HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Gagne has successful surgeries - (post #85)

Old
11-01-2009, 02:26 PM
orangeandblack

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Ok i just found this funny. Been brutal the last few years? He scored 35 goals last season. Was solid in the two way game and was up with the highest of +- stats. Get your facts right first.
If you get top line minutes, and top PP minutes in the NHL, those numbers are pretty standard, especially in an uptempo system like the Flyers play. His playoff states arent good, and hes really exposed in those types of games. You cant deny hes soft, and in tight checking games, he makes you cringe. His better years are behind him. I dont think he fits on the top 2 lines on this team anymore. Im not denying the guy is a skilled player, but theres 6 better fits then him now on the team.

orangeandblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2009, 04:20 PM
decadentia

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeandblack View Post
If you get top line minutes, and top PP minutes in the NHL, those numbers are pretty standard, especially in an uptempo system like the Flyers play. His playoff states arent good, and hes really exposed in those types of games. You cant deny hes soft, and in tight checking games, he makes you cringe. His better years are behind him. I dont think he fits on the top 2 lines on this team anymore. Im not denying the guy is a skilled player, but theres 6 better fits then him now on the team.
I can't tell if you truly believe this or are simply trolling. 6 better LWs on our team? You realize there is a difference between proven and potential right?

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2009, 04:40 PM
orangeandblack

Quote:
Originally Posted by decadentia View Post
I can't tell if you truly believe this or are simply trolling. 6 better LWs on our team? You realize there is a difference between proven and potential right?
Right now Id rather have Richards, Carter, Hartnell, JVR, Giroux, and Briere on the ice with the game on the line over Gags.

orangeandblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2009, 05:20 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
I love Gagne haters. Its always the same thing. "But he gets pp time and 1st line time!" Actually last year he was technically on the second line, getting second line time. Why does he need to hit people to be good? He cant just put up over 70 points and we can be happy with that? If you want to watch more hitting, go watch UFC or something. Hockey is a combination of role players who score and hit. Gagne is a scorer, not a guy who goes out and hits everyone.

Plus you said we need MORE 3rd/4th line guys... you know we have 6 perfectly fine 3/4 line guys right? Why the hell do we need more? We arent getting this 3rd line center that some of you truely want....cause it isnt happening

Oh and guess what. Dont ussually the good players play on teams first lines? So that means... Gagne is a good player according to you? I doubt you can put any player on the first line and he would put up over 70 points.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2009, 05:20 PM
decadentia

Quote:
Right now Id rather have Richards, Carter, Hartnell, JVR, Giroux, and Briere on the ice with the game on the line over Gags.
So just to confirm, ~10 games is enough time to discredit one veteran's career and to make a couple rookies'?

Old
11-01-2009, 05:23 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
So just to confirm, ~10 games is enough time to discredit one veteran's career and to make a couple rookies'?
Along with the fact that he's been hurt... but lets forget his 131 goals in 260 games or so.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2009, 05:25 PM
PhillyFan4Ever

Quote:
of course. you should know how hfboards works. someone will look at your statement and now find justification in it using convenient reasons like, " hes prone to injuries" or " his production has steadily declined over the years".. something creative im sure.

PhillyFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2009, 05:26 PM
Opus

vCash: 50
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Along with the fact that he's been hurt... but lets forget his 131 goals in 260 games or so.
Some teams have been hit with the flu bug, our board has been hit (hard) with the ignorance bug this past week.

There have been some pretty sketchy posts the last several days.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2009, 05:31 PM
Esq.

Quote:
I cannot tell if you are being serious. Gagne was tied for the team lead with three goals in the series against the Pens last season.

Gagne is not a physical player, but that's fine. We have plenty of physical players on this team. Gagne is probably our second-best shooter after Carter, one of our best skaters, and one of the premier two-way wingers in the NHL. He is only 29 and could conceivably have 6 or 7 more very productive seasons in his career if he can shake off this rash of injuries.

Gags had 10 bad games this season because he was hampered by injury, but he was still our most effective defensive forward. Also, he put up 34 goals and a career-high 40 assists last season, along with a +22 and 7 SHP. Gagne is a game-breaker when he's on his game.

96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2009, 06:39 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

The problem with Gagne has always been the medical staff. He called them out previously on a radio show in Montreal, especially the way they handled his concussion plagued season back in 07-08. They diagnosed him as being dehydrated. What more does that tell you about the bunch of incompetent hacks the Flyers have working for them. Gagne's better off getting his own doctor than relying on the team medical staff. They're career killers. If I were Gagne, I wouldn't trust a single person on the medical and training staff with the Flyers. Worst group of medical personnel I've ever seen.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2009, 07:51 PM
decadentia

Just a little reminder for any posters that might have forgotten...

2007-08 Season, common thread "We don't need Gagne, look how we've done without him, he's done, we need to trade him"

2008-2009 Season , 79GP 34G 40A 74Pts, Tied in 5th for SH goals in the league, Tied for 17th for PP goals, and I believe may have cured the common cold (don't quote me on that)

Also, just because you are given 1st line minutes, does not mean you produce like a first liner. If that were the case we would not have any salary cap issues, and Blair Betts would be our leading scorer for ~750K.

If you really want JVR and Giroux out there over Gagne, by all means, turn on your Xbox and go wild.

Old
11-01-2009, 08:21 PM
Esq.

Quote:
Just a little reminder for any posters that might have forgotten...

2007-08 Season, common thread "We don't need Gagne, look how we've done without him, he's done, we need to trade him"

2008-2009 Season , 79GP 34G 40A 74Pts, Tied in 5th for SH goals in the league, Tied for 17th for PP goals, and I believe may have cured the common cold (don't quote me on that)

Also, just because you are given 1st line minutes, does not mean you produce like a first liner. If that were the case we would not have any salary cap issues, and Blair Betts would be our leading scorer for ~750K.

If you really want JVR and Giroux out there over Gagne, by all means, turn on your Xbox and go wild.
Exactly. Let's not forget that Gagne was 15th in Selke voting and +21.

96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2009, 08:49 PM
RoDu

My only problem with Gagne is he has world class speed, but he never lights the after burners and takes advantage of it, or at least from what I've seen of him over the years

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2009, 09:02 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
So what's the deal on Gagne. Tim P. says he is looking for a second opinion on surgery...does that mean if he gets the surgery he is done for the year and that is why he wants a second opinion? Otherwise, why not just get the surgery get back ASAP? I'd rather be without him now for a month or two recovering from surgery than have him try and play hurt, not play well, and get even more hurt. A hernia is a hernia. It needs to be taken care of one way or another. UGH!@

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2009, 03:33 PM
zbryne

Send a message via Skype™ to zbryne
FlyersOnTheFly
Quote:
Simon Gagne will have surgery tomorrow and miss 6-to-8 weeks, according to Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren.

http://twitter.com/FlyersOnTheFly

Last edited by Opus: 11-02-2009 at 03:53 PM. Reason: future reference - please quote the articles
zbryne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2009, 03:52 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbryne View Post
Simon Gagne will have surgery tomorrow and miss 6-to-8 weeks, according to Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren. - Flyers on the fly.
yep, Flyers posted it on their twitter

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2009, 03:55 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1200
Up on Philly.com now:

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/i..._8_weeks_.html

Quote:
Gagne to miss 6 to 8 weeks
Flyers left winger Simon Gagne will have hernia and abdominal surgery Tuesday and will miss six to eight weeks, general manger Paul Holmgren said.

Holmgren said the Flyers have no plans to recall any other players from the AHL Phantoms.

The Flyers are getting ready to play Tampa Bay at 5 p.m.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2009, 03:57 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

CSNPhilly.com:

http://www.csnphilly.com/pages/landi...030&feedID=695

Quote:
Flyers left wing Simon Gagne finally agreed to have surgery on Tuesday to repair two small hernias on his right side and will miss 6-8 weeks.

Additionally, according to general manager Paul Holmgren, Gagne will have his rectus abdominis repaired on both sides. So, it’s two surgeries.

The surgery will performed by William Meyers at Hahnemann University Hospital.

Old
11-02-2009, 04:00 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Well, not unexpected, should be back in good time at least.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2009, 04:06 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 844
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
That's not as long as I expected. Good news as far as I'm concerned. I'd keep him out 9 weeks just to be sure so he's 100% good to go the rest of the season.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2009, 04:07 PM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
That's not as long as I expected. Good news as far as I'm concerned. I'd keep him out 9 weeks just to be sure so he's 100% good to go the rest of the season.
Agree completely. Make sure he's absolutely healed. It sucks to lose him for that period of time, and it pretty much totals his chances to play for Team Canada in February, but he needs to get it fixed now.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2009, 04:32 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Ugh, I just hope Briere comes back soon.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2009, 04:37 PM
FlyerX

My vision of seeing Gagne and Carter on the same line will have to wait for Christmas. (hint, hint Stevens . . . you didn't get me anything last year)

FlyerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2009, 04:54 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

More from Tim P.:

http://www.csnphilly.com/pages/landi...030&feedID=695

Quote:
An ultrasound taken in Philadelphia showed two hernias. However, an ultrasound taken in Montreal recently did not show the two hernias. Hence the delay Gagne going under the knife.

“There have been players in all sports who have had this [rectus abdominis] procedure done before and don’t have recurrences,” Holmgren said, adding he couldn’t say for certain whether the procedure will prevent Gagne from having a recurrence.

Gagne had similar surgery after 2006-07, and it apparently didn’t prevent the latest injury.

“He had this procedure done before by a different doctor [David Mulder and Rea Brown] than Dr. [William] Meyers,” Holmgren said. “I don’t know if it will break down over time. There’s other players in other sports where it hasn’t happened. We’re going to get in and fix it.”

Gagne will have his rectus abdominis repaired on both sides. There’s no doubt about that surgery. The surgeries, if he has both, will be performed by William Meyers at Hahnemann University Hospital.

It’s the hernia surgery that is questionable.

“He will look to see laproscopically through his belly button about the two small hernias and repair those, as well,” Holmgren said. “We’re looking at six to eight weeks.”

Obviously, there is some doubt in everyone’s mind as to whether the hernias need surgical repair.

Old
11-02-2009, 06:26 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Gagne quotes:

http://blogs.courierpostonline.com/f...about-surgery/

Quote:
Simon Gagne

Q: Talk about the decision you made today…

“Well, after meeting with three doctors and a different opinion on a lot of things, we went right to the bottom [of it] to make sure we were making the right decision for myself, for the team and for the future, to go and do the surgery. So basically now we are going to go ahead and do the surgery and after that get on a program after the surgery to make sure those types of injuries don’t happen to me anymore.”

Q: You’re going to be out six to eight weeks, how disappointed are you to hear this news?

“It’s hard, it’s hard to take because surgery you usually try and stay away from during the season. The off-season is there for that. At the same time there’s never good timing in the season to have surgery, but it’s still early in the season. I’ll miss close to two months and I’ll have time to get back in shape and get my game back and feeling 100 percent when I’m skating. That’s something I wasn’t able to do right now. That’s why I think the decision was made to go ahead and do the surgery......

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 11-02-2009 at 06:31 PM.