HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Flex and kick point

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-26-2009, 08:37 AM
  #51
Jarick
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 25,250
vCash: 500
One95 OPS and SE16 2-piece are tapered and both are mid kick IMO (I have one of the former and had three of the latter). The lowest kick sticks I've used were the Bauer Vapor, Reebok Sickick, and Warrior Dolomite.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2009, 06:49 PM
  #52
Nigelbilt
#SavetheGoons
 
Nigelbilt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,797
vCash: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
One95 OPS and SE16 2-piece are tapered and both are mid kick IMO (I have one of the former and had three of the latter). The lowest kick sticks I've used were the Bauer Vapor, Reebok Sickick, and Warrior Dolomite.
That would kinda defeat the purpose of the tapering.

the One95 is very rigid in the lower third of the shaft so it can withstand substantial loading. One95 ia a low-mid flex.

"Synergy® technology in a two-piece shaft provides a low kickpoint engineered for reflexive load/release" <----Easton website SE16

Nigelbilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2009, 10:52 PM
  #53
StrykerB
Registered User
 
StrykerB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 66
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
Interesting about the X:60 ... I prefer the mid kickpoint for shooting slapshots. I have two tapered harrow shafts which are great for the low kickpoint for accurate passing and wristshots.

I love all of this new technology coming out.

It makes me wonder when the ergonomic bent shaft comes out hehe.
Only problem with the X:60 is that if you have to cut it, then you cut the upper kickpoint out. That's why the Oggie's are so good. Don't matter where you cut, the grip flex is always there.

StrykerB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2009, 11:48 PM
  #54
Hockeyfan68
Registered User
 
Hockeyfan68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lewiston, ME USA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,418
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrykerB View Post
Only problem with the X:60 is that if you have to cut it, then you cut the upper kickpoint out. That's why the Oggie's are so good. Don't matter where you cut, the grip flex is always there.
I'm going to get the Tackimac grips, I am sure both companies make good stuff.

As for kickpoints I like a mid kickpoint for a great slapshot ... it feels more effortless for me and how I shoot. I however do not get the same wristshot accuracy that I get with my low kickpoint shafts.

Basically I have narrowed it down to whatever playing mood (as I call it) I am in is what I use that day for a stick. That goes for blade patterns as well, I use a few different ones.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 12:13 PM
  #55
Jarick
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 25,250
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBacon View Post
That would kinda defeat the purpose of the tapering.

the One95 is very rigid in the lower third of the shaft so it can withstand substantial loading. One95 ia a low-mid flex.

"Synergy® technology in a two-piece shaft provides a low kickpoint engineered for reflexive load/release" <----Easton website SE16
I don't care what their marketing says, I've owned and used both, and bother are mid kickpoint sticks. The One95 is stiffer in the bottom part and the Synergy just bends easier in the middle.

The two tapered shafts I've used with low kickpoints are the Sickick and Dolomite. I believe both are engineered with more flex near the bottom, while the Synergy seems to just be a normal shaft with a tapered end.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 03:39 PM
  #56
Nigelbilt
#SavetheGoons
 
Nigelbilt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,797
vCash: 164
Of course a low kick point stick would feel stiffer, thats the point, the loading of the stick happens sooner since there is less distance for the stick to bend before it recoils back.

why would it be tapered for a mid kick? that makes no sense, the whole point of being tapered is for low kick. Its like adding wings to a boat.

PS a just because you may or may not have "owned" a stick doesnt mean you know how it works.


EDIT: will edit this one too, if it works for you thats all that matters


Last edited by Nigelbilt: 10-29-2009 at 04:15 PM.
Nigelbilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 07:19 PM
  #57
StrykerB
Registered User
 
StrykerB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 66
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBacon View Post
PS a just because you may or may not have "owned" a stick doesnt mean you know how it works.
This could be true. But, there are also a ton of us that are gear "******". We go through a lot of sticks. When we are trying all these different sticks, you definitely get a feel for what works and what doesn't work. Unfortunately, all you have to go by to describe WHY it works is all the stick company's marketing jargon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yL4m7h39DCo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Txp7oRjoUpU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9ydbx_tkZQ

http://www.youtube.com/user/eastonho.../0/NgplPcqzNws

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pe-gUTY4fX8

StrykerB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 07:33 PM
  #58
Nigelbilt
#SavetheGoons
 
Nigelbilt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,797
vCash: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrykerB View Post
This could be true. But, there are also a ton of us that are gear "******". We go through a lot of sticks. When we are trying all these different sticks, you definitely get a feel for what works and what doesn't work. Unfortunately, all you have to go by to describe WHY it works is all the stick company's marketing jargon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yL4m7h39DCo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Txp7oRjoUpU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9ydbx_tkZQ

http://www.youtube.com/user/eastonho.../0/NgplPcqzNws

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pe-gUTY4fX8
or science

Nigelbilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 06:35 PM
  #59
StrykerB
Registered User
 
StrykerB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 66
vCash: 500
Jargon was a harsh word. I'm sure the manufacturers have proof to back up their claims. But get a little bitter when I break a $250 stick on the first skate or feel that a stick I just bought doesn't perform as well as the very same stick model I already have been using.

StrykerB is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:44 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2017 All Rights Reserved.