HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Disinfecting Gear

Old
11-04-2009, 09:24 AM
Ti-girl

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Ti-girl Send a message via Yahoo to Ti-girl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Predanerd View Post
Skates too? I wanted to do that to my skates but wasn't sure if I could
Nah, I just spray the inside with rubbing alcohol/water mixture. Though I have the RBK 9K skates and they're anti bacterial.

11-04-2009, 10:01 AM
Ragss

I am a freak of nature. I have no body odour, and my gear does not smell. Ever. At worst it will smell a little musty if I don't let it dry out. I don't even wear deoderant. I've used my goalie C/A about 10 times now and it still smells like brand new.

That being said...maybe I should get some disinfectant anyways.

Ragss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 11:13 AM
gintonic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsFan38 View Post
I'm a chick, so no girlfriend and no complaints

Now that brings up an interesting angle to this topic, I've never known any females to stink like men, so does hockey equipment used by females even smell bad?

gintonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 01:16 PM
pfloyd75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragss View Post
I've used my goalie C/A about 10 times now and it still smells like brand new..
My gear never stinks at all for the first several months, but it builds after some time. Let us know how your CA smells after you've worn it for a couple of seasons.

pfloyd75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 01:35 PM
pike51

Send a message via Yahoo to pike51
I keep dryer sheets in my bag and put them in my gloves and skates after games. I also rub mint shaving cream on my hands before games to keep them from getting the glove stink! I have about an hour and 1/2 ride home from the rink so I unload as soon as I get home and lay everything out. A good spray of febreeze over everything. The elbow pads and knee pad inserts get washed every time with my jerseys,socks, etc.

I just bought a new, oversized LG washer with a sanitize feature. I can fit everything in there so once a month, I wash everything (except skates and helmet). Works great!!

pike51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 02:30 PM
rinkrat22

Quote:
Originally Posted by gintonic View Post
Now that brings up an interesting angle to this topic, I've never known any females to stink like men, so does hockey equipment used by females even smell bad?
hell yeah it does... My 12 y/o daughters gear smells horrible.

rinkrat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 03:48 PM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
I have smelt chicks gear that is worse then dudes.

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 06:41 PM
DevilsFan38

Quote:
Yes.

Mine isn't as bad as my male teammates, but I also don't leave it in my hockey bag in my trunk for weeks at a time like some of them do.

DevilsFan38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 10:38 PM
Schenn Him

Quote:
My dad always got penalty box duty for mine and my brother's games. He said girls smelled worse.

Schenn Him is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 10:46 PM
dick341

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elshupacabra View Post
A few weeks ago my friend got MRSA. He could have picked it up just about anywhere obviously but we were at the rink right around the time that stuff started popping up and knowing how locker rooms can be, I'd probably be pretty safe in saying that there is a good chance he got it there.

It looked like it sucked quite a bit for him so I've kinda been paying a little more attention as far as cleanliness goes. I play in a men's league once a week so I don't spend a ton of time there but still, neither does he. So I've been spraying all my gear down with Lysol after every game and I haven't seen any ill effects yet but I don't really want to come to find out that it makes all my gear break down 200% faster or something like that.

Does this sound like a good course of action or is there a better way to go about it?
I use Lysol after every game and it is wonderful. My gear always smells fresh and it seems like, when i play tournaments and spray my gear down after every game, it dries faster.

dick341 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 01:58 AM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBacon View Post
I have smelt chicks gear that is worse then dudes.
I'll chime in on this. At college hockey games, I can smell the gear from several rows back when the women come close to the boards. Not so much with the men's team.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 02:23 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I use a Shock Doctor bag, run it three times after every game, that dries it out. I also spray it with alcohol and/or Febreze occasionally. I wash every few months with Arm & Hammer with Oxyclean detergent...that helps for a bit.

On my gloves, I rub a little shaving cream with lanolin into the palms every so often.

Drying right after use is key. If you miss it once, your gear seems to stink for life.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 02:24 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I use a Shock Doctor bag, run it three times after every game, that dries it out. I also spray it with alcohol and/or Febreze occasionally. I wash every few months with Arm & Hammer with Oxyclean detergent...that helps for a bit.

On my gloves, I rub a little shaving cream with lanolin into the palms every so often.

Drying right after use is key. If you miss it once, your gear seems to stink for life.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote