HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

"Cold" - 10.28.2009 - Nashville 4 at Minnesota 3 FINAL

Old
10-28-2009, 11:48 PM
predfan24

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
In the inexplicable land of Barry Trotz,

TOI leader tonight: Kevin Klein at 24:05.....

Suter with 22:13 and Weber with 21:22. Boullion at 20:49. Hamhuis at 19:46 and Franson at 12:24.

I don't understand it either my friends. Its stupid. Its unexplainable. Its Barry Trotz.

I understand not wanting to wear Suter and Weber out. But I don't understand why he couldn't have given 2 or 3 of Klein's minutes to Franson. Has Franson looked a little shaky in the d-zone? Sure but he isn't getting abused. He also has the best first pass out of the zone on the team. I was very impressed how quickly he transitioned from playing D with a man coming in on him with speed to making a good play, getting the puck, identifying the right pass and putting it on the tape quickly. He's also impressed me in the Offensive zone as well. Great vision for a D-man. Give him some of Klein's minutes!

Edit: Just saw Slake say Peterson runs the D. Interesting.

Last edited by predfan24: 10-28-2009 at 11:53 PM.
predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2009, 11:55 PM
Steelhead16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
I understand your point and agree to an extent. It is a fine line when it comes to yanking the netminder, but tonight was simply a night that the team needed a couple of saves they didn't get and the Preds needed a major momentum shift.

The Preds allowed 1 shot on goal the remainder of the period (17+ minutes) and I think did take it personally. One thing that has really been obvious throughout the struggles this season has been that the team is sticking together. There has been no finger pointing on this team and they are committed to pulling out of this funk as a team.

I guarantee you tonight though Elly would agree that he didn't play his best at the start of the second and the rest of the team would say the same. It's a process. And I definitely agree with you that it must start with cleaning up the defensive zone coverage.
I'm glad they are starting to show better signs lately.Hopefully it continues and they find the key. I've coached for a long time and the key seems to be in a different place every year.

Steelhead16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 03:39 AM
sparkle twin
Curse strikes again!

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
A Win!!

I liked that line of Sullivan, Legwand, Dumont. A real nice pass by Legwand to Dumont with *gasp* a backhand shot for a goal!

Smithson....where did he get the hands?

I don't understand the quick goals and in bunches. It's OK if the other team scores a goal, goals happen every game. But then it seems like they panic and give up another one or two.

I agree with pulling Ellis, those were just bad goals and he would have allowed more had he been left in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MemphisHockeyFan View Post
Damnit! As soon as I heard that we were on the PK, I got up to grab a soda. I come back and we've scored? Maybe I need to turn the game off all together.
I had the game off most of the time, every time it was turned off the Preds scored. At the end though I had it on but had my eyes closed, especially when they iced it with 12 seconds and then gave up that quick shot!

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 07:55 AM
David Singleton
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
1) Trotz doesn't change the defensemen, Peterson does...
Question SLake: are you basing that on your coaching experiences or have you discussed this with the staff or just observed this?

Regardless, can you provide a little further breakdown regarding the responsibilities of the coaching staff both during practices and during the games?

Thanks.

David Singleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 10:43 AM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

In my experience in playing high school hockey, we always had the assistant coach change the dmen.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 12:55 PM
jstreet

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joetimo View Post
4. Erat you gotta shoot the damn puck. The Minnesota announcers were like "wtf was he thinking! he should have shot that puck instead of trying to make a fancy play!".
in the third period a Wild dman coughed up the puck and the announcer actually said, "he lost the puck, fortunatly it went straight to Legwand"

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 12:57 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Hahaha

ThirdManIn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 12:59 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnlikestars View Post
in the third period a Wild dman coughed up the puck and the announcer actually said, "he lost the puck, fortunatly it went straight to Legwand"
they said unfortunately, actually...though yours is funnier.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 01:20 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Singleton View Post
Question SLake: are you basing that on your coaching experiences or have you discussed this with the staff or just observed this?

Regardless, can you provide a little further breakdown regarding the responsibilities of the coaching staff both during practices and during the games?

Thanks.
Combination of experience and observation.

During the game, Trotz is responsible for leading the entire team and managing the flow of the game. Trotz usually does change the forwards and Horachek is there to interact with the forwards on an individual and group basis throughout the game. Horachek also has the responsibility of running our power play efforts. Peterson coaches the defensemen. He changes the defensemen during the game and is responsible for working with them individually and as a group. Coach Peterson also runs our penalty-killing efforts as well.

I believe both Peterson and Horachek are in communication with Coach Bouchard running the video back in his office during games as well. Look for their ear pieces the next time you get a chance.

As for practices, it really is a group effort. The coaches all work together and lead different parts of practice. Horachek is always involved leading the power-play segment with Trotz right alongside and Peterson always works with defensemen individually after practice. Peterson also has the added responsibility of making sure anyone new to the team (call-ups, trades, etc) are up to speed on our team systems and strategies.

Hope that answers a few of your questions...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 02:06 PM
lstcyr

There was a point in the game where Havlat had the puck coming hard into our zone and there was Bouillon standing up to him and keeping him occupied. Made me appreciate what we did when we picked him up. Anyone else remember that?

lstcyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 02:10 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by lstcyr View Post
There was a point in the game where Havlat had the puck coming hard into our zone and there was Bouillon standing up to him and keeping him occupied. Made me appreciate what we did when we picked him up. Anyone else remember that?
Yeah, he played that perfectly last night taking the body and forgetting about the puck - which simply trickled to Rinne for the save. Ward had the same situation a few minutes later and went surfing for the puck, was beat, and thankfully Pekka jumped out to snatch the puck away from Havlat...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 03:15 PM
jstreet

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
they said unfortunately, actually...though yours is funnier.
are you sure? maybe I was hearing what I wanted to hear, but man it made me laugh regardless.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 03:59 PM
braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by lstcyr View Post

They should show that film clip to our young D at least 100 times. Perfectly played on a guy that normally beats us like a mule year after year with the same moves.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote