HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Could we get Higgins back for nearly nothing?

Old
10-30-2009, 03:12 PM
azrok22

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Hard to believe since they gave him 2+ million and they didn't want to do the same for Zherdev and didn't want to pay to much for Dubinsky.They should have invested in Zherdev and got rid of Higgins if that was the case
Zherdev wanted $4.75 million... the Rangers offered $3.2 million... the arbitrator awarded $3.9 and the Rangers walked away.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/story/?i...me=nhl-rangers

Dubinsky was more an issue of not wanting to have him only signed for 1 year rather than not being willing to pay him. They ended up with a 2 year deal with a $1.85 cap hit, so I'd say their Dubinsky negotiating strategy worked very well.

EDIT: And the word from the NY writers also suggests that McDonagh was the centerpiece... not necessarily because the Rangers wanted him specifically, but because Ottawa wanted him specifically as part of the rumored Heatley trade.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 03:20 PM
The Nightman

vCash: 50
No way, Higgins sucks ass

The Nightman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 03:22 PM
madbox

vCash: 500
Things went bad on and off the ice but have to say, I wouldn't be opposed to seeing Higgins return to the CH with is head in the game, get back in form under Martin. A focused and determined Higgins still has a lot to offer imo. Hate to see his career pissing away and people giving up on him.

madbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 03:33 PM
FinnHab

Higgins is absolute crap these days, we dont need him

FinnHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 04:01 PM
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab

vCash: 1549
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnHab73 View Post
Higgins is absolute crap these days, we dont need him
Keyword: these days. Havlat doesn't have a point since October 8th, but does that he means he's crap? I think Higgins can turn things around. He's got the ability to score 25 goals which is more than Patches, D'Ago, and Lats can do right now.

The Gal Pals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 04:05 PM
FinnHab

What really happened to that kid, why it seems that he lost hockey sense for good? Too much partying or what? Once he was my fav player, really loved his work ethic on ice..then it all disappears. Mystery to me...

FinnHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 04:45 PM
ti-vite

No thanks, sloppy seconds.

ti-vite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 04:46 PM
le_sean

I don't really care for him anymore but that Higgins - Plekanec - Kostitsyn line was dynamite a few years ago. He would probably be much more motivated being back in a Habs uniform.

However the problem was never his on ice play, it was more his off ice antics. If he has matured he is a very useful player. If not, stay away.

It would be hilarious if they do get him back for nothing meaning the Habs basically traded McDonagh for Gomez.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 04:55 PM
Harpo
Lyle forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
It would be hilarious if they do get him back for nothing meaning the Habs basically traded McDonagh for Gomez.
We did win this trade as far as playing ability is concerned. The problem is Gomez's contract.

Harpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 05:09 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by airic000 View Post
Keyword: these days. Havlat doesn't have a point since October 8th, but does that he means he's crap? I think Higgins can turn things around. He's got the ability to score 25 goals which is more than Patches, D'Ago, and Lats can do right now.
by these days he means about 2 years.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 05:10 PM
vokiel
#NoTradesWithEDM

Quote:
So far this year Chris Higgins has 2 assists in 13 games and tonight he's a healthy scratch (even though Gaborik is out) and he's been in Tortorella's doghouse for awhile now. He's currently making $2.25M.

We all know he's capable of putting the puck in the net despite his poor play as of late. The Habs could trade a 2nd or 3rd rounder for him and take him off NYR's hands - all of a sudden we look like big winners in the Gomez trade. He would add some depth on our 2nd line and it would be an upgrade on A. Kost.

This is just a humble proposal...
What?? Capable of putting the puck in the net with 2 assists in 13 games? Are you well? This fanaticism needs to stop. Christopher Higgins is an ordinary player not worth the salary he's making. I wouldn't even give a bucket of fried chicken for his contract if I was a GM. Please get over it!

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 05:25 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Let's put the (06-07) kid line back together.

Get Higgy back for spare parts and watch our top 6 problems wither away.

I wish.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 05:34 PM
marvelousmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPrice View Post
I don't know why everyone is so down on Higgins, I thought he was a pretty good player. Great on the third line and descent on the second line.

I clearly must be wrong though, cause I don't think anyone here shares that opinion. I guess I don't know what I see in him.
Here's the thing with a LOT of fans on this board.. Even though some players are without a doubt very good hockey players, as soon as they enter a slump or hit a little wall, they all become worthless in their eyes. They have a very hard time using their long-term memory when evaluating players in general and base themselves solely on their short-term memory.

That being said, no, you're not the only one. There are quite a few out there who shares the same opinion as you. Higgins was a pretty good player and probably still is.. What happened to him last year was unfortunate, but he has what it takes to rebound and his career in the NHL is far from being over lol.

marvelousmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 05:38 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
So far this year Chris Higgins has 2 assists in 13 games and tonight he's a healthy scratch (even though Gaborik is out) and he's been in Tortorella's doghouse for awhile now. He's currently making $2.25M.

We all know he's capable of putting the puck in the net despite his poor play as of late. The Habs could trade a 2nd or 3rd rounder for him and take him off NYR's hands - all of a sudden we look like big winners in the Gomez trade. He would add some depth on our 2nd line and it would be an upgrade on A. Kost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
I'm pretty confident you could get him for a 2nd rounder, but even if so, I don't think that would make you winners in the Gomez trade, let alone big winners.

Please explain to me how we are losers in the Gomez trade?..

The only way that one can consider us losers is if Gomez doesn't play well but Higgins goes back to his 27G form and eventually Mcdo makes it big.

So please, tell me how the heck can we be considered as losers in this deal??..

Gomez is the center of our strongest line, a top trio that can hang with pretty much any other in the league.
Can you imagine if we lost Gomez??..
This alone proves how important he's been/is to us. He's got 8pts so far which is quite good.

Higgins on the other hand, has 2assists and injured yet again. It seems he can't be attributed a precise role in NYR. Is he a scorer?..is he a grinder??..nobody knows.
McDonagh, has declined little by little year after year. He's not close to making the NHL.

When you evaluate a trade, you have to look at the pieces moved.
Gomez over Higgins and McDo is tilting by a large margin in our favor.

Now you can say the Gomez move has opened up room for Gaborik and that's true but it doesn't make us losers.
But if you want to take that road then you can argue Gomez's signal attracted other UFAs to MTL.

All in all, the pieces moved were Gomez for Higgins and McDo. For now, we're the winners. If McDo turns out to become the next Chelios as once predicted, and if Gomez leads our team nowhere with an average of 60pts/season then yes we'll have been losers.
But that's not the case so far.

I'd also like to point out that this is only 10-12Games into the season. Gaborik is yet again injured so we'll have to see just how important his injury truly is.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 05:39 PM
llamateizer

Quote:
Havlat is crap this season
he is -10 hes 667th on 771 players!

llamateizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 05:40 PM
The Russian General
Força Portugal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika Trunitsyn View Post
I'd trade Kyle Chipchura for him straight up...

he is worth nothing more...

At least if Chipchura was playing badly... You're probably just bitter that your S'Kost is rotting in the AHL.
Posted via Mobile Device

The Russian General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 05:42 PM
FLYLine24*

Quote:

He's not a healthy scratch, hes injured (groin injury)

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 05:46 PM
peperebougon*

Quote:
These days mean more than a year

peperebougon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 05:53 PM
shamrun

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogsFan View Post
Why would we want him back? All he does is miss the net. The man cannot finish.
i would take him back. We know his rolee and thats killing penalties and being responsible defensively

shamrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 05:54 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogsFan View Post
Why would we want him back? All he does is miss the net. The man cannot finish.
You can't be serious. Higgins can skate, defend, and kill penalties. He's had three 20+ goal seasons. Compare him with that moldy piece of smelly cheese named Latendresse, who has 1 goal and no assists in 12 games and has never reached 20 goals in three seasons (and will continue his woeful trend for a fourth time). Tne sainted Guillaume cannot defend either.

Some of the negative posts about Higgins on this thread are so overblown that they smack of psychedelic drug intake.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 06:11 PM
vokiel
#NoTradesWithEDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrun View Post
i would take him back. We know his rolee and thats killing penalties and being responsible defensively
Moen is as good as him in this role and for 50% less money.

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 06:20 PM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
To be honest, I would not want him back and from some of the posts here I am not alone.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 06:22 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
To be honest, I would not want him back and from some of the posts here I am not alone.
If the Habs had Higgins they wouldn't have to dress Latendresse. That would be an immediate upgrade.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 06:32 PM
macavoy

vCash: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
If the Habs had Higgins they wouldn't have to dress Latendresse. That would be an immediate upgrade.
Because Higgins is totally outscoring Lattendresse this year????

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 06:39 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
At least Latendresse's salary is minimal and he's big and physical. Higgins is equal offensively (that means "terrible") and while he's better defensively we already have better defensive/two-way forwards (Metropolit, Moen, Lapierre, Plekanec).

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote