HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs lose 5-4

Old
11-04-2009, 07:58 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chfan View Post
Therrien is brutal...Like really.
Therrien can't even keep a job in junior but he's some kind of hockey genius

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 08:01 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Sorry, meant to say full season. Whatever. And if you just want throw around stats like number of wins, how about win percentage, GAA, and sv pct. Pretty sure Martin's numbers by 22 beat all of Carey's AND he had beaten out a veteran (in his late 20s anyway) Terreri with over 200 games played for the starting position (hence he was dealt, to the Sharks I think, very soon after).
Price's first season with 41 starts at age 20 went 24-12-4 2,30 and 9,20
Brodeur's first season with 48 starts at age 21-22, went 27-11-8-3 2,40 and 9,15.

Despite having Stevens and Neidermayer on defense, Brodeur had worst stats the following season at age 22-23 and had constistency issues. Went 19-11-6-3 with a ,905 and 2,44. But the Devils of that season weren't the Habs Price had last season and this season, especially not on defense. They went on to win the cup, not have its goalie injured in half season, their best centerman out for the rest of the season, and their two best D on offense to get injured just before the playoffs. Point is, Price had shown has much consistency as Brodeur in their respective first seasons, and had some troubles the following season, only Brodeur had a better team to overcome the obstacles.

As for kicking out a veteran goalie... hmm, doesn't HUET ring any bells???

Quote:
Carey hasn't beaten out a 24 year old Halak with around 60 NHL games to his credit. You tell ME who proved their consistency first.
Huh?? Halak couldn't kick out Huet when he was the age Price is at right now. It had to take Price's consistent play in his rookie season to kick out Huet.

Price went 40-14-10 in his 66 first starts with a GAA of 2,30 and save% of 9,20?!?!? Until half of last season, just before the team fell, Price had shown much much more consistency than Halak ever did in his whole career up to this point. He just played his 64th game, and his career stats are 35-23-6 with ,912 and 2,81.

Compare that to Price before the entire team fell, before he got his first true injury.

This is definitely Halak's time to shine, he has no choice, but don't think this bad sequence of Price is the norm, when he's proven quite otherwise in the past.

Quote:
And I didn't mean to really comment on the Fleury part of that guy's post, but Fleury was only "bad" in his first partial year and first full year in the league (his team, minus Crosby, played even worse). His second full season (i.e. when he was 22, like we're discussing) was much better, earned him almost 70 starts (more importantly to this discussion, 40 wins) and his team had an almost 0.700 winning percentage with him between the pipes.
Yeah, but he had a save% of ,905 and a GAA of 2,81. He had consistency issues still then. His team had to outscore opponents. Price in his first 66 games had better GAA, better save%, and his win% was at ,733. And that was between the age of 20 and 21. Fleury's rookie season isn't even comparable to Price. Fleury started to have good stats goalie-wise, not win-wise, at the age of 23 in the 2007-2008 season when he had similar stats to Price's first 66 games, with a GAA of 2,33 and save% of ,921. All the seasons before that, even the one where Fleury got 40 wins, there where always questions of lack of consistency revolving around him, and anyone could damn well see it in his play at the time, and I'm sure a lot of HFers remember this very well.

Quote:
I think all questions of who their #1 goalie for the future would be were erased by that point.
Hmm, no. He actually was injured the following season, and had troubles when he came back, that's when Sabourin was goaling a lot. Sounds familiar? Then Fleury had trouble last season when Gonchar wasn't in the lineup, sounds familiar??

Quote:
And I don't mind that you, and others, are baiting me into what would appear to be Price hate. This kind of post is more fun to compose than "Agreed." or "This." posts anyways. But not as much fun as my Jekyl side which used to throw my Price love down Bruins fans' throats. Oh how quickly this board forgets.
Problem is, you seem to have a negative bias towards Price, and use weak comparisons to try and prove your point.

Last edited by Ozymandias: 11-04-2009 at 08:11 AM.
Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 08:09 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Brodeur's first season with 48 starts at age 21-22, went 27-11-8-3 2,40 and 9,15.

Despite having Stevens and Neidermayer on defense, Brodeur had worst stats the following season at age 22-23 and had constistency issues. Went 19-11-6-3 with a ,905 and 2,44. But the Devils of that season weren't the Habs Price had last season and this season, especially not on defense. They went on to win the cup, not have its goalie injured in half season, their best centerman out for the rest of the season, and their two best D on offense to get injured just before the playoffs. Point is, Price had shown has much consistency as Brodeur in their respective first seasons, and had some troubles the following season, only Brodeur had a better team to overcome the obstacles.

Huh?? Halak couldn't kick out Huet when he was the age Price is at right now. It had to take Price's consistent play in his rookie season to kick out Huet.

Price went 40-14-10 in his 66 first starts with a GAA of 2,30 and save% of 9,20?!?!? Until half of last season, just before the team fell, Price had shown much much more consistency than Halak ever did in his whole career up to this point. He just played his 64th game, and his career stats are 35-23-6 with ,912 and 2,81.

Compare that to Price before the entire team fell, before he got his first true injury.

This is definitely Halak's time to shine, he has no choice, but don't think this bad sequence of Price is the norm, when he's proven quite otherwise in the past.

Yeah, but he had a save% of ,905 and a GAA of 2,81. He had consistency issues still then. Price in his first 66 games had better GAA, better save%, and his win% was at ,733. And that was between the age of 20 and 21. Fleury's rookie season isn't even comparable to Price. Fleury started to have good stats goalie-wise, not win-wise, at the age of 23 in the 2007-2008 season when he had similar stats to Price's first 66 games, with a GAA of 2,33 and save% of ,921. All the seasons before that, even the one where Fleury got 40 wins, there where always questions of lack of consistency revolving around him, and anyone could damn well see it in his play at the time.

Hmm, no. He actually was injured the following season, and had troubles when he came back, that's when Sabourin was goaling a lot. Sounds familiar? Then Fleury had trouble last season when Gonchar wasn't in the lineup, sounds familiar??

Problem is, you seem to have a negative bias towards Price, and use weak comparisons to try and prove your point.
Great post Ozz, but give it up, you won't change their one track minds !

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 09:27 AM
Jean Beliveau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
It's not being asleep at the switch, it's called a SALARY CAP, maybe you should read up on it.
Trades or aquisitions can still be made. This is a weak excuse on your part.

Jean Beliveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 09:33 AM
The n00b King
Kingin' since 2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean Beliveau View Post
Trades or aquisitions can still be made. This is a weak excuse on your part.
hmmm maybe you think that it's as easy a butter to make trades today?

It's not, obviously. Otherwise there would be more of them.

The fact is, you need a dancing partner. This dancing partnet needs to either have the cap space to receive salary dumping, or is willing to trade cheap (like dirt cheap) young guys. And considering how reluctant we are about our young guns, i imagine that its the same for every other team out there.

So no, it's not that easy. Quit thinking it is because you're just gonna frustrate yourself.

The n00b King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 09:33 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post

Yeah, but he had a save% of ,905 and a GAA of 2,81. He had consistency issues still then. His team had to outscore opponents. Price in his first 66 games had better GAA, better save%, and his win% was at ,733. And that was between the age of 20 and 21. Fleury's rookie season isn't even comparable to Price. Fleury started to have good stats goalie-wise, not win-wise, at the age of 23 in the 2007-2008 season when he had similar stats to Price's first 66 games, with a GAA of 2,33 and save% of ,921. All the seasons before that, even the one where Fleury got 40 wins, there where always questions of lack of consistency revolving around him, and anyone could damn well see it in his play at the time, and I'm sure a lot of HFers remember this very well.

And you keep using rookie years and seasons age 23-onward where I clearly state "at that point" (meaning by age 22, like the original post I responded to). And Huet had all of 50 NHL games before joining the Habs. Who's using weak comparisons now? And this all has nothing to do with Halak, nor his play, so I couldn't care less if he "wasn't able" to push Huet down the depth chart at the time.

As far as "lots of HFers remember this well" and "anyone damn well seeing" lack of consistency in Fleury, I think you're not only exaggerating, but giving the HF community too much credit on the analytical and memory fronts. Fleury faced a lot of rubber that year (almost 2000 shots, 6th behind 3 guys who played well over 70 games), and still kept a lot of Ws on the board. Only 5 losses in regulation after Christmas, in fact. Aside from a few bad games (after which most of the vaunted "HF community" will predictably engage in knee-jerk over-reactions), Fleury did a beyond decent job of keeping the puck out of the net 5-on-5 (like you're supposed to... or are we holding no chance to save PP goals against Fleury and not Price now?).

Furthermore, where have I ever implied that this is Carey's "norm"? I'm on record in countless threads stating otherwise, in fact. I'm usually among his strong supporters, but I don't hold him on a pedestal above criticism. I'm commenting on his consistency, not his talent or potential. Fact is, Price had a really good 40 games as a rookie, and a good start to 08/09, but was lit up in the second half of last year (for a multiple of reasons, I think we all understand), even worse this year, and still hasn't proven himself as the #1 in Montreal right now (his name is still stamped on the future).

But whatever, all I originally intended was to call out someone tossing around names like Brodeur and Fleury, or more specifically their interpretation of their play by a specific age. I think we know Price is no Brodeur, but I'd be content if he turned out to be as good as Fleury.

Last edited by Ohashi_Jouzu: 11-04-2009 at 09:53 AM.
Ohashi_Jouzu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 09:34 AM
Jean Beliveau

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkinDrublic View Post
Great post Ozz, but give it up, you won't change their one track minds !
How is that a great post. What have you done for me lately.

Until proven otherwise, Price's stock is quickly going down the same way Nortel did several years ago.

From the darling of the tech world and the TSX to a spectacular failure.

Price's demeanor and technique do not inspire confidence at the moment and this is not simply an overnight observation.

If Price showed the same passion and intensity has his fan boys on HF Boards, he'd be a Vezina candidate.

Jean Beliveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 09:42 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:

Until proven otherwise, Price's stock is quickly going down the same way Nortel did several years ago.

Price's demeanor and technique do not inspire confidence at the moment and this is not simply an overnight observation.

If Price showed the same passion and intensity has his fan boys on HF Boards, he'd be a Vezina candidate.
The comparison of the year here, ladies and gentleman step forward and read this one !

Comparing C Price to Nortel..Holy **** i have now officially read almost everything here.

Old
11-04-2009, 09:52 AM
Hermamoud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chfan View Post
Therrien is brutal...Like really.
During the 2007 draft, after the Canadiens drafted McDonagh, he said that he didn't understand why they drafted him because they already drafted Mathieu Carle.

Hermamoud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 09:53 AM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkinDrublic View Post
The comparison of the year here, ladies and gentleman step forward and read this one !

Comparing C Price to Nortel..Holy **** i have now officially read almost everything here.
I hope you're reading your own posts: they are quite ''amazing'' !

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 09:56 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
I hope you're reading your own posts: they are quite ''amazing'' !
1st person to ever join my IL, Grats !

Old
11-04-2009, 10:01 AM
DDIHH

BTW, I just want to add to the debate that Carle sucked, but it was his first NHL game and it was a home game.

I don't say he'll be great, but fans should be more patient with the kids.

DDIHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 10:05 AM

Quote:

I remember M-A Fleury's stock dropping quite a bit after making his debut in the NHL...same thing happened to Cam Ward after backstopping the Canes to the Cup. I think it's WAAAAYYYYY premature to give up on Price already, was he given too much too soon? Yeah, probably, but going through these trials and tribulations at the age of 22, will make him a stronger person and better goalie when he's 26-27...which is usually the age where goalies come into their own.

Let's not get it twisted...most goalies aren't even playing in the NHL at the age of 22 much less in the most difficult position to play in ALL of hockey (goalie of the Habs) IMO and one of the most difficult in ALL of sports, period. We expect greatness from Carey every time he's thrown out there and I think it's alot to ask given the circumstances.

I think it would prudent of Habs fans to be very patient with Carey...we Habs fans have an obssession with building up some of our young players and putting them on a pedestal, however, we also love to tear them down from that same pedastal when they fail to meet our unreaslistic & demanding expectations.

Again...BE PATIENT WITH CAREY PRICE. Dont repeat mistakes from the past, this organization has suffered enough of players coming back to haunt them. We need to have the same level of expectations for Carey Price, as we do for our entire team.

and as it stands now, it wouldn't matter who was in nets with the way we're playing defense.

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 10:07 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ho View Post
BTW, I just want to add to the debate that Carle sucked, but it was his first NHL game and it was a home game.

I don't think anyone here was upset at his play last night. MAB on the other hand. Pfft !

Old
11-04-2009, 10:14 AM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

vCash: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ho View Post

Why? You know this place.... **** down a players throat when he is 22 because they are not an instant hall of fame player...

The trolls on this board think that if someone isnt a superstar instantly or has a rough season they need to be traded (eg: pleks, price, akost) instead of letting them get back to form.

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 10:26 AM
linp

I am not blaming Price for the loss. Our defense played much worse. However, Price has been letting the puck sliding through his pads recently after an unlucky bound. A goalie should play the percentage. How come the coach didn't train him to put the stick down? It would give a better chance to stop those goals. That 1st goal gave Atlanta confidence and charged them up. Price was playing great until that goal. The whole night, we were playing catch up. A bad defense would get worse when it tries to open up.

linp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 11:28 AM
richm711*

You people are just so bloody thick sometimes.

Good goalies are able to steal games from time to time, great ones do it frequently. Price is doing neither. That is the problem!!

Defensive breakdowns or not he has to dig deeper and play with focus and steal the games. The cross crease pass would have been anticipated and saved by a good/great goaltender on his game. Price is not doing that. This is the problem for once and for all. He has no confidence, no focus and is not stealing us any games what so ever.

Price is 2-6 with close to a 4 goals against average. That is not good enough. So wake up and see the problem. He has gotten worse for the last 3 years.

It's not that difficult to understand. No more excuses!

Get Halak in and keep him there.

richm711* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 11:33 AM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by richm711 View Post

Good goalies are able to steal games from time to time, great ones do it frequently. Price is doing neither. That is the problem!!

Defensive breakdowns or not he has to dig deeper and play with focus and steal the games. The cross crease pass would have been anticipated and saved by a good/great goaltender on his game. Price is not doing that. This is the problem for once and for all. He has no confidence, no focus and is not stealing us any games what so ever.

Price is 2-6 with close to a 4 goals against average. That is not good enough. So wake up and see the problem. He has gotten worse for the last 3 years.

So by your standards, we should put an average, bad, or terribad goalie in?

Some posters think they got it all figured out.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 11:34 AM
richm711*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLPacman67 View Post
So by your standards, we should put an average, bad, or terribad goalie in?

Some posters think they got it all figured out.
You must be under 13 years of age. Shouldn't you be in school or something? Your argument stinks!

richm711* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 11:41 AM

Quote:

Carey Price stole the Habs 1st two wins of the year...furthermore, why does Price HAVE to be great now?

Some people just expect Hall of Fame performances everytime he's out there. Carey Price is allowed to struggle, he's allowed to lose games sometimes. I can just imagine what Habs fans would of done to a guy like Marc-André Fleury when he was struggling early in his career...a few years later, he's a Stanley Cup winner and good bet to be one of the 3 goalies for Team Canada. Yet 2 or 3 years ago, alot of people had given up on him and called him a sieve.

For **** sake, Carey Price is 22 FREAKIN' years old.

Halak has it easy because he can have a bad performance and no one cares, he can be in nets while the Habs win 5-4, not be very good and no one cares. yet with Price, even if he wins, if he's not perfect in the game, his every mistake is criticised and broken down.

Last edited by 417: 11-04-2009 at 11:47 AM.
Old
11-04-2009, 11:47 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Carey Price stole the Habs 1st two wins of the year...furthermore, why does Price HAVE to be great now?

Some people just expect Hall of Fame performances everytime he's out there. Carey Price is allowed to struggle, he's allowed to lose games sometimes.
Totally. Not only allowed, but somewhat expected to. I submit, though, that people are also "allowed" to comment on the weaknesses they see in his game, and whether or not he should be the "go to guy" right now, without being bashed and labeled as haters with bias by way of extremely hyperbolic responses and poorly crafted strawmen.

Ohashi_Jouzu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 11:49 AM
Santino

First off, again our defence was beyond pathetic. And that's been the trend so far this season. I don't think there is one person in particular to blame, you win as a team, you lose as a team. Carey Price isn't the Montreal Canadians, nor is Halak, or Cammy or whoever. It's a TEAM effort. The TEAM played horribly defensivly, fowards and defensemen alike.

Carle didn't have the best first game and i stretch the word FIRST game. Sure nerves were there, but that was a dumb penatly that he took trying to fix a brutal mistake he made. You don't correct a mistake by taking a dumb penalty. Correct a mistake like Cammy did when he fanned on the shot then stole the puck, CLEANLY then put it behind Pavelic. Anyways it was his first game, i'll give him the benefit of the doubt, but i still don't find he played well at all.

For those of you blaming Carrey Price,. thats all i can say. I'm not defending him, 3rd goal was super weak, but besides that goal, he played pretty well in nets. Yes you do need some key saves(which he delivered in the first and second) but your defense has to also make STANDARD/BASIC plays in front of him. Not even desperation plays but basic defensive coverage. Where were they???? Those of you blaming Price.. did you even watch the game? i mean REALLY watch it? not turning your head everyime you hear someone score! If you did, you would see that the D is to blame, not Price. And not just our defencmen but our fowards as well.

On another note, 2nd line just isnt happening. Pleks had a great goal because instead of shooting right away which he had a tendancy of doing in the past, he hesitated a fraction of a second which lead to Pavelic getting out of position just a little and found the corner. Lats for me did not contribute anything to that line. And its funny, put him on a top 6 line and his play chages again. 1 hit!!!!! didnt play physical at all. Went to the net a little more this game, which is great thats what we want from him, but missed a golden opportunity and its not one of those, ''ya but everyone misses or fans on a shot'', he does it QUITE often. And as for the little debate i saw earlier in the thread, Andre played WAYYYYYY better than Lats. He played a much more physical game and actually got some shots on net, 3 i think? and 4 hits? lats with 0 shots. Thats what Lats does, he gets promoted, then deviates from his game. He'll never understand( i wish he would). Keep him on the 3rd line please. Max pac is playing really well offensivly. Id like to see the pacc-pleks-andre get another shot again.... anyways.

Bottom line if everyone does not step it up defensivly, this team will definatly not make it to the playoffs, even when Markov comes back because the damage will be done already. And also, why is it in Montreal that there must be a controversy all the time. Why does Price have to suck, or Halak have to suck. Why can't we just support them because we have the luxury of having 2 great young goaltenders who BOTH need time to develop. Think about that one.

p.s MAB is just brutal to watch.

Santino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 11:49 AM
Hermamoud

Quote:
You must be under 13 years of age. Shouldn't you be in school or something? Your argument stinks!
When in doubt, just insult the poster

Hermamoud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Totally. Not only allowed, but somewhat expected to. I submit, though, that people are also "allowed" to comment on the weaknesses they see in his game, and whether or not he should be the "go to guy" right now, without being bashed and labeled as haters with bias by way of extremely hyperbolic responses and poorly crafted strawmen.
Not calling anyone a hater for commenting on his weaknesses...but people need to realize that Carey Price, is not going to be perfect all the time. Right now he's struggling, but the whole team is struggling with consistency right now. If you look at Carey Price's game, it's a reflection of how the team is playing, inconsistent. Yet it seems that ALL the blame always goes on ALL of his shoulders.

As I mentionned, Price was probably given too much too soon, but that's not all his fault...all he can do is continue to learn on the job, he wasn't afforded the luxury that a guy like Tukka Rask for example was given, where he could go through the high's and low's of a season in the obscurity of the AHL.

All i'm saying is just to be patient with Price and to not be so quick to dismiss him. He's got ALOT of hockey left to play in his career and Habs fans are just setting themselves up for another disapointment when an ex-Habs comes to Montreal and abuses them, again.

Old
11-04-2009, 12:11 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusher20 View Post
Price record : 2-6
Halak record : 5-2

whatever argument we may have, these stats are facts.
you can be sure 100% sure next game Halak is in, i think Martin had enough of this... but seriously i am sure he just cant wait for bobby to pull the trigger sacrafice some of the kiddies and get a veteran help on offense, its incredible how plekanec is doig well.. 14pts in 15 games.. tied with cammalleri, seriously BG for Christ sake... get some help !!!! Kostitsyn as simply being abysmal this season so far, nothing else to add.. i dont like Brunet but Kostitsyn as being equivalent to Benoit Brunet
Habs GF: 5th in East
Habs GA: 29th in NHL (1Goal from 30th placed Toronto)

We need help on D first and foremost.

Our offense would be able to take over games if our D was more solid.
I still feel like the Kost broz could be the solution to our offensive problems. I understand though that they want these two to improve their intensity and work ethic first.
If the Kost broz can play with the grit and determination they showed flashes off, they'd be quite the dangerous pair.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote