HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Randy Jones (claimed by L.A. Kings)

Closed Thread

Old
10-29-2009, 12:26 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStevensDotCom View Post
under 300k when Gagne gets back.

who are you going to get for that? even if they waive Cote(who isnt a NHL player anyway) they would have what 800k?
awesome.
Holly Cote?

Old
10-29-2009, 12:27 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5700
i should have known. The kings have been all about getting something for nothing
Posted via Mobile Device

Old
10-29-2009, 12:27 PM
Murphy7
Drop the puck

I'm watching the Kings and Sharks from last night right now (It's 1-1 after 2). Quick will not be dealt. Ersberg though, he's another story.
So, who else? The Kings seem to have plenty of defensemen. Doughty, Scuderi and Greene are going nowhere. Has Johnson been asking to move again? (I don't know)There's no way the Flyers can afford Handzus without offering a major package.
Having Jones in the organization wasn't painful. Having him in another organization and count against the Flyers' cap is very painful. There better be a doozy waiting behind this one. There just has to be.

Old
10-29-2009, 12:28 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
i should have known. The kings have been all about getting something for nothing
Posted via Mobile Device
I thought about them...it made some amount of sense with Murray, Lombardi, and Hextall out there.

Old
10-29-2009, 12:29 PM
Wolfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNet View Post
So . . . when is Homer going to make an announcement on all this? I haven't seen any quotes yet. I'm interested to hear his answers when someone asks him "Why?"
He's in Snider's office, to get fired. Then he'll disappear using the back door.

Old
10-29-2009, 12:31 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1431
From Tim P.:

http://www.csnphilly.com/pages/landi...810&feedID=695

Quote:
In other words, the Flyers just took a $1.375 million cap hit for a player they lost on re-entry.

Financially, it was a huge gamble and the Flyers lost.

“He would have helped our team but that’s the risk you take,” general manager Paul Holmgren said. “What are you going to do? … Those are the rules. We knew the risks going in.”

Holmgren said a couple clubs asked about him recently, but no one asked the Flyers to put him on re-entry so he could be claimed.

Flyers coach John Stevens had talked earlier in the morning about using Jones this weekend in the lineup against Carolina. That won’t happen, now. He’s a King.

Jones won’t be a stranger in Los Angeles. He will join head coach Terry Murray, who was his defensive coach here in Philadelphia as an assistant under both Stevens and Ken Hitchcock.

The 6-foot-2, 220-pound Jones was entering his sixth season as a Flyer. He appeared in 217 games (no including 22 in the playoffs), notching 13 goals, 56 assists for 69 points. He was on the final year of a two-year, $5.5 million contract.

With the 28-year-old Jones leaving and Simon Gagne going on long-term injury, the Flyers’ salary cap now stands at $50.9 million.

Even without Jones, a defensive change is coming. Stevens will re-unite Ryan Parent with Kimmo Timonen, breaking up the Timonen-Braydon Coburn pair that has had a terrible start of the season. Timonen is -10 and Coburn is -9.

“They may get some playing time together,” Stevens said. “That pair is having a little bit of trouble there and sometimes if you switch it up a bit, give Ryan some time there, it was a good pairing last year. We could see a mixture of pairs as we move through the hockey game.”

Old
10-29-2009, 12:31 PM
ToTheNet

Send a message via AIM to ToTheNet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy View Post
He's in Snider's office, to get fired. Then he'll disappear using the back door.
i'd accept that.

Old
10-29-2009, 12:33 PM
ToTheNet

Oh awesome, Stevens talking about switching up the defensive pairings during the game now . . . as if mixing up the offense every game wasn't enough.

Old
10-29-2009, 12:34 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Quote:
“He would have helped our team but that’s the risk you take,” general manager Paul Holmgren said. “What are you going to do? … Those are the rules. We knew the risks going in.”
Maybe not put him on reentry waivers?

Old
10-29-2009, 12:35 PM
Jester

Quote:
Quote:
In other words, the Flyers just took a $1.375 million cap hit for a player they lost on re-entry.

Financially, it was a huge gamble and the Flyers lost.
Probably something worth commenting on if you are, ya know, actually a reporter. How much of a gamble this was.

