HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Hudler Watch...

Old
11-01-2009, 09:38 AM
Heaton
#disapointment

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garl View Post
So what? He's willing to return when there will be a chance to make it to TOP 6.
That would've been this year. Who would be in his way? But he had to take the 10m, I'm not sure who would've turned it down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
The guy has great offensive instincts. I don't blame him one iota for feeling like he shouldn't have the spend the rest of his Wings career in Babs' dog house, and the third or fourth line-- while getting paid twice as much. This is really a No Brainer. Wings brass apparently agrees with him judging by their comments.
It'll be interesting to see what happens when his contract is up. He'll have his deal here and Babcock will in all likelihood still be the coach (I really don't think that is enough to keep him away, if it is he's dumb to sign the NHL contract). Unless the KHL folds I can't see him coming back if they're still doubling his salary there.

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2009, 03:39 PM
Schroedingers Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
That would've been this year. Who would be in his way? But he had to take the 10m, I'm not sure who would've turned it down.
Let's not gild the lily here...even if Hudler had stayed for this season, he would've been on the third-fourth line and Leino\Eaves\Abdelkader\Williams\Bertuzzi would've seen more top-six IT.

Hudler was never going to get a fair shot in Detroit and I never expected him to resign with Babcock as the coach.

Schroedingers Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2009, 03:50 PM
Heaton
#disapointment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schroedingers Cat View Post
Let's not gild the lily here...even if Hudler had stayed for this season, he would've been on the third-fourth line and Leino\Eaves\Abdelkader\Williams\Bertuzzi would've seen more top-six IT.

Hudler was never going to get a fair shot in Detroit and I never expected him to resign with Babcock as the coach.
Nah, I don't believe that. Everything was in place for him to be in the top 6. For one, one (or two) of Williams and Bertuzzi wouldn't have been signed. And Eaves has never played in the top 6 yet.

And Leino was just benched for not competing hard enough. Abdelkader? His only spot on the team is as a center, Hudler is a winger.

Hudler would be getting 15-16 minutes a night. We definitely miss his puck possession and offense.

You didn't really think that one out SC.

Old
11-01-2009, 06:41 PM
detredWINgs

Of course hes scoring. The kid has more talent than any of Filppula, Cleary, and Leino. You know, those guys that "if only they got the same amount of powerplay time as Hudler, they'd be scoring just as much..."?

Found this gem of a statement from Babcock:
Quote:
"It doesn't matter who we play with Leino, he scores," coach Mike Babcock said after a game in February.
Hindsight is 20/20, etc.

detredWINgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2009, 06:59 PM
detredWINgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
Nah, I don't believe that. Everything was in place for him to be in the top 6. For one, one (or two) of Williams and Bertuzzi wouldn't have been signed. And Eaves has never played in the top 6 yet.

And Leino was just benched for not competing hard enough. Abdelkader? His only spot on the team is as a center, Hudler is a winger.

Hudler would be getting 15-16 minutes a night. We definitely miss his puck possession and offense.

You didn't really think that one out SC.
Everything may have been in place for him to play in the top 6, but I think it had more to do with how the Wings valued Hudler. He scored 57 points in 13:40 per game and they were offering him a reported 2.0-2.5M for him. Meanwhile, Cleary got 2.8M after a 40 point campaign and Filppula got 3M after a 36 point campaign. I don't care how well Cleary and Filppula are defensively - theres only so much value that intangibles have, especially if they're coming at the hands of a player who has only proven hes capable of 40 points and barely 20 goals.

If you give Filppula 3M, you give Hudler 3M. If you pay Filppula for 40(36) points and a complete game, you can pay Hudler for 60(57) points and an offensive game. Thats the trade off you need to make, or else your player is going to become disenchanted.

Bottom line, Hudler knew if he was going to be retained, he was going to get top 6 minutes. And he knew if he was going to get top 6 minutes, he was going to get a few more points. And if he was going to get a few more points, he was going to be paid more than the Wings were offering him to do it. I'd have bolted to Russia, too, if the Wings essentially said "We'll give you the resources to score 60 points, and while that earns you 3-4M in this league, we want you to do it for 2.5M."

detredWINgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2009, 08:02 PM
Heaton
#disapointment

Quote:
Originally Posted by detredWINgs View Post
I'd have bolted to Russia, too, if the Wings essentially said "We'll give you the resources to score 60 points, and while that earns you 3-4M in this league, we want you to do it for 2.5M."
Me too. I'd have bolted even if the Wings were offering me 3.5m and I could get 10m untaxed in Russia.

Old
11-01-2009, 08:30 PM
r0bert8841

Send a message via AIM to r0bert8841
Quote:
Originally Posted by YaAnotherWingsFaN View Post
Thank you Heaton, exactly, to those that claim he didn't leave for the money but to get the chance to play first line mintues in the KHL, what do u think he would of done this year.... he would of played in the top 6 registering close too "1st line" min's plus the opportunity to prove that he was maybe worthy of not being in Babcocks so called doghouse(gee I wonder why he was there in the first place) and being a guy the team relied on too be a leader and put up top 6 worthy points.
Hudler will not get top 6 minutes on Detroit while Babcock is coach until A) he gets better defensively and tries hard on the forecheck B) gets stronger

He was in Babcock's doghouse for the 2 reasons I stated above.

Also their is a difference between being a first liner and getting top 6 minutes. Hudler stated he wanted to be on a team where he was in an important role. He would not be in that position in Detroit because no matter what he did offensively, he wouldn't get anywhere until he worked on his defense and got stronger which both still has a long way to go.

r0bert8841 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2009, 07:27 AM
lazerbullet

Babcock is a great coach, but I do have some problems with him. In my opinion he was too harsh with Hudler.

Guy was the most gifted forward on the team (not named Datsyuk and Zetterberg). And yet, one little defensive mistake and he was playing with Draper and Maltby.

Hudler is born to put up points. So let him do it. Every other forward could play defense, expect Homer and Hudler. So be it. Some guys will never play good defense. They are natural scorers. Drape, Maltby, Clearly, Fil are paid to play good defense. One reason is that they are not good enough to score many points. Unlike Hudler, who have produced on every level he has played.

And Fil was so misused last year also. Babs played Datsyuk and Zetterberg on different lines all season long. Despite that both had zero chemistry with Hossa. Why not to reunite the twins and put Fil and Hossa on the 2nd line? Fil gets plenty of top6 minutes, which should boost his development. Hossa could have been the man on that line, which should have suited him pretty well.

Datsyuk and Zetterberg started to develop into impact players only after Feds and Yzerman stepped aside. It's not like Datsyuk played on the 3rd and 4th line and then suddenly became a top 5 player in the league. Why not give Fil a bigger role last season? In the end Datsyuk got hurt and Fil had to fill a big void, when he wasn't probably 100% ready for this. A good year of development wasn't used to the max.

Oh and while I'm at it. If our defense sucks for the 2nd straight year, then maybe it's time shuffle some defensive pairings. It's not all about the goalies, if our defense makes million turnovers per game.

Last edited by lazerbullet: 11-02-2009 at 07:29 AM. Reason: sp
lazerbullet is offline   Reply With Quote