HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings @ Sharks 10/28

Old
10-29-2009, 10:13 AM
agentfouser
Playoffs?!?!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defgarden View Post
Sharks did a decent job of containing the first line. They didn't keep them out of the game, but they did a good job of keeping the first lines chances down to a minimum. Same with the Kings, they didn't shut down their first line, but did a reasonably good job of keeping their chances low. Both teams played a good game, and the luckier team came out on top. Both goalies played extremely well.

Also, did that first period go extremely slowly? I know there weren't many penalties, but it seems like they had a ton of whitsles and play stoppages, or maybe I was just buzzin' it.
yeah, i thought both teams' defenses were really good at tying up sticks and blocking out in the middle of the ice. the kopitar line was able to bring the puck to the middle fairly frequently, but there weren't many second chances for them. likewise for the thornton line, though i think the kings d were generally able to contain them by blocking shots. heatley in particular really didn't get many good looks at all.

agentfouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 10:37 AM
ibleedkings
Is this real?

Kopi lead all Kings, with over 26 mins of Ice Time.

ibleedkings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 10:54 AM
SLang

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Well, that is Murray's fault don't 'ya know?
LOL....I choose to focus on the 65 minutes of actual play rather than the joke the NHL is playing on all of us called the "shootout".

Games like that, I basically consider ties.

Someone else mentioned Simmonds' semi-lackluster performance last night. I agree. He was just trying to do too much, instead of keeping it simple. They had a tight shot on Wayne and Ryan Smyth together after one of Wayne's less-than-great plays, and you could tell by the look on Smyth's face that he also felt Wayne could have been better.

SLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 11:22 AM
not tellin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGASKING View Post
McLellan using a 50% shooter in Clowe sixth left me shaking my head, too. Luckily Pavelski was out because he's deadly as well.
yeah luckily he was out otherwise we would have lost the shootout that we lost.

not tellin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 12:37 PM
Ollie Weeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLang View Post

Someone else mentioned Simmonds' semi-lackluster performance last night. I agree. He was just trying to do too much, instead of keeping it simple. They had a tight shot on Wayne and Ryan Smyth together after one of Wayne's less-than-great plays, and you could tell by the look on Smyth's face that he also felt Wayne could have been better.
That happened a couple of times last night. I was really frustrated with the number of times Simmonds carried the puck into the zone when Smyth and Kopi were out there.

Simmonds just doesn't have the offensive instincts to keep up with those two yet.

Ollie Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 12:41 PM
alpa
Yoda+Gandalf=Sutter

For all you besser-schmucks who think you are so smart..just kidding , but I did mention this earlier and now Hammond confirmed it .... so here you are.

Also, for those curious about the shootout lineup, it is generally chosen by virtue of those who perform well in shootout drills in practice. Coincidentally enough, the Kings had a shootout drill right before they left on this trip. Whether you think that’s a smart way to handle it or not, I think it’s fairly common for coaches. ( Rich Hammond)

You Schmart-pucks, right in your face

ops...sorry got carried away.

alpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 12:53 PM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN14 View Post
Haha yeah, they really swallowed the whistles. There was a moment when Blake leglocked Kopi and then Nabby tried to steal his stick, and the ref just looked at Kopi and shook his head
Why do I think it would be a penalty if a player knocked a goalie stick to the ice to keep the goalie from picking it up?

Never seen that before and still not sure why it wasn't a penalty on Nabby.

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 12:53 PM
JBernierFan
Drink up!

Frolov had a great game, Parse is playing himself onto a roster full time. IMO, he made a few great defensive plays and a couple moves in the offensive zone that made me perk up. He's more noticeable than Purcell (in a good way).

Kopi was getting double teamed all night. There was no room out there to do his thing. He's going to have to learn how to float around and get out of situations like that if he wants to continue his scoring prowess.

JBernierFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 12:58 PM
JBernierFan
Drink up!

Oh, and now that I've read a few people's comments in this thread (I wrote mine above before reading others so I could give my honest opinion), people who said Fro should have been a shooter in the SO are just whining to whin. Don't you remember Fro's moves in the shootout? He skates all the to the crease and tries to deke last minute only to run out of room and miss the net. One of the Kings fans on Twitter last night (sorry, I don't remember who) made a joke about Frolov in the shootout. It was something about 'If only the wrap around was allowed in the shootout'. So sad but true.

Old
10-29-2009, 01:22 PM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

Kings coulda won a bunch of times, but sucked on the shootout.

Honestly, i really have nothing contribute, i just wanted to post a link to this picture. Has anyone seen this? hahah, wat the hell is this!

KingPurpleDinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 01:24 PM
Shellz

Oh, wow.

Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 01:44 PM
Pucknut50

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBernierFan View Post
Oh, and now that I've read a few people's comments in this thread (I wrote mine above before reading others so I could give my honest opinion), people who said Fro should have been a shooter in the SO are just whining to whin. Don't you remember Fro's moves in the shootout? He skates all the to the crease and tries to deke last minute only to run out of room and miss the net. One of the Kings fans on Twitter last night (sorry, I don't remember who) made a joke about Frolov in the shootout. It was something about 'If only the wrap around was allowed in the shootout'. So sad but true.
Frolov is 8 for 21 career shootouts 38.1% thats above the ave of all shooters with more than 10 attempts and much higher than thes prolific scorers. Frolov is one of your best scorers use him.
Gaborik 1-13 8%
Heatley 4-26 15%
Malkin 5-25 20%
Ovechkin 12-40 30%

Pucknut50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 01:58 PM
RightKinger

I'm happy with one point but that second point was ours. We had like three chances to win it. Simmonds, Johnson and Kopitar all choked. Is anyone else loving this year's Handzus?

RightKinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 03:31 PM
RightKinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBernierFan View Post

Kopi was getting double teamed all night. There was no room out there to do his thing. He's going to have to learn how to float around and get out of situations like that if he wants to continue his scoring prowess.
Ya I thought the Sharks payed more attention to Kopi in this game than any other team we have played this season. There was one play in particular that stood out to me. Simmonds had the puck in the corner and the guy covering Kopi who would usually step out on Simmonds and leave Kopitar stayed with Kopitar and Simmonds was left wide open for a good 5-6 seconds. The Sharks forward was about to leave Kopi but one of the Sharks D yelled at him to him stay.

RightKinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 04:09 PM
wabwat

Send a message via AIM to wabwat
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightKinger View Post
Ya I thought the Sharks payed more attention to Kopi in this game than any other team we have played this season. There was one play in particular that stood out to me. Simmonds had the puck in the corner and the guy covering Kopi who would usually step out on Simmonds and leave Kopitar stayed with Kopitar and Simmonds was left wide open for a good 5-6 seconds. The Sharks forward was about to leave Kopi but one of the Sharks D yelled at him to him stay.

that play alone is part and parcel to the reason why those arguing that anyone, including Simmonds can not only play, but shine on that top line because they'd be carried by Smyth and Kopitar, are silly... that extra 5-6 seconds CAN result in a disaster for the opposition when someone with the talent and experience Justin Williams has is playing in that situation.

wabwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 04:16 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPurpleDinosaur View Post
Honestly, i really have nothing contribute, i just wanted to post a link to this picture. Has anyone seen this? hahah, wat the hell is this!

2 gone, 2 more to go. That's just inexcusable

(Simmer is staying!)

William H Bonney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 05:02 PM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPurpleDinosaur View Post
Kings coulda won a bunch of times, but sucked on the shootout.

Wow. . wtf. Quincey's face is pretty epic though. hahaha

Cutty Sarkn3ss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 05:07 PM
JBernierFan
Drink up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutty Sarkn3ss View Post
Wow. . wtf. Quincey's face is pretty epic though. hahaha
He looks like he's trying out for the part of Wolverine.

Old
10-29-2009, 05:16 PM
icandobetter

hey sharks fan here, I am impressed with Doughty's play. This kid is going be scary good. I want to see our full lineup againist yours. Top line is not the same without Setoguchi and shootout isn't the same without Pavelski. Quick played extremely well, and originally, I thought he is just a mediocre goalie.

icandobetter is offline   Reply With Quote