HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Vancouver Canucks @ Los Angeles Kings 10/29/09

Old
10-30-2009, 02:03 AM
agentfouser
Playoffs?!?!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
Exactly why I miss Williams.
and you believe williams to the answer to said conundrum? we shall see... i thought simmonds was the answer for about three games, but he's gotten away from his game these last two nights.

if williams can come back and contribute to maintaining possession on attack, then great, but he's wasn't exactly ripping it up in that category before his injury.

i wonder if the question of the year--aside from trading frolov--will be who plays with kopitar and smyth.

agentfouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 02:07 AM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentfouser View Post
and you believe williams to the answer to said conundrum? we shall see... i thought simmonds was the answer for about three games, but he's gotten away from his game these last two nights.

if williams can come back and contribute to maintaining possession on attack, then great, but he's wasn't exactly ripping it up in that category before his injury.

i wonder if the question of the year--aside from trading frolov--will be who plays with kopitar and smyth.
Hey, Simmonds has been great on that first line, but he lacks Williams' strength. Simmonds strength is along the boards, but Smyth and Kopi are great there as well. Its a match-up that works when Kopi and Smyth are on their games. Smyth was not on his game tonight.

What Williams brings that no one else on the team does as well, is his play from our defensive face-off circle through the neutral zone. Williams is brilliant at getting the puck out and getting it deep, whether it be a pass or a less tasteful dump. Kopi and Smyth dominate down low, but Williams is the one who really sets them up to start the cycle. Without a defensman who can do that in his stead (since Doughty is more timid this season), without Williams, that lack starts to glare all the more. Williams helps make that line click more than so many would seem to like to admit.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 02:09 AM
ru4reals

Quote:

Kind of funny how people always do that. Send him down, get him off the first line etc..

ru4reals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 02:14 AM
bland

Quote:

And the answer is loud, clear, and pretty freaking obvious: Justin Williams.

That line has had one good game out of four with Simmonds up there. Check the first game - Simmonds' goal came with Frolov and Handzus, and the Kopitar/Smyth goals were on the PP or in the middle of line changes.

Look, I love me some Wayne Simmonds, and I was one of the "he's gonna be Deadmarsh" shouters in all the stupid trade proposals on the the main board, but he is just not suited for his current role - he is too inexperienced and tentative to be a consistent contributor at this early stage of his career.

I really feel that this should be the lineup come Monday:

Smyth - Kopitar - Williams
Frolov - Handzus - Brown
Parse - Stoll - Purcell
Ivanans - Richardson - Simmonds

Add in a revolving top 6-er taking Ivanans spot in the third period. Simmonds needs to simplify his game and get in on the puck faster. This really isn't that severe of a demotion, as Terry Murray give his 4th line solid minutes, with Parse and Purcell no doubt seeing their shifts cut later in the game.

bland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 02:23 AM
OldGreatWestern

Dear Terry,

Johnson
Frolov
Kopitar

Brown

Sincerely,
Capt. Obvious

OldGreatWestern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 02:27 AM
bral
Go Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGreatWestern View Post
Dear Terry,

Johnson
Frolov
Kopitar

Brown

Sincerely,
Capt. Obvious

Seriously.

bral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 02:37 AM
justonetime

It baffles me how you can just not use your best player in the shootout. 3 shots to win, that's usually when you want to rely on your best players yes?

justonetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 02:43 AM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonetime View Post
It baffles me how you can just not use your best player in the shootout. 3 shots to win, that's usually when you want to rely on your best players yes?
Well it is unfortunate in a way that the Kings don't have a Jussi Jokinen type. Johnson would be the closest thing, but with the departure of O'Sullivan, we don't have that trump card in SO.

The selections were a bit strange, and I try not to question them too much, however Murray is so adamant about his distaste for the shootout, I am vaguely concerned that he takes them seriously enough. His attitude in the post game interview was almost as if he writes off the shootouts. I do admit though that is some serious presumption on my part. I would never accuse him of not trying to win games in all situations.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 02:49 AM
ru4reals

Quote:
Originally Posted by CycloneLaunch View Post
That is obviously not a Kings player in that animation
It's actually me after another shootout lost.

ru4reals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 03:08 AM
wabwat

Send a message via AIM to wabwat
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
Well it is unfortunate in a way that the Kings don't have a Jussi Jokinen type. Johnson would be the closest thing, but with the departure of O'Sullivan, we don't have that trump card in SO.

The selections were a bit strange, and I try not to question them too much, however Murray is so adamant about his distaste for the shootout, I am vaguely concerned that he takes them seriously enough. His attitude in the post game interview was almost as if he writes off the shootouts. I do admit though that is some serious presumption on my part. I would never accuse him of not trying to win games in all situations.
regardless...

2008-2009

8. Anaheim Ducks 42-33-7 91 pts

-----------------------------

9. Minnesota Wild 40-33-9 89 pts

they tied head to head... the Wild had the Ducks beat in goal differential

i would NOT be happy, and i'd probably want someone's ass sacked... honestly.

wabwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 03:09 AM
wabwat

Send a message via AIM to wabwat
there is zero wiggle room for the selections to be "strange."

wabwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 03:19 AM
aegwillnotwinthecup*

Kopitar had some glorious chances tonight. He'll continue to get his points; I'm really not worried about that. If Drewiske's pass would have been one inch back, Kopitar would have had the game winner in OT. Sucks, but oh well. Two back to backs in two weeks and we got 6 out of 8 possible points. Pretty ****ing good if you ask me.

On to the Yotes. We'll be good and rested. And don't look just yet, but Quick's save percentage is back above .900. Yay.

Two SO losses in two nights sucks, but whatever, it could have been worse. Williams needs to come back.

aegwillnotwinthecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 03:32 AM
DIEHARD the King fan

I love JJ in the shootout, but not using Kopistar and Frolov is unforgivable.
If those are your go-to guys, then "go" to them.
Handzus misses the net, while Smyth's move was not exactly strong.

Sorry, but TM must take some blame for not going with his prime scorers tonight.

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 04:46 AM
FrozenRoyalty
HFB Partner

Frozen Royalty Audio: Canucks Hand LA Kings Second Straight Shootout Loss, 2-1

Frozen Royalty Audio: Canucks Hand LA Kings Second Straight Shootout Loss, 2-1

FrozenRoyalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 09:06 AM
The Jumping Shrimp

I can remember watching Doughty in the World Juniors a couple of years ago (where he became the only 17 year old EVER to win top D-Man) and he was a man amongst boys. He did whatever he wanted to do whenever he wanted to do it. It brought a tear to my eye. I've had a huge man crush on him ever since.

Second in the league in points for a defenceman. He's also making a very strong case for Canada's Olympic team. That's insane for a second year player.

On another note, Purcell and Parse were awesome last night. Not going to get too excited just yet but I'd LOVE to see those two keep that up.

Purcell played like a totally different player last night. A healthy player. Hopefully, the last number of games he was still feeling the effects from the flu and is now finally better. I'd love to see last night's Teddy play like that from now on.

The Jumping Shrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 09:07 AM
Winger23

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpa View Post
Since Fro's benching he has been tremendous.. so I say **** you who complained at TM's decision to scratch him. B/c he has never been better and he is bringing it every game so far.

So I clap my hands for TM..and on the SO picks there is a strategy that we common sideliners are unaware of...but I think it is more the players that is just making poor decisions when it gets down to be critical. .. not so much TM
Come on, Fro did the same thing last year, and the year before, and the year before. He's known to be a slow starter. Fro is doing nothing different really, it's amazing how he looks playing in more of an offensive role.

TM does have a strategy for the shootout. He's saving his best players for 10th + rounds of the shootout.

Winger23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 09:50 AM
ibleedkings
Is this real?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpa View Post
Since Fro's benching he has been tremendous.. so I say **** you who complained at TM's decision to scratch him. B/c he has never been better and he is bringing it every game so far.

So I clap my hands for TM..and on the SO picks there is a strategy that we common sideliners are unaware of...but I think it is more the players that is just making poor decisions when it gets down to be critical. .. not so much TM

Give me a break.

ibleedkings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 10:07 AM
Dave33
Still smiling

Geez, we need to start handing out Lithium in here.

Dave33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 10:10 AM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

is this the first time since Felix that the Kings have lost 2 straight, and neither was in anyway the Goaltenders fault?

KopitarFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 10:24 AM
SLang

Quick was great in reg and OT. Just hate it when he handles the puck, though.

Johnson was a stud.

Doughty was a stud.

Brown played well.

Canucks fans should be proud of their team. They played a nearly perfect game for a team that has a bunch of holes temporarily plugged.

**** the shootout.

That's all I got.

SLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 11:07 AM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

You guys are failing to realize that this team has gotten points in 6 straight, probably 1/3 of the league won't do that this season.

KopitarFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 11:08 AM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

TM did explain his selections being based on contests they hold with the players to determine who goes in the shootout. It's an interesting way to do it. If Frolov isn't doing too well on shootout practices, do you really put him in?

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 11:34 AM
Winger23

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
TM did explain his selections being based on contests they hold with the players to determine who goes in the shootout. It's an interesting way to do it. If Frolov isn't doing too well on shootout practices, do you really put him in?
With this logic he should also hold a contest to determine who gets to play with Kopi on the 1st line.

Winger23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 01:28 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

The Kings wind up October with the 3rd best October points record in Kings history.

BEST OCTOBERS

Pts. Record Year
19 9-3-1 1990*
18 8-3-2 1999*
18 8-4-2 2009
17 7-3-3 1991*
16 8-4-0 2005
16 8-4-0 1975*
16 6-1-4 1974*

* = made the playoffs that season

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 02:04 PM
SLang

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
The Kings wind up October with the 3rd best October points record in Kings history.

BEST OCTOBERS

Pts. Record Year
19 9-3-1 1990*
18 8-3-2 1999*
18 8-4-2 2009
17 7-3-3 1991*
16 8-4-0 2005
16 8-4-0 1975*
16 6-1-4 1974*

* = made the playoffs that season
Let's call it tied for 2nd best.....

BTW...digging the number of asterisks in that stat.

SLang is offline   Reply With Quote