Old
11-04-2009, 07:03 AM
Gee Wally
Retired

vCash: 50
Awards:
November 4

Nothing doing for Bruins again
“We hit some posts and missed some great opportunities tonight,’’ said coach Claude Julien after the Bruins’ 2-0 loss, the second straight time his team has been blanked. “Somehow you’re going to have to make it happen if you want to turn this thing around. Simple as that. It’s up to us to decide how tired we are of losing games that we hear we’re playing OK in and do something about it.’’

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/...ut_out_bruins/

Honeymoon’s over, but Eaves still happy

The three-year Boston College star was on his honeymoon with wife Katie in Bora Bora. He was still a member of the Hurricanes, who had acquired him from Ottawa with Joe Corvo for Mike Commodore and Cory Stillman on Feb. 11, 2008. In May, Eaves and the Hurricanes had upset the Bruins in the second round of the 2008-09 playoffs.
http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/...ith_red_wings/

Bruins draw a blank
The Bruins had ample chances last night, including two solid post shots, but they continued to fire blanks and were stymied by Chris Osgood and the Red Wings, 2-0.

The effort was there, but the puck would not go in and the B’s were shut out for a second straight game.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/h...rts&position=2

Saving talk of Olympics
DETROIT - Some critics already have written off Tim Thomas [stats] as the starting goalie for Team USA at the upcoming Vancouver Olympics, concluding that the Yanks will go with either Craig Anderson of Colorado or Buffalo’s Ryan Miller.

Both certainly have had better starts than Thomas, but the B’s star doubts any decisions have been made yet by the USA staff.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/h...&position=also

A salute to B's vet Recchi
Available, insightful, and fun to be around, Recchi simply is a good guy. You can feel that goodness when he talks about his 21 years in The Show.

“I’m proud to say I was able to play this long,” he said. “It’s been neat to be part of the process, as the game has changed quite a bit.”

http://www.hockeyjournal.com/Article.php?ArtID=829746

Bruins continue to come up short on offense
The timing is simply too coated in irony to ignore.

The Bruins dropped another game to the Detroit Red Wings by a 2-0 score and lost two straight games for the first time this season in the process, and haven’t scored a goal in exactly 132:58 and counting. Once again they completely whiffed with an 0-for-3 on the power play — which drops them to 0-for-their-last-17 power play chances — and couldn’t muster up any notable offense over the course of the game aside from a pair of early Marco Sturm opportunities and a few post-worthy bids.

http://bigbadblog.weei.com/

BOSTON STRONG !!!
Gee Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 07:48 AM
stick9

vCash: 500
Quote:
“We hit some posts and missed some great opportunities tonight,’’ said coach Claude Julien after the Bruins’ 2-0 loss, the second straight time his team has been blanked. “Somehow you’re going to have to make it happen if you want to turn this thing around. Simple as that. It’s up to us to decide how tired we are of losing games that we hear we’re playing OK in and do something about it.’’
CJ needs to look in the mirror. Ten minutes left in the 3rd down by two and he's still rolling four lines. Whitfield should have never seen 3rd period ice. CJ should have been mixing, matching, and double shifting guys in the last 10 minutes, not dividing up ice time or sending messages.

I don't care how good you play and how many posts you hit. One goal and 133+ minutes of goalless hockey in the last three games is dreadful. That's the reality of it.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 07:59 AM
DOGSTARMAN

Next steps.

1. "Players only meeting"

2. Quotes such as "we've met and talked and met and talked and now we have to go out and do it."

3. "Team retreat" to some sunny/warm place during an extended break to bond.

4. "Julien is safe" quotes from Chiarelli.

5. "It's only 25 games!!!!" quotes here at HF Boards.

DOGSTARMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 08:03 AM
ksp1957

vCash: 361
Send a message via AIM to ksp1957
The thing that really bugs me is that Montreal finished first in the conference in 07-08 only to prove it a fluke the next season. We finish first in the conference in 08-09. Are we going to prove our first place conference finish to be a fluke too ?

ksp1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 08:11 AM
DOGSTARMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksp1957 View Post
The thing that really bugs me is that Montreal finished first in the conference in 07-08 only to prove it a fluke the next season. We finish first in the conference in 08-09. Are we going to prove our first place conference finish to be a fluke too ?
I don't think it was a fluke.

It's just not the same team. Literally. Quite a few guys left and at this point many new faces are playing. Last November to this November has seen quite a bit of turnover. Add in the injury bug. Voila. Different team. Whether they can play at the same level - who knows

Old
11-04-2009, 08:14 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
I don`t think so ksp, nor do I or did I think anything resembling a repeat of last years results would happen.

I think our boys will round into form soon, indications of them playing far more solid defensively tells me they are certainly on the right track. Obviously goal scoring and the PP is an issue right now, lots of guys doing the old "gripping their sticks" routine but I believe they will fight their way out of this too.

This is still very much a deep 4 line team, we`ve got some callups out there doing a decent job in the absence of a 90pt guy and a physical leader out, my hope was they could play .500 in their absence, re-establish their committment defensively, which they have, and the rest will work out.

I also believe this slow/inconsisten start is a blessing in disguise, I think it will make them hungrier, and I am more comfortable with this group playing from a position of "sort of underdog", terribly poor wording but too early for something more thought provoking at this point.

I predict we will finish 4th in the Conference behind the Pens/Caps/Flyers, and I am OK with that. Our boys are a 3/4 game mini win streak away from being right in the "thick of things".

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 08:48 AM
FutureConsiderations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Eye View Post
Next steps.

1. "Players only meeting"

2. Quotes such as "we've met and talked and met and talked and now we have to go out and do it."

3. "Team retreat" to some sunny/warm place during an extended break to bond.

4. "Julien is safe" quotes from Chiarelli.

5. "It's only 25 games!!!!" quotes here at HF Boards.
No way. Those are signs of a failing blueprint.

This is a team in need of a finisher and its #1 center/#1 LW.

FutureConsiderations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 09:01 AM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureConsiderations View Post
No way. Those are signs of a failing blueprint.

This is a team in need of a finisher and its #1 center/#1 LW.
I haven't been impressed with CJ's comments so far, after crappy efforts and such. They're eerily reminiscent to Lewis' "we just need to find our mojo" comments.

Be proactive, don't be shy, call some people out, demand better.

Kaoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 09:05 AM
FutureConsiderations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post
I haven't been impressed with CJ's comments so far, after crappy efforts and such. They're eerily reminiscent to Lewis' "we just need to find our mojo" comments.

Julien: Chara Can Be Better

He knows who he can push by saying things to the media and calling them out. He also knows which guys are just not going to get it done at all (Sturm, Recchi).

Old
11-04-2009, 09:09 AM
stick9

Quote:

I agree with you. You'd think he'd be a bit more animated after back to back shut out losses.

Old
11-04-2009, 09:16 AM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureConsiderations View Post
Julien: Chara Can Be Better

He knows who he can push by saying things to the media and calling them out. He also knows which guys are just not going to get it done at all (Sturm, Recchi).
He didn't call out Chara, he didn't demand better from him... he praised him for trying to correct issues with his game. And Z isn't the issue, he's one of the hardest working players we have, and is likely the last guy that needs to be called out.

Why not call out the offense, guys like Sturm, Ryder, Recchi ... I don't get what you mean when you say "they aren't going to get it done at all". You mean just let them suck, cause they're going to anyway?

Kaoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 09:20 AM
DOGSTARMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick9 View Post
I agree with you. You'd think he'd be a bit more animated after back to back shut out losses.
As much as I'm frustrated, I really don't put the problems on Julien's doorstep. He didn't change from "coach of the year" a few months ago to a bum. He can't turn ***** into gold. If there's some blame to assign, most of it probably goes to Chiarelli for his roster building since the end of last year. The jury is out on that and the injury problems make it very hard and premature to fairly judge. But is it not much more likely that Coach has not been given the right groceries by the GM rather than it being a matter of Coach having forgotten how to cook?

I would not be swayed by a rabid performance from Julien after the losses. It really doesn't matter if he conveys his disappointment as a calm adult instead of as a frothing fool. We've already got a Mike Milbury in the studio.

Old
11-04-2009, 10:12 AM
FutureConsiderations

Quote:
He didn't call out Chara, he didn't demand better from him... he praised him for trying to correct issues with his game. And Z isn't the issue, he's one of the hardest working players we have, and is likely the last guy that needs to be called out.

Why not call out the offense, guys like Sturm, Ryder, Recchi ... I don't get what you mean when you say "they aren't going to get it done at all". You mean just let them suck, cause they're going to anyway?
Well that's kind of the point. Sturm has never responded to anything. I don't remember him ever being called out, but he's just a streaky 25-28 goal scorer and that's all: he'll score when he feels like scoring.

Ryder and Julien go way back, so I think Claude knows how to motivated him and if he felt like that was the way to do it, he'd do it.

Recchi has been around long enough to know how to get back on track, but it just looks like his skating isn't anywhere near what it was last year (and it still wasn't impressive then).

Old
11-04-2009, 10:12 AM
stick9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Eye View Post
As much as I'm frustrated, I really don't put the problems on Julien's doorstep. He didn't change from "coach of the year" a few months ago to a bum. He can't turn ***** into gold. If there's some blame to assign, most of it probably goes to Chiarelli for his roster building since the end of last year. The jury is out on that and the injury problems make it very hard and premature to fairly judge. But is it not much more likely that Coach has not been given the right groceries by the GM rather than it being a matter of Coach having forgotten how to cook?

I would not be swayed by a rabid performance from Julien after the losses. It really doesn't matter if he conveys his disappointment as a calm adult instead of as a frothing fool. We've already got a Mike Milbury in the studio.
When your down by a goal or two and the coach continues to throw out his 4th line. He's earned some criticism.

Old
11-04-2009, 10:19 AM
DOGSTARMAN

Quote:
When your down by a goal or two and the coach continues to throw out his 4th line. He's earned some criticism.
Mebbe. But when the 1st, 2nd, 3rd "scoring" lines can't buy a goal, does it really matter? Probabilistically it may not seem like a good idea. In practice though?

Old
11-04-2009, 10:40 AM
4ORRBRUIN

Quote:
When he keeps rolling out Recchi pp after pp that says it all to me. Recchi should be a forth linner/healthy scatch.

Never mind the first pp unit. Please spare me the "he goes to the dirty areas". I wish he would go on waivers! The guys kills rushes up the ice,can't pass and he is to slow to forcheck. And has anyone else notice how short his shifts are compared to his line- mates?

Does this affect the flow of two lines due to him being out of gas 20 seconds into shifts?

Or am I reaching here because I will admit I don't care for the player (never did)..

4ORRBRUIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 11:10 AM
stick9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ORRBRUIN View Post
When he keeps rolling out Recchi pp after pp that says it all to me. Recchi should be a forth linner/healthy scatch.

Never mind the first pp unit. Please spare me the "he goes to the dirty areas". I wish he would go on waivers! The guys kills rushes up the ice,can't pass and he is to slow to forcheck. And has anyone else notice how short his shifts are compared to his line- mates?

Does this affect the flow of two lines due to him being out of gas 20 seconds into shifts?

Or am I reaching here because I will admit I don't care for the player (never did)..
Recchi was a great pick up last year. Bringing him back this year probably wasn't the best move.

Same goes Begin. Too many plumbers and not enough engineers.

Old
11-04-2009, 11:42 AM
ksp1957

vCash: 361
Send a message via AIM to ksp1957
Quote:

And THAT major league pisses me off big time. This team LOOKS like Dave Lewis' Bruins game after game and I'm getting sick of watching them. If they get waxed tomorrow night, it's going to be unpleasant to watch and even more unpleasant to post on here if you know what I mean.

ksp1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 11:54 AM
cat400

Quote:
The Habs season was derailed by key injuries, goaltending and off ice issues surrounding the Kos. Brothers, Price & their dubious friends.

The Bruins so far have the key injuries, the fallout from the NHLPA / Ference debacle and ????

The parity in the cap league is very close and it only takes a couple of key injuries & / or inflated contracts to a couple of underperforming players to turn an up and coming team into a non-play-off contender.

cat400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 12:48 PM
Dicky113

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ORRBRUIN View Post

I can't believe that Recchi's poor performance still surprises people. Wasn't he waived by Pitt 2 years ago and expected to retire then? He's should have gone the way of Gary Roberts a LONG time ago.

Dicky113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 12:59 PM
TwineTickler
TheUltimateBruin

Quote:
CJ needs to look in the mirror. Ten minutes left in the 3rd down by two and he's still rolling four lines. Whitfield should have never seen 3rd period ice. CJ should have been mixing, matching, and double shifting guys in the last 10 minutes, not dividing up ice time or sending messages.

I don't care how good you play and how many posts you hit. One goal and 133+ minutes of goalless hockey in the last three games is dreadful. That's the reality of it.
Agreed. Even though Thornton and Begin bring effort, and Thornton actually had a decent chance last night, they should see limited ice time in the 3rd when down by 2.

TwineTickler is offline   Reply With Quote