HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2009-2010 News Around the NHL thread

Closed Thread

Old
10-19-2009, 06:23 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPanthers7 View Post
Yeah but Stamkos is producing despite Tanguay's lack of production which is interesting.
Stamkos plays on the 1st line with St. Louis and Malone.

Old
10-19-2009, 09:08 PM
FlaPanthers7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
Stamkos plays on the 1st line with St. Louis and Malone.
Then having Lecavalier as your 2nd line center is pretty awesome - we have 2a/2b, they have 1a/1b.

Old
10-20-2009, 12:59 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Then having Lecavalier as your 2nd line center is pretty awesome - we have 2a/2b, they have 1a/1b.
Yes, but our 2nd line has the same number of points as their 2nd line. I never said it was a horrible line, just that I don't think it's as great as so many people were saying, and so far the numbers justify that. Vinny's great, but he can't carry a line by himself.

Old
10-20-2009, 03:43 PM
FlaPanthers7

Quote:
Yes, but our 2nd line has the same number of points as their 2nd line. I never said it was a horrible line, just that I don't think it's as great as so many people were saying, and so far the numbers justify that. Vinny's great, but he can't carry a line by himself.
Which bolsters my original point that when you are on a line with Lecavalier and can't score, maybe we made the right decision in passing on Tanguay after all.

Old
10-20-2009, 04:16 PM
zeroG

Quote:
Which bolsters my original point that when you are on a line with Lecavalier and can't score, maybe we made the right decision in passing on Tanguay after all.
except... we didn't pass on him, he passed on us

Old
10-29-2009, 07:03 PM
jol

Mezei to Finland, Espoo Blues, till end of the season.

JOL

Old
10-30-2009, 12:58 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Ovechkin is in the race for 50 in 50. Not sure he'll do it, by he is an absolute machine. This could be the year he separates himself from the other two, Still think Malkin has the highest upside, but consistency is his main downfall right now.

Old
10-30-2009, 01:57 PM
Panteras
perennial loser

vCash: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
Ovechkin is in the race for 50 in 50. Not sure he'll do it, by he is an absolute machine. This could be the year he separates himself from the other two, Still think Malkin has the highest upside, but consistency is his main downfall right now.
i hope he does get 50 in 50..the good thing he has going for him is that he is surrounded with very well skilled players/passers like Semin and Backstrom...i think Malkin is not a goalscorer like Ovie, Evgeni is not a prolific goalscorer in my opinion, plus his role with the Pens has become more of a team player assis guy...the only other guy that i think can match Ovechkin season to season (because of course there could be a guy that explodes in any given season like Kopitar and Gaborik are doing right now)..is Ilya Kovalchuk...the other good thing about Ovie is that he doesn't get injured, like Ilya does..he's my fav. player and i think could accomplish everything Ovie does except Kovie has just been so injury prone the last couple of seasons it sucks, can't expect to accomplish these things when you miss games every season

but i like Ovie a lot too, can't help but love the guy, he reminds me of Ronaldinho when he was with Barcelona, always happy upbeat involved in every play full of energy, amazing to watch..needless to say Ronaldinho is crappola right now lol

but yeah would be awsome to see Ovie do that, will be exciting for the sport, plus i also would like to see what Don Cherry has to say about it

Last edited by Panteras: 10-30-2009 at 02:03 PM.
Old
10-30-2009, 02:09 PM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
Yea, I can't believe that some think Ovechkin isn't the best player in the NHL right now. I mean, everyone has their opinions and I respect that, but I feel so strongly that he is the best player that I don't see how others can't see it. Does that make sense, what I'm trying to say?

I'm not saying you, because I know you're trying to say Malkin has the highest upside, which is debatable and I think he is #2 in the NHL in my opinion, but Ovechkin is just simply amazing.

Old
10-30-2009, 02:55 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattrick View Post
Yea, I can't believe that some think Ovechkin isn't the best player in the NHL right now. I mean, everyone has their opinions and I respect that, but I feel so strongly that he is the best player that I don't see how others can't see it. Does that make sense, what I'm trying to say?

I'm not saying you, because I know you're trying to say Malkin has the highest upside, which is debatable and I think he is #2 in the NHL in my opinion, but Ovechkin is just simply amazing.
I agree 1000%. Malkin does seem to have the most upside, but Ovie is in a class of his own right now. Ovie, Malkin, and Crosby are the "big three" of the league right now, but Ovie just seems to put it in another gear. To say he has any type of flaw is out there IMO, as I believe he plays the game with as much passion as I have ever seen. Its just a shame that two of the big three play on the same team, well, unfair I think

Old
10-30-2009, 02:57 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Quote:

When Malkin is on, he is the best IMO. But he can dominate some games, and then be relatively average (in his terms, still top 5 player) in other games. He has the biggest frame to grow into yet and mix that in with his hybrid game (Compared to the other two), his puck protection etc and i believe Malkin will eventually be the best, atleast offensively, assuming he conquers his consistency issues.

Ovechkin right now is #1. Apart from his bad start last year, he's been on fire for two years now. He wont do 50 in 50, but 70 goals this year is certainly attainable. If he scores 70, it will be one of the greatest goal scoring achievements of all time.

Kovalchuk is amazing, but he is certainly not up there with Ovy, Malkin and Crosby. He is in the next tier.

I wouldn't really compare Ronaldinho and Ovechkin. Semin is much more like him. Ovechkin lacks the pure stickhandling and moves of Semin. From a pure entertainment point of view, Semin may be the most fun guy to watch in the NHL.

Old
10-30-2009, 03:05 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Quote:
When Malkin is on, he is the best IMO. But he can dominate some games, and then be relatively average (in his terms, still top 5 player) in other games. He has the biggest frame to grow into yet and mix that in with his hybrid game (Compared to the other two), his puck protection etc and i believe Malkin will eventually be the best, atleast offensively, assuming he conquers his consistency issues.

Ovechkin right now is #1. Apart from his bad start last year, he's been on fire for two years now. He wont do 50 in 50, but 70 goals this year is certainly attainable. If he scores 70, it will be one of the greatest goal scoring achievements of all time.

Kovalchuk is amazing, but he is certainly not up there with Ovy, Malkin and Crosby. He is in the next tier.

I wouldn't really compare Ronaldinho and Ovechkin. Semin is much more like him. Ovechkin lacks the pure stickhandling and moves of Semin. From a pure entertainment point of view, Semin may be the most fun guy to watch in the NHL.
PLEASE dont bring Semin up please, as he could have been a Panther I think Semin deserves to be up there amongst the leagues best. He has amazing stickhandling skills, and his pure scoring ability is nearly on par with his teammate.

Old
10-30-2009, 03:20 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Tyler Seguin/Plymouth Whalers game highlights

I said in the last GDT that I would post some youtube vids of Tyler Seguin, who we could potentially be selecting with a top 3 pick at the end of the year. I didn't want to start a new thread, so I just thought I'd post them here.

Recent game, Seguin had 2 goals 1 assist. Panthers prospect A.J. Jenks, his teammate, also obliterated a Belleville player in a fight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1CsK...layer_embedded

Seguin's first OHL hattrick in September

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2VND-kEc8M

Seguin 2 goals against Oshawa in September

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=St7Xk...eature=related

Highlights from Seguin named OHL Player of Week last season

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZQ-S...eature=related

Old
10-30-2009, 03:24 PM
Rattrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
PLEASE dont bring Semin up please, as he could have been a Panther I think Semin deserves to be up there amongst the leagues best. He has amazing stickhandling skills, and his pure scoring ability is nearly on par with his teammate.
I'd like to add Gaborik into the discussion to be right up there with Semin and Kovalchuk as guys who could be dominate players. If he could stay healthy and especially now that he's not in Minnesota, he could be a 100+ point guy easily.

Old
10-30-2009, 03:39 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Quote:
I'd like to add Gaborik into the discussion to be right up there with Semin and Kovalchuk as guys who could be dominate players. If he could stay healthy and especially now that he's not in Minnesota, he could be a 100+ point guy easily.
Gaborik is never going to be a regular 100pt player unless the game changes and gears itself towards a more offensively orientated style.

In the past 3 years, 10 seperate players have scored more than 100 pts. In the past two, only 3. Of those 10, only 3 have multiple seasons over 100 in that time span (2 each for the big three). The other guys include Hossa, Sakic, Heatley, Lecavalier, St Loius and Thornton. 2006-2007 was a freak year incomparison to its year surrounding it. For all of those guys discluding Sakic (legend, and even his better years came in higher scoring years) it was a career year, and Thornton aside, their first and last as 100pt scorers.

Simply put, scoring 100 points once in this "era" is extremely difficult. Doing it multiple times is basically impossible, unless you are a hyper star - ala the big three.

As good as Kovy, Gabby etc are, you are unlikely to ever see them rack up multiple 100 point years. Datsyuk yet to get one. Iginla hasn't. These guys are amazing hockey players, and placed in a different and correct era, almost certainly would do it at some point. But current NHL conditions do not allow for many 100 pts years.

The only guy who has even had the PPG pace to reach that milestone outside of the big 3 in the last two years is Semin. However, that includes a freak start, and as we all know, he is injury prone.

Old
10-30-2009, 03:48 PM
Rattrick

Quote:
Gaborik is never going to be a regular 100pt player unless the game changes and gears itself towards a more offensively orientated style.

In the past 3 years, 10 seperate players have scored more than 100 pts. In the past two, only 3. Of those 10, only 3 have multiple seasons over 100 in that time span (2 each for the big three). The other guys include Hossa, Sakic, Heatley, Lecavalier, St Loius and Thornton. 2006-2007 was a freak year incomparison to its year surrounding it. For all of those guys discluding Sakic (legend, and even his better years came in higher scoring years) it was a career year, and Thornton aside, their first and last as 100pt scorers.

Simply put, scoring 100 points once in this "era" is extremely difficult. Doing it multiple times is basically impossible, unless you are a hyper star - ala the big three.

As good as Kovy, Gabby etc are, you are unlikely to ever see them rack up multiple 100 point years. Datsyuk yet to get one. Iginla hasn't. These guys are amazing hockey players, and placed in a different and correct era, almost certainly would do it at some point. But current NHL conditions do not allow for many 100 pts years.

The only guy who has even had the PPG pace to reach that milestone outside of the big 3 in the last two years is Semin. However, that includes a freak start, and as we all know, he is injury prone.
You do realize that Gaborik is on pace for 114 points in 76 games this year, including 63 goals, right?

Like I said, once out of Minnesota, his offensive game would go to the next level.

Old
10-30-2009, 03:56 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Quote:
You do realize that Gaborik is on pace for 114 points in 76 games this year, including 63 goals, right?

Like I said, once out of Minnesota, his offensive game would go to the next level.
He has played what 12 games? If use projections so early on then there would be 10+ 100pt players every year. Kopitar has 21 points in 14 games, but he is not going to put up a 100pts this year, as good as he is.

You really think Gaborik would score 63 goals? I mean, Ovechkin didn't even reach that total last year, and he is an absolute machine.

Gaborik is an 80-90 pt forward with the potential to have a peak year around 100-105 if everything goes perfectly. Of course this completely ignores the main issue ; injuries.

I've seen you make this mistake before. I don't think you understand how hard it is to acquire 100 points in a season in this climate, let alone do it multiple times.

Old
10-30-2009, 04:02 PM
Rattrick

Quote:
He has played what 12 games? If use projections so early on then there would be 10+ 100pt players every year. Kopitar has 21 points in 14 games, but he is not going to put up a 100pts this year, as good as he is.

You really think Gaborik would score 63 goals? I mean, Ovechkin didn't even reach that total last year, and he is an absolute machine.

Gaborik is an 80-90 pt forward with the potential to have a peak year around 100-105 if everything goes perfectly. Of course this completely ignores the main issue ; injuries.

I've seen you make this mistake before. I don't think you understand how hard it is to acquire 100 points in a season in this climate, let alone do it multiple times.
Sorry, but I completely disagree. I think Gaborik is a 100+ point player outside of Minnesota neglecting injuries which will never happen with him.

I know how hard it is to hit 100 points, but I'll go out on a limb and say that I think Gaborik IF healthy (again, will never happen) could be the 4th best player in the NHL.

Old
10-30-2009, 04:09 PM
Boooooth10

Quote:
I said in the last GDT that I would post some youtube vids of Tyler Seguin, who we could potentially be selecting with a top 3 pick at the end of the year. I didn't want to start a new thread, so I just thought I'd post them here.

Recent game, Seguin had 2 goals 1 assist. Panthers prospect A.J. Jenks, his teammate, also obliterated a Belleville player in a fight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1CsK...layer_embedded

Seguin's first OHL hattrick in September

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2VND-kEc8M

Seguin 2 goals against Oshawa in September

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=St7Xk...eature=related

Highlights from Seguin named OHL Player of Week last season

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZQ-S...eature=related
Thanks for the links. I can see why you think so highly of him now.

Old
10-30-2009, 04:34 PM
Panteras
perennial loser

nah i think Kovalchuk is just as good as Ovechkin as far as scoring goals, he might not be as intense as Ovie and maybe not be as big an assist guy Malkin is, but i would pick him over Malkin and Semin any time for sure no doubt, Kovalchuk is defenitaly a 100+ guy, even though he's never gotten to a 100p because he's always been in a pretty bad team, Atlanta..and even those times he wasn't 100p player he was right up there in all the scoring categories.... Kovalchuk is a monster of a player

Kovalchuk's wristers are impecable simply impecable, his release is just rockets every time

if Ilya Kovalchuk played for Pittsburgh or Washington, or just a good playoff team..pfffss competition over

Old
10-30-2009, 04:52 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panteras View Post
nah i think Kovalchuk is just as good as Ovechkin as far as scoring goals, he might not be as intense as Ovie and maybe not be as big an assist guy Malkin is, but i would pick him over Malkin and Semin any time for sure no doubt, Kovalchuk is defenitaly a 100+ guy, even though he's never gotten to a 100p because he's always been in a pretty bad team, Atlanta..and even those times he wasn't 100p player he was right up there in all the scoring categories.... Kovalchuk is a monster of a player

Kovalchuk's wristers are impecable simply impecable, his release is just rockets every time

if Ilya Kovalchuk played for Pittsburgh or Washington, or just a good playoff team..pfffss competition over
Kovalchuk is no doubt a superstar, but Malkin's skillset is unmatched, even by his teammate. In NO WAY would I choose him over Malkin, as Malkin still has a lot of growing left to do. Top two in the world right now are Ovie and Malkin, and I definitely agree with what Rat had to say, Malkin will be the best real soon.

Old
10-30-2009, 05:06 PM
Rattrick

Quote:
Kovalchuk is no doubt a superstar, but Malkin's skillset is unmatched, even by his teammate. In NO WAY would I choose him over Malkin, as Malkin still has a lot of growing left to do. Top two in the world right now are Ovie and Malkin, and I definitely agree with what Rat had to say, Malkin will be the best real soon.
I agree with you that Malkin is better than Kovalchuk. I also agree with Panteras that Kovalchuk is very underrated and is a hell of a player. Remember, the Panthers would have had Kovalchuk if not for the OTL point that was added that year and I think we had like 10 or 12 of them that year. If not for them, we would have had the worst record and would have had the #1 pick.

However, I didn't say that Malkin will be the best player real soon. I think Ovechkin keeps that title. I just said that I could understand how someone would believe that Malkin could become the best of the three.

Old
11-01-2009, 09:53 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Someone posted this video on the mains, not the NHL, but it's awesome!

11-01-2009, 02:01 PM
Panteras
perennial loser

Quote:
sorry man but i'm going to have to disagree with you....i guess we can agree to disagree if you will

all i have to say is, put Malkin in Atlanta and Kovie in Pittsburgh...see what happens, then you'll realize who is really the best....

skillset? what skills does Kovie lack? dude is a monster in everything, his release and marksmanship is 2nd to none...as far as dekes Malkin is no Datsyuk either so...in my opinion that point is moot since there are many players with amazing hands (ribeiro, kane, toews, etc..)

a good player can be great in a great team...

a great player can be great even in a midiocre team

Old
11-01-2009, 02:12 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panteras View Post
sorry man but i'm going to have to disagree with you....i guess we can agree to disagree if you will

all i have to say is, put Malkin in Atlanta and Kovie in Pittsburgh...see what happens, then you'll realize who is really the best....

skillset? what skills does Kovie lack? dude is a monster in everything, his release and marksmanship is 2nd to none...as far as dekes Malkin is no Datsyuk either so...in my opinion that point is moot since there are many players with amazing hands (ribeiro, kane, toews, etc..)

a good player can be great in a great team...

a great player can be great even in a midiocre team
Malkin was the best player in the NHL last year.

The Penguins aren't a great team. I maintain this theory. Malkin plays with average players himself. Indeed now Kovy has a better supporting cast than Malkin.

Malkin may not be as typically pleasing to watch, but he is a better player.

Malkin has hit the 100pt mark twice (rarely plays with Crosby, has Fedetenko/Dupuis/Sykora as his wingers last two years). Kovalchuk yet to hit 100 pts. You can play the bad team card and its valid to an extent, but great players will always put up points no matter where they are. Crosby and Ovy did so on awful teams in their first year. Being on a bad team oftens increases your stats ... see Jokinen.

Closed Thread