Notices

Burns to Stay in Houston

Closed Thread

Old
12-06-2004, 12:47 PM
evegoe

vCash: 500
Burns to Stay in Houston

TSN is reporting that the Wild have a policy allowing players only a one year opportunity to play in the junior tournament.

Are they serious? When did this policy get implemented. I would think that playing in this tournament would be a huge growth opportunity for Brent. He'd get a chance to play in probably the best WJC tournmant in years. He'd also have the experience of being a leader for team Canada.

Seems odd to me.

Old
12-06-2004, 01:28 PM
Monkeypox

The Wild have an odd philosophy of player development period. Bring 18 year olds like Bouchard and Burns in to sit in the press box and collect millions? Dumb if you ask me. The lockout has had the odd benefit of giving both those guys meaningful ice time for a change. Burns will probably benefit just as much playing in Houston.

Old
12-06-2004, 02:31 PM
chaachie12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeypox
The Wild have an odd philosophy of player development period. Bring 18 year olds like Bouchard and Burns in to sit in the press box and collect millions? Dumb if you ask me. The lockout has had the odd benefit of giving both those guys meaningful ice time for a change. Burns will probably benefit just as much playing in Houston.
Couldn't agree more...I don't understand it, but whatever. I agree that Burns is gaining more by playing in Houston. I don't think you can look down on the Wild for doing that, but it "outside the box" that is for sure.

Old
12-06-2004, 03:57 PM
Wild Bill

The Wild have definitley had their "own" approach to developing...hard to argue with them at this point. Seems like they like to bring them along mentally first (being around the team, practicing with them, introducing them to the overall environment of the NHL, etc.), before working them into the physical side of pro hockey.

As far as Burns not playing in the World Juniors...woulda been cool to see him up against players of similiar age, talent and expectations and be able to grade him as such, but oh well. This is what he is getting paid to do, play for Houston (Wild if possible).

Old
12-06-2004, 04:17 PM
JeSuisReine

I don't think Burns would have made the team this year anyway. There are a lot of good defensive prospects for canada, and I don't mean this as a knock on Burns...but there just are better choices than him. I think its good that he isn't wasting anyone's time by going to the camp. Its better for Burns, in my opinion, for him to just stay in Houston, and continue to develope there.

Old
12-06-2004, 07:13 PM
ceber

Quote:
Originally Posted by evegoe
Are they serious? When did this policy get implemented. I would think that playing in this tournament would be a huge growth opportunity for Brent. He'd get a chance to play in probably the best WJC tournmant in years. He'd also have the experience of being a leader for team Canada.

Seems odd to me.
I'd say last year's WJC was his opportunity to play with those kids. I'm not convinced it's much of a growth opportunity, and I'm not surprised they don't want him to go this year. Schultz got one year, Bouchard got one year, Burns gets one year.

I tried to make this point on the prospects board and generally failed, but the team doesn't pay him to play in amateur tournaments. He's gone pro now, it's time to go to work every day. Admittedly, it was nice for the kids to let them go once. It made for good memories for them, and it probably didn't hurt their development. I doubt it did much good though, apart from possibly a confidence boost. I'd argue that just keeping an NHL schedule and practicing with grownups does more for them than playing with kids not good enough to have pro contracts yet, but I'd probably ruffle too many feathers if I said that.

Closed Thread