HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game 11 | Detroit Red Wings @ Edmonton Oilers | 9:30 PM EST | FS-D |

Old
10-30-2009, 12:06 AM
Winger98
powers combined

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetterberg40 View Post
Thats the best thing to do is just accept we came back, accept we got a point and move on. We can *****, whine and complain about this game but whats it going to do? we came back, we showed some determination for once and players who played like **** were benched [leino, ok one was benched] and players who worked their god damn ass off [helmer, eaves] were rewarded with a lot of third perod play as well as a shift or 2 in OT.

cant blame howie in the SO either...
and maybe the Wings will take their play from the third period as a major positive and it'll be a step forward for them. The way the Wings played in the third is how they need to be playing in the first and second. At least we know they have it in them.

Winger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 12:19 AM
nik jr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
and maybe the Wings will take their play from the third period as a major positive and it'll be a step forward for them. The way the Wings played in the third is how they need to be playing in the first and second. At least we know they have it in them.
i wonder how much of the bad starts to games is demoralization b/c the goalie has allowed too many goals.

it is really draining to have to come back, and to play without confidence in the goalie.

but on the other hand, team D has generally been weak at the start of games. goaltending is not the only reason for falling behind early.

nik jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 12:45 AM
detredWINgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik jr View Post
i wonder how much of the bad starts to games is demoralization b/c the goalie has allowed too many goals.

it is really draining to have to come back, and to play without confidence in the goalie.
This definitely has something to do with it, just like the surge of momentum a team can gain when a goalie makes a HUGE stop.

One would think knowing your goalie will be there to make the save makes you a lot more confident and comfortable in your zone - its only human nature. You don't grip the stick as tight, you don't overthink the play, you don't scramble to try and be everywhere at once. This isn't something thats unique to hockey - its paralleled everywhere in life. Having a support system gives you confidence, bottom line. I wouldn't hesitate for a second to think that this team isn't affected by their goaltending.

detredWINgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 02:15 AM
tmf2204

Babcock should "call out" players in the media more often. So far he's done that with Zetterberg, Datsyuk, and now Helm and they've all responded immediately after with great games.

Too bad it doesn't work with Osgood. We need Holland for that.

I actually kinda wonder about the fates of Rafalski, Kronwall, and Stuart after this season. All three are signed for two more years, but if Lidstrom comes back next year, with two young D in Ericsson and Kindl and the need for another defensive D... that's 7 guys for 6 spots. Would Kindl join the team as a #7 and rotate in and out of the lineup with Ericsson (as together on the 3rd pairing they might be worse than what we're currently seeing with Ericsson-Lebda), or might one of the three aforementioned guys possibly get shipped out? That goes against Holland protocol but with the need for better guys in the defensive zone, depending on what he does or doesn't do with the goaltending, it may be something he's forced to look into.....

tmf2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 03:07 AM
Kiddington
heehats

...couple of things I took from tonight's game. First, the bad:

1. One of the biggest problems with this team, and I can't stress this enough... is Rafalski. Can we ship him off to Germany or something? Seriously, this is brutal, and the worst part about it, is the 2-3 years he still has left on his contract. I'm already having nightmares about how bad he's going to be in 2011-2012.

2. I understand Howard is a rookie, but I find myself having a hard time making excuses for a guy that has such bad positioning. Not to mention, he falls down (or trips over himself) every few seconds a puck comes near him. He was just... terrible tonight. I was really expecting a better performance, particularly since he played decent against Colorado and Vancouver.

At this point, I feel the only help we can possibly get from the goaltending internally is calling up Larsson. If Osgood actually came to play during this time of the year, we'd be fine, but for some reason, every year, he wants to be a complete loser and stink up the place until March or so. That isn't going to stand this season, as Howard is no Ty Conklin.

3. This team is just pathetic in shootouts. I mean, give me a break. Datsyuk is a stickhandling magician, and he instead shoots for the five hole of all places? WTF is wrong with these guys?

Also, on that note, can we please stop using Zetterberg in shootouts? The last time I remember him doing anything noteworthy in this aspect of the game was in 07-08. He hasn't had a good shootout performance in a very long time, so why Babcock keeps sending him out is beyond me. Give somebody new a chance for once; honestly, it can't hurt. Our shootout record is pretty atrocious, if anyone hasn't noticed.

...and finally...

4. Abdelkader is a healthy scratch again? What. The. ****. I said it a few days ago, and I'm going to say it again; if he's not going to play every night, with regular minutes, send him back to Grand Rapids. I don't understand why their toying with this kid. This is going to hurt his development much more than help it. We are wasting a beautiful luxury of being able to send a player to the minors, at will, and instead are forcing him to sit up in the press box and keep a seat warm. Unbelievable.

The whole point of this season was to send him to GR to play anyways, and get top line minutes there; not get scrap minutes with the big club, or worse, be a healthy scratch like he's been the last few games. Has that game plan been completely tossed out by management?

(of course, now with Filppula being injured, they probably won't send him down anyways)

All right, now, for the good.

1. Nice comeback by the offense. It makes me feel a little better about our chances, if, you know, we can ever get our goaltender to show up for once.

2. Can we please give Patrick Eaves a real chance to prove himself? The guy was flying out there tonight. Other than his big tying goal, he had an overall great game. Best individual performance of the night, I'd say.

I swear, I'm going to lose my mind if Babcock scratches him on Friday after his performance tonight, and especially with Filppula being gone (basically opening up a spot for him). Give the kid a chance, please. He was signed to be a roster regular anyways, not the 14th forward.

...that's about it. I admired the comeback from the offense, but very little good came out of this team tonight otherwise. The defense and goaltending (especially the goaltending) still leaves a lot to be desired.

Kiddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 11:18 AM
14ari13

I am more than happy with one point ffrom this game.
Sucks Fillpula got injured.

14ari13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 12:00 PM
Erickkelly26

Just checked in on my fantasy league... Why does Chris Osgood have a 16.94 goals against average this week? is this true? what happened?

Erickkelly26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 12:12 PM
Redwingsfan
Global Moderator
What rust??

Awards:
Send a message via MSN to Redwingsfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erickkelly26 View Post
Just checked in on my fantasy league... Why does Chris Osgood have a 16.94 goals against average this week? is this true? what happened?
Because he gave up 2 goals in 7 minutes against the Nucks on tuesday..

Redwingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 12:18 PM
DarkReign

...and with the 10th pick in the 2010 draft, the Detroit Red Wings select...

DarkReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 12:24 PM
Gavin24

time for our future captain to step up and put this team on his shoulders and start producing GOALS.
Zetterberg's time to shine.

Gavin24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 01:57 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:

but on the other hand, team D has generally been weak at the start of games. goaltending is not the only reason for falling behind early.
I'm sure it's part of it and one feeds the other. Another part of it has to be that we just have so many new faces in the lineup. I'm still fine with going with the kids but maybe we didn't realize how hard the roster turnover would affect the team.

One thing I noticed last night was that when the Wings quit trying to be cute they got a whole lot more effective. Yeah, they found that seam up the middle of the Oil's coverage, but they also played a lot more just chip and get it. It's like they can put it together that they can be a skilled team while also taking the smart, simple play.

Winger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 02:03 PM
Heaton
#disapointment

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:

I think in the playoffs Osgood exuded that confidence that allowed the team to play more relaxed. Even in Hasek's last year he still had that aura around him that everything would be fine (ironic that as 'bad' as he was in his last year we'd definitely take a goalie playing like that now).

When your goalies continue to give up bad-breaking goals it renders the rest of the defense useless.

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 02:10 PM
TOPGUN
I Am Terrible!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
I think in the playoffs Osgood exuded that confidence that allowed the team to play more relaxed. Even in Hasek's last year he still had that aura around him that everything would be fine (ironic that as 'bad' as he was in his last year we'd definitely take a goalie playing like that now).

When your goalies continue to give up bad-breaking goals it renders the rest of the defense useless.
Little off topic:
I love your signature at the bottom Do you have a video/audio of it?

On topic:
Well...

nevermind.

TOPGUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 02:14 PM
Heaton
#disapointment

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Wish I did

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 02:16 PM
TOPGUN
I Am Terrible!

Quote:
Wish I did
Too bad. I would love to hear that.

Old
10-30-2009, 03:02 PM
RedMenace
Zero ***** Given

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOPGUN View Post
Too bad. I would love to hear that.
It was pretty funny when he said that, and I was thinking about making a signature about it as well. I think he was leaning over the boards during a TV timeout getting some water, and said it -- "Note to self: Don't cut across the middle when Kronwall's out there..."

Pure brilliance. Seems like a good guy to have on your team.

RedMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 03:21 PM
ashenhigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin24 View Post
time for our future captain to step up and put this team on his shoulders and start producing GOALS.
Zetterberg's time to shine.
Im telling you its going to happen any game now. He will answer the call. Z has been so snake bitten in OCT, so lucky to get that fluke goal. I also think Bert has been hitting too much post, and that can't last for long.

Eaves looked great last night, and Helmer was flying out there.

I think May actually played well given his expected performance as an enforcer.

ashenhigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 03:48 PM
TOPGUN
I Am Terrible!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMenace View Post
It was pretty funny when he said that, and I was thinking about making a signature about it as well. I think he was leaning over the boards during a TV timeout getting some water, and said it -- "Note to self: Don't cut across the middle when Kronwall's out there..."

Pure brilliance. Seems like a good guy to have on your team.

That is awesome and at the same time a complement towards Kronwall!
I already looked on youtube but didn't find anything. Sometimes the NHL have some 'sound bites' maybe I can find it on NHL.com

Old
10-30-2009, 03:50 PM
redwings85
In Ozzie I trust.

I think we should just believe in our guys... and let them handle it sitting here complaining day in day out isn't going to solve problems... so we have a slow start... they happen... We've had slow starts before, and have overcome them.. I think we should just trust em and believe in them. after all they are our team we chose to cheer from them for a reason.

redwings85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 11:09 PM
Drunkspleen
Face of the company

Quote:
Wish I did
I found a torrent of the FSCoyotes coverage (I saw an ad for the fact he would be mic'd up on FSCoyotes) but it's a full HD video, so almost 4 gig, a bit more than I am willing to download for a single sound bite lol, I assume FSDetroit didn't get the mic coverage since it was a phoenix player?

Drunkspleen is offline   Reply With Quote