HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Betts/Parent could return this weekend (update, post #172)

Old
10-29-2009, 01:00 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 965
http://flyers.nhl.com/club/page.htm?...id=DL|PHI|home

Quote:
It appears as if the Flyers will get two players back in time for Saturday’s game against Carolina (1:00 p.m., CSN-HD, Tickets). Blair Betts and Ryan Parent both took part in the team’s practice this morning at Voorhees and both are confident they are ready to go.

Betts, a center, has been sidelined since October 6 with a dislocated shoulder, while Parent, a defenseman, has missed the last three games with a lower body injury.

“You try to simulate things as much as u can; its kind of tough to do in practice but we’ll never know how it’s going to react until I’m hit and out there playing a game,” said Betts. “The thing I’m more concerned about is just going out there and playing well.”

That is exactly what he was doing at the time he got hurt, late in the home opening victory over Washington. Philadelphia is 3-0 with Betts in the lineup, as his faceoff ability and penalty-killing prowess were a welcome addition to the club after he officially signed in September after he took part in training camp on a pro tryout basis.

25-year anniversary
*Florida Derby *Kentucky Derby * Breeders' Cup Classic
The only horse to win all three races in the same year. Unbridled. Unmatched.
MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 01:01 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Thanks MSE.

I can't wait to have Betts back.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 01:03 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

^ The abbreviation of "you" is Prince-like.

Old
10-29-2009, 01:05 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Wow. Typo much?

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 01:32 PM
Miss Mess

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
^ The abbreviation of "you" is Prince-like.

Miss Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 07:58 AM
Gert B Frobe

Amazing that a guy who barely makes the league minimum and barely got a contract is this important to the team. Especially when a guy like Jones costs us more against the cap while playing for LA. I swear Holmgren is bipolar with some of these moves.

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 08:10 AM
97FlyersKing18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer View Post
Amazing that a guy who barely makes the league minimum and barely got a contract is this important to the team. Especially when a guy like Jones costs us more against the cap while playing for LA. I swear Holmgren is bipolar with some of these moves.
Betts is important to this team because he brings something that we needed very much this season, a solid center that can take minuets away from Carter and Richards by playing against other teams' top line. Also, Betts can win face-offs better than our current centers, which will help the PK and defending leads issue. Jones did not deserve a spot on the Flyes in the start of the year, so he was sent down. We got caught with the waiver move, and now we will be very close to the cap when Gagne comes back. Don't let salary fool you, Betts is a better hockey player than Jones because he is now an asset to the Flyers, rather than a cost.

97FlyersKing18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 08:13 AM
JSTAFF

Parent please be back for the game on Saturday so I can watch your sexy ass glide across the ice, oh ya.

Also, please get an extension signed so I can buy your jersey, thank you.

JSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 08:20 AM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSTAFF View Post
Parent please be back for the game on Saturday so I can watch your sexy ass glide across the ice, oh ya.

Man up and buy it regardless. If anyone should have a Parent jersey, it's you.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 08:20 AM
FlyersRKings

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSTAFF View Post

HA my friend at the Panthers game was talking about getting an Asham jersey after his three game performance .

But in all seriousness, it will be a relief to give Coburn/Timonen a few less minutes and minus the stupid penalties Tollefsen likes to give up. Go Ryan.

And thank God Betts will be back. Maybe Richards and Carter will lose 'penalty-killing fatigue' as an excuse as to why they're not putting pucks in the net.

FlyersRKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 08:35 AM
Wolfy

Tollefsen will have Coburn as his partner on Saturday. Stevens has talked to him about those penalties and his little revenge missions, saying he's too aggressive. If he can't calm down he'll have to sit. Lets see if it helps..

Wolfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 08:53 AM
FlyersRKings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy View Post
Tollefsen will have Coburn as his partner on Saturday. Stevens has talked to him about those penalties and his little revenge missions, saying he's too aggressive. If he can't calm down he'll have to sit. Lets see if it helps..
You have to be joking. Is he seriously pairing our currently two worst offenders in the back-end? Hopefully this means they only play a few minutes per game...

Feels like we just declared open-season on Emery when that pairing comes out.

And no, I don't think Syvret is worse than Tollefsen. After last game, I've soured on OKT considerably.

Old
10-30-2009, 09:08 AM
Wolfy

Sounds like a very exciting pairing if you ask me, and maybe Coburn will wake up. And don't worry about Tolly, he showed what he can do when playing full 3rd pairing minutes by becoming best player of the game. There must be something wrong here if you don't want people like that on the team.

Old
10-30-2009, 09:12 AM
FlyersRKings

Quote:
Sounds like a very exciting pairing if you ask me, and maybe Coburn will wake up. And don't worry about Tolly, he showed what he can do when playing full 3rd pairing minutes by becoming best player of the game. There must be something wrong here if you don't want people like that on the team.
Exciting pairing?!! Have you watched Coburn this year, even slightly? I don't care about his performance two years ago, right now he's playing like boiled dog ****. I give Timonen the benefit of the doubt for his play because he constantly has to cover for Coburn's atrocious positional play. OKT cannot do the same thing. Yes he played well during the Panthers game, but one game does not equal consistency. He was invisible for the Sharks game, and again for the Caps. Not sure what could possibly excite you about this pairing, unless you're secretly rooting for every opposing team.

Old
10-30-2009, 09:29 AM
Wolfy

He wasn't invisible, you would've found him on the bench..

It's exciting because it's a new pairing, and as I said, maybe Coburn picks up his game again. Both are also big and physical, that's the way I want them.

Old
10-30-2009, 09:41 AM
FlyersRKings

Quote:
He wasn't invisible, you would've found him on the bench..

It's exciting because it's a new pairing, and as I said, maybe Coburn picks up his game again. Both are also big and physical, that's the way I want them.
I personally don't think coaches should place their bets on 'maybes', but benching players is more of a European soccer phenomenon. Occasionally you see some of the grittier coaches bench 'good' players for poor performances (Hitchcock and Filatov in Columbus, Murray and Frolov in L.A.) but I would say it's not the norm, though it certainly should be. It's irritating to see Coburn's play cost us goals game after game after game.

He needs to see the ice from a different perspective. The press box.

And I also don't get 'excited' about new pairings of the third defensive unit...they all seem to be interchangeable at this point. Oh, and BTW, Coburn is supposedly a second pairing d-man. I hope this is a demotion.

Old
10-30-2009, 11:18 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

lol a fight between a flyers/kings fan and a bandwagon flyers fan. This should get interesting lol

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 11:45 AM
FlyersRKings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
lol a fight between a flyers/kings fan and a bandwagon flyers fan. This should get interesting lol
Eh I can't post on the Kings forum because I barely ever get the games here in Philly . But I do watch every Flyers game, and have done since '92. I think I can criticize someone getting exciting for a Coburn/Tollefsen defensive pairing.

Old
10-30-2009, 06:08 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Mess View Post
Maybe he's moonlighting