HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

All-Time Draft #12, Part V

Closed Thread

Old
11-01-2009, 05:12 PM
Rzeznik

vCash: 500
GM: Rzeznik
Head Coach: Jack Adams
Captain: Steve Yzerman
Assistant Captains: Doug Gilmour, Bob Nevin, Larry Robinson

Rick Martin-Steve Yzerman (C)-Dino Ciccarelli
Adam Graves-Doug Gilmour (A)-Cam Neely
Dany Heatley-Dick Irvin, Sr.-Gary Dornhoefer
Ray Getliffe-Chris Drury-Bob Nevin (A)

Larry Robinson (A)-Jean-Guy Talbot
Ken Reardon-Ted Green
Alexander Gusev-Hamby Shore

Gump Worsley

How's she look boys? I think it's a pretty strong team all-around, and I'm happy about it as a rookie GM. Other opinions would be excellent though.

Old
11-01-2009, 05:24 PM
Sturminator
I voted for Kodos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzeznik View Post
How's she look boys? I think it's a pretty strong team all-around, and I'm happy about it as a rookie GM. Other opinions would be excellent though.
I'd switch Nevin and Dornhoefer for starters. With Heatley/Irvin, you've got the core of a very dangerous offensive 3rd line, and you don't want the other wing to be such a limited player.

Old
11-01-2009, 05:26 PM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

Coach: Jaroslav Pitner

I simply love what he brings tactically...so due to picking our head coach late, I want that assistant that can do the job for us.

Old
11-01-2009, 05:32 PM
Rzeznik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturminator View Post
I'd switch Nevin and Dornhoefer for starters. With Heatley/Irvin, you've got the core of a very dangerous offensive 3rd line, and you don't want the other wing to be such a limited player.
That's fair. It will take away some puck winning ability from my third line, but Heatley is a big body and Irvin was known as a pretty tough player, considering how gentlemanly he was, so losing Dorny's size there won't hurt too much.

How about something like:

Rick Martin-Steve Yzerman (C)-Dino Ciccarelli
Ray Getliffe-Doug Gilmour (A)-Cam Neely
Dany Heatley-Dick Irvin, Sr.-Bob Nevin (A)
Adam Graves-Chris Drury-Gary Dornhoefer

Like the look of the crash and bang wingers flanking the two-way Drury on my fourth line, Getliffe and Graves are interchangable though. Better? Worse?

Old
11-01-2009, 07:49 PM
EagleBelfour

With our 19th selection, the 604th selection, the Detroit Falcons are extremely please to select our coach, Monsieur Herbert Paul Brooks

''When you pull on that jersey, the name on the front is a hell of alot more important than the one on the back.'' - Herb Brooks

Nickname: Herb
Height: 6'0''
Weight: 175 lbs
Position: Coach
Date of Birth: August 05, 1937
Place of Birth: St. Paul, United States
Date of Death: August 11, 2003 (Age: 66)

NCAA National Championships (1974, 1976, 1979)
WCHA championships (1974, 1975)
WCHA Coach of the Year (1974)
Olympics Gold Medalist (1980)
Lester Patrick Trophy (1980, 2002)
Sporting News' Coach of the Year (1982)
Olympics Silver Medalist (2002)
United States Hockey Hall of Fame (1990)
International Ice Hockey Federation's Hall of Fame (1999)
Inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame (2006)

YearsTeamLeagueWinsLoseTies
1972-1979Minnesota Golden GophersNCAA17510120
1980USA Olympic Men's TeamIIHF   
1980-1981HC DavosSwiss-A11161
1981-1985New York RangersNHL13111341
1986-1987St-Cloud State HuskiesNCAA25101
1987-1988Minnesota North StarsNHL194913
1991-92Utica DevilsAHL34406
1992-93New Jersey DevilsNHL40377
1998France Olympic Men's TeamIIHF   
1999-2000Pittsburgh PenguinsNHL29245
2002USA Olympic Men's TeamIIHF   
1972-2002TOTAL 41234784

- Between 1955 and 1959, Brooks played for the University of Minnesota Golden Gophers
- As a player, Herb was a member of the United States National Team during two Olympic Games, and participated in five World Championships
- Brooks earned renown for reaching the 100-win plateau faster than any previous Rangers coach
- In 1987, Herb became the first Minnesota native to coach the Minnesota North Stars
- Brooks tragically died in a car accident in Forest Lake, Minnesota on August 11, 2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHOF
Herb Brooks was a consummate teacher, an unparalleled motivator and an unquestioned innovator.

Although much is made of the significant contributions made by Herb Brooks to the 1980 US Olympic gold medal 'Miracle on Ice,' it overshadows the remainder of a remarkable career for this life-long hockey coach.

- ''We went to the finals four of my seven years there, and we made a great run of it. I think I put a lot of pressure on the players, and I had a lot of expectations of them. I didnít give them an 'out,' and I think I was always able to find the kids who were really competitive. The common denominator of all the guys who played throughout my seven years was that they were really competitive, very hungry, very focused, and mentally tough, to go along with whatever talent they had. I think that really carried us.'' - Herb Brooks, on his NCAA days

- ''"They were really mentally tough and goal-oriented. They came from all different walks of life, many having competed against one another, but they came together and grew to be a real close team. I pushed this team really hard, I mean I really pushed them! But they had the ability to answer the bell. Our style of play was probably different than anything in North America. We adopted more of a hybrid style of play, a bit of the Canadian school and a little bit of the European school. The players took to it like ducks to water, and they really had a lot of fun playing it. We were a fast, creative team that played extremely disciplined without the puck. Throughout the Olympics, they had a great resiliency about them. I mean they came from behind six or seven times to win. They just kept on moving and working and digging. I think we were as good a conditioned team as there was in the world, outside maybe the Soviet Union. We got hot and lucky at the right times, and it was just an incredible experience for all of us." - Herb Brooks, about his 1980 Olympics Team

- ''He truly was part of our American hockey heritage.'' - Tom Sersha, executive director at the Hall of Fame

Sites:
http://www.legendsofhockey.net/Legen...t=ByName#photo
http://www.sihrhockey.org/member_pla...d=33439&mode=1
http://www.herbbrooksfoundation.com/
http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/mem...a/hbrooks.html
Video:
http://www.legendsofhockey.net/Legen...ch&list=ByName

Old
11-01-2009, 07:53 PM
God Bless Canada

paper's time limit has elapsed. Stalberg is up and he has been PMed.

Old
11-01-2009, 07:54 PM
God Bless Canada

I'll be around for the rest of the night in case anyone needs to send a list.

Old
11-01-2009, 08:46 PM
papershoes

the kenora thistles are pleased to select...

percy lesueur (g)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe pelletier
Smith's Falls is likely the least known of the Stanley Cup finalists, but the Ottawa Silver Seven certainly took note of goaltender Lesueur. Though the Silver Seven discarded the challenge of Smith's Falls with ease, Lesueur put on a show that impressed his opponents so much that they subsequently signed him, and used him almost immediately in replacing goalie xxx xxx.

Lesueur, a native of Quebec City who doubled as a bank clerk, would go onto become a goaltending legend. Percy rose to stardom in the 8 years he guarded the net in the nation's capital. He joined the team in 1906-07 and enjoyed two Stanley Cup wins in 1909 and 1911. LeSueur captained the team for three years before he was traded to the Toronto Ontarios in 1914. He played two seasons in Toronto and then joined the 48th Highlanders, giving him a tour of duty overseas.

He may best be remember by modern fans for introducing the "gauntlet type" goalie glove. He also served as an original member of the famous early radio broadcast "Hot Stove League."

Peerless Percy was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1961.

Old
11-01-2009, 08:56 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFA87-66-99 View Post
Nice Pick! Why is this guy not in the hall of fame? He was the probably the 2nd best defensemen from the 1890's era behind Mike Grant and maybe Graham Drinkwater. I'd like too see what info you guys have about him?
I don't know. But to me, the fact that he was never inducted into the HHOF is kind of a red flag, considering how (relatively) easy it was to get into the HHOF for early players.

Old
11-01-2009, 08:59 PM
EagleBelfour

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
I don't know. But to me, the fact that he was never inducted into the HHOF is kind of a red flag, considering how (relatively) easy it was to get into the HHOF for early players.
I'm still very unsure as to why Weldy Young should be an ATD defenseman. He was my all-star defenseman two drafts ago in the AAA draft, but I don't think, or at least I havn't been convince he deserve to be in the big show. I have some defenseman who played pre-1900 that should be selected ahead of him.

Old
11-01-2009, 09:02 PM
God Bless Canada

Stalberg's time is up, which means it's our turn. The Medicine Hat Tigers are proud to select a tremendously talented two-way forward for our fourth line. But the greatest compliment that we can pay him is that he gave his life in service to his country during the First World War: Allan "Scotty" Davidson, RW

Old
11-01-2009, 09:04 PM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
I sometimes wonder if there were "political" reasons why certain pioneers of hockey made it to the hall of fame and others did not.

Old
11-01-2009, 09:11 PM
JFA87-66-99

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleBelfour View Post
I'm still very unsure as to why Weldy Young should be an ATD defenseman. He was my all-star defenseman two drafts ago in the AAA draft, but I don't think, or at least I havn't been convince he deserve to be in the big show. I have some defenseman who played pre-1900 that should be selected ahead of him.
I'm not sure the criteria for selecting players from the 1887-1899 era especially now since there's not enough known information about him. I thought he was an intresting pick that why I said I would look forward to hearing what you guys have to say about him. I do think there are a few players from this era who have long been forgotten and were probably just as good as the few who got in the hall of fame.

Old
11-01-2009, 09:15 PM
Canadiens Fan

Thanks to the Devil Made Me for announcing the following two selections.

With our 18th round pick and the 574th pick of the draft the Syracuse Bulldogs are proud to select …

Mike Keane, RW

- in 1993 finished ninth in Selke Trophy voting
- in 2000 finished seventh in Selke Trophy voting

Quote:
Wikipedia
Mike Keane is a 3-time Stanley Cup champion, having won with the Montreal Canadiens in 1993, Colorado Avalanche in 1996 and the Dallas Stars in 1999. He is one of only nine players in NHL history to win the Stanley Cup with three different teams.
Quote:
LegendsofHockey.net
A scrappy and hard-working right-winger, Mike Keane entered the league in 1988 and has been known for his unselfish team play and leadership. Keane generally wins the little battles along the boards and in the corners, abilities which don't usually show up in the game summary but are indispensable to the success of a team.
Quote:
Winnipeg Sun, February 3rd, 2009
Keane played 1,161 games with the Montreal Canadiens, Colorado Avalanche, New York Rangers, Dallas Stars, St. Louis Blues and Vancouver Canucks, producing 171 goals, 484 points and 947 penalty minutes.

The undrafted right-winger is known for his outstanding work ethic and a tenacious checker who has a knack for elevating his game when the chips were down.

"I really notice that his best hockey comes out in the last 20 games of a season and into the playoffs, that's when he really steps it up," said Moose head coach Scott Arniel. "He recognizes that's when you have to be your best. In big games, Mike Keane becomes a big part of it."

Being known as a clutch performer is a badge of honour Keane wears proudly, but he's quick to deflect the credit.

"You understand the urgency to win," said Keane. "I know you can't take things for granted. The game can change on a dime. It's something where you really have to be mentally prepared for 60, 70, 80 minutes or whatever it takes.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With our 19th round pick and the 579th pick of the draft the Syracuse Bulldogs are proud to select …

Kevin Hatcher, D

- played in the 1990, 1991, 1992, 1996, and 1997 all-star games
- played for Team U.S.A. in the 1991 Canada Cup, 1996 World Cup, and 1998 Olympics
- in 1991 finished sixth in voting for the Norris Trophy
- in 1992 finished seventh in voting for the Norris Trophy
- in 1993 finished fourth in voting for the Norris Trophy
- in 1997 finished twelfth in voting for the Norris Trophy
- in 1998 finished seventeenth in voting for the Norris Trophy

Quote:
Joe Pelletier
Kevin Hatcher was a powerful straight ahead skater, which he displayed whenever he could by jumping into or leading the rush. With his giant stride he could catch even the speediest of transition attackers on the way back. Defensively he could look awkward when turning, but he compensated for that with his gigantic reach.

He had a devastating shot from the point, and would often come crashing in from the blue line looking for a surprise garbage goal. When he was on his many offensive rushes he was an excellent give and go player. He was usually a safe defender when it came to clearing the puck, usually breaking a man with a good pass.

Physically he could dominate. He was imposing at 6'4" and 225lbs, and he enjoyed banging bodies, sometimes with a mean streak.

Drafted by Washington 17th overall in 1984, Hatcher went on to play in 1,157 career NHL games, scoring 227 goals and 450 assists for 677 points. He also registered 1,392 career penalty minutes.

He put together one of the most impressive offensive seasons by a defenseman in 1992-93 when he scored 34 goals and 79 points. At the time only Bobby Orr, Paul Coffey, and Doug Wilson had ever had higher point seasons for a defenseman.

Impressively he reached double digits in goals scored 12 times in a row in his career, including seasons of 24 and 19 goals.
Quote:
Stan Fischler, 1998
He has been likened to a skating box car. His affability quotient generously rates alongside David Letterman’s and there are times when his shot equals or exceeds that of the cannon owned by Brett Hull.

He is Kevin Hatcher, arguably the most unfairly criticized defenseman this side of Hall-of-Famer Harry Howell. But he also happens to be an All-Star invitee, the balance wheel of the Pittsburgh Penguins defense and a very good reason why the Pens are legitimate Stanley Cup contenders once more.

Last edited by Canadiens Fan: 11-01-2009 at 09:25 PM.
Old
11-01-2009, 09:34 PM
EagleBelfour

With our 20th selection, the 625th overall in this year All-Time Draft, the Detroit are very happy to select left winger Ed Sandford

Height: 6'1''
Weight: 180 lbs
Position: Left Wing
Shoots: Right
Date of Birth: August 20, 1928
Place of Birth: New Toronto, Canada

Stanley Cup Finalist (1953)
Conn Smythe Trophy (1953)
NHL Second All-Star Team (1954)
Played in NHL All-Star Game (1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955)
Team Captain (1955)

Top-10 Scoring (8th)
Top-10 Assist (10th)
Top-5 Team Scoring (1st, 2nd, 5th)
Top-5 Team Goalscoring (3rd, 4th, 5th)
Top-5 Team Assist (2nd, 2nd, 4th, 5th)
Top-5 Penalty Minutes (3rd, 3rd, 4th, 4th)

*0.50 Point per game in the regular season*
Top-10 Playoff Scoring (1st, 8th)
Top-10 Playoff Goalscoring (1st, 7th)
Top-10 Playoff Assist (8th, 10th)
Top-10 Playoff Penalty Minutes (4th)
Top-5 Team Scoring (1st, 1st, 1st, 3rd, 4th, 5th)
Top-5 Team Goalscoring (1st, 1st, 3rd, 4th, 4th)
Top-5 Team Assist (1st, 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 5nd)
Top-5 Penalty Minutes (2nd, 2nd, 4th)

*0.57 Point per game in the regular season*
Lady Bing Nomination (5th)

- Ed Sandford received a second All-Star nomination in 1954, after notching a 16 goals season. This is the lowest total a Left Winger All-Star ever put on since the 1931-32 season (Aurel Joliat with 15), which speak about Sandford all-around abilities
- After his retirement, Sandford served in various off-ice capacities for the Bruins, as a goal judge, official scorer and eventually supervisor of off-ice officials
- Later in his life, Sandford became a curling enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHOF
[1953 Playoffs]Great in the victory over Detroit scoring six goals in the last four games. He had three first goals and an assist on the series winner. Against Montreal he had the winner in the only Bruins win. Led the playoffs in goals and points (8-3).

Sanford's formal education was put on permanent hold in the wake of the Boston Bruins desire to integrate the young sniper into their line-up.

He evolved into a steady performer who was good for about 30 points per season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail of the Stanley Cup, vol.3
1949 Playoffs
[Against Toronto] - Sandford also played well for Boston.
1952 Playoffs
[Against Montreal] - Ed Sandford equalize with a nice goal before the period ended.
1953 Playoffs
[Against Detroit] - The line of Klukay, Dumart, Sandford was outstanding
- They established a two-goal lead in the first period on smart plays by Sandford and McIntyre
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1954 Parkhurst Hockey Card
He finds patrolling left boards more to his liking and has improved tremendously. During this past season, he blossomed into the star he was expected to be, finishing 8th in the NHL scoring race, and winnig a shot on the 2nd All-Star team.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wikipedia
He proved to be an effective and tenacious defensive left winger, and was named to play in the NHL All-Star Game in five consecutive seasons starting in 1951.

