HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers / Ducks trade brewing? (Higgins for Marchant?)

Old
11-04-2009, 01:02 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBurd View Post
That only works if you also trade Amonte, Weight and Gartner as well.
lol, I guess we gotta get Amonte & Gartner out of retirement.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 01:17 PM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
The only reason this deal would interest me is that I was at Todd Marchant's one and only game as a Ranger back in 1993/4 (as I recall...).

Higgins is struggling, but over the course of the season, he should bring more to the table than Marchant. Plus, it's not like he's $$$.

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 01:35 PM
ecemleafs

id like to see what this goal for higgins does for his play. hes been lazy at times this year but i also feel that despite not scoring he had also played some good hockey as well. a little less laziness and a little more luck in front of net and he will be a solid player for us. and even if higgins doesnt score another goal all year id take him over 46 year old marchant.

ecemleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 01:52 PM
Smoochie

Why don't Slats try to get Artukhin instead?

Smoochie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 01:56 PM
Matt4776
HFBoards Sponsor

Higgins + 1st for Bobby Ryan

Matt4776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 01:59 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 View Post
The only reason this deal would interest me is that I was at Todd Marchant's one and only game as a Ranger back in 1993/4 (as I recall...).

Higgins is struggling, but over the course of the season, he should bring more to the table than Marchant. Plus, it's not like he's $$$.
Me too!

It was a Friday night against the blachawks and the Rangers were down like 8 players because of injuries and suspensions...last game before the famous deadline of 94..
Posted via Mobile Device

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 02:02 PM
Vitto79

If the Ducks take Voros and Rangers take Christiensen then maybe or a 3rd rounder as the Rangers could use on back

Higgins for Marchant is a wash for me. Boyle seems like he can handle the wing though so if they make that a new 4th line/PK team it does make some sense

Even at over 35 it's not like Marchant is not useful still and very fast. Did we not trade him for freaking MacTavish back in the day/94 cup champion team

Last edited by Vitto79: 11-04-2009 at 02:55 PM.
Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 02:28 PM
TomLaidlaw

The Rangers need Todd Marchant like MSG network needs more coverage of the 1994 Cup Team.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 02:38 PM
HAPPY HOUR

I was at MSG for a Ranger game(on St. Paddys Day) the day Marchant was traded for MacT. Seems like it was a milllion yrs ago.

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 02:45 PM
Elvs

Marchant is a better player than some here make him out to be. He's a good penalty killer and there was a reason he got a contract this summer. Use him right and he'll do fine for you. With that said though, you can get more for Higgins, so I assume there's a prospect or a draft pick involved.

Elvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 02:48 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvstrand View Post
Marchant is a better player than some here make him out to be. He's a good penalty killer and there was a reason he got a contract this summer. Use him right and he'll do fine for you. With that said though, you can get more for Higgins, so I assume there's a prospect or a draft pick involved.
Well that's the problem. We have enough defensive-minded forwards for the PK, what we really need is goal scoring. Higgins might not be accomplishing that right now, but at least he has the potential to contribute in that department, more so than Marchant anyway.

I don't think everyone is saying Marchant is awful. Even if you take the value out of the equation, he's just not something we need.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 02:50 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Well that's the problem. We have enough defensive-minded forwards for the PK, what we really need is goal scoring. Higgins might not be accomplishing that right now, but at least he has the potential to contribute in that department, more so than Marchant anyway.

I don't think everyone is saying Marchant is awful. Even if you take the value out of the equation, he's just not something we need.
agreed but Higgins is a UFA next yr anyway and I believe Lisin can take his minutes. Marchant makes the 4th line alot better

If the Rangers can get a 3rd back /replacing the 3rd they dealt for Boyle at the Draft and if the Ducks take Voros off our hands then I am good with it. Also Brookbank may be a good 7th Dman.....

Old
11-04-2009, 02:53 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvstrand View Post
Higgins is a good penalty killer as well, a whole load younger and actually may have some offensive production in him.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 02:58 PM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

I think it's way too early to give up on Higgins. Seriously, what are we looking at here - 15 games and the boot for a decent player who has been struggling?

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 02:58 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:

I don't think we really need goal scorers... I think what we really need is a playmaker. Not that Marchant fits that bill. But look at the team we have. Gabby, Kotalik, Cally, Drury, Lisin are all goal scorers first and foremost. Avery is more a goalscorer than a playmaker.

Prospal is a playmaker. Anisimov and Dubi are supposed to be playmakers, but both are still learning how to do that at this time. And truth be told I think dubi can actually be a better goalscorer than playmaker, but is being thrust into a playmaking role.

We need another bonafide playmaker whether it be on the wing or at center to shore up that #2 line, which will then help to shore up the #3 line.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 03:11 PM
BleedinBLUEsince92

After losing Pronger the ducks really have been struggling defensively. Maybe if this rumor is true that also Rozy or Redden are being included? I think that'd be pretty sweet

BleedinBLUEsince92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 03:14 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by possiblyrangers View Post
After losing Pronger the ducks really have been struggling defensively. Maybe if this rumor is true that also Rozy or Redden are being included? I think that'd be pretty sweet
Rozsival would be great to move but for what coming back?. Would have to be a equally expensive Dman. Whitney involved

If anything goes down I think it would be simple......Higgins,Potter,Voros for Marchant, Brookbank, 3rd rounder

Old
11-04-2009, 03:16 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
I don't think we really need goal scorers... I think what we really need is a playmaker. Not that Marchant fits that bill. But look at the team we have. Gabby, Kotalik, Cally, Drury, Lisin are all goal scorers first and foremost. Avery is more a goalscorer than a playmaker.

Prospal is a playmaker. Anisimov and Dubi are supposed to be playmakers, but both are still learning how to do that at this time. And truth be told I think dubi can actually be a better goalscorer than playmaker, but is being thrust into a playmaking role.

We need another bonafide playmaker whether it be on the wing or at center to shore up that #2 line, which will then help to shore up the #3 line.
Well I did say "scoring" as opposed to "scorers".

Personally, I think the idea of a "play maker" is a little overrated. I don't think sticking a Savard or Thornton on the first line with Gaborik is necessarily going to yield better results than if you put a guy like Jeff Carter in their place. Player X passing to player Y only lasts until the defense is able to figure out whats going on.

What we're lacking is players with puck skills. Ability with the puck translate into time of possession, which translates into scoring chances, and.. you get the idea. We don't necessarily need a play maker for Drury and Callahan on the 2nd line, we just need a guy who's first instinct isn't to chase the puck into the corner. You can still be a goal scorer while retaining some sort of ability to pass the puck.

Sometimes chemistry is all you need to get the job done.

Old
11-04-2009, 03:25 PM
SomebodySaveKreider

Quote:

Personally, I think the idea of a "play maker" is a little overrated. I don't think sticking a Savard or Thornton on the first line with Gaborik is necessarily going to yield better results than if you put a guy like Jeff Carter in their place. Player X passing to player Y only lasts until the defense is able to figure out whats going on.

What we're lacking is players with puck skills. Ability with the puck translate into time of possession, which translates into scoring chances, and.. you get the idea. We don't necessarily need a play maker for Drury and Callahan on the 2nd line, we just need a guy who's first instinct isn't to chase the puck into the corner. You can still be a goal scorer while retaining some sort of ability to pass the puck.

Completely disagree.

SomebodySaveKreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 03:29 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaRanger View Post
Completely disagree.
Why? You think a guy who is a 3/10 in the shooting department but a 9/10 in passing is a better option than the guy who's an 8 in shooting and a 6 in passing?

Old
11-04-2009, 03:30 PM
In The Flesh

I'd love Marchant and R2

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 03:30 PM
Ola

Quote:

Prospal is a playmaker -- and I certainly think he would help Kotalik, Callahan, Anisimov, Drury and co with his playmaking skills.

Maybe not Gabby though -- but Gabby is special.

But I also agree with you that we lack puck skills.

I think we lack both.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 03:32 PM
Ola

I think that sounds like a awesome trade.

Higgins might still be overrated around the league -- and we might get more from him from someone else. And then of course more is better then less.

But we would shed almost 2m by moving him for Marchant. And we would get a good defensiveminded veteran center. Some thing we defenitely have lacked this season.

Then that 2m could be used to fill a need on the top 2 lines...

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 03:32 PM
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
It's ESPN. Nothing is going to go down.

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 03:35 PM
NYR Viper

What about something like Marchant + 2nd rounder

The Ducks have an abundance of picks in the first couple of rounds with the Pronger trade, I would think they may move a couple of them in order to upgrade their team both now and in the future. If they deal for him now, they can see if he works out and try to resign him before he hits free agency. That would be a deal I would be okay with. 1 for 1 not a chance.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote