HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Gionta questionable against Bruins, Gill has fracture in foot

Old
11-04-2009, 09:00 PM
BaseballCoach

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post
according to the JM interview on HIO, Gio is expected to play tomorrow night, so in fact it is likely Chiphura and Stewart who are out (I actually thought chipper was improving steadily).
I think the candidates for sitting out are:

1. Stewart
2. Metropolit

If both callups play and Gionta plays, then I think it will be these two who sit out. Chipchura was on the ice for a regular shift in the 3rd period against Atlanta, Metropolit not so much.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 09:10 PM
Habs514

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post

1. Stewart
2. Metropolit

If both callups play and Gionta plays, then I think it will be these two who sit out. Chipchura was on the ice for a regular shift in the 3rd period against Atlanta, Metropolit not so much.
I wouldn't be suprised Stewart and Andrei sit tomorrow.

Habs514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 09:16 PM
Charlie Milles*
Uh... Go Canucks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
You have a fractured brain when it comes to assessing a hockey player.
I'm sorry, you're right. Gill has been solid on the blue line, the second coming of Doug Harvey.

Charlie Milles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 09:17 PM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:

1. Stewart
2. Metropolit

Ummm why ? Am i missing something here. You will sit out Metro for an AHL'r ? For absolutley no reason ?

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 09:21 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkinDrublic View Post
Ummm why ? Am i missing something here. You will sit out Metro for an AHL'r ? For absolutley no reason ?
I don't really understand why he's a 'candidate' to sit out either.

overlords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 09:24 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
I don't really understand why he's a 'candidate' to sit out either.
Latendresse should sit already.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 09:42 PM
CaptKirk

Quote:

1. Stewart
2. Metropolit

Stick to baseball

CaptKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 09:48 PM
InglewoodJack

vCash: 1340
Quote:

1. Stewart
2. Metropolit

So disregard Metro being PPG before yesterday, on pace for what, 75pts? Wait, he played a bad period.

Sit Chips if Gio (and Gomez?) play I want
AK-Gomez-Gionta
Lapierre-Plek-Cammy (even out the scoring)
Lats-Metro-MaxPac
Stew-Pyatt-White

Just sayin'

InglewoodJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 10:05 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Breton Oilers View Post
I'm sorry, you're right. Gill has been solid on the blue line, the second coming of Doug Harvey.
Solid on the blue line? Yes.
The next Doug Harvey? No. He's not here to play like Doug Harvey but his absence was certainly noticed last night against Atlanta.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 10:23 PM
Charlie Milles*
Uh... Go Canucks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
Solid on the blue line? Yes.
The next Doug Harvey? No. He's not here to play like Doug Harvey but his absence was certainly noticed last night against Atlanta.
He's not here to play like Doug Harvey, you're right. He's here to be a solid, experienced defenseman and so far he has not lived up to his billing. He has made too many mistakes and metal errors that shouldn't be made by a defenseman whose played over 850 games.

Old
11-04-2009, 10:32 PM
habtastic

Quote:

1. Stewart
2. Metropolit

From the interviews, I think it's clear Stewart is out. As Fish On the Sand rightly pointed out, White is likely insurance for Gio. I highly doubt Metro would be a scratch. JM isn't pissed with him or anything. If you listen to the interview, he was talking about Metro and Moen and said they have been our most consistent, but they just weren't having an "on" day, it wasn't that they weren't trying. Metro will be in. He's one of our best players and has perhaps had half a bad game. I just hope Jacques was right about Gio. We are not only going to have to score 4 or more goals, but also somehow be able to preserve it. I remember posting just before the ATL game about how many goals we needed to get a win with such bad D. I was being pseudo-sarcastic. Now it's a legitimate question. 84 and 40 are going to have to have big games for us. Pull their weight...literally.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 10:37 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkinDrublic View Post
Let me be clear. I would not sit Glen.

However, I get a feeling JM isn't happy with Metropolit the last couple of games. He mentioned at his press conference yesterday that Metropolit's role could be anywhere from 7th to 13th forward on this club.

He also mentioned, for the first time, that the reason he is on the PP sometimes is only because others faltered. Up to now, his praise for Glen was higher, and he would NEVER have mentioned 13th forward, unless it was on his mind that he might sit sometime.

Couple that with the fact that he chewed Metropolit out at practice the other day, then benched him Tuesday, while Chipchura got ice time late in the Atlanta game, and you get glimpses of why I think he MIGHT just sit Glen out for a game.

But this was all speculative based on
a) a radio report that Ryan White will be in the lineup, something I have not yet seen confirmed 100%; and
b) an HIO report that Gionta will be playing in Boston

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 10:37 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
there's nothing saying White has to play.
thats why i don't get why people are reading so much into this.

both were likely called up for precautionary reasons. I wouldn't be surprised if Dagostini is put on the IR for at least a week. Gionta is likely a go but you never know. Also, with the flu bug going thru most teams, it would be ideal to have another body.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 10:38 PM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs514 View Post
I wouldn't be suprised Stewart and Andrei sit tomorrow.
Andrei just had his best game of the year...

YMCMBeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 10:40 PM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Breton Oilers View Post
He's not here to play like Doug Harvey, you're right. He's here to be a solid, experienced defenseman and so far he has not lived up to his billing. He has made too many mistakes and metal errors that shouldn't be made by a defenseman whose played over 850 games.
Aside from maybe the first two games, I cannot think of plays that Gill has made that have made me exclaim in exasperation except the delay of game penalties, which are just annoying. He has been more than I expected and actually he tends to make the best play available in most situations, which is more than I can say for most. Again, he's not supposed to be more than our 5th or 6th D (I still don't know what to make of Mara). Yet, he consistently covers the man, has a great pokecheck, doesn't panic when challenged. He has not made more mistakes than anyone else on the team, not even close. Akost in our own zone is our worst defenceman. No, wait, sorry, forgot about the spectacular phenom MAB. Gill has a veteran style of playing. It is what it is, but in no way is it careless, give the puck away hockey. Btw, that 3rd goal against Toronto. That was his right?

Old
11-04-2009, 10:45 PM
habtastic

Quote:
Let me be clear. I would not sit Glen.

However, I get a feeling JM isn't happy with Metropolit the last couple of games. He mentioned at his press conference yesterday that Metropolit's role could be anywhere from 7th to 13th forward on this club.

He also mentioned, for the first time, that the reason he is on the PP sometimes is only because others faltered. Up to now, his praise for Glen was higher, and he would NEVER have mentioned 13th forward, unless it was on his mind that he might sit sometime.

Couple that with the fact that he chewed Metropolit out at practice the other day, then benched him Tuesday, while Chipchura got ice time late in the Atlanta game, and you get glimpses of why I think he MIGHT just sit Glen out for a game.

But this was all speculative based on
a) a radio report that Ryan White will be in the lineup, something I have not yet seen confirmed 100%; and
b) an HIO report that Gionta will be playing in Boston

http://www.gazblogs.com/habsinsideou...e/R09_0009.MP3

listen around 80% into the interview

Old
11-04-2009, 10:47 PM
Charlie Milles*
Uh... Go Canucks?

Quote:
Aside from maybe the first two games, I cannot think of plays that Gill has made that have made me exclaim in exasperation except the delay of game penalties, which are just annoying. He has been more than I expected and actually he tends to make the best play available in most situations, which is more than I can say for most. Again, he's not supposed to be more than our 5th or 6th D (I still don't know what to make of Mara). Yet, he consistently covers the man, has a great pokecheck, doesn't panic when challenged. He has not made more mistakes than anyone else on the team, not even close. Akost in our own zone is our worst defenceman. No, wait, sorry, forgot about the spectacular phenom MAB. Gill has a veteran style of playing. It is what it is, but in no way is it careless, give the puck away hockey. Btw, that 3rd goal against Toronto. That was his right?
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree because I see a Gill who panics, takes dumb penalties, lacks poise and lets players beat him with ease. His reach, that you allude to, isn't as important in the post-lockout NHL as it was before. Players are reluctant to reach out given the new rules on obstruction. He's no worse than Bergeron, I agree, but has been a liability more often than Hamirlik, Spacek, Mara and Gorges. No one expects him to score, no one expects him to think like Lidstrom but people do expect him to be solid and intelligent in his own end and he hasn't been, as of yet.

Old
11-04-2009, 10:47 PM
Arctic_Hab_Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pernell Karl View Post
Andrei just had his best game of the year...
That's not saying alot.

Arctic_Hab_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 10:53 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:

1. Stewart
2. Metropolit

if metro is healthy, he plays. For one thing, he hasnt done anything that would make martin sit him out, and he's a former bruin so he should have extra motivation.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 11:09 PM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic_Hab_Fan View Post
That's not saying alot.
I know it isn't but if you want to get a second line scoring then you need to get Andrei going. Sitting him right now would be a horrible idea.

YMCMBeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 11:15 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
Care to tell us how many games Pavelec played in the NHL last season...

thank you.

Pavelec was told he'd be given a fair shot at a spot.
Sergei was told he'd be given his chance on the roster after a meeting with Gainey and JM over the summer.

Pavelec played 2 preseason games (One good, and another he came in after Hedberg allowed 9Goals if I remember correctly).
Sergei played 2 preseason games (One bad, one good. Scored a goal at the first chance he got when he took Cammy's spot)

Pavelec was then sent down even though the other goalies weren't better.
Sergei was then sent down even though the rest of the players didn't perform better.

Pavelec refused to report to AHL, asked for a trade or else goes to KHL.
Sergei refused to report to AHL, asked for a trade or else goes to KHL.

You are absolutely right, there's close to no similarities.

Pavelec hadn't proven anything with only 7NHL Games as baggage.
Sergei has shown that he can be an important part of an offensive line.

So Ondrej had even less of a reason to rebel against the organization's decision.

So yea, there's a minor difference but the scenarios are still similar for the most part. I seriously can't believe I actually had to explain why they're similar.

My friend has an Accord coupe 2005, I have an Accord coupe 2005. Mine is blue, his is white. It's still the same freaking car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
Easy, he complained, end result 12 games... so since everyone in favor of a S.K. call-up like to bring the comparison to Pavelec and how it's exactly the same...

how about he gets called up, for no more than 12 games (for the whole season) ?

Just so people can keep saying it's exactly the same... you know...
How well did the Thrashers do last year?..If I remember correctly, they finished 13th in East..27th league wide.
How about their Goalies??..
Lehtonen finished with a 3.06GAA .911Sv% in 46GP.
Hedberg 33GP 3.49GAA .886Sv%.
Pavelev 12GP 3.61GAA .880Sv%.

Keeping Hedberg there instead of Pavelec didn't make their team better in any way.
Doesn't mean Pavelec would have necessarily been better, but I don't see how they would have been worse.
There's no way to know how it would have turned out. The only
thing we can say is that it didn't make them better.

Now if Sergei doesn't get called up, and we miss the POs. We'll never know if he could have helped the team (and possibly help his bro).

Pavelec at least had a shot to play. Sergei hasn't yet, hopefully when he does he'll perform well and be the good old player we all loved.

It's still early in the season, so no need to call him up now really. But if we keep losing, getting further and further away from the .500 mark, then we should give him a shot.

Even if you absolutely hate the player now and want him out, at least him playing well will get his value up. Can't get worse really.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 12:25 AM
habtastic

I have actually forgotten the last time I saw Sergei play well in a regular season game. Maybe January?

Also, it's escalated so far that there is no way this organization is going to bend over for SK. All he had to do was play like 5 games in the AHL. That's it. He couldn't handle that, he f'd himself. Can't have that attitude on a team. We are not the Atlanta Thrashers. Fine, they are getting great goaltending out of Pavelec, but i'll bet this wasn't a huge controversy over there, while this has been fully drawn out. I honestly wish he hadn't been a huge baby. I would have liked to see him play a few games. Unfortunately he burned his bridges.

Old
11-05-2009, 12:27 AM
CPrice

Quote:

1. Stewart
2. Metropolit

Metropolit? Honestly, I could think of half a dozen guys I'd sit out before him.

CPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 01:42 AM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post

Pavelec was told he'd be given a fair shot at a spot.
Sergei was told he'd be given his chance on the roster after a meeting with Gainey and JM over the summer.

Pavelec played 2 preseason games (One good, and another he came in after Hedberg allowed 9Goals if I remember correctly).
Sergei played 2 preseason games (One bad, one good. Scored a goal at the first chance he got when he took Cammy's spot)

Pavelec was then sent down even though the other goalies weren't better.
Sergei was then sent down even though the rest of the players didn't perform better.

Pavelec refused to report to AHL, asked for a trade or else goes to KHL.
Sergei refused to report to AHL, asked for a trade or else goes to KHL.

You are absolutely right, there's close to no similarities.

Pavelec hadn't proven anything with only 7NHL Games as baggage.
Sergei has shown that he can be an important part of an offensive line.

So Ondrej had even less of a reason to rebel against the organization's decision.

So yea, there's a minor difference but the scenarios are still similar for the most part. I seriously can't believe I actually had to explain why they're similar.

My friend has an Accord coupe 2005, I have an Accord coupe 2005. Mine is blue, his is white. It's still the same freaking car.

How well did the Thrashers do last year?..If I remember correctly, they finished 13th in East..27th league wide.
How about their Goalies??..
Lehtonen finished with a 3.06GAA .911Sv% in 46GP.
Hedberg 33GP 3.49GAA .886Sv%.
Pavelev 12GP 3.61GAA .880Sv%.

Keeping Hedberg there instead of Pavelec didn't make their team better in any way.
Doesn't mean Pavelec would have necessarily been better, but I don't see how they would have been worse.
There's no way to know how it would have turned out. The only
thing we can say is that it didn't make them better.

Now if Sergei doesn't get called up, and we miss the POs. We'll never know if he could have helped the team (and possibly help his bro).

Pavelec at least had a shot to play. Sergei hasn't yet, hopefully when he does he'll perform well and be the good old player we all loved.

It's still early in the season, so no need to call him up now really. But if we keep losing, getting further and further away from the .500 mark, then we should give him a shot.

Even if you absolutely hate the player now and want him out, at least him playing well will get his value up. Can't get worse really.
And when did I say that ?

Learn to read so you wont have to explain things people already know.

Yup, he shut up and went to the AHL, called up for only a few games in the NHL, and a year later, how does he look out there ?

who cares.

Again, when did I say that ?

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 01:46 AM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
I have actually forgotten the last time I saw Sergei play well in a regular season game. Maybe January?

Also, it's escalated so far that there is no way this organization is going to bend over for SK. All he had to do was play like 5 games in the AHL. That's it. He couldn't handle that, he f'd himself. Can't have that attitude on a team. We are not the Atlanta Thrashers. Fine, they are getting great goaltending out of Pavelec, but i'll bet this wasn't a huge controversy over there, while this has been fully drawn out. I honestly wish he hadn't been a huge baby. I would have liked to see him play a few games. Unfortunately he burned his bridges.

Yup, and because of what HE did, he played more than that already, and still counting...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote