HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game 12 | Detroit Red Wings @ Calgary Flames | 10:00 PM EST | FS-D+ |

Old
11-01-2009, 01:23 AM
DaFranzenator

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to DaFranzenator
Quote:
Originally Posted by norrisnick View Post
I think the problem here might be that you aren't aware that what was displayed tonight is EXACTLY the case of the Wings asserting their gameplan with conviction. When the Wings are in true form they are Nick Lidstrom personified. Steady, crisp puck possession, ironclad defense, and cucumber cool. The Wings aren't a team driven by tangible "passion" like the traditional rah rah Canadian sense of leadership/intangibles (ie the sort of play that Iginla is supposed to possess). They're systematic and emotionally neutral.
And thats exactly how we played tonight, I dont know why people find it necessary to still nit pick every little detail about this or that, in fact I think this might have been are most well played game the team has played all season other than maybe against Washington.

Although "boring" and extremely methodical this is how we need to come out and compete evey night and if we do I like our chances. The only thing I could see people criping about is Z and D picking up there offense a bit more, but I think there superb defensive play made up for that anyway. I liked what I saw tonight, hopefully we can pace ourselves and keep this extremely disciplined, technically sound play up.

Oh and people expect a lot more of these grind'em out type games, cause thats how's its gonna be without the usual firepower were used to seeing, expect a long season, I can't wait!

DaFranzenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2009, 01:24 AM
DaFranzenator

Send a message via ICQ to DaFranzenator
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMonk View Post
This was exactly the kind of game the Wings needed to play. Very encouraging, and a nice way to close out the worst road trip they'll face all season.

I hope Brad May is okay. That injury looked terrible on replays. CBC showed the team announcing May will stay over in Calgary tonight. They confirmed it's in the eye area, but wouldn't say anything else.
Yea what the hell happened to him by the way, I somehow missed that?

DaFranzenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2009, 03:06 AM
Filppula
Jurks

Missed the game due to work.

Meech only played 6:32. Injured or benched? Surely we should waive/trade him and get Kindl up here. Lebda didn't play a whole lot either, 11:28. The top two pairs played a whole heap of minutes.

How was Eaves? Played over 15 minutes, can't have been too bad.

Filppula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2009, 03:34 AM
probertrules24

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaAnotherWingsFaN View Post
Yea what the hell happened to him by the way, I somehow missed that?
He was on the bench and I believe it was Williams and a flames player tangled along the boards. Williams stick went up and into the bench catching May in the eye. He through his helmet and immedietly went to the locker room.

probertrules24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2009, 07:37 AM
zecke26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filppula View Post
Meech only played 6:32. Injured or benched?
it's MEECH! 6:32 is a lot for him.

zecke26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2009, 10:02 AM
Fugu

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8snake View Post
Tough crowd. IMO this was Detroit 2 years ago...yes it can be boring, but it's what can make this team a TOP contender again and prove the Fugu's of the board wrong.

Tee hee.

On the topic of the game, I enjoyed last night's game because the Wings looked like the Wings we know and love. I do NOT mind low scoring games if our guys are executing their game plan-- so eloquently defined by NN above. Boring is chasing the puck around all night like chickens with their heads cut off, trading chances and losing because your goalie isn't as good as their goalie. That's boring. Playing crisp puck possession hockey is NOT boring.

I just felt that not having seen this type of play from them all year, they'd somehow forgotten how to do it. Who knew losing Filppula and Franzen was what was needed?

Another note on the Helms/Apple Gators of the world.... Nice to see some speed and hustle out there. Homer's side of the ice was nicely exploited on the very first trip up the ice by the Flames. I think the hustle the kids brought out energized the rest of the team.

With Flip and Franzen out, maybe the guys decided to keep it simpler. Maybe that's all it took.

Old
11-01-2009, 10:24 AM
14ari13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birko19 View Post
Decent win, but boy this is gonna be a long season.
Eh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt714 View Post
Ozzy has been rock solid.
Good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik jr View Post
really good win

held the highest scoring team to 1g.
Finally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yemack View Post
it was a fast paced game so naturally it would work to Wings' favour. As good as Flames are, they overdid it a bit tonight and Wings capitalized.

I'm not happy how Wings just couldn't match Flames' intensity at the end. IMO this could have been an another case of Wings losing the lead late in game. Helm was the only player who kinda gave **** till the end. Datsyuk Zetterberg and Lidstrom need to show leadership and try to inspire rest of the team in those moment.
Lidstrom leads the team with +7, while many players are minus and even -6.
How come if it is due to the goaltending? Something does not make sense here.

It was a very good roald trip with 2-1-2.

We win and just 5 pages?!?!

14ari13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2009, 11:49 AM
Nordic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14ari13 View Post
Eh!

Good.

Finally.

It was a very good roald trip with 2-1-2.

We win and just 5 pages?!?!

It's funny that he's been playing with Rafalski 99% of the time the last few years, but stillend up way ahead of him in +/-.

Does that mean that Rafalski is bringing Nick down? I don't know how else to explain it.

Btw, Homer has actually scored two goals by shooting the puck - didn't know he could, and he's looked surprised both times, like he didn't think it was possible

ATM.

Homer ------> Parise

On pace for 48 goals.

Though, I think he'll end up in the range 20-25.

Ovechkin is on pace for 88 goals, and Backstrom for 88 assists. Coincidence

Last edited by Nordic*: 11-01-2009 at 11:57 AM.
Nordic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2009, 12:04 PM
Jussha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post
It's funny that he's been playing with Rafalski 99% of the time the last few years, but stillend up way ahead of him in +/-.

Does that mean that Rafalski is bringing Nick down? I don't know how else to explain it.

Btw, Homer has actually scored two goals by shooting the puck - didn't know he could, and he's looked surprised both times, like he didn't think it was possible

ATM.

Homer ------> Parise

On pace for 48 goals.

Though, I think he'll end up in the range 20-25.

Ovechkin is on pace for 88 goals, and Backstrom for 88 assists. Coincidence
I think the only reason Homer scored on that shot was because he lost balance and kipper probably thought "oh he just lost an edge on his skate he isn't going to shoot on me" LOL

Jussha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2009, 02:02 PM
14ari13

I've just watched the whole game.
It was almost a playoff-like game. I think Draps had a very good game. Datsyuk was the best player of the game.

14ari13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2009, 02:03 PM
nik jr

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14ari13 View Post

It was a very good road trip with 2-1-2.
with weak goaltending, a large % of defensive mistakes end up in the net.

lidstrom makes the fewest mistakes and has the best positioning.

most players have taken -'s b/c of soft goals.

nik jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2009, 02:19 PM
Chunkylover

So, I don't want to get my hopes up too high, but are the Wings on the road to recovery here? The first two Canadian games looked like last season: show up late to the game, play like crap, make a last minute scramble to salvage a point or two. The CBC announcers even said the Wings only start playing when they get mad at themselves, for their mistakes, as opposed to the other team.

Last night was vintage in many respects, but was it an example of an efficient Wings team beating a tough Calgary team, or is it just a slightly better Wings team beating a bad Flames team?

Chunkylover is offline   Reply With Quote