HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who's tough enough to stick it out?

Old
10-29-2009, 12:04 PM
Mr Whipple
Charmin Soft

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaniacFromAppState View Post
Also I'm a dolphins fan who wore a phin jersey every sunday during the 1-15 season. So this aint nothing.
I'm a Browns fan. And an Indians fan (going back to the 80's, pre-Major League movies). And Cavs pre-Lebron. 'Nough said.

These are the times that die hards like us profit the most. Major ticket discounts and giveaways, and team merchandise for cheap. I'm looking to take advantage of that as they become available.

I may not post all the time (right now, job-related, but will be around more after Election Day next week), but I'm always around lurking at least.

My name is PC, and I am a Caniac.

Mr Whipple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 12:16 PM
JustJoe2k5
Semin - Coach Killer

I'll stick it out. I've wanted this team to rebuild for the past three offseasons, so I won't back out now that it actually seems like it quite possibly could maybe happen in another year or two.

JustJoe2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 12:38 PM
Caniac4ever
Gleason 4 Norris

vCash: 1028
Count me in. I will try and watch every game the boys play even if they don't win another game this season. I'll stick by em no matter what happens. The only thing I will change is I'll probably take in a few less games. Yes, I know that sounds lame, but when I can barely afford it and have to drive two and a half hours just to get there I want to see a team effort at least. But anyways, it'd take a lot more than this to drive me away from my team.

Caniac4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 12:41 PM
Canes4me

I am true to my friends and my teams. Hey, being a life long Redskins and Orioles fan I am used to slumps. Sometimes decades long...

I will not get worried about the season until around game 20-25. Let's see where we are then...

Canes4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 12:52 PM
karparules

I'm in all the way. I've been a Canes fan since the first game in Greensboro and I will never give up on them, no matter how frustrating they are right now! I'm not going to as many home games this season as I usually do, but that has nothing to do with the team's play; I got laid off a few weeks ago and it just isn't in the cards right now.
You still never know what will come of this season, but as others have said, at least we have some youngsters in the pipeline that can give us some hope for the future. If we're still sucking in the spring, I'm sure we'll be trading some of our upcoming UFAs away and should have a nice crop of draft picks next summer. Out of all the guys turning UFA, the one that I sincerely hope we re-sign is Ray Whitney. He seems to be one of our only guys who is really channeling his frustrations in a positive way. Whenever we get scored on, Ray is out there busting his tail the rest of the game and playing with a lot of grit. Ray rules.

Anyway, go CANES!!!!

karparules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 12:55 PM
bleedgreen

um, hello....whalers fan.....

this is nothing comparison. survive a season where your top players, two of which are underage get thrown in jail for fighting in a bar while your gm gets thrown in jail then betty ford rehab for being an alcoholic drunk driver who gets arrested when he cant find his own driveway.....during the season....while being coached by friggin pierre mcguire who nylander to the minors cause he wasnt "good enough" - who puts up a six point ahl game and demands and gets a trade...made by the alcoholic gm right before getting arrested. mcguire also compared himself to bowman after "out coaching" him in a tie that was the highlight of the season.

this is a cakewalk. im in.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 01:30 PM
caniac247

I'm a glutton for punishment so of course I'm in. I survived 02-03 and 03-04, I can survive another. If this is the wake up call that JR needs to show that its time to clear out the old and bring in the young, then its a sacrifice I'm willing to make. Too many kids in Albany are ready to be here. Its their shot. With all the contracts coming off the books, I would hate to make the playoffs, and JR go and re-sign everyone again. I'm willing to sit through a sucky season to bring in some young blood.

Shoot I'm already looking forward to this weekend.

caniac247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 02:17 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
I'm curious to see if any more moves are made by JR come the end of this weekend if we go 0-2. I can't see us beating Philly or San Jose. If we do lose both, we will be at the point of losing 9 in a row.

Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 02:19 PM
Canes4me

I am true to my friends and my teams. Hey, being a life long Redskins and Orioles fan I am used to slumps. Sometimes decades long...

I will not get worried about the season until around game 20-25. Let's see where we are then...

Canes4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 02:48 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

I'll stick around, but it'll be similar to the situation I have with the Carolina Panthers right now. With the Panthers, as long as Delhomme's getting the majority of the playcalls, I won't watch them.

I'll watch the Canes play, but I really think it's time to put some heat on JR. I wasn't happy with how the offseason played out in the first place, and the poor play from the team certainly isn't making me any happier. It hasn't reached the point where Old Yeller needs to be put down, but he's out in the pasture and the gun's cocked.

Blueline Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 03:07 PM
dmonk
doughberle

Send a message via ICQ to dmonk
Maybe now Florida Panthers fans won't hate us so much

dmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 04:02 PM
Skydog

I'll always be there. Of course we should have all predicted a bad season. Has a professional NC team ever followed a good season with another good one? See Panthers.

Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 04:21 PM
caniacgirl12

Send a message via AIM to caniacgirl12 Send a message via MSN to caniacgirl12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
I couldn't leave if I wanted to. I have a compulsion known as Carolina Hurricanes hockey. Any err from that is either wishful thinking or temporary lunacy.

Anybody that adorns the badge of 02-03 and 03-04 ... PLUS the lockout season.... yeah I really don't see anybody that endured all that leaving.
Can't quit now - not when we've been through far worse.

I remember cheering in 03-04 at a game and it echoing.

10-29-2009, 04:38 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Well if we continue to suck this badly I think most of my attention with turn to the River Rats and 2010 draft prospects, but the Canes will always be my team.

Like someone else said if you're a Panthers fan, it's easy to get used to sucking after a good season.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 04:53 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Plus, I said prior to Game 7 of the SCF in '06 that I didn't care if we sucked for 5 years after that game, provided we won it. Well, I didn't really intend for that to be literal but it seems that we may, with the '09 playoffs being the outlier.

Vagrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 04:55 PM
Chrispy

Can't say I was frequenting games in 02-03 and 03-04 (although I was watching), but having sat through Wake Forest football for many years, I'm familiar with sticking it out. At least in pro sports, a poor season actually gets you something more than a Steely Dan song.

However, I'd be more interested in a youth movement than a continually underperforming roster. It's enjoyable to watch the prospects develop before your eyes, even if they make mistakes leading to losses. Watching players you've seen perform better in the past make similar mistakes? Not so much fun.

Last edited by Chrispy: 10-29-2009 at 05:15 PM.
Chrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 05:04 PM
WalkerBabe

I will always be a 'Canes supporter through thick and thin. I may feel queasy and WEEP a lot ... get furious and grit my teeth ... but they're my team. (Their performance will affect my attendance at games, however. I literally can't stand to see them continually awful. )

WalkerBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 07:02 PM
WoodGundy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
Plus, I said prior to Game 7 of the SCF in '06 that I didn't care if we sucked for 5 years after that game, provided we won it. Well, I didn't really intend for that to be literal but it seems that we may, with the '09 playoffs being the outlier.
I made that same deal with the Devil.

Just like the Brind'Amour contract, now we are paying for it on the back end. So we have to suck it up.

WoodGundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 07:08 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
The Red Scare of '14

I said the exact same thing, and last season doesn't count in my book, so I figure I'm not quite halfway through paying my debts for 2006.

10-29-2009, 08:27 PM
AcidQueen
Joe, Lord of Evil

Send a message via AIM to AcidQueen Send a message via MSN to AcidQueen Send a message via Yahoo to AcidQueen
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen View Post
um, hello....whalers fan.....

this is nothing comparison. survive a season where your top players, two of which are underage get thrown in jail for fighting in a bar while your gm gets thrown in jail then betty ford rehab for being an alcoholic drunk driver who gets arrested when he cant find his own driveway.....during the season....while being coached by friggin pierre mcguire who nylander to the minors cause he wasnt "good enough" - who puts up a six point ahl game and demands and gets a trade...made by the alcoholic gm right before getting arrested. mcguire also compared himself to bowman after "out coaching" him in a tie that was the highlight of the season.

this is a cakewalk. im in.
How is it that I forget to let you know when I am headed out your way for my annual visits to my sister?

We will have to get together for some drinks next time I come to CO.

AcidQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 10:47 PM
NobodysFaulkButMine
You jelly, Staal?

Send a message via AIM to NobodysFaulkButMine
I wanna watch Seguin in a Canes jersey so every loss we get just adds to my excitement. Besides, if you've been around since Primeau-donna, Kapanen, O'Neill, Battaglia and Kidd, it would be a waste of 10+ years to bail out now.

NobodysFaulkButMine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 10:52 PM
jbk ltd
twitter @jbk_ltd

In.

And FWIW I didn't start following the team until 05-06.

jbk ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 11:23 PM
bleedgreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidQueen View Post
How is it that I forget to let you know when I am headed out your way for my annual visits to my sister?

We will have to get together for some drinks next time I come to CO.
absolutely. let me know when youre coming out. that goes for any of you clowns who come out this way. one of these days ill be hitting raleigh for canes weekend.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 11:30 PM
dmonk
doughberle

Send a message via ICQ to dmonk
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen View Post
absolutely. let me know when youre coming out. that goes for any of you clowns who come out this way. one of these days ill be hitting raleigh for canes weekend.
Thank you Dave for leaving the long lasting impression on bleedgreen

dmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 11:39 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
I do what I can on my way to looking worthy of hanging out with Eddie the Eagle on a bender.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote