HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game 10 | Detroit Red Wings @ Vancouver Canucks | 10:00 PM EST | FS-D |

Old
10-28-2009, 01:09 PM
jacK

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
It's good to finally get a win last night. And everyone's already covered everyone who looked good. One thing: was I the only one who thought the only line that looked like it knew what it was doing in its own zone was ZDWhoever with Draper-Maltby-May being a close second? I think it's clear that the middle two lines, with the kids and new guys, are still working out a lot of kinks.
ZDH was excellent, but the Cleary-Flip-Bert line showed flashes (even if Ozzie made sure they were -2 on the night); i think that'll be a very good line going forward if Babs sticks w/ it, and Bert pots one to break out.

and Drapes didn't center Malts & May, he was between Leino & JWill on the '3rd' line (which was as bad on the ice as it is on paper.) Kris Draper, 3rd line center =
the Gator-May-Malts line was a very physical line, but i'd like to see Abs back in GR so we stop having to sit 2-3 guys a night; 7 minutes of ice time w/ the big boys isn't cutting it.

ZDH
Cleary-Flip-Bert
Eaves - Helm - JWill
Malts - Drapes - May
sub Leino back in when he's done w/ the dunce cap (if anybody needs a message sent, it's this guy), but flipping guys in and out like Babs is doing is just obnoxious.

jacK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2009, 01:19 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacK View Post
ZDH was excellent, but the Cleary-Flip-Bert line showed flashes (even if Ozzie made sure they were -2 on the night); i think that'll be a very good line going forward if Babs sticks w/ it, and Bert pots one to break out.

and Drapes didn't center Malts & May, he was between Leino & JWill on the '3rd' line (which was as bad on the ice as it is on paper.) Kris Draper, 3rd line center =
the Gator-May-Malts line was a very physical line, but i'd like to see Abs back in GR so we stop having to sit 2-3 guys a night; 7 minutes of ice time w/ the big boys isn't cutting it.

ZDH
Cleary-Flip-Bert
Eaves - Helm - JWill
Malts - Drapes - May
sub Leino back in when he's done w/ the dunce cap (if anybody needs a message sent, it's this guy), but flipping guys in and out like Babs is doing is just obnoxious.
I'm a big Flip fan and am hoping you're right. They have the look of a line that's almost there. It's great to see ZDH get it going again. Honestly, I had a hard time keeping the third and fourth line straight last night.

I think it was one of Mirtle's posts that had a quote from Babcock about Helm. It wasn't positive-something along the lines of "he should be contending for the third line center not fighting for the fourth line center." I wonder if a reason Gator's still up is because Helm just hasn't gotten his game going.

Winger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2009, 01:27 PM
xtr3m

Looks like Luongo was hurt in the second period. No details yet, but it's probably his arm.

Just thought you might want to know.

xtr3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2009, 01:37 PM
zetterberg40

Send a message via AIM to zetterberg40
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOPGUN View Post
He will. Babcock already confirmed it.
tremendous news. We need to get a goalie going and with this confidence booster from last night he might just take this spot and do some damage to other teams. Once his confidence gets up there and his rebound control progresses then we might have solid goalie. Ozzie has no one to blame but himself over the past few starts. Maybe this will be a good wake-up call to him now.

our team still looks like shiyza but a win is a win. maybe pavel is finally going to get it going now and with that, hopefully hank is right there with him.

zetterberg40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2009, 01:38 PM
jacK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
I'm a big Flip fan and am hoping you're right. They have the look of a line that's almost there. It's great to see ZDH get it going again. Honestly, I had a hard time keeping the third and fourth line straight last night.

I think it was one of Mirtle's posts that had a quote from Babcock about Helm. It wasn't positive-something along the lines of "he should be contending for the third line center not fighting for the fourth line center." I wonder if a reason Gator's still up is because Helm just hasn't gotten his game going.
if Gator's earned it, then let him stay and send Helm down, but shuffling 5 different guys in and out of 3 lineup spots every other night is unnecessary (unless he really wants the bottom 6 rested for the playoff drive...)

edit: found the article you're talking about, and it's exactly what i was worried about coming into this season w/ Helm doing what he's done for us the last 2 playoffs, over the course of 82 regular season games:
Quote:
"The emotion isn't going to be quite as high as in playoffs, and that's what drives me a lot, is that emotion,"

Old
10-28-2009, 01:47 PM
jacK

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtr3m View Post
Looks like Luongo was hurt in the second period. No details yet, but it's probably his arm.

Just thought you might want to know.
probably when Edler pushed Bert into Louie? looked like it may have hyper-extended his arm against post...

Old
10-28-2009, 02:02 PM
ashenhigh

I for one think Eaves really needs a chance to play offense. Getting looks while playing with Draper and Maltby will always have a negative effect.

But I agree with you guys in saying Babs needs to stop rotating the 11th and 12th forwards every game.

ashenhigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2009, 02:20 PM
14ari13

I think we had some unlucky bounces and we ran into a hot team with a hot goalie in the Avs. We also lost the 2 games to the Blues and we should have won at least 1.
Hopefully Datsyuk and Z get it going and then this team should be winning.
It's good that Howard got a win. I do not think I would blame him for either goal.
I also think it was a very smart penalty to take by Lebda when he pushed the goal.
We just have to win some games.

14ari13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2009, 02:24 PM
sarcastro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashenhigh View Post
I for one think Eaves really needs a chance to play offense. Getting looks while playing with Draper and Maltby will always have a negative effect.

But I agree with you guys in saying Babs needs to stop rotating the 11th and 12th forwards every game.
They didn't sign him to play offense though, they signed him to be a checker/PKer/warm body on the 4th line.

They're going to rotate through that slot until there are 12 guys stepping up and playing too well for Babs to take out. That was the message behind the Helm thing, I think - just because you're one of the 12 best forwards doesn't mean you're playing like one of the 12 best forwards.

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2009, 02:55 PM
Yemack

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkReign View Post
I am a little surprised that some of you are semi-critical of that PP goal by Schneider. I mean, it isnt like we as Wings fans didnt get to see Schneider do his thing for years here. He has a wicked slapshot that is accurate as hell. If you watched that play again, taking note of its speed and accuracy, you wouldnt fault Howard at all.

If Howard makes that save, its a friggin awesome save (another awesome save in a game full of them for him). He didnt, no biggie.
It's not that I absolutely hate our pk system. People say alot of things during the game and I just happen to kinda overshoot it a bit.

IMO as a penalty killer, it is important that you need to put pressure to the pp team and force them to make hasty decisions. Surely you don't want to run around and leave the gap open but there is no such thing as a 'perfect coverage'. People will find a way to beat you and your system if given time. Why not let other team beat themselves a bit by putting a bit of pressure to the puck carrier? that's all im saying

Yemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2009, 03:19 PM
Ratty61

Kronner Goal vs. Canucks

No assist to Zetterberg on that play?

Ratty61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2009, 03:28 PM
GuloGulo

Willie Mitchell had possession in between, which nullified Z's assist

GuloGulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2009, 03:30 PM
Ratty61

No he didnt, I watched the replay 20x...

Old
10-28-2009, 04:00 PM
zetterberg40

Send a message via AIM to zetterberg40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratty61 View Post
No he didnt, I watched the replay 20x...
the puck came off hanks stick and the defenseman hit it towards kronwall.. i dont think it was a pass.. from the looks of it hank lost control and the dman just hit it right to kronner.

zetterberg40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2009, 04:12 PM
Ratty61

That sucks. I've seen them be generous in those cases sometimes. (they meaning the staticians)

Old
10-28-2009, 04:20 PM
Nordic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratty61 View Post
That sucks. I've seen them be generous in those cases sometimes. (they meaning the staticians)
Crosby & THornton would've gotten a secondary assist, no problem

Nordic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2009, 06:09 PM
FissionFire

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkReign View Post
Pulling Oz was obviously the right move and Howard filled in admirably.

If this game woke Datsyuk up, this team will be fine. Now Z needs to get going at the same time and this ship will sail.

I am a little surprised that some of you are semi-critical of that PP goal by Schneider. I mean, it isnt like we as Wings fans didnt get to see Schneider do his thing for years here. He has a wicked slapshot that is accurate as hell. If you watched that play again, taking note of its speed and accuracy, you wouldnt fault Howard at all.

If Howard makes that save, its a friggin awesome save (another awesome save in a game full of them for him). He didnt, no biggie.
Schneider accurate? His nickname was "High & Wide" since 75% of his slap shots were exactly that and bounded around the boards out of the zone. Samuelsson effectively filled in the role of "Guy who misses the net regularly" on the PP point when Schneider left. Schneider has a HARD shot but it's not very accurate. He always shoots for corners and the few times he's actually on target he scores. The vast majority of the time he just whiffs the net, hence his retardedly high amount of missed shots. Consider this: He's played two games this year and already he's had 4 shots missed and 1 blocked with only 2 on net. So he's attempted 7 shots and only gotten it on net twice. You call that "accurate as hell"??

EDIT: More fun! Note that shot attempts that were blocked are not included so his % missed number will actually be higher.
2005-06: 312 shots attempted, 124 shots missed (39.7% missed)
2006-07: 285 shots attempted, 101 shots missed (35.4% missed)
2007-08: 220 shots attempted, 81 shots missed (36.8% missed)
2008-09: 128 shots attempted, 72 shots missed (36.0% missed)

Do you really consider missing the net entirely over one-third of the time "accurate as hell" you really need to raise your standards.

Last edited by FissionFire: 10-28-2009 at 06:30 PM.
FissionFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2009, 06:18 PM
SirKillalot

And maybe that was the point with the shot? Either right in or in the boards and out to some surprising chances? I like Schneider. To bad he went.

So, Jason Williams. 7 points in 10 games huh. Adopting to Samulsson well, how many without a point now then?

I actually like him, but that's problably because playing too much NHL(03?) with Williams and Draper on the PK.

SirKillalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2009, 08:40 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

This looks like a job for Captain Bob. So I'll settle this debate.

Captain Bob rules that Howard should have made the save. True, Schneider has a hard shot. It's also true that he was a good 25 feet in from the blueline. Still, the shot wasn't even really all that well placed. It was a good six inches away from the iron. So Howard, being the big guy that he is, didn't position himself very well on the shot.

If you have any hockey questions, send them to CaptainBobAnswersYourHockeyQuestions@gmail.com.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2009, 09:37 PM
Schroedingers Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post
Crosby would've gotten a secondary assist if he was in the same arena buying a hot dog as they would've ruled he created a breeze that directly affected the puck as it was passed.

Schroedingers Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2009, 10:17 PM
Franzenstein

Send a message via AIM to Franzenstein
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post
how dare you desecrate our GDT with his name?(just expressing my hate)

Franzenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 07:30 AM
redwings85
In Ozzie I trust.

Apparently lulongo had a hairline fracture on the ribs from the Toronto game on Saturday was in the paper this morning

redwings85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 09:05 AM
sarcastro

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwings85 View Post
Apparently lulongo had a hairline fracture on the ribs from the Toronto game on Saturday was in the paper this morning
I'm not surprised, after seeing how his defensemen shove opposing forwards on top of him all game. I know you might force the other team into some interference penalties and the occasional waived goal that way, but, uh, isn't it sorta DANGEROUS?

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote