HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

And now for something completely different Canes @ Florida

Old
11-04-2009, 08:57 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 1832
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bub View Post
Hell, we may not score 40 with this team.

Listened to the game on the radio, and they sounded as bad as they looked back in 03-04. Just dreadful. Thank goodness there's no relegation in the NHL.
Team actually LOOKED pretty decent most of the game. But they just couldn't score worth a damn obviously. And of course the refs swallow their whistles in the 3rd til we're down 1-0 already and that's game.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 08:58 PM
ANTON HIS HOLINESS

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
Not worth it man. They'll improve. It'll take drafting one of Taylor Hall, Tyler Seguin or Cam Fowler and firing Paul Maurice to replace him with a REAL coach. But they'll improve. I wouldn't even count this team out of the playoff race next season.

But this season? **** it, it's just not worth it.
Even outside of the Canes I've had an absolutely terrible day. I'm not sure how much more disappointment I can take

ANTON HIS HOLINESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 09:01 PM
Wolfpuck
5/5 Compete Level

We've been shut out more than we've won. 14 games in, that's got to be some kind of record.

Wolfpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 09:01 PM
DoomMF

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikani87 View Post
This team is worthless. There's no question that the Canes are the worst team in the league. I know they're tied with the Leafs, but that will change on Friday.
I don't know --- if ever it was possible for a game to end in a tie, it could be us vs. Toronto. What happens when every player in a shootout misses? Do the fans get to shoot?

DoomMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 09:02 PM
DoomMF

Quote:
We've been shut out more than we've won. 14 games in, that's got to be some kind of record.
That can't possibly be true.........i'm going to check. Be right back.

Edit: You're right. I forgot NJ shut us out.

Old
11-04-2009, 09:04 PM
Wolfpuck
5/5 Compete Level

I bet "The Monster" gets his first NHL shutout on Friday.

Hell, Dan Cloutier could probably shut this team out.

Old
11-04-2009, 09:04 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
All Aboard

Hat trick for Kessel on Friday.

11-04-2009, 09:05 PM
dmonk
doughberle

Send a message via ICQ to dmonk
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleCooper View Post
Hat trick for Kessel on Friday.
Kessel, Jason Blake and Grabovsky.... each will get a hatty.

dmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 09:06 PM
Wolfpuck
5/5 Compete Level

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmonk View Post
Kessel, Jason Blake and Grabovsky.... each will get a hatty.
Ian White is on a bit of a hot streak as well, so he'll probably get at least a goal.

10-0 Leafs?

Old
11-04-2009, 09:07 PM
dmonk
doughberle

Send a message via ICQ to dmonk
Quote:
Ian White is on a bit of a hot streak as well, so he'll probably get at least a goal.

10-0 Leafs?
yeah.... Sutter was so bad today he didn't score, he definitely should be benched next game.

dmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 09:08 PM
DoomMF

It would be so much nicer to follow this team if we were losing because we were young. I know we don't want to rush the kids in Albany, and I'm fine with that, but it would sure make following the team a lot more fun if they were up here.

At least then we could be watching the future instead of the past......

Could we at least get rid of Leighton and let Peters get some time up here?

Old
11-04-2009, 09:10 PM
Wolfpuck
5/5 Compete Level

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmonk View Post
yeah.... Sutter was so bad today he didn't score, he definitely should be benched next game.
If that lazy bum can't produce a goal a game and keep this team from getting shut out, he doesn't deserve to be on this team. *coughhedeservesbettercough*

Old
11-04-2009, 09:23 PM
Caniac4ever

vCash: 1436
I'm so impressed with our team I could puke. I actually had my hopes up after the first period (dumb me) that we would actually have a good showing. However, we used our week's worth of effort in that period and managed a massive 11 shots on goal in the final 40 minutes.

The good thing that I've found by now is that the losses aren't nearly as disappointing when you know before the game that you're in for another one...

So, my question... Who is gone by Friday's game?

Caniac4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 09:26 PM
Guy

vCash: 200
no one is, nobody wants our old overpaid "talent".

once the deadline approaches, we can probably unload whitney and maybe a surprise or 2 for prospects/picks.

Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 09:33 PM
DoomMF

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANES View Post

once the deadline approaches, we can probably unload whitney and maybe a surprise or 2 for prospects/picks.
I read some discussion on the Calgary board about a rumored Whitney to Calgary trade....not going to happen, but we can dream.

Old
11-04-2009, 09:39 PM
Caniac4ever

vCash: 1436
Quote:
Originally Posted by CANES View Post

That's what has me a bit worried. JR says he's been having talks already. And like you say, nobody wants our trash. So, you would have to believe that someone not on the trash heap has a real possibility of getting the boot. I just hope JR doesn't drain our young talent in a desperation move to get the team going...

Caniac4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 09:42 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomMF View Post
I read some discussion on the Calgary board about a rumored Whitney to Calgary trade....not going to happen, but we can dream.
It's from Eklund. We can make rumors just as accurate by drawing a name out of a hat, placing 30 team names on a dart board and throwing.

Not that I wouldn't mind seeing it happen, but it's not going to happen.

Old
11-04-2009, 09:44 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

it's been 192 minutes since someone on the opening roster has scored a ****ing goal... It's getting ridiculous and it starts with the idiot behind the bench and insane off season.. All moves in the off season were good if you look at them individually (minus the dumb Cole deal) but when you analyze them as a whole, you see the disaster that he created. JR refused to bring in young talent that could score and let's Babs get away with exactly zero compenation...

The Cole deal is the real back breaker... No one wanted him, we were negotiating against ourselves and we lost... That is so stupid... The guy showed you last year that he was done, a one trick pony that can't score consistently... I bet we could have had Cole for $1-1.5 a year, but instead of making a smart business move, we chose not to insult him and cripple our franchise... We could have taken his $3 mil and rolled it towards a $5 million dollar winger and let some others go to make room for Sutter or Boychuk and been wayyyyyyy better than we are today... This team needs the guts ripped out of it right NOW, not in month...

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 09:47 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

I'd have gladly rather not have re-signed Cole and LaRose to bring in a 4 million dollar forward and keep Eaves for the other spot.

Bringing in Ward to replace Seidenberg after already bringing in Alberts to replace Babchuk would go down as huge mistake #2 to me.

Old
11-04-2009, 10:03 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
To me, the calling out of mistakes is revisionist history for most of us who really liked the moves at the time. I was ridiculously encouraged by the additions of Alberts and Ward at the time and even Harrison to provide some snarl on the back end. I highly underrated the presence of Seidenberg on our defensive group and highly overrated the potential impact that Kostopoulos and Yelle would have on our 4th line.

At some point it goes away from, "it's just November", into the territory that we've lost 1/8th of our season in a row and we are now right at 1/5th of the way through our season with a whopping 7 points in the standings.

Vagrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 10:05 PM
Wolfpuck
5/5 Compete Level

7 points in 14 games...these clowns are on pace for 41 points this season.

Old
11-04-2009, 10:07 PM
DoomMF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
To me, the calling out of mistakes is revisionist history for most of us who really liked the moves at the time. I was ridiculously encouraged by the additions of Alberts and Ward at the time and even Harrison to provide some snarl on the back end. I highly underrated the presence of Seidenberg on our defensive group and highly overrated the potential impact that Kostopoulos and Yelle would have on our 4th line.

At some point it goes away from, "it's just November", into the territory that we've lost 1/8th of our season in a row and we are now right at 1/5th of the way through our season with a whopping 7 points in the standings.
I know a lot of people who wanted nothing to do with Cole. I think at a certain point people just came to the conclusion we weren't about to make another move other than Cole, so it became a good signing because we got him "cheap."

Old
11-04-2009, 10:09 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

Quote:

Oh I know, that's part of what makes this season so damn depressing for me. I entered this season with extremely high hopes, I thought we were going to make a push back into the top 6 of the conference again with a team better built for the playoffs.

Oh how wrong I was.

This isn't even 2002-03 bad, and we finished dead ****ing last that year, this is a whole new level of terrible. 02-03 I thought we would win the division again but I thought the entire division was going to be terrible. But now? NOW? If JR doesn't go through with the rebuild starting by trading our impending UFAs at the deadline I probably am not going to renew season tickets next year. And I know more then a few people that are with me on that sentiment.

Old
11-04-2009, 10:11 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomMF View Post
I know a lot of people who wanted nothing to do with Cole. I think at a certain point people just came to the conclusion we weren't about to make another move other than Cole, so it became a good signing because we got him "cheap."
I wasn't talking about signing by signing, but rather the feel for the team that many of us had was overwhelmingly positive. In other words, anybody claiming they saw this coming and is now pointing to evidence postmortem is being a little disingenuous in my opinion.

The general consensus was that this team was going to be at the very least as good as our team was last season.

Vagrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 10:11 PM
DoomMF

Quote:
I wasn't talking about signing by signing, but rather the feel for the team that many of us had was overwhelmingly positive. In other words, anybody claiming they saw this coming and is now pointing to evidence postmortem is being a little disingenuous in my opinion.

The general consensus was that this team was going to be at the very least as good as our team was last season.
Ah, gotcha. My bad.