HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

WJC Rosters - United States

Closed Thread

Old
08-18-2009, 04:53 PM
Rabid Ranger
Drifter

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by William H Bonney View Post
Is USA Hockey finally changing some of their stubborn ways?!?!?

According to this article, there will be one more final tryout camp for the WJC team in December in Grand Forks, ND.

Other tidbits from the article:

- It would take a miracle for our goalies not to be Lee and Campbell. When speaking of the great goaltending he got, Blais only mentions those two.

- Blais also singles out Danny Kristo's performance and praises his conditioning over the summer.

- Blais mentions again that those players cut in the beginning are not eliminated from contention. He points out that for some conditioning and skating over the summer were reasons.

- Blais' goal of the camp was to come out with 15 roster locks. He said he's confident they got that. You'd have to think some of those locks are Lee, Campbell, Schroeder, Kristo, Carlson, Fowler, Morin, Palmieri, McRae, Stepan, Bourque, D'Amigo..that's 12. I wonder who the other 3 would be?

Read the full article here:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=479865
My guess would be Jenks, Warsofsky, and Saponari.

Old
08-18-2009, 09:07 PM
hockeyDude09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
My guess would be Jenks, Warsofsky, and Saponari.
Yeah I'd say Jenks, Saponari and add Wahl to the list. Wahl is to good not to make it. I don't care when he went home!

Old
08-18-2009, 09:49 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyDude09 View Post
Yeah I'd say Jenks, Saponari and add Wahl to the list. Wahl is to good not to make it. I don't care when he went home!
We're talking about Dean Blais' 15 locks, which he determined from camp. Wahl wouldn't be one of those, but he could still make the team.

Old
11-01-2009, 01:17 AM
William H Bonney

Bumping this thread. Any players that were or weren't at camp that you think are playing their way into or out of consideration?

I also saw this interesting tidbit on a recent NHL.com article on Cam Fowler. Expected, but interesting nonetheless.

Quote:
One USA Hockey official said Fowler, one of only two 2010 Entry Draft-eligible players to make the first round of cuts, was the second-best blueliner at the camp -- only John Carlson, a 2008 first-round draft pick of the Washington Capitals who has played in the American Hockey League, was better.

Old
11-01-2009, 04:10 AM
FoxMulder91*

Any news on Mitch Wahl and his chances of making the team?

Old
11-01-2009, 04:14 AM
Carl33

I also thinnk that A-J jenks wills be on the roster this year, at least I hope he will be on the roster in the bottom 2 lines.

Old
11-01-2009, 09:59 AM
TheLeastOfTheBunch

vCash: 50
What are chances that both D Amigo and Kenny Ryan make the US WJC team ........ Jerry is a PPG player in the NCAA level, Ryan is also averaging a PPG in the OHL level

Old
11-01-2009, 10:17 AM
Next Best Thing*

So chicy is cut? Sorry I Dont want to go through the pages :/

Old
11-01-2009, 01:12 PM
ColincampbellOscopy

I wonder if Washington lets Carlson go. Hershey has plenty of Defensive depth, but seeing as he's a mainstay on their 1st pair it might be tough even if this could be a good experience for him.

EDIT: It's still a shame that USA hockey was so petty in regards to him last year that they ignored him. Leaving him off was inexcusable.

Old
11-01-2009, 01:15 PM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColincampbellOscopy View Post
I wonder if Washington lets Carlson go. Hershey has plenty of Defensive depth, but seeing as he's a mainstay on their 1st pair it might be tough even if this could be a good experience for him.
At this point, no reason to believe they would not let him go, unless dmen injuries pile up before that time.

Old
11-01-2009, 01:32 PM
Chrisd

nick leddy is out 6 weeks with a broken jaw, this could probably derail his chances i dunno....

Old
11-01-2009, 01:35 PM
tyler_sens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisd View Post
nick leddy is out 6 weeks with a broken jaw, this could probably derail his chances i dunno....
Sucks that he broke his jaw, but maybe this will open the door for Chris Wideman to get a spot on the team. He is on the top pairing for Miami which is #1 in the nation.

Old
11-02-2009, 01:46 PM
Johnny Snake Eyes

can someone tell me the chances of jon merrill, brandon sadd, and seth ambroz making the team.

Old
11-03-2009, 12:39 PM
orangeandblack

Ill take a shot after the first 2 months of the season. I think they could take as many as 4 92s if Campbell makes it. Probably zero chance a 93 makes the team. I think if there going to take any 92s outside of Campbell, Brandon Saad has the best shot, followed by Zucker.

Goalies
Mike Lee
Jack Campbell

Defense
John Carlson
Adam Comrie
John Moore
Jake Gardiner
Dave Warsofsky
Cam Fowler
Jon Merrill

Forwards
Jordan Schroeder
Phil McRae
Mitch Wahl
Danny Kristo
Derek Stepan
AJ Jenks
Jeremy Morin
Kyle Palmieri
Kenny Ryan
Ryan Bourque
Jerry D'Amigo
Brandon Saad
Jason Zucker

Old
11-03-2009, 12:42 PM
schronote

David Warsofsky has looked really good so far this year, I expect him to be big for usa in this tourney. Very strong skater and doesn't shy down to anyone.

Old
11-03-2009, 01:02 PM
The Exiled One

Mike Lee Update

Things are going well with the presumed starter. He's splitting time with Caps draft pick Dan Dunn, but is every bit as good as his 2.14 GAA and .924 SV% would indicate. Unfortunately, the team in front of him is having trouble scoring, but that's not really his concern. Mike did let in a couple of softer goals in the a three-goal-tie a couple of weeks ago, but it certainly doesn't look like any kind of long term problem at this point.

In short, we can all assume he's still the guy.

Old
11-18-2009, 03:16 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Originally Posted by William H Bonney View Post
Is USA Hockey finally changing some of their stubborn ways?!?!?

According to this article, there will be one more final tryout camp for the WJC team in December in Grand Forks, ND.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=479865
And finally further explanation:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
Some details on when the camp will be held and roster named: http://www.usahockey.com/world_junio...tailedNews=yes

My guess is the idea to hold a camp to finalize the roster is Blais' influence, as he favors the Canadian model.

Old
11-18-2009, 03:16 PM
William H Bonney

Some more notes:

- Tom Ward, director of hockey and head coach of the boys' prep hockey team at Shattuck-St. Mary's High School (Minn.), has been named an assistant coach (the other being Mark Osiecki, assistant coach of the University of Wisconsin men's ice hockey) for the team.

-The U.S. exhibition game against North Dakota will be broadcast on tape delay Dec. 20 on the NHL Network (U.S.) at 12 p.m. EST

http://www.usahockey.com/world_junio...aspx?id=274714

Old
12-01-2009, 09:32 AM
The Exiled One

New Prediction

Yes, I do think Jack Campbell is a great goalie and a fantastic prospect. However, I think that Dean Blais believes there might be two goalies that will give the USA more of a chance to win than Campbell... Mike Lee and Joe Howe.

Lee didn't look great in his last start against Denver, but he's still going to be Blais's guy. Deano believes in Mike.

Joe Howe (who was no slouch in the USHL last season) is having a phenomenal start with Colorado College. He has basically carried the team to a 10-3-1 start. With a college hockey bias on Blais's part, I think he takes Howe. I don't think that's a bad idea either... the USA can have Campbell the next two years.

Old
12-01-2009, 10:02 AM
Rabid Ranger
Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Exiled One View Post
Yes, I do think Jack Campbell is a great goalie and a fantastic prospect. However, I think that Dean Blais believes there might be two goalies that will give the USA more of a chance to win than Campbell... Mike Lee and Joe Howe.

Lee didn't look great in his last start against Denver, but he's still going to be Blais's guy. Deano believes in Mike.

Joe Howe (who was no slouch in the USHL last season) is having a phenomenal start with Colorado College. He has basically carried the team to a 10-3-1 start. With a college hockey bias on Blais's part, I think he takes Howe. I don't think that's a bad idea either... the USA can have Campbell the next two years.
Actually, I don't believe Blais has a college hockey bias, which is refreshing for a change. I agree that Lee is the guy, but Campbell is the next face of USA Hockey goaltending and will more than likely make the team, at least as a back-up.

Old
12-01-2009, 11:47 AM
orangeandblack

Has the camp roster been announced yet?

Old
12-01-2009, 11:53 AM
james bond

It would be hard for him not to have a USHL/College bias as that is what he has seen most often in the past couple of years, however, RW, Luke Walker (90) of the Portland Winterhawks will be attending the final camp. I think his dad played for the New Haven Nighthawks when they were LA's minor league club.

Old
12-01-2009, 11:57 AM
Rabid Ranger
Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by james bond View Post
It would be hard for him not to have a USHL/College bias as that is what he has seen most often in the past couple of years, however, RW, Luke Walker (90) of the Portland Winterhawks will be attending the final camp. I think his dad played for the New Haven Nighthawks when they were LA's minor league club.
Interesting. I didn't know he was on USA Hockey's radar. Any other names you can share (besides the obvious)?

Old
12-01-2009, 12:00 PM
james bond

So, potential RWer's (possibly Kristo, Wahl, Palmieri, Saponari, Bourque, Czarnik, Brown) here is your challenger:
http://whl.ca/stats/player.php?id=24932

Last edited by james bond: 12-01-2009 at 12:02 PM. Reason: addition
Old
12-01-2009, 12:08 PM
CharlieGirl

Jeremy Morin and John Moore have both been invited to the US selection camp.

Closed Thread