HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Player Inquiry Thread (ALL other player-related threads will be deleted)

Closed Thread

Old
10-29-2009, 03:47 AM
yakko

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by k1llua View Post
He looked much better tonight. I think he just wasn't playing with the right players. He looked a lot better playing with players more his speed in Doan and Hanzal.
Amen. I completely agree with hbk's post, but I think his point was further exasperated playing with Lombardi and Upshall. He really looked like he was trying to keep up with those guys, but he just could not do it. I think that made his timing suffer even more because he was trying to play the game at a speed he just couldn't adjust to, so he was always in a rush he shouldn't be in.

Old
10-29-2009, 04:02 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Advocate View Post
How about a Mueller for Horton trade?

We'd even have a nice nickname for him with the hot summers in Phoenix....The Reverend
1) $$$
2) Everything that drives us crazy about Mueller drives Panthers fans crazy about Horton
3) Reverend Horton Heat, HAHA!

Old
10-30-2009, 12:56 PM
Prospectman

Martin Hanzel

Any believers in this guy anymore. I see hes been playing on the 3rd line.
But overall do u expect this guy to develop into something more eventually?

Old
10-30-2009, 01:26 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowtrini View Post
We don't have a third line or a second or first, for that matter. The last two games Hanzal has been playing with Doan and Mueller. It looks like it may be a good fit. It should help his numbers, as well.

If Lombardi continues to play through his injury, Upshall comes out of the press box, and Korpikoski gets the nod over Bissonnette, than the line-up should probably look like this...

Doan-Hanzal-Mueller
Upshall-Lombardi-Korpikoski
Prucha-Lang-Vrbata
Pyatt-Fiddler-Winnik
Bissonnette

...three pretty even top three lines(can't really assign a number to any) and then an obvious fourth line.

With Pyatt getting a goal, you might see him switched with Korpikoski there. Which I think would be dumb because Pyatt has proved he can't keep up on that line, and it was Fiddler that set the goal up.

Old
10-30-2009, 01:28 PM
yakko

Quote:
He was playing on the first line between Mueller and Doan in the last couple of games and has looked good doing it.

Old
10-30-2009, 01:30 PM
zz

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
With Pyatt getting a goal, you might see him switched with Korpikoski there. Which I think would be dumb because Pyatt has proved he can't keep up on that line, and it was Fiddler that set the goal up.
How about keeping that line together and give them a few more minutes? All 3 played well, not just Pyatt.

Old
10-30-2009, 01:35 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz View Post
How about keeping that line together and give them a few more minutes? All 3 played well, not just Pyatt.
Agreed. Winnik and Pyatt both had goals and Fiddler assisted on both. Plus, they are a very good checking line in both ends of the ice. That line needs to stay together.

Old
10-30-2009, 01:36 PM
yakko

Quote:
I was thinking myself while watching the game that they don't look like a fourth line.

Old
10-30-2009, 02:52 PM
hbk

Quote:
What are your expectations?

I think everyone is a believer in Hanzal. He's played very well this year.

Old
10-30-2009, 03:22 PM
ducky

A big believer in Hanzal.

He will be a dominant #2 centre in the league that can play 1st line. His game is still growing. He has established himself as a shut down centre. Now he is being afforded more chance to score. The offense will come.

I'm a lot more concerned about Mueller right now. Maybe it is WJF rubbing off on me or maybe Tippett is going to make Mueller a legit 2 way player. Time will tell.

Old
10-30-2009, 04:15 PM
hbk

Here's a copy of a post I made back before the 2006 Draft about Mueller.

"Just got home from watching him lay an egg against Vancouver. It was only one game granted but he didn't use his size and played more of a perimeter game than I would have liked (his role on the point on the PP did not help here). He looked like a guy who would drop on draft day. I expected more. I expected a lot more from a guy who is projected to go Top 6. Disappointing."

Did I nail it or did I nail it?

Old
10-30-2009, 04:44 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk View Post
Here's a copy of a post I made back before the 2006 Draft about Mueller.

"Just got home from watching him lay an egg against Vancouver. It was only one game granted but he didn't use his size and played more of a perimeter game than I would have liked (his role on the point on the PP did not help here). He looked like a guy who would drop on draft day. I expected more. I expected a lot more from a guy who is projected to go Top 6. Disappointing."

Did I nail it or did I nail it?
Yeah, I found that post just before this last draft. I was scouring over pre-draft threads from previous years just to have a laugh at all of the wrong. That post, though, was scary.

Old
10-30-2009, 05:34 PM
hbk

Quote:
Yeah, I found that post just before this last draft. I was scouring over pre-draft threads from previous years just to have a laugh at all of the wrong. That post, though, was scary.
It's not a question of talent. He can play in this league. Right now he just looks confused out there at times.

I think as much as we hoped we had a cornerstone in this team with Mueller I think we all realize now that Mueller isn't going to lead us into the promised land. He will develop into a contributor I think. He just won't be our key cog going forward. That hope lies with Turris and Boedker at this point.

Mueller will eventually figure things out.

Old
10-30-2009, 05:43 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
I think as much as we hoped we had a cornerstone in this team with Mueller I think we all realize now that Mueller isn't going to lead us into the promised land. He will develop into a contributor I think. He just won't be our key cog going forward. That hope lies with Turris and Boedker at this point.
I resigned myself to this fact a while ago.
Quote:
Mueller will eventually figure things out.
I sure hope so. I do remain hopeful. I'm just worried it's one of those things where he'll need a change of scenery to get his head on straight. Unfortunately for us that means moving him for a paltry return, only to see him catch fire in another uniform. Way too early for legitimate concern, I'm just paranoid by nature.

Old
10-30-2009, 05:59 PM
hbk

Quote:
I resigned myself to this fact a while ago.

I sure hope so. I do remain hopeful. I'm just worried it's one of those things where he'll need a change of scenery to get his head on straight. Unfortunately for us that means moving him for a paltry return, only to see him catch fire in another uniform. Way too early for legitimate concern, I'm just paranoid by nature.
Look at it this way. We don't need to fear a long-term big money contract getting thrown his way at the next negotiation.

More money for Michalek and/or Bryzgalov?

Old
10-30-2009, 06:08 PM
zz

Quote:
More money for Michalek and/or Bryzgalov?
At $4.25 M / yr, Bryzgalov doesn't need a raise. He just needs to consistently play like a starter.

Old
10-30-2009, 06:19 PM
Devils Advocate
mmmmmm....Crow.

It's getting increasingly puzzling why Tippett hasn't thrown any love (tough) Mueller's way....it certainly seems to help others....

I'll blank out the names to protect the innocent, but it certainly seems you could slot Mueller's name in....

Quote:
xxxxxxx, the highly talented, but enigmatic, xxxxxx-year xxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx forward, has drawn the ire of his first-year coach through the early stages of this season for indifferent play.
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=504012

Old
10-30-2009, 06:27 PM
yakko

Quote:
At $4.25 M / yr, Bryzgalov doesn't need a raise. He just needs to consistently play like a starter.
If he keeps playing like he has played so far this season, $4.25MM is going to look a little bit low. I don't know that he will, but he is off to one hell of a start.

Old
10-30-2009, 06:40 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Advocate View Post
It's getting increasingly puzzling why Tippett hasn't thrown any love (tough) Mueller's way....it certainly seems to help others....

I'll blank out the names to protect the innocent, but it certainly seems you could slot Mueller's name in....

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=504012
Wolski and Mueller are similar in a lot of ways. The scary thing is that this is Wolski's fourth year. He had that great rookie campaign and then struggled for two more years. Maybe a cautionary tale about not giving up on a guy too soon.

Old
10-30-2009, 06:42 PM
zz

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakko View Post
If he keeps playing like he has played so far this season, $4.25 M is going to look a little bit low. I don't know that he will, but he is off to one hell of a start.
We'll see. I'm not going to express any kind of judgment on a 10-game sample. He's got 3 well-deserved shut out and has looked very solid in most games. But the team's played very well in front of him, and he did have a couple meltdowns already.

Regardless, he's getting a good salary. Fleury's making $ 3M, with a $ 5M cap hit. Osgood's making $ 1.5 M. Mason $ 3 M. Cam Ward $ 3.5 M with a $ 2.7 M cap hit. Khabibulin $ 3 M with a $ 3.75 M cap hit.

Thomas, Nabokov & Huet make a little more at $ 5 M, $ 5.375 M and $ 5.65, but I think Huet is way overpaid. Bordeur only makes $ 5.2 M.

How much do you think Bryzgalov is worth? I mean, before we start thinking throwing $ 5 M+ at the guy, shouldn't he carry the team deep in the playoffs a few times??

Old
10-30-2009, 07:03 PM
yakko

Quote:
How much do you think Bryzgalov is worth? I mean, before we start thinking throwing $ 5 M+ at the guy, shouldn't he carry the team deep in the playoffs a few times??
I don't really know. Much like you said in your last post, I'm not ready to judge his worth right now. I was actually a bit surprised to see you seemingly judge it so quickly saying he doesn't need a raise. We'll see as the season drags on how good he can be over a full season.

Old
10-31-2009, 01:50 PM
Mathletic

just wondering you think of Aucoin? I haven't seen much of the Coyotes except for the 1st or 2nd game against the Kings. Based on his points and +/- he looks like a nice bargain for the Coyotes.

Old
10-31-2009, 02:40 PM
RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathletic View Post
just wondering you think of Aucoin? I haven't seen much of the Coyotes except for the 1st or 2nd game against the Kings. Based on his points and +/- he looks like a nice bargain for the Coyotes.
He's been a very pleasant surprise. When he was signed Flames fans told us to brace ourselves for disappointment. Said the same about Vandermeer, that both would kill us on defense. Both have been solid, especially in the defensive zone. It's a long season, but so far so good. Aucoin and Vandermeer definitely have upgraded our blue line from last year and are a big reason for the 8-4 start.

Old
10-31-2009, 03:03 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

I'm most suprised by how grumpy Aucoin is on the ice. I never knew he could be so nasty down low. He seems like a pretty strong guy, and he certainly doesn't take any ess.

Old
10-31-2009, 03:40 PM
ducky

Aucoin has always had a nasty streak.

Both Aucoin and Vandermeer played lots of minutes for a pretty good Flames team last year.

Good additions by GMDM.

Closed Thread