HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

"That's Called a Winning Streak" - Halloween - Nashville vs. Dallas

Old
11-01-2009, 02:22 PM
Fortheloveofthegame

vCash: 500
[QUOTE=SLake;21904315]There were several times that he tried to carry the puck into the zone against the Dallas D standing up at the blueline that resulted in turnovers.

With Turco's puck-handling abilities and the organizational development of that skill in each of their goalies, Dallas is built to have their defense stand up at the blueline, force dump-ins, and then move into position to receive an outlet pass from their goalie to start the breakout.

One of the key tactical changes we did in the first period, but totally failed at in the second period was utilizing cross-corner and soft dump-ins to pin the puck into the corners, eliminate the goalie, and make the Dallas D go back and make the first pass. All night long, we were able to give them fits on the forecheck when we made the defensemen play the puck. We got away from that in the second period and Dallas got the better of play, we got back to that in the third period and were able to score a come from behind victory.

Getting the puck deep and placing it appropriately was a key factor in the game plan last night and really lead to our overall success...[/QUOTE]

Honestly, you are making a real stretch there. Other than the one play that, in the neutral zone and he was not carrying the puck ...there were no turn overs as a result of him carrying it. I actually wish he had the confidence to carry it more.
On another note, love the way Smithson is playing too

Fortheloveofthegame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2009, 02:38 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwhiteandblue View Post
Honestly, you are making a real stretch there. Other than the one play that, in the neutral zone and he was not carrying the puck ...there were no turn overs as a result of him carrying it. I actually wish he had the confidence to carry it more.
Yeah, that's right...Wilson is really dominating out there right now. He is a one-man wrecking machine without any flaws. The coaching staff is clearly holding him back.

Wilson, like many before him and many that will come after him, is facing some challenges. I have every confidence that he'll work though these challenges and become a better player for it. However, the coaching staff in the meantime is limiting his ice time to minimize those learning moments from having an effect on the whole team. I don't have a problem with that...

Quote:
On another note, love the way Smithson is playing too
Agreed, Smithson is playing excellent this season and is really growing into a leader. Jerred has no ego, knows his job, and plays every shift as if it may be his last. With the number of seasons he has been here, I really think he is knocking on he door of entering the "leadership group" that helps guide this team...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2009, 02:48 PM
Seth Lake

There is a quote painted on the wall in the Predators dressing room, "TEAM: Together Everyone Accomplishes More" that really sums up the Predators biggest asset last night - teamwork.

Team toughness was really on display last night in the first period when Smithson went after Fistric after he went head-hunting on Ward and then again in the third period when Hamhuis made a beeline for Morrow after he viciously cross-checked Hornqvist from behind after Patric put the Predators ahead 3-2.

Both times there was no hesitation. Smithson and Hamhuis saw a teammate get abused and weren't gonna let that go unnoticed. They did what needed to be done without an enforcer in the lineup and gave their team a spark.

Pretty much regardless of the penalties handed out as a result (and remember, neither Smithson or Hamhuis were gonna do anything stupid), the team as a whole was going to and did step up and kill those penalties. Those are the types of occasions that really bond a team and forge camaraderie.

I hope that this type of team toughness will continue throughout the season and allow us to play without an enforcer in our lineup in games that don't require one. Limiting one of those 18 roster spots to a one-dimensional player simply isn't a wise choice for our team...

Old
11-01-2009, 03:06 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webersmashpuck View Post
Klein's best game of the year, with Boullion he looks different. Hamhuis looks terrible still.
Fuuny, I thought Bouillon had a great game (especially covering that cross-crease pass on the 5 on 3 - breaking up at least two), however I felt that Klein had a very up and down type of game. He was late to react to Ott standing at the crease on the first goal against and then did nothing to make it difficult for Ott to bang home the rebound and struggled a little (along with the rest of the team) in the second period, before really having a great third period and scoring his first goal of the year to give the Preds a two-goal lead. Overall, Klein has been playing very well over the past few games and I think all we can do is hope it continues...

Hamhuis on the other hand played a similar up and down game, but overall was pretty solid IMO and the statistics prove it. Hamhuis finished with a team best +20 Corsi rating (30 shots for the Preds while Hamhuis was on the ice vs. 10 shots against) in 18:28 of ice time and finished with two assists on the night as well...

Old
11-01-2009, 04:02 PM
Fortheloveofthegame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Yeah, that's right...Wilson is really dominating out there right now. He is a one-man wrecking machine without any flaws. The coaching staff is clearly holding him back.
Quote:

Wilson, like many before him and many that will come after him, is facing some challenges. I have every confidence that he'll work though these challenges and become a better player for it. However, the coaching staff in the meantime is limiting his ice time to minimize those learning moments from having an effect on the whole team. I don't have a problem with that...

Agreed, Smithson is playing excellent this season and is really growing into a leader. Jerred has no ego, knows his job, and plays every shift as if it may be his last. With the number of seasons he has been here, I really think he is knocking on he door of entering the "leadership group" that helps guide this team...
We can end this now, at no time did I think Wilson was dominating out there, I was just pointing out I did not see him turn over a puck in the neutral zone during the game as you had stated.
Yes I agree he has some challenges that he will work through as well.

Fortheloveofthegame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2009, 11:54 PM
Seth Lake

Just how intimidating is Wade Belak???

He's so intimidating that he can make opposing goalies get "swine flu" before playing Nashvile...even if he is a scratch that night too!!!

http://scores.espn.go.com/nhl/boxscore?gameId=291031027

Scroll down and check out the scratches...

Old
11-02-2009, 03:45 AM
sparkle twin
Real Deal

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
After the way they played the second period I didn't think they would pull that out.

The 5-on-3 kill was huge, and a great job to hang in there when Smithson's stick broke.

Legwand, Santorelli with great screens for 2 goals.

The whole sequence for Hornqvist's goal was awesome. Auld made some great saves but Pred players just kept coming at him and the Stars were so worn down they couldn't contain guys for much longer. I don't know how Patrick managed to get all by himself next to the net and the puck just came right to him. And he calmly flipped the puck over Auld into the net....before a train crosschecked him.

Even at the end of the game Smithson was still going at it with Morrow. There was a scramble around Rinne, and Smithson hit Morrow in the back of the head and pushed his head down towards the ice while in the pile. Then Morrow came up and punched Smithson in the back of the head knocking Smithson's helmet off.

It was good to see the Preds really keep pushing. Instead of backing off once they had the lead they kept the pressure on a really tired Stars team and got the win.

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2009, 09:25 AM
Jonesey
Sons of Anarchy

Quote:
He's so intimidating that he can make opposing goalies get "swine flu" before playing Nashvile...even if he is a scratch that night too!!!

that is amazing..

Jonesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2009, 12:20 PM
jstreet
Smashville

vCash: 4050
Quote:

new game plan, Belak coughs on the goalie the night before the game

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2009, 02:50 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnlikestars View Post
I like this plan...

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2009, 03:14 PM
utmfisher19

Send a message via AIM to utmfisher19 Send a message via MSN to utmfisher19 Send a message via Yahoo to utmfisher19
Quote:
Fuuny, I thought Bouillon had a great game (especially covering that cross-crease pass on the 5 on 3 - breaking up at least two), however I felt that Klein had a very up and down type of game. He was late to react to Ott standing at the crease on the first goal against and then did nothing to make it difficult for Ott to bang home the rebound
I gotta disagree that Klein had any fault on that goal. Hamhuis went out and for some reason covered the guy on the half boards near the point leaving Klein all alone in the slot with 2 guys (and possibly 3) to cover. IMO, Hammer was out of position leaving Klein out to dry.

utmfisher19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2009, 03:15 PM
Soundgarden

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnlikestars View Post
It's better then him being on the ice.

Soundgarden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2009, 03:44 PM
nine_inch_fang

Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
Quote:
Originally Posted by utmfisher19 View Post
I gotta disagree that Klein had any fault on that goal. Hamhuis went out and for some reason covered the guy on the half boards near the point leaving Klein all alone in the slot with 2 guys (and possibly 3) to cover. IMO, Hammer was out of position leaving Klein out to dry.
Nah, they simply rotated because of the movement of the puck and the Stars' players after Klein rung the puck around the boards from behind the net. Hamhuis stepped out to challenge a loose puck and prevent #21 from walking off of the boards to get off an uncontested shot in the slot. Klein then took responsibility for the left D position in front of the net his only mistake was trying to help Rinne cover the puck instead of taking out Ott. Hamhuis came back into the crease and cleared #19 out so he couldn't get to the puck. A simple fundamental mistake by Klein of playing the puck not the man.

That and it was a PP goal so there will be an out numbered situation somewhere all of the time....that's the point.

nine_inch_fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2009, 04:51 PM
utmfisher19

Send a message via AIM to utmfisher19 Send a message via MSN to utmfisher19 Send a message via Yahoo to utmfisher19
Quote:
Originally Posted by nine_inch_fang View Post
Nah, they simply rotated because of the movement of the puck and the Stars' players after Klein rung the puck around the boards from behind the net. Hamhuis stepped out to challenge a loose puck and prevent #21 from walking off of the boards to get off an uncontested shot in the slot. Klein then took responsibility for the left D position in front of the net his only mistake was trying to help Rinne cover the puck instead of taking out Ott. Hamhuis came back into the crease and cleared #19 out so he couldn't get to the puck. A simple fundamental mistake by Klein of playing the puck not the man.

That and it was a PP goal so there will be an out numbered situation somewhere all of the time....that's the point.
fair enough... but Hamhuis was out above the face-off dot, right (memory was fuzzY)? I mean, if the point of the PP is that there is someone going to be open, wouldn't you rather have the guy up near the blue-line having an uncontested shot rather than allowing them to have a 2 on 1 down low with Klein being the "1"?

But then again, Hammer may have been covering for Smithson(? - maybe Ward?). I can't really remember. I just remember thinking at the time that Klein was left out to dry.

utmfisher19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2009, 05:06 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by utmfisher19 View Post
fair enough... but Hamhuis was out above the face-off dot, right (memory was fuzzY)? I mean, if the point of the PP is that there is someone going to be open, wouldn't you rather have the guy up near the blue-line having an uncontested shot rather than allowing them to have a 2 on 1 down low with Klein being the "1"?

But then again, Hammer may have been covering for Smithson(? - maybe Ward?). I can't really remember. I just remember thinking at the time that Klein was left out to dry.
It is part of the rotation and if Hamhuis doesn't come out to challenge the loose puck, then Eriksson walks in off the boards - taking the space that Hamhuis would have given him - and creates a 2 on 1 down low, which is more dangerous. It was simply part of the penalty killing rotation...

What I remember seeing live (and I didn't tape the game so I can't go back and look) was that Klein played the puck around the boards and then simply didn't recover to the front of the net. As soon as I saw him hesitate and Dallas recover the puck I knew that we were going to need a heck of a save by Rinne with no rebound because Ott was standing alone in front.

As NIF said, Klein did get there as Rinne made the first save, but then he tried to make a play on the puck, rather than tie up Ott who was free to make a play at the puck himself. Hamhuis tied up the other side of the net, but Klein went to Ott's right (net middle) and the puck squirted out to the left - leaving Ott as the only person able to reach it...

Overall though, Klein had a pretty good game otherwise...

Old
11-02-2009, 05:51 PM
nine_inch_fang

Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
Yeah Fish, Hamhuis was out pretty high trying to pick up the loose puck(top of the circle, got it recorded). It was kind of a damned if you do damned if you don't type situation but he did force the forward to drop the puck to the point man who Smithson had been covering. Like I said though to me it was just one of those things that happens while killing penalties, you get out manned start running around a little and openings are created...it happens.

If we can keep the G/A below 2 we'll be in good shape.

nine_inch_fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2009, 11:26 AM
DJB
Sens best prospect

Glad to see Hornqvist playing well for you guys. Just wondering how he has progressed since his draft year.

Is he playing in the top 6 and recieving pp time? Who is he mostly playing with? And who do you expect him to play with once Arnott returns?

Thanks!

DJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2009, 11:29 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeJong View Post
Glad to see Hornqvist playing well for you guys. Just wondering how he has progressed since his draft year.

Is he playing in the top 6 and recieving pp time? Who is he mostly playing with? And who do you expect him to play with once Arnott returns?

Thanks!
I'd say that overall, he's probably been one of our best 2 or 3 players this season,a nd his progress since last season is remarkable. He's getting PP time, and some top six time(the lines get juggled so much that it's hard to keep track). Just love his game, all around.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote