HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Kings @ Sharks 10/28

Old
10-29-2009, 12:46 AM
Shellz

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by William H Bonney View Post
Every time you post I can't help but say in my head: "Are you for reals?"

It always gets me.

It makes me think of the Nelly song Ride with me

"But Nelly can we get tickets to the next show?"
Hell no (what's witchu?!) you for real?!

Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 12:47 AM
ru4reals

Quote:
Originally Posted by William H Bonney View Post
Every time you post I can't help but say in my head: "Are you for reals?"

It always gets me.
ONLY 4reals! That's the purpose!

ru4reals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
agentfouser
Playoffs?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN14 View Post
If we would have taken a point from the Sharks at the tank last year, everyone would have been stoked. It's a nice testament to how far the team has come that everyone is upset that we didn't take two.

THAT'S what a battle for first place in the division looks like, and I have no doubts we'll be seeing a lot more of those this season.
no doubt, but i can't be too upset with missing the second point because the game was so well played by both sides. i really can't remember a game as closely played as this, so the third point to me was basically a coin toss.

what's really encouraging is to watch the kings play such a good team to a standstill in their own barn, and in particular in that kind of low-scoring struggle. both teams were nearly flawless tonight.

agentfouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
no name

I don't know what Murray was thinking with his choices for the SO. Still I can't believe everyone went wide of Nabokov when he stoned everyone who tried it.

Also, Wayne Simmonds was terrible tonight. The guy litteraly turned the puck over every time he touched it. He's got to stop skating the puck into the boards. Stoll didn't have too many errors but he was invisable all night and couldn't but a faceoff win when we needed it.

Doughty, Johnson and Scuderi were great tonight. Frolov looked good out there but he might have held on to the puck a little too much. Smyth and Kopitar fed eachother a ton of scoring chances but Nabakov freaking stoned everyone tonight.

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
RAZZIE King
König von Schaben

Are they using a portable Slurpee machine or a Zamboni to smooth out that ice???

RAZZIE King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 12:48 AM
agentfouser
Playoffs?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
Like I said in the GDT, the Top 2 lines should not be touched.

When Williams returns slot him onto the Stoll line.

The Top 2 lines are really clicking out there. And Williams will add some scoring punch to the Stoll line.

Smyth-Kopitar-Simmonds
Frolov-Handzus-Brown
Purcell-Stoll-Williams
Ivanans-Richardson-Parse (obv he will never bench Ivanans)

I really like those lines.
parse might set up raitis for a few goals, that would be sweet.

Old
10-29-2009, 12:49 AM
ru4reals

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentfouser View Post
no doubt, but i can't be too upset with missing the second point because the game was so well played by both sides. i really can't remember a game as closely played as this, so the third point to me was basically a coin toss.

what's really encouraging is to watch the kings play such a good team to a standstill in their own barn, and in particular in that kind of low-scoring struggle. both teams were nearly flawless tonight.
Serious there was like only what 2 penalties per team, man that's almost unheard of.

ru4reals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 12:55 AM
Brad Doty
Compliance Hero

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4reals View Post
Serious there was like only what 2 penalties per team, man that's almost unheard of.
Haha yeah, they really swallowed the whistles. There was a moment when Blake leglocked Kopi and then Nabby tried to steal his stick, and the ref just looked at Kopi and shook his head

Brad Doty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 01:00 AM
Zad
HFB Partner

For those complaining about Frolov not being in the shootout, if the rules allowed a couple of Sharks defensemen on his back and a forward trying to take the puck away from him, Frolov would lead the league in shootout goals. They don't. That's why he wasn't in there.

As far as Smyth not in the shootout...not sure...

That Kopitar shank move I have done once or twice. The word "****" often follows it.

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 01:15 AM
wabwat

Send a message via AIM to wabwat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
For those complaining about Frolov not being in the shootout, if the rules allowed a couple of Sharks defensemen on his back and a forward trying to take the puck away from him, Frolov would lead the league in shootout goals. They don't. That's why he wasn't in there.

As far as Smyth not in the shootout...not sure...

That Kopitar shank move I have done once or twice. The word "****" often follows it.
and the rules don't allow for Smyth to joust with someone at the net while someone takes a shot.

Kopitar's shank move and Brown's fumble bumble have them both along with Frolov hovering around 40% in shootouts.

wabwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 01:17 AM
bland

Smyth would be right behind Greene, just in front of O'Donnell in my shoot out lineup. Dude couldn't break an egg from more than 5 feet out.

I'm pretty sure that the line-up was shot, not deke, oriented because Nabokov is more likely to be beat by clean shots than dipsy doodles. Oh well, its a bonus point.

I know I catch hell for calling Brown out so much, but Dustin was just awful in that second period - most of San Jose momentum came off of bad Brown decisions, and the Kings lost control of a game they were pretty much dominating.

Brown turned it over twice just inside the attacking blueline, trying to make pointless 1-on-3 moves while his mates were changing. His one on one moves just kill momentum. Why he hasn't learned to just consistently take the puck wide and grind it out is beyond me - you'd think watching Smyth might rub off on him at some point. He has the wheels and the strength for that type game, but he just won't do it.

bland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 01:27 AM
agentfouser
Playoffs?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabwat View Post
and the rules don't allow for Smyth to joust with someone at the net while someone takes a shot.

Kopitar's shank move and Brown's fumble bumble have them both along with Frolov hovering around 40% in shootouts.
you guys notice that heatley was like 15%? i really expected it to be a lot better than that.

Old
10-29-2009, 01:49 AM
The VEGASKING
#1 fan

Send a message via AIM to The VEGASKING Send a message via Yahoo to The VEGASKING
McLellan using a 50% shooter in Clowe sixth left me shaking my head, too. Luckily Pavelski was out because he's deadly as well.

The VEGASKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 02:00 AM
wabwat

Send a message via AIM to wabwat
Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGASKING View Post
McLellan using a 50% shooter in Clowe sixth left me shaking my head, too. Luckily Pavelski was out because he's deadly as well.
apparently though, Clowe has been lousier than lousy this season.

wabwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 02:01 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by bland View Post
Smyth would be right behind Greene, just in front of O'Donnell in my shoot out lineup. Dude couldn't break an egg from more than 5 feet out.

I'm pretty sure that the line-up was shot, not deke, oriented because Nabokov is more likely to be beat by clean shots than dipsy doodles. Oh well, its a bonus point.

I know I catch hell for calling Brown out so much, but Dustin was just awful in that second period - most of San Jose momentum came off of bad Brown decisions, and the Kings lost control of a game they were pretty much dominating.

Brown turned it over twice just inside the attacking blueline, trying to make pointless 1-on-3 moves while his mates were changing. His one on one moves just kill momentum. Why he hasn't learned to just consistently take the puck wide and grind it out is beyond me - you'd think watching Smyth might rub off on him at some point. He has the wheels and the strength for that type game, but he just won't do it.
I wouldn't put him that far down...

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 02:06 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLang View Post
Don't really care about the SO loss....getting the point in their barn was good.

But please....three Kings completely missing the net in the shootout? Kinda silly...
Well, that is Murray's fault don't 'ya know?

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 02:20 AM
123slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sane Voice View Post
To say that Terry Murray's choice of SO shooters decided the game is retarded. You might not agree with his choices, but to say that shows not knowing basic SO scoring probabilities. Even if Frolov would have been the SO scorer in the league, it would still mean around 5% higher chance to win. And Frolov is not one of the best SO scorers.

So please stop with this OMFGZ - TM and a pick crap. Thanks.

123slam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 02:20 AM
Puck U
2012 SC CHAMPIONS !

Quote:
Originally Posted by frolovfan View Post
Have any of you seen Frolov on a break away? He is horrible. Not sure why everyone is upset about him not being given the shot.
Me thinks you need to refresh your memory a bit ?

Puck U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 02:27 AM
backhander

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
Well, credit the Sharks. The Kings didn't give it away, but they could have had it. Quick gave them every chance. Good game. Very grinding 3rd period.

Nabby won that game all the way with his huge first period. If he is even just good in that 1st, Kings go into the dressing room with a 2 or 3 goal lead. But, the reverse happened in the second.

I know Murray has called out Frolov's poor shootout record (counting breakways) before, but not using him in a game where he is clearly hungry is silly.

Since you can't one-time the puck in the SO, Stoll should be a last resort.
come on frolov or smythe before stoll...i hate losing to the sharks almost as bad as the ducks...well the ducks waaaayyy more

backhander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 02:28 AM
Sane Voice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
I wouldn't put him that far down...
Well, he was probably just exaggerating to prove his point. After all, Smyth has 21% SO deciding stat. Meaning that when he attempts one, 20-21% of the attempts result in the deciding goal. There are players that don't even score 20% of the attempts, let alone having stat that says "There is 20% chance that I will win the game"

Sane Voice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 02:46 AM
Carbonneau 21

i'm pretty sure i disagree with how the SO was managed on the kings end....frolov and even doughty should have had the chance before guys like handzus, brown, simmonds and stoll...

and yet, to say that TM doesnt know how to coach becuase of the SO means that you completely ignored the entire game. this young kings team played a solid all around game, and was in no way outplayed by the team most consider the best in the tough western conference. the style of this game also showed that this wasnt a fluke 6-5, 5-4 type of game, but this was a hard-fought battle, in which the kings more than stood their ground, showing that they may already be at the stage where they can play with anyone in the league.

Carbonneau 21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 03:53 AM
DapperDan
Bad Thoughts

The problem in the shootout as far as I see it was the fact that most of the players didn't go by the KISS principle. KEEP IT SIMPLE, STUPID. Handzus had a nice wrister and scored. He gets it. I'd rather be impressed with a solid victory than fancy puck handling in the shootout. Yeah, throw out the complex maneuver once in a while but if you see your teammates failing that way, change it up with a quick, well-placed shot. It's not rocket science, folks.

DapperDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 09:38 AM
Defgarden

Sharks did a decent job of containing the first line. They didn't keep them out of the game, but they did a good job of keeping the first lines chances down to a minimum. Same with the Kings, they didn't shut down their first line, but did a reasonably good job of keeping their chances low. Both teams played a good game, and the luckier team came out on top. Both goalies played extremely well.

Also, did that first period go extremely slowly? I know there weren't many penalties, but it seems like they had a ton of whitsles and play stoppages, or maybe I was just buzzin' it.

Defgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 09:50 AM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
Quote:
Originally Posted by frolovfan View Post
Have any of you seen Frolov on a break away? He is horrible. Not sure why everyone is upset about him not being given the shot.
THANK YOU.

I can't stop laughing reading all the posts about why Frolov wasn't out on the SO and blah blah blah. Quite frankly I don't EVER want to see Brown OR Frolov on the SO.

I get what JDM is saying in regards to Frolov having something to prove but to think that we would of won IF Frolov was in the SO is such a waste of time and energy. We're not going to win every game and we should be satisfied that we got the point in the Shark Tank.

Cutty Sarkn3ss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 10:06 AM
Knight of the Realm
Champs Again!

Glad the Sharks were without Setoguchie and Pasmellski last night. Knew we were not going to win the shootout but I am happy to take away a point.

Knight of the Realm is offline   Reply With Quote