HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers trying to move Chris Higgins

Old
11-04-2009, 09:53 AM
beastly115

vCash: 500
The only evidence of the guy playing since game 1...

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 10:12 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Let's hope this gets him going. We are desperate for secondary scoring right now...

we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 10:19 AM
Celestial Black

I sort of see us moving him during the trade deadline.

Celestial Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 10:25 AM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
Let's hope this gets him going. We are desperate for secondary scoring right now...
Totally agree. At least he can stop pressing and relax.

Maybe it will inspire the rest of the team. If he can score after such a long drought, than anyone can!

OverTheCap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 10:27 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
Kind of desperate for some primary scoring too.

11-04-2009, 11:57 AM
HockeyBurd*

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
Maybe it will inspire the rest of the team.
Oh, it totally inspired them. You could just see the inspiration flowing through that entire bench.

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 12:11 PM
RangerBlueJay*

I've seen more inspiration at a funeral.

RangerBlueJay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 02:54 PM
Heat McManus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Kind of desperate for some primary scoring too.
Desperate for non-Gaborik scoring.

Higgins had a strong game and was rewarded. Torts must be happy with him as he saw the 3rd most ice time out of any forward.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 05:05 PM
Chimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBlueJay View Post
I've seen more inspiration at a funeral.
Enough crying.

Ok, no offense, I totally only wanted to say that because of the window of opportunity. Which ruins the joke by saying it, but I don't care.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 10:03 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
I wish we'd get rid of this guy already....

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 01:52 AM
Chimp

Keep it up Chris, because you have some catching up to do.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 04:48 AM
HarlemsFinest
teh gallys!!1

LOL this guy just can't escape trade rumors. ever.

HarlemsFinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 06:30 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
he should have had 2-3 goals in first period alone. He looked very good!

Sad London Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 07:33 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Last night's Chris Higgins was vintage Chris Higgins. Plays a simple game. Straight line game. Speed is his main asset.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 08:07 AM
azrok22

Higgins last night was very impressive.

Let's all keep things in perspective:

Chris Higgins is on pace for the same amount of goals this season as Scott Gomez.

Higgins should be a fan favorite just for ridding us of the Gomez contract. Poor Montreal fans.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 08:58 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 910
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Last night's Chris Higgins was vintage Chris Higgins. Plays a simple game. Straight line game. Speed is his main asset.
He was very good. Stays around the net. If he can keep playing like this while actually cashing in the odd goal, I'll be very happy.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 09:02 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
He was very good. Stays around the net. If he can keep playing like this while actually cashing in the odd goal, I'll be very happy.
The thing is, he's not playing much differently than he has been other than the fact that he's scored a few goals.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 09:08 AM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I think getting that 1st goal removed a lot of pressure for Higgins.
The effort we've seen in the 2 last games from him is badly needed right now... Same thing goes for Cally.

They're on the right path right now, which is good.

Loffen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 11:50 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
Higgins last night was very impressive.

Let's all keep things in perspective:

Chris Higgins is on pace for the same amount of goals this season as Scott Gomez.

Higgins should be a fan favorite just for ridding us of the Gomez contract. Poor Montreal fans.
The way I look at it:

We got Higgins, McDonagh, and Gaborik for Gomez. We win.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 01:23 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 910
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
The thing is, he's not playing much differently than he has been other than the fact that he's scored a few goals.
I think in general that you're absolutely right. He had a couple of games where he wasn't very active, but save for Marian Gaborik, you can say that about every player on this team. He's put forth a pretty damn consistent effort this season. I'm glad for him that he's finally catching some breaks.

nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 01:23 PM
HarlemsFinest
teh gallys!!1

is he on pace for the number of assists too? gomez is a playmaker, strong zone entry and creating things. so ur happy that higgins, who should be scoring goals, is on pace for as many as a non-scorer? as long as we're both happy.

mcdonagh didn't seem to be panning out and we have tons in the AHL to fill that gap. however pyatt seems better than expected. in fact he played last night and didn't look bad. when's mcdo's 1st game? (granted we only needed to do that because of prolific injuries).

gomez wasn't working in ny and you guys were able to get gaborik, which is still a bit of a gamble by itself but is no doubt elite. only a question of being able to keep him elitely healthy for most of the time.

so in terms of how both teams benifitted from the trade, i'd say they both generally worked in everybody's favor. the only downside is really scotty's big contract. but on the flipside....had the habs not made that trade, would they have lured the like of gionta, cammalleri, spacek etc?

higgins was great in the hab's conference run season 2 years ago, when the whole team had i think 7 players with 50+ pts. i really thought/hoped he'd be so motivated playing pretty much at home. if this can't drive him, i don't know what else could.

HarlemsFinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 02:37 PM
azrok22

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarlemsFinest View Post
is he on pace for the number of assists too? gomez is a playmaker, strong zone entry and creating things. so ur happy that higgins, who should be scoring goals, is on pace for as many as a non-scorer? as long as we're both happy.

mcdonagh didn't seem to be panning out and we have tons in the AHL to fill that gap. however pyatt seems better than expected. in fact he played last night and didn't look bad. when's mcdo's 1st game? (granted we only needed to do that because of prolific injuries).

gomez wasn't working in ny and you guys were able to get gaborik, which is still a bit of a gamble by itself but is no doubt elite. only a question of being able to keep him elitely healthy for most of the time.

so in terms of how both teams benifitted from the trade, i'd say they both generally worked in everybody's favor. the only downside is really scotty's big contract. but on the flipside....had the habs not made that trade, would they have lured the like of gionta, cammalleri, spacek etc?

higgins was great in the hab's conference run season 2 years ago, when the whole team had i think 7 players with 50+ pts. i really thought/hoped he'd be so motivated playing pretty much at home. if this can't drive him, i don't know what else could.
Higgins makes $2.1 million and is locked in for only one more year.

Yes, Gomez is certainly more of a "playmaker" (although I think his passing skill has been terribly overrated, he's a great skater, but his vision/passing leaves a lot to be desire.

That being said, Gomez is on pace for 51 points. That's even worse than his point total with the Rangers last season (58 points)... and he's locked up for 5 more years... and he's going to be a $7.3 million hit for each of them.

Gomez is a better player than Higgins, no question... that's hardly the end of the story.

If Montreal fans are truly happy with Gomez and that trade, I don't know if they've grown to accept with mediocrity or are simply trying to present a strong emotional front. More importantly, what will their mood be when they're using $7.3 million of their cap on him 3 years from now? 5 years from now?

Old
11-06-2009, 02:38 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarlemsFinest View Post

He was pressing. It had nothing to do with drive

Also, Gaborik is a risk yes, but he's so much better than Gomez tha no one really cares at this point. Gaborik has one of the best wrist shots in the league, if not the best. Gomez has one of the worst. I'd say Gaborik is also a better playmaker. Gomez creates a lot of opportunies with his speed, Gaborik does with his hands and vision. Unfortunately for Gomez, a lot of the times his speed can be neutralized. It's very hard to neutralize Gaborik because he has so many weapons.

I wouldn't mind it if McDonagh never panned out. Chances are he will get traded before he ever plays in the NHL anyway because of the surplus of Rangers D-men

I'm also curious, what do Cammalleri and Spacek have to do with Gomez?

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 02:42 PM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

I think he was trying to say/imply that if Gomez weren't there, they wouldn't have signed there as UFA's (Cam, Gionta, Spacek).

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 02:46 PM
azrok22

Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
I think he was trying to say/imply that if Gomez weren't there, they wouldn't have signed there as UFA's (Cam, Gionta, Spacek).
Seen this argument made a few times, and I think it's a stretch...maybe for Gionta... somewhat... but I think even that's unlikely.

A much more plausible reason these guys signed in Montreal is because the Canadians had a cubic ton of cap space and were willing to pay more.