Quote:
Not call him up you moron. That's what.

Quote:
Holmgren said a couple clubs asked about him recently, but no one asked the Flyers to put him on re-entry so he could be claimed.
This is the most damning thing. So, what Holmgren is saying is that teams had asked him about Randy Jones--presumably expressing interest in him--after which he put him on waivers, at which point Jones' salary would be halved and they could get him without giving up anything.

Why on earth would he think he might make it through waivers if he'd had such conversations with other teams?

Whiskey.
Tango.
Foxtrot.

Old
10-29-2009, 12:41 PM
Wolfy

Quote:
The 6-foot-2, 220-pound Jones was entering his sixth season as a Flyer. He appeared in 217 games (no including 22 in the playoffs), notching 13 goals, 56 assists for 69 points. He was on the final year of a two-year, $5.5 million contract.
wow...that's not bad for a defenseman, great size too. Why do you say he sucks? I havent seen him play, so I'm just asking.

Old
10-29-2009, 12:41 PM
Nuclear

So what happens when Gagne comes back and his salary isn't wiped off because of the IR? How's the cap situation? Do we need to make a move once he gets back? This is Grioux 2.0

Old
10-29-2009, 12:42 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I thought about them...it made some amount of sense with Murray, Lombardi, and Hextall out there.
they also had a legit need for a vet d-man. Alec martinez needs more time in the minors it seems
Posted via Mobile Device

Old
ToTheNet

Quote:
wow...that's not bad for a defenseman, great size too. Why do you say he sucks? I havent seen him play, so I'm just asking.
where to even start. . .

Old
Jester

Quote:
Because he sucks.

He's also a points vulture.

Old
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
That dumb mother****er. Teams were asking about him and THEN you put him on re-entry?

Here's a ****ing clue, *********: When teams ask about a player, that means that they are interested. And interested teams will generally love to have a player at half-price on an expiring contract.

You filthy ****ing ****. Your mother sucks ***** in Hell.

Old
10-29-2009, 12:44 PM
DUHockey9

Ughh I'm so angry right now.

I really cannot understand what made Holmgren do this. I'm hoping there is something I'm overlooking...but I can't imagine there being some eventual benefit to this.

Old
10-29-2009, 12:45 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
Ughh I'm so angry right now.

I really cannot understand what made Holmgren do this. I'm hoping there is something I'm overlooking...but I can't imagine there being some eventual benefit to this.
Those quotes are remarkably stupid...if there was something else you'd think he could at least not sound like an idiot while covering it.

Old
10-29-2009, 12:47 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Well I think Jones has the last laugh now sadly...

Old
10-29-2009, 12:47 PM
Mr Oysterhead

Quote:
He loves to fire shots into other players shins. He loves to trip over his own skates. He loves to blow assignments. He's not the worst defenseman in hockey but he'll make a lot of plays that make you wonder...

Old
10-29-2009, 12:50 PM
ToTheNet

Well I guess I got my quotes . . . just dumbfounding.

Old
10-29-2009, 12:53 PM
Terence Peterman

This is so discouraging. Like, I don't even want to watch the team anymore. I'm so ****ing tired of anything good coming about from the raw skill the players have.

Facepalm X1,000,000,000.

Old
10-29-2009, 12:54 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post
Yeah, I know...but it's enough to bring Gagne back. I was just answering the question.

Matt Zultek?
Jamie Fritsch?

Old
10-29-2009, 12:54 PM
Opus

vCash: 50
Quote:
Because he sucks.
C'mon, he doesn't 'suck'. Before he struggled with his injury all of last season...he was good defenseman. If you want to say he suck because you didn't like his salary -- blame the GM, not the player.

Earlier in the thread (or another thread), you admitted he's better than 2-6 we've had playing for us, which is true. Holmgren made an attempt to make the team better by bringing him in...and he got caught.

No need to take this out on Jones though, I don't fault him for his bad injuries, or for signing the contract. We all would, too.

Old
10-29-2009, 12:56 PM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Those quotes are remarkably stupid...if there was something else you'd think he could at least not sound like an idiot while covering it.
What quotes are you referring to, because I didn't see any? Just trying to figure out why you quoted me haha.

Closed Thread