HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

2010 Philadelphia Phillies - Off-season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
11-03-2009, 10:58 AM
Opus

vCash: 50
2010 Philadelphia Phillies - Off-season Thread

Old
11-03-2009, 11:05 AM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to dbr2
First

Old
11-03-2009, 11:10 AM
IrishSniper87

Second

Old
11-03-2009, 11:13 AM
agrudez*

I had this all typed out and then it said the thread was closed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinerary View Post
Another eye witness stated that Hamel's rebuttal was: "What are you doing here? I thought you were in prison for domestic violence."

Then Chase Utley ***** slapped them both and was quoted as saying: "Try staring me down after I can't turn a difficult double play with a black eye you punk."

Cole did not mean that he wants to quit, he always makes dumb ass comments and then wonders why people don't like them. He is from California and does not understand the mentality here. He struggled this year because he spent all offseason making commercials and going to banquets. I think he learned from that mistake and will make sure to prepare for the upcoming seasons like a professional (and hopefully develop a cutter or sinker - **** that curveball, it is garbage).

Cole has shown flashes of brilliant pitching and long stretches of brutal pitching. In my opinion this should be how game 7 goes:

Cole starts on an EXTREMELY short leash. He is usually good for 1 turn of the lineup, so I expect him to go at least 2-3 innings. After that, though, the first time he gets in trouble I say yank him. He and Lidge have the tendency to make it pour when it starts to rain.
I say put Chan Ho in to get out of Hamel's jam and then pitch the next inning. Then go with Happ, but if he looks like the knee is still bothering him (which he did the last time he pitched) then we will have to get creative. Probably try and piece that inning together with Durbing for righties and Eyre for lefties. Then we go with Lee until his arm falls off. If he can't finish the game it is in Madson's hands - as scary as that sounds.

My prediction:

Cole for 3.2
Chan Ho for 1.1
Happ for 2
Lee for 2

oh and btw, we ARE winning game 6. Pedro on normal rest vs. Petitte on 3 days rest. We all saw how that messed up Burnett. I don't expect the same type of meltdown from Petitte, but he will not pitch more than 5 innings and we will get to him early. He is a control pitcher, and short rest ****s with your control.

Old
11-03-2009, 11:19 AM
Haute Couturier

Man I am trying not to get my hopes up because the odds still heavily favor the Yankees, but I think Pettitte on 3 days rest and Sabathia on 3 days rest for the 3rd appearance in this series plays into our hands. If the Phillies pitchers can hold the Yankees hitters at bay we can win this, but it's a tall order.

BTW Myers and the Phillies said his confrontation of Hamels was a (bad) joke.

Old
11-03-2009, 11:21 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by agrudez View Post
oh and btw, we ARE winning game 6. Pedro on normal rest vs. Petitte on 3 days rest. We all saw how that messed up Burnett. I don't expect the same type of meltdown from Petitte, but he will not pitch more than 5 innings and we will get to him early. He is a control pitcher, and short rest ****s with your control.
I will not be surpirsed if we get the better starting pitching in game 6, but Pedro can't go the distance. I love his guts, and I think being his last start he's going to pitch till his arm falls off, but I also think his arm is going to fall off in the middle of the 7th. That leaves CHP and someone else to get some outs, probably with out much of a cushion.

Old
11-03-2009, 11:45 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
Man I am trying not to get my hopes up because the odds still heavily favor the Yankees, but I think Pettitte on 3 days rest and Sabathia on 3 days rest for the 3rd appearance in this series plays into our hands. If the Phillies pitchers can hold the Yankees hitters at bay we can win this, but it's a tall order.

BTW Myers and the Phillies said his confrontation of Hamels was a (bad) joke.
Well, I honestly think it comes down to this: if we can get hot Ryan Howard for two games, we can win this series. If we don't, it's going to be nearly impossible to take two games from them in Yankee stadium.

Old
11-03-2009, 12:00 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Well, I honestly think it comes down to this: if we can get hot Ryan Howard for two games, we can win this series. If we don't, it's going to be nearly impossible to take two games from them in Yankee stadium.
I was thinking that because the Yankees will start pitching around Utley, but sadly I don't have faith in him getting back on track.

Who ever thought we'd be down in a series where Utley hit 5 bombs?

Old
11-03-2009, 12:07 PM
Jester

Quote:
I was thinking that because the Yankees will start pitching around Utley, but sadly I don't have faith in him getting back on track.

Who ever thought we'd be down in a series where Utley hit 5 bombs?
Runners on base, the lack thereof, has killed us.

I don't know that they'll pitch around Utley. Utley is getting pitches to hit because the Yankees decided they weren't going to let Howard beat 'em. Unfortunately for us, Howard remains a somewhat impatient hitter, and rather than letting them throw him pitches in the dirt and walk...he's been chasing a lot of bad breaking balls.

All that being said, Pettite made Utley, Howard, and Ibanez look stupid the other night for the most part...they need to adjust and get some hits off of him.

Old
11-03-2009, 12:15 PM
Terence Peterman

Andy Pettitte is not AJ Burnett. He most likely won't get tossed around like Burnett did. That's why everyone needs to stop talking about how they'd handle game 7. We're not even there yet (and, no, ending every post with "well win game 6 first and then we can really talk about this" isn't good enough).

Old
11-03-2009, 12:16 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:

I don't know that they'll pitch around Utley. Utley is getting pitches to hit because the Yankees decided they weren't going to let Howard beat 'em. Unfortunately for us, Howard remains a somewhat impatient hitter, and rather than letting them throw him pitches in the dirt and walk...he's been chasing a lot of bad breaking balls.

All that being said, Pettite made Utley, Howard, and Ibanez look stupid the other night for the most part...they need to adjust and get some hits off of him.
This is what about I'm most concerned. The adjustments the hitters have to make for Pettitte won't be as easy as the ones they made with Burnett.

Old
11-03-2009, 12:17 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:

It doesn't make sense for them to keep pitching to Utley when he has been killing them and Howard looks absolutely clueless at the plate.

They definitely need a better approach this time. I think this match up favors them and they should get Pettitte out of the game early.

Old
11-03-2009, 12:22 PM
Jester

Quote:
It doesn't make sense for them to keep pitching to Utley when he has been killing them and Howard looks absolutely clueless at the plate.
Alright, even in the best of times Howard doesn't look all that brilliant at the plate...he just pounds the ball. If you're the Yankees, you have two ways to go...start pitching around Utley and likely put him on (he'll take his walks), and then you're looking at going throw Howard (who was hot hot hot earlier in the playoffs) and Werth, who has also been hot in the playoffs.

Phils have a tough order...but I'd always look to pitch to them with as few runners on as possible, so that means that even though Howard has been struggling, I'm not going to give up on Utley. If there are runners on, you have to pitch to him...if there aren't, I'd play my odds on risking the one-run HR.

It's a tough call.

Quote:
They definitely need a better approach this time. I think this match up favors them and they should get Pettitte out of the game early.
Happily, they seemed to learn from last time a bit with Burnett...Game 2 was one of the more frustrating games I've watched in a while because they kept letting first pitch strike go by. When that pitch came to Utley last night, he deposited it.

Old
11-03-2009, 12:30 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
Andy Pettitte is not AJ Burnett. He most likely won't get tossed around like Burnett did. That's why everyone needs to stop talking about how they'd handle game 7. We're not even there yet (and, no, ending every post with "well win game 6 first and then we can really talk about this" isn't good enough).
He's not AJ, but he is coming off 3 days rest for the first time in years. Historically his numbers have not been very good when coming off of 3 days rest and add into the fact that he's much older now so this one could go into the Phillies favor. He didn't look sharp at all in the first couple of innings in his last start and was quoted as saying he had nothing. I really like the Phillies chances in this one.

Old
11-03-2009, 12:38 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
He's not AJ, but he is coming off 3 days rest for the first time in years. Historically his numbers have not been very good when coming off of 3 days rest and add into the fact that he's much older now so this one could go into the Phillies favor. He didn't look sharp at all in the first couple of innings in his last start and was quoted as saying he had nothing. I really like the Phillies chances in this one.
I don't mean to say I don't like the Phillies chance, but that a bunch of people already jumping to how they'd handle game 7 is ridiculous. Game 6 won't be a cakewalk early simply because it was in game 5 (even though there are circumstances which point to helping us with which I agree).

Old
11-03-2009, 12:56 PM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
Quote:
I don't mean to say I don't like the Phillies chance, but that a bunch of people already jumping to how they'd handle game 7 is ridiculous. Game 6 won't be a cakewalk early simply because it was in game 5 (even though there are circumstances which point to helping us with which I agree).
The only reason anyone is talking about game 7 is because its the unknown. We know Pedro is going tomorrow and we know the matchup and we know Pettitte is going on 3 days rest. What we dont know is what the hell we are going to do if we do happen to get through tomorrow night so obviously thats what people will talk about. its not that anyone is looking ahead but tomorrows game is already set, game 7 is where there is speculation on what will happen. There really isnt an option that is better or more likely than any other so of course there will be talk about it. We can only mention so much how Pettitte will react to 3 days rest or how Howard needs to hit a ball.

Old
11-03-2009, 01:03 PM
Jester

Quote:
We're trying to win the WS, right? Then you need to figure out how to win not just Game 6, but Game 7, too. Certainly Game 6 comes first, but if you win Game 6 and lose Game 7, the end result is the same.

Old
11-03-2009, 01:06 PM
TheDrizzle81

Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
eff all of u im 18th

Old
11-03-2009, 01:08 PM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Quote:
We're trying to win the WS, right? Then you need to figure out how to win not just Game 6, but Game 7, too. Certainly Game 6 comes first, but if you win Game 6 and lose Game 7, the end result is the same.
True and its also somethign the coaches have to consider as well. If Pedro cant get out of the 6th inning do they bring in Happ to finish the 6th and 7th and maybe the 8th or do they hold off on him and go with someone else because they want him to start game 7? Obviously you have to win game 6 to get to game 7 so if Happ is your best chance to win game 6 you take it but that leaves 1 less option if Hamels blows up early in game 7 and Lee can go more than a couple of innings.

Old
11-03-2009, 01:14 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonGoBoom View Post
True and its also somethign the coaches have to consider as well. If Pedro cant get out of the 6th inning do they bring in Happ to finish the 6th and 7th and maybe the 8th or do they hold off on him and go with someone else because they want him to start game 7? Obviously you have to win game 6 to get to game 7 so if Happ is your best chance to win game 6 you take it but that leaves 1 less option if Hamels blows up early in game 7 and Lee can go more than a couple of innings.
You bring in Happ, because you have to get to Game 7 for it to matter. However, they need to have all these contingencies worked out in advance of Game 6 starting. Manuel and co. cannot be sitting there figuring out who they want to go to in the 4th inning of Game 6.

Old
11-03-2009, 01:32 PM
Jester

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/playof...jim&id=4618544

Well, at least aggravation over Posada and his delays has gone national.

Old
11-03-2009, 01:32 PM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Quote:
You bring in Happ, because you have to get to Game 7 for it to matter. However, they need to have all these contingencies worked out in advance of Game 6 starting. Manuel and co. cannot be sitting there figuring out who they want to go to in the 4th inning of Game 6.
For sure. I'm sure they have gone over dozens of scenarios to figure out who they will use in what spot. Im sure they have said to themselves something like, if Pedro cannot get out of the 5th or 6th and we are losing or only up 3-4 runs we will go with Happ, but if we are up 5 or more runs we will go with a player X for X amount of innings followed by player Y or Z depending on where in the lineup the Yankees are etc. They have to plan for every situation so they dont make a boneheaded mistake and leave them no options for game 7. The last thing I was to see is them save someone for game 7 and then lose game 6 because of it but at the same time they have to be conscious about who they may use with a big lead as well.

Old
11-03-2009, 01:44 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Whats wrong with talking about strategy? This stuff needs to be figured out by the Phillies ahead of time, so why can't we discuss what we think about the situation?

Old
11-03-2009, 02:03 PM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 200
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
Quote:
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/playof...jim&id=4618544

Well, at least aggravation over Posada and his delays has gone national.
They really are incredibly annoying. Between the nonstop timeouts and complaints about pitches, I want to punch him.

Although all the Yankees ***** about pitches.

Old
11-03-2009, 02:04 PM
SolidSnakeUS

I might actually go to sleep early tonight since the game isn't on till tomorrow haha.

Closed Thread