HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Oilers win, Please keep it civil. The mods will thank you.

Old
10-30-2009, 11:54 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
That is the problem with Bucky. I am not excusing Gags, but Bucky's only motivational tactic is to scream at a guy, according to reports from his AHL coaching days. His heart is in the right place, but he's just not that good a coach. We should have kept Huddy. Losing him to Dallas was a mistake.

If he were talking back to Quinn or Renney I'd be more concerned.
Buchberger is still a coach, but Gagner is also a man (albeit a very young one) so it depends what was said as to justifying or not justifying the actions. Usually stuff like that gets kept in the dressing room though so it's a little odd IMO.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2009, 11:55 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanschu View Post
I agree. Best to have him playing a lot in the AHL than in the pressbox.
yep, keep him in th eAHL and make him the 1st call up for Dmen. than if someone is hurt leave Struds in the PB and play Chorney.

nabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2009, 12:34 AM
elpol
Re-Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Buchberger is still a coach, but Gagner is also a man (albeit a very young one) so it depends what was said as to justifying or not justifying the actions. Usually stuff like that gets kept in the dressing room though so it's a little odd IMO.
this is the key for me. Gagner might be making oodles more than Bucky salary-wise, that should not change the relationship btwn coach/player.

and yes, it should be dealt with in the locker-room, however, if it's something that perhaps if the coaches have been working on Sam to 'fix', the odd slap upside the head to get the point across shouldn't be seen as inappropriate. Maybe Bucky had been riding him the whole game, and Sam had enough... we'll never know.

elpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2009, 01:06 AM
alanschu

Quote:
Originally Posted by elpol View Post
I haven't read all of the previous posts: Did anybody else notice that brief 'exchange' btwn Gagner and Buchberger after a kid line shift in the 3rd period. Enough camera time to see Bucky ripping into Sam, and Sam appeared to be talking back?!! You could actually see Bucky become kind of exasperated with the kid's response, and gave it to him some more...

In the grand scheme, it probably doesn't mean much, however to see what appeared to me to be a player talking back to a coach during a game, just isn't good.
To me it honestly looked like they were just talking.

I certainly didn't get the impression that Buchburger was tearing a strip into him. He might have to talk loudly because, well, it's an arena with 17000 fans all making noise.

I've seen Buchburger fired up and that really did not look like it.

alanschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2009, 01:34 AM
chance

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntOilFan View Post
Was I the only one impressed with Chorney?

He's got a ways to go still, but I've been thoroughly impressed with his poise, skating, passing and physical game. He's not a big guy, but he uses his body effectively.

I recall one shift on the PK where he caught up to a Wing (I think it was Holmstrom), stripped him of the puck, and fired it down. Veteran play.
I thought Chorney as been good ever since he's been called up, just never really thought about saying anything, assuming I'd only be bashed.

I fully agree.

chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2009, 01:37 AM
chance

chance is offline   Reply With Quote