Sites:
http://www.legendsofhockey.net/Legen...p?player=14216
http://www.sihrhockey.org/member_pla...TOKEN=59210716
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ed_Sandford

Old
11-01-2009, 09:36 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs Forever View Post
A triple A back-up now? He had good post-season that year with the shutout streak, but it was his only playoff year and the guy played only 2 seasons in the regular season. I think you could have done a lot better.

I'll make EB's pick in a second.
I cringed when I saw this.

Basically everything you said, PLUS it was WW2.

I picked him in the AAA as a backup (the 95th goalie selected) and got down to researching for the bio. I cringed. I realized the pick was not very good, even for an AAA backup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
By the way... McVeigh was the main guy I was alluding to earlier on, when I said there were some players I'd take way before Perk Galbraith for defensive duty, due to Galbraith's pretty bad offensive record. There is also another one who's unpicked at this point.
You are right.

Old
11-01-2009, 09:39 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedberg View Post
I sometimes wonder if there were "political" reasons why certain pioneers of hockey made it to the hall of fame and others did not.
Bernie Morris, for example. But he wasn't exactly a pioneer, the game was decades old when he played.

Old
11-01-2009, 10:59 PM
seventieslord

Sorry for the delay. heated discussion here. We are proud to select a jack of all trades defenseman with a right hand shot, size, endurance, offensive and defensive ability, massive amounts of physicality, strength and toughness, and who in real life had the ability to munch copious minutes.

Robert Svehla

Old
11-01-2009, 11:03 PM
jarek

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
Sorry for the delay. heated discussion here. We are proud to select a jack of all trades defenseman with a right hand shot, size, endurance, offensive and defensive ability, massive amounts of physicality, strength and toughness, and who in real life had the ability to munch copious minutes.

Robert Svehla
I love it. This guy was my absolute FAVORITE player the year he played for the Leafs, and I was really upset when he didn't come back.

Old
11-01-2009, 11:05 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by jareklajkosz View Post
I love it. This guy was my absolute FAVORITE player the year he played for the Leafs, and I was really upset when he didn't come back.
me too.

Old
11-01-2009, 11:39 PM
hfboardsuser

pappy is proud to select D Doug Barkley.

Old
11-01-2009, 11:44 PM
pitseleh

The Clippers select D Steve Duchesne.

Duchense might have the best Norris record of available defensemen, going 5, 7, 15 plus another top finish where he was one of the Conference finalists in the lockout shortened year. His AS voting record is 5, 7, 8, 9, 11, 12.

Old
11-01-2009, 11:46 PM
God Bless Canada

Just a reminder, fellas, that starting in Round 21 (and for the rest of the draft), we will be on a four-hour clock, which means it'll be even more important to send in those lists.

Old
11-01-2009, 11:48 PM
hfboardsuser

Duchesne's a great pick this late. I guess I'll take the other late faller...

RW Brian Bellows

Old
11-02-2009, 12:01 AM
God Bless Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bugg View Post
Duchesne's a great pick this late. I guess I'll take the other late faller...

RW Brian Bellows
I had a hunch you would pick him. He's been on my radar for a while. Excellent goal scorer in tight. Crashes the net well. He found success playing both wings. The problem is, where does he fit? Second line LW, or a third scoring line winger? Yeah, I like him for those roles. But he's not strong defensively or physical. Doesn't bring enough to the table to play anything other than a scoring line role.

If he would have dropped to our pick in 21, we would have picked him as our 13th forward.

As for Duchesne, I'm not a fan. I don't know if his game translates well to the ATD. I think he could be a liability, even with 15 minutes per night, against the outstanding skill that some teams possess. His Norris finishes are partially due to a voting system that relies too much on stats. He sulked his way out of Quebec. Keenan couldn't wait to trade him out of St. Loo. I believe he wanted out of Ottawa.

Now, he was excellent in Detroit. He bought into what Bowman wanted, and he was rewarded with a career resurgence and a ring. But he can still be frustrating.

Closed Thread