HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs interessted in Foppa?

Old
11-03-2009, 12:19 AM
Shabutie

vCash: 500
Habs interessted in Foppa?

Haven't seen this posted anywhere;

Quote:
According to the Philadelphia Daily News, Flyers scout Ilkka Sinisalo will head to Europe to watch Forsberg, who spent one and a half seasons with the Flyers.

While the Flyers denied having interest in Forsberg at the beginning of the season, the team has been battling injuries and might have had a chance of heart.

The Flyers won't be the only team in attendance, as representatives from the Washington Capitals, Colorado Avalanche and Montreal Canadiens are all rumored to be heading to Finland to watch the tournament.
link: http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/phi091102.html

I find it interesting... I know the guy has had injury problems but apparently he feels ready to play and 100% (which he hasn't felt for a long time). He had an unrelated injury a few weeks ago but it didn't keep him from playing too long. I would enjoy watching him play as perhaps our 2nd line C or LW.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2009, 12:32 AM
Horatio Caine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post

I find it interesting... I know the guy has had injury problems but apparently he feels ready to play and 100% (which he hasn't felt for a long time). He had an unrelated injury a few weeks ago but it didn't keep him from playing too long. I would enjoy watching him play as perhaps our 2nd line C or LW.
Honestly, I'd give it a shot. Also, maybe he can have a good influence over the young guys.

Foppa - Pleks - Tender

Media would be

Horatio Caine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2009, 12:42 AM
Stradale

I woulndt mind at all. Even if we see him in a Habs jersey for 10 games, it would still worth it for me.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2009, 12:52 AM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
I woulndt mind at all. Even if we see him in a Habs jersey for 10 games, it would still worth it for me.
It's the first time (as far as I'm aware) that Forsberg has said that he feels 100%. Even when he played with the avs (and recorded 14pts in 9games 2 seasons ago) he would always say that he felt good but not 100% and he even sat out a few games if I remember correctly.

If Forsberg can even play 40-50 games he'd greatly help us and I don't doubt that he could put up PPG.

Old
11-03-2009, 12:52 AM
mariolemieux66

Send a message via Skype™ to mariolemieux66
Cammalleri-Forsberg-Plekanec

mariolemieux66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2009, 12:53 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post

Foppa would make his line the 1st, not 2nd.
I mean, this guy healthy or not has only had one season where he averaged less than a 1pt/gp with 55pts in 57GP.
He's a first liner in the NHL with one foot.

His injury plagued career is a damn shame as he could have easily been the best player in the NHL. Having been a Qc fan for a big part of my childhood, I saw him play quite a lot. When healthy, he was definitely one of, if not the best player in the league.

I'd take a risk on Forsberg any day of the week. That's considering he doesn't expect a 5M paycheck.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2009, 12:53 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

My favourite player. I'd love to see him in a Habs jersey.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2009, 12:57 AM
TomPlex

Damn it... now I have to clean my screen!

TomPlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2009, 12:58 AM
Shabutie

With Markov on LTIR, we can afford to throw him around 3.5-4m right?

Old
11-03-2009, 01:02 AM
peperebougon*

where do I sign? Won't cost any asset! Manage his ice time wisely to minimise injuries (not play him against a goon team when we lead by four goals etc...). He could be the short term solution to the 2nd line problem and even if he is not, this team will need help when we make the playoffs (yes...we will)

peperebougon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2009, 01:04 AM
Jedrik

Kind of divided. Even if he's healthy I don't think we're near contention, in which case we're robbing some of the young guys of development.

Jedrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2009, 01:09 AM
Horatio Caine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedrik View Post
Kind of divided. Even if he's healthy I don't think we're near contention, in which case we're robbing some of the young guys of development.
You're right, except that none of the young player seize the opportunity of playing big minutes after 14 games. And, like I said at the beginning of this thread, he could help some of the young guys on and off the ice. If he's at 100%, we can give him a shot with a young player and Plekanec.

Horatio Caine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2009, 01:12 AM
Sebaldian

Quote:
Surely with a healthy Forsberg and Markov we'd be competing for a playoff spot, no?
Although I doubt he'd sign with a team that's competing for a playoff spot and not a legit contender.

Sebaldian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2009, 01:26 AM
Jedrik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Sheppards Pie View Post
You're right, except that none of the young player seize the opportunity of playing big minutes after 14 games. And, like I said at the beginning of this thread, he could help some of the young guys on and off the ice. If he's at 100%, we can give him a shot with a young player and Plekanec.
It means a permanent backseat for Andrei, most likely. Personally, I think it's early to give up on him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Black View Post
Surely with a healthy Forsberg and Markov we'd be competing for a playoff spot, no?
Although I doubt he'd sign with a team that's competing for a playoff spot and not a legit contender.
I think we're probably already a playoff calibre team with Markov/without Forsberg, or close to it. Maybe he gets us in but I don't see him being a missing piece for a serious run.

Old
11-03-2009, 01:30 AM
LyricalLyricist

I don't think he'd come cuz we're not a contender, but with him in, we can argue that.

Patches-Gomez-Gionta
Lapierre-Plek-Cam
Andrei-Forsberg-Latendresse
Moen-Metro-Chip/Laraque/Stewart/D'ags

When you shorten the bench

Cam-Gomez-Gionta
Forsberg-Plek-Andrei
Lats-Lapierre-Moen/Patches
Moen/Patches-Metro-ANYONE

Hell trade the kostitsyns + for kovalchuk at deadline and then we're scary(won't happen, but can dream)

Cam-Gomez-Gionta
Kovalchuk-Plek-Forsberg....wow

Droool. We're at .500 missing a guy like markov and O'byrne. Re-add them and add forsberg and that's some damage.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2009, 01:35 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
It means a permanent backseat for Andrei, most likely. Personally, I think it's early to give up on him.

I think we're probably already a playoff calibre team with Markov/without Forsberg, or close to it. Maybe he gets us in but I don't see him being a missing piece for a serious run.
I don't think we'll be playing the same way after 80ish games than we are now.
So who knows what will be our missing piece(s) come PO time.

One thing for sure, a healthy Forsberg will make you that much better.
He's a true superstar in every sense of the word. Add a superstar to any team and they'll improve drastically.
Add the fact that Markov who's arguably a superstar will eventually be returning as well.
I'm sure the return of O'Byrne will also be noticed if he performs as well as he started.

Just there you have two impact players on any team, add in an interesting prospect playing well, and that's quite a lot of improvements.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2009, 01:36 AM
Jedrik

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Droool. We're at .500 missing a guy like markov and O'byrne. Re-add them and add forsberg and that's some damage.
As much as I want to LOL, he was finally looking like a near-NHL defenseman before the injury.

Old
11-03-2009, 01:39 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
As much as I want to LOL, he was finally looking like a near-NHL defenseman before the injury.
He really was. Mind you his first year he was pretty decent but he came back this year with something to prove and he's a big guy who's pretty mobile. He realized he needs to use his body more and that was a great asset for us.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2009, 01:39 AM
keepcalmandbeninja

No one wants Forsberg more on this team than me, but I hate being a realist because there is absolutely no chance he will sign for us, he really wants to play for a contender, and I declare to all of you now if he does sign for us I will eat my hat, because trust hell will freeze over before Forsberg signs for the Montreal Canadiens...sadly...

keepcalmandbeninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2009, 01:44 AM
Jedrik

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
He really was. Mind you his first year he was pretty decent but he came back this year with something to prove and he's a big guy who's pretty mobile. He realized he needs to use his body more and that was a great asset for us.
Plus, I liked the pounding he put on Kaleta. Ok, it was preseason, but still. He's got a good attitude, but I have to admit, I thought he had career AHLer written all over his goofy 9-foot frame last year. Hopefully he doesn't miss a beat.

Old
11-03-2009, 01:57 AM
McNuts

lol @ the guy who said he'd try him on our 2nd line.

I don't see Forsberg coming to Montreal, but if he does and he's 100% then he'll be the best forward we have since Guy Lafleur, period. At 80% he's still good for 0.9 PPG and lots of powerplay points.

McNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2009, 02:02 AM
Adam91

As much as I would love too see it, it doesn't make sense from a salary cap sense. He wouldn't be able to play in back to back games and would really hamper us with the cap.

Adam91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2009, 02:02 AM
StlRams514

Send a message via MSN to StlRams514
Quote:
Originally Posted by pam19 View Post
Salary Cap?
Same with Flyers and Washington.

That leaves Colorado.
I think they have the greatest chances by far.
Especially with the season they had so far.
LTIR is beyond you, isn't it?
With Markov out for more than half the year, we can use at least half of his salary, I doubt Forsberg would be asking for more than 3 mil for a shot at an NHL team.

StlRams514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2009, 02:19 AM
FF de Mars

Colorado is the logical choice, but if we sign him, I'd be pretty happy.

FF de Mars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2009, 02:20 AM
Charlie Milles*
Uh... Go Canucks?

I don't see him signing in Montreal.

Charlie Milles* is offline   Reply With Quote