Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lehtonen...

Closed Thread

Old
11-04-2009, 01:45 PM
Shameus

vCash: 500
Seems Kari had to have another back surgery.

http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-thrashe...thrashers_blog

Saying it'll be another 6-8 weeks before he is remotely close to coming back.

Old
11-04-2009, 01:49 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shameus View Post
Seems Kari had to have another back surgery.

http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-thrashe...thrashers_blog

Saying it'll be another 6-8 weeks before he is remotely close to coming back.
Poor Kari. His career isn't looking good at this point...

Old
11-04-2009, 01:51 PM
flerd_trandle

Stick a fork in this one. He's done.

Old
11-04-2009, 01:54 PM
ThrashersInHamburg

bad news, somehow destroys my idea

Old
11-04-2009, 01:58 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrashersInHamburg View Post
bad news, somehow destroys my idea
Yeah...looks like you got your answer.

Welcome to the board though!

Old
11-04-2009, 02:06 PM
ThrashersInHamburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
Yeah...looks like you got your answer.

Welcome to the board though!
Thanks, i`ve been into hockey for a long time, but this is the first real forum i`m in! By the way Im pretty much alone here in germany, calling myself a thrashers fan
If Pavelec can keep up his play, i don`t think you`d realley have to worry about goaltending!
But what to do with kari?

by the way, don`t mind my mistakes, I`m from Germany haha=)

Old
11-04-2009, 02:53 PM
RoyalAir
Always the Thrashers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrashersInHamburg View Post
Thanks, i`ve been into hockey for a long time, but this is the first real forum i`m in! By the way Im pretty much alone here in germany, calling myself a thrashers fan
If Pavelec can keep up his play, i don`t think you`d realley have to worry about goaltending!
But what to do with kari?

by the way, don`t mind my mistakes, I`m from Germany haha=)
Your English is commendable, and welcome.

As far as Kari, there's nothing to do with him. It's looking more and more like "if" he comes back, not "when." If he comes back and has some value, i think you cut your losses and acquire what you can for him. That is, of course, if Ondrej continues his play. If Pavelec and Hedberg both fall apart if/when Lehtonen comes back, it's a very different situation.

Bottom line, you keep the goaltender that gives you the greatest chance to win, every night. At this point, I'd say that health trumps talent in making that decision. But right now, Ondrej is leaving little to be desired.

Old
11-04-2009, 03:09 PM
ThrashersInHamburg

Having Kari out for sooo long again, it would probably be the best to trade him, but no matter what we`ll get, i think it won`t be as much as you`d expect to get for your so called number 1 goaltender!
I still don`t see any team taking him!
do you?

Old
11-04-2009, 03:22 PM
John Cena*
12x WWE CHAMPION!!!!

He'll be back. if not with us, with someone. Probably finish in the top 5 every season when he's healthy. Hopefully its with us. I would hate to play against a healthy Lehtonen.

Old
11-04-2009, 03:32 PM
KaylaJ
Tungsten!

anyone know about back surgery or stay at a holiday inn last night able to explain the 2nd surgery?

Old
11-04-2009, 03:39 PM
John Cena*
12x WWE CHAMPION!!!!

He needs all the surgery he can get. In the end it will help him, make him better. I cannot wait to see him when he is injury free. You think he will be more like Lundqvist or Brodeur? He should rest up until February and come back around that time. A healthy Lehtonen is what this team needs. Sick of inconsistency. Wanna make the playoffs and win.

Old
11-04-2009, 04:36 PM
Ashe

Avoiding as sports fan does.

This surgery was to stop the bone from pinching against a nerve they must of moved during surgery. Sometimes nerves get moved to wrong places, and could be what was giving him so much pain.

I pray he makes a quick recovery for his career and health.

Old
11-04-2009, 04:37 PM
dj4aces

Send a message via ICQ to dj4aces Send a message via AIM to dj4aces Send a message via MSN to dj4aces Send a message via Yahoo to dj4aces
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaylaJ View Post
anyone know about back surgery or stay at a holiday inn last night able to explain the 2nd surgery?
That's awesome.

On to the surgery:

Quote:
Kari Lehtonen underwent another back surgery on Friday. The procedure was to remove edges of bone that were applying pressure to nerve roots in his back at two locations. The surgery was performed by Dr. Paul Maurer at Strong Memorial Hospital in Rochester, N.Y. The locations on the back were different than the location of the surgery he had on July 20.

Old
11-04-2009, 04:38 PM
Ashe

Also, is it possible to request a lack of intelligence ban on a poster, or a troll? I understand freedom of speech, and stuff. But its crap after crap, and a one track mind from that kid.

Old
11-04-2009, 04:45 PM
dj4aces

Send a message via ICQ to dj4aces Send a message via AIM to dj4aces Send a message via MSN to dj4aces Send a message via Yahoo to dj4aces
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashe View Post
Also, is it possible to request a lack of intelligence ban on a poster, or a troll? I understand freedom of speech, and stuff. But its crap after crap, and a one track mind from that kid.
That's why there's ignore lists.

Old
11-04-2009, 04:57 PM
StevenintheATL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashe View Post
No such thing as freedom of speech on a privately owned and operated website. As long as what is posted does not violate the forum rules, folks can post whatever sort of crap they want here. That's where the "ignore user" option comes in quite handy.

Steering the discussion back from the side of the road.

I think that Kari's done with the Thrashers after his contract is up this season. In fact, I would not be surprised if his days as an NHL goalie are over. He may have to return to the SM-liiga or perhaps the KHL in order to prove himself to be a top notch goalie again. He definitely needs to show that he isn't fragile, as based on the number of games he has missed in his NHL career due to injury, he's not someone you can expect to stay healthy all season.

Old
11-04-2009, 05:12 PM
KevFist
is best pony

I think it would be safe to say Kari's missed more games in his NHL career than he's played.

I'm a big Kari fan, but I'm pretty sure his NHL career is done.

Old
11-04-2009, 05:37 PM
DungeonK
Love Thy Neighbor

Considering the kind of physical shape Lehtonen was in when he was on a regular workout schedule I'd hate to see what he looks like right now having not been able to work out for months.

Combine that with his previous surgery and this surgery and it looks like he's done until January or February. He'll need at least a month of conditioning after he can actually work out before I'd be comfortable putting him in a game.

Here's to hoping he can bounce back, regain his strength, and return to form.

Old
11-04-2009, 05:48 PM
KevFist
is best pony

The question is...What do you do with him? Let's say it's a best-case scenario and he can start workouts in January. He's in playing shape by early February. No way he can jump right into Atlanta. Do you send him to the Wolves to play with Legace? Do you send him all the way to Gwinett? i think that's the answer....Keeps him in atlanta so brass can keep an eye on him, plus playing against ECHL level talent helps Kari's fragile ego get prepared once again.

However...If you;re Atlanta and you're in a playoff run....Do you risk bringing Kari back?

Old
11-04-2009, 05:53 PM
TasteofFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneel View Post
The question is...What do you do with him? Let's say it's a best-case scenario and he can start workouts in January. He's in playing shape by early February. No way he can jump right into Atlanta. Do you send him to the Wolves to play with Legace? Do you send him all the way to Gwinett? i think that's the answer....Keeps him in atlanta so brass can keep an eye on him, plus playing against ECHL level talent helps Kari's fragile ego get prepared once again.

However...If you;re Atlanta and you're in a playoff run....Do you risk bringing Kari back?
Not sure what should happen with Kari, but if he comes back and the team is in the thick of the playoff hunt, then I wouldn't play him. If the team is in that position, then that means Pavelec is getting the job done, or at the very least, the team has somebody getting it done in net. Cold goaltender down the stretch while sitting the guy who got you there just doesn't seem like a great plan to me.

Old
11-04-2009, 06:08 PM
The Sneak

If Kari is healthy enough to claim a roster spot this season then of course I play him. Pavelec will need nights off and if Lehtonen is healthy then you have to figure he's a better option than Hedberg.

Old
11-04-2009, 07:16 PM
Georgia Dawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneel View Post

This is what I was thinking. I would say no. The guy would not have played a hockey game for a long time. No need to get him going in a playoff run.

I do not think you see him as a Thrasher again.

Old
11-04-2009, 07:49 PM
DungeonK
Love Thy Neighbor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Dawg View Post
This is what I was thinking. I would say no. The guy would not have played a hockey game for a long time. No need to get him going in a playoff run.

I do not think you see him as a Thrasher again.
Problem is he has ZERO trade value if he doesn't step on the ice and prove himself post-injury, preferably at the NHL level. I'd like to see him get some conditioning starts in the AHL and then steal a few games from Hedberg to prove he is healthy enough to play again. With that out the way we can make an effective decision about whether to bring him back as the back-up next year (assuming Pavelec continues to play well), give him a shot at getting his job back, or trade him. Taking away the "can he still play?" question mark would do wonders for his return in the event of a trade.

Old
11-04-2009, 08:23 PM
RoyalAir
Always the Thrashers

Yeah, his value is at an all-time negative right now. But one factor that hasn't been discussed here is the chemistry in the dressing room. If Ondrej the Giant and Moose are able to keep the team competitive and giving them a chance to win every night and the team chemistry/composure is good, then I don't know if it makes sense to insert Kari Lehtnonen into that environment. I think at that point you risk upsetting a dressing room that has their goalies and likes them the way they are; they may resent putting Kari back in the lineup.

I'm probably being a bit too deep/nuts with this, but look at the quotes from Peverley/Kovalchuk/Hainsey regarding goaltending. If the leaders of the team are happy with what they've got in net, why monkey with it? If Kari comes back healthy, then he should be given nothing more than an opportunity to play backup. If he plays a couple of games and draws interest, ship him out. By that point, Ondrej either is or isn't your goalie. You'll know by then.

Old
11-04-2009, 08:55 PM
GetPucksDeep

The optimist in me sez.....

He'll be ready for the playoffs!

Closed Thread