HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Parent out a minimum one week; Briere and Gagne updates

Old
11-02-2009, 11:33 AM
Kaktus*

vCash: 500
I am not surprised.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2009, 11:45 AM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstable View Post
I think we just hear about and focus on our own injuries more.
There is some truth to this. Puck Daddy just ran a column about how almost 20 percent of the league is injured right now. So, it's definitely affecting every team. However, I think it is the reputation that the Flyers have of bringing players back too soon that is most often criticized. It could also have something to do with how the team warms up and practices that could lead to some of these issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by song4thedeaf View Post
I honestly wanted to say top 5 but I didn't want to sound ridicolous...

I am not surprised by this at all....

WOW... something really needs to be done here.

Thanks!
A few teams have inflated stats, though. I mean, Rathje was an automatic 82 games, I believe. I'm not sure exactly how the stats were compiled or what resource was used to get them. To be honest, I'd like to see a list that only took top-9 fowards and top-4 defenseman into consideration along with goaltenders. I mean, most playoff teams don't have an issue plugging in players for the 4th line or 3rd pairing for a limited amount of time. It's the key player injuries that really hurt.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2009, 11:55 AM
Opus

vCash: 50
I dug this up from somewhere on the internet, it discusses injuries and whatnot, around the league...

Link

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2009, 12:09 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

I like Parent and all but he really needs to shut it down for more then a week. A week wasnt good enough before.
anyone who has had them knows that they can be a *****. With a nagging groin injury one week isnt enough IMO

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2009, 12:21 PM
Valhoun*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStevensDotCom View Post
I like Parent and all but he really needs to shut it down for more then a week. A week wasnt good enough before.
anyone who has had them knows that they can be a *****. With a nagging groin injury one week isnt enough IMO
Bill M. had a pretty critical take on the Flyers' response to injuries a few days ago. I mean, he's not just random internet poster *****ing. He knows what he's talking about.

Old
11-02-2009, 12:33 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
Bill M. had a pretty critical take on the Flyers' response to injuries a few days ago. I mean, he's not just random internet poster *****ing. He knows what he's talking about.
In all honesty I am suprised we havent heard more from the local media on this issue. Every year there seems to be something like this thats going on. Players get clearance to come back from injury too early. I know some of it does fall back on the player, but the medical staff can say no you arent ready cant they?

Old
11-02-2009, 12:40 PM
Valhoun*

Quote:
In all honesty I am suprised we havent heard more from the local media on this issue. Every year there seems to be something like this thats going on. Players get clearance to come back from injury too early. I know some of it does fall back on the player, but the medical staff can say no you arent ready cant they?
I don't think there are many good reasons to ever rush a player back from injury. In fact, if anything, it's far smarter to play it safe and force a player to take it easy when coming back from injury and keeping a player out of a few more games than is probably necessary. Quality teams can take the hit and still win. And teams that suck shouldn't risk the future of a good player that they'll need to build around.

Old
11-02-2009, 12:48 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
The biggest thing for me is that other teams don't seem to have this problem. It's not like it's only Flyers players who want to come back early if they're not 100%, pretty much every player in the league is probably like that.

That's my biggest problem with the "well Briere/Gagne/Parent have a responsibility not to come back too soon" argument. Then why the hell are we the only team who's had this problem for at least the past 5 years, probably more, who can forget the epic Simon Gagne groin saga of 02-03?

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2009, 12:50 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
I don't think there are many good reasons to ever rush a player back from injury. In fact, if anything, it's far smarter to play it safe and force a player to take it easy when coming back from injury and keeping a player out of a few more games than is probably necessary. Quality teams can take the hit and still win. And teams that suck shouldn't risk the future of a good player that they'll need to build around.
I totally agree. You dont need to show how "tough" you are by coming back from an injury too soon. You are only hurting your team and the team chemistry.
Wait until you feel and the medical staff feels you are at 100 percent, then wait another day or 2.
Did Stevens put Parent right on the 2nd line pairing before he got hurt again?

Old
11-03-2009, 01:34 PM
Heaton
#disapointment

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Is Briere expected to be back next game?

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2009, 01:47 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
Is Briere expected to be back next game?
I think he is a GTD right now.
But I am not 100 percent on this

Old
11-03-2009, 01:52 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
I think he is a GTD right now.
But I am not 100 percent on this
My understanding of the situation is doubtful for this weekend, but then we have another decently long break.

This weekend is back-to-back games.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 03:58 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1688
As of today, Briere and Parent are listed as doubtful for Friday. Emery is in net for that game. No word on goalies or returning players for the St. Louis game.

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote