominating 3-0 shutout.

I dunno. I still like this team's potential better than any Habs team in recent years. Breakdowns are a lot more fixable than getting schooled on possession.

I am, however, worried by this tendancy of outplaying teams and coming into the 2nd tied or losing -- with the Habs' atrocious puck luck, that's bound to happen again -- and then losing the handle on the game. Have to keep at it.
i really like your posts and this one in particular felt like you were giving me a hug to make me feel better

overlords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
habfan1968

vCash: 400
Quote:
I has mentionned in the other thread, we should suck and then pick a few superstars that will carry us to success for the next 15 years. The tried and true Penguins model.

Really, this is a ****ing joke: Mario Lemieux, Jagr, Malkin, Crosby, WTF? And the Lightning: Lecavalier, Richards, Stamkos, Hedman. **** hockey cities getting all the goods. Oh and did I mention Washington?
Stop it already, as a habs fan you know that is never going to happen, never, ever ever. You can want it if you want but if that is what you truly want there are teams looking for fans in Phoenix, Tampa, etc.. We don't need you here.

habfan1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Nedved

Quote:
Originally Posted by odishabs View Post
THE SECRET TO BEATING PRICE

"high glove"
i thought it was just get the puck on net, or even near it.

Nedved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2009, 09:24 PM
Hab-a-maniac

Quote:

I hear ya but Pittsburgh is not a **** hockey market. Washington has been average and Tampa has been poor, only flocking to games to see a cup winner (I don't care what any Bolts fan says because very few other teams have a more fairweather fanbase). All those Hab superstars of the 40s to 70s and since then almost nothing. The league changed in the post-WHA days and not for the better as far as NHL original six teams are concerned. Have to share the wealth with **** hockey markets now. And it's not like MLB since the Habs are not in one of the richest markets and couldn't spend more than anyone else in a non-cap world like the Yankees do to keep their empire going. (Sigh) Most of us were born a few decades too late to see any regular Hab glory. Now we're sitting in the midst of the black years in an otherwise wildly successful franchise history.

Hab-a-maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2009, 09:25 PM
Aznrx8

Quote:

Dude you would be the one posting about how we suck all those years before getting any of those players. You would still whine if we tank so what's the point?

Aznrx8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
Amazing that even in a game where Halak gets pulled Price gets grief in the PGT.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
i really like your posts and this one in particular felt like you were giving me a hug to make me feel better
I don't want to pretend that being blown out is a good thing, and I am getting increasingly worried by how the Habs are getting badly outscored at evens.

But I hate things getting blown out of proportion, too.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2009, 09:26 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

maybe we can take out our frustration on Huet.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Maliki2

Ugh just got home from work, watched the DVR of the game. This is what I was afraid of, our D is just not good enough for the decent teams. And when our first line isn't scoring there isn't much else.

Maliki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Poulet Kostopoulos

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan1968 View Post
Stop it already, as a habs fan you know that is never going to happen, never, ever ever. You can want it if you want but if that is what you truly want there are teams looking for fans in Phoenix, Tampa, etc.. We don't need you here.
Why so serious? It's just hockey. Will you lose sleep tonight?

Poulet Kostopoulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2009, 09:27 PM
Brisk-Illusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx81 View Post
1 Win in regulation in 12 games.
Bah expect another humiliation Friday.
It's actually 1 in 20 when you count in the end of last season.

Anyways, it doesn't really matter as does tonight's game; it was a collectively bad game against a far superior opponent. These kinds of games will happen to any team once in a while during an 82 game schedule.

On a side note, I wonder what causes Halak to be such a different goalie at home and away.

Brisk-Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2009, 09:28 PM
Corey

I'm discouraged. We'll see additional games in which the Little Three line dominates weak teams, but it won't mean a thing.

Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2009, 09:30 PM
zx81

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00ks View Post
Lol Idiotic comment.
How's that idiotic ?
Have you seen them play on the road this season ?
I expect Chicago to score at least 5.
Hawks 5 Habs 2

zx81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Poulet Kostopoulos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aznrx8 View Post
Dude you would be the one posting about how we suck all those years before getting any of those players. You would still whine if we tank so what's the point?
OK, I just realize some fans are sooo freaking serious about hockey and their team. For God sakes, relax. Are you people the ones out there in front of the Bell Center begging that the Habs to sign Kovy at all cost?

Of course, the Habs won't and shouldn't tank. Just to point out the ridiculous cases of the Pens, the Lightnings and some other teams.

Poulet Kostopoulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
m00ks

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanwuc View Post
: did you see the two goals?
Coming in cold amidst and onslaught, yeah it was expected. The game was lost at that point and Martin put him in to dust off some cobwebs.

m00ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Excellent contribution there bub.

Good to know I can't call out a player for playing poorly without be branded as part of X's brigade.
Hey, I was just mirroring your comment but for the Price homers.

Didn't exactly say you're a part of X's brigade.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2009, 09:31 PM
King Woodballs
**** HFJets

vCash: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanwuc View Post
: did you see the two goals?
yeah the first was a screem from three people and the second was on a break that could have been stopped
halak 3 **** goals and then crosby's dangle in front

but at the end of the day everyone stank goalies included

